What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Merill Hoge on Gabbert and Newton (1 Viewer)

Donnybrook

Footballguy
http://arizonasports...Cardinals-need/

Analyst thinks Blaine Gabbert and Cam Newton not what Arizona Cardinals need

By Greg Esposito/Arizona Sports

Published: March 31, 2011 @ 8:33am

If you think the Arizona Cardinals should draft Blaine Gabbert or Cam Newton with the No. 5 overall pick in this year's NFL draft, you might want to think again. That is if you put much stock into what ESPN NFL analyst Merril Hoge has to say.

Hoge isn't exactly what you'd call a fan of either player and he isn't afraid to voice his disdain for their games.

"If [blaine Gabbert] goes in the top 10 I think he's going to be a bust," he told Sports 620 KTAR's Gambo and Ash Thursday.

He didn't pull any punches when it came to Newton either.

"When you look at Cam Newton on a scale from one to 10 as far as athleticism he may be a 12," he proclaimed. "When you look at him as a quarterback he probably pushing around a four."

While he has obvious issues with both quarterbacks, it is for different reasons.

The analyst thinks that Gabbert lacks pocket presence which will hurt him in the NFL.

"I watched his pocket presence. I don't believe he has any," he told the hosts. "I watch him and I see if his first guy isn't there he's running. Someone said that's how he was trained there. That makes it an even bigger negative for me. Somebody who gets him has to break that massive habit they've established."

Accuracy is the knock Hoge has on Newton.

"Donovan [McNabb] would be a Kurt Warner compared to Cam Newton as far as accuracy goes."

"The only word I can use after watching four games is atrocious," he said. "You never know where that ball will end up. In fact, he was more of a runner than he ever was a passer."

If those comments aren't enough to sour you on the thought of either being drafted and thrown right into the mix for the starting job, how about this. Hoge feels both players need to sit for at least two years and require a strong defense and running game to be successful. All things Ken Whisenhunt and the Cards can't offer a quarterback.

The team needs a solid young quarterback that can solidify the position not only in the future but right now. If you trust Hoge then Gabbert and Newton aren't that guy. The question then becomes, who is?
Love him or hate him, Hoge sure likes to stir the pot. The link to audio of the entire interview can be found in the link provided. The Gabbert highlights I have came across seem to agree with Hoge's take on his pocket presense or lack thereof.

Hoge got a lot of flack for poopooing Vince Young, especially after his hot rookie year. Turns out he was prophetic.

You can't teach athleticism but you can teach quarterbacking. That's why I think someone will rake Newton early. Someone will think they can "fix" him. If he is a 12 in athleticism and 4 as a passer, that averages to an 8 out of 10. Somebody will take that gamble.

'Steed said:
Hoge got a lot of flack for poopooing Vince Young, especially after his hot rookie year. Turns out he was prophetic.
I think he was prophetic if he talked about work ethic and attitude, but not about whether the kid had skills to play in the NFL. There's no doubt Young has QB skills that he could develop into a strong NFL starter, but its the work he hasn't consistently put in or the mindset that has teams wary to deal with him. In this respect, I'm not sure Hoge was on point. That said, I enjoy watching Hoge break down film. Especially running plays - which is where I believe he shines.

I heard that some were comparing Gabbert to Trent Edwards. That's not a good thing. And if the knock on Gabbert is that he has no pocket presence, then I can see where they're coming from. I still think Edwards could be a decent QB if he had pocket presence and wasn't afraid to throw downfield. But if you don't have pocket presence in the NFL, you're not going to last long.

I heard that some were comparing Gabbert to Trent Edwards. That's not a good thing. And if the knock on Gabbert is that he has no pocket presence, then I can see where they're coming from. I still think Edwards could be a decent QB if he had pocket presence and wasn't afraid to throw downfield. But if you don't have pocket presence in the NFL, you're not going to last long.
Someone also compared Christian Ponder to Trent Edwards. Trent seems to be fresh in everyone's minds lately...maybe he should take advantage and demand to be a starter.

Agreed. Kevin O'Connell, a 3rd round pick of the Patriots, was given his walking papers for basically the same reason. According to reports, he had no pocket presence. I remember being disappointed that Vikings didn't draft him in 2008. He has NFL size, a strong arm and ran a 4.61 40 at the combine.

Someone also compared Christian Ponder to Trent Edwards. Trent seems to be fresh in everyone's minds lately...maybe he should take advantage and demand to be a starter.
He can pitch it as 'Hey, I'm that dude you get reminded of by Ponder and Gabbert? Go for the real deal!'

I agree. I'm not convinced that either of these guys should be top 10 picks, particularly Gabbert. At least Newton has outstanding athletic tools that a team could convince itself that they can take advantage of. Gabbert breaks down under pressure in my opinion, and doesn't really have a trump card that makes him better than a pretty good all-around prospect, but not someone I'm taking in the top 10 or possibly even in the first round.

If my team needed a QB, I'd rather take Locker in the mid-late first than get Gabbert or Newton in the top 5/10.

My only problem with pointing out a "look what Pundit X said" is that every pundit, almost by definition, can be made to look awful or sage. Kiper has had calls that worked out perfectly, and he's had calls that have looked ridiculous in retrospect. Same for Joel B (RIP), Mayock, or any other draft analyst you want to dig up. And let's extend that to NFL GMs and personnel executives. If we could go back and review all their official draft boards, we would see a LOT of rankings that appear way off the mark in retrospect.

So ultimately I think Hoge's thoughts on these two QBs are not without merit, but whether you give them real weight or not is probably going to come down to whether you've generally agreed with Hoge or not in the past.

So ultimately I think Hoge's thoughts on these two QBs are not without merit, but whether you give them real weight or not is probably going to come down to whether you've generally agreed with Hoge or not in the past.
For the record, I have never really agreed with Hoge in the past. I do think he brings up a real issue with Gabbert that many are just glossing over.

It IS pretty amazing that before all players had declared, not only was it unanimous that Luck was the only QB worthy of going #1, but it was pretty well agreed that none of the other QBs were truly first round material probably.

And yet here we are a few months later and it's very possible that Gabbert or Newton could go #1 overall and a few other guys could go in the first round.

Just goes to show how desperate teams are for QBs and how they dig themselves into holes by overpaying when the talent isn't there.

My only problem with pointing out a "look what Pundit X said" is that every pundit, almost by definition, can be made to look awful or sage. Kiper has had calls that worked out perfectly, and he's had calls that have looked ridiculous in retrospect. Same for Joel B (RIP), Mayock, or any other draft analyst you want to dig up. And let's extend that to NFL GMs and personnel executives. If we could go back and review all their official draft boards, we would see a LOT of rankings that appear way off the mark in retrospect. So ultimately I think Hoge's thoughts on these two QBs are not without merit, but whether you give them real weight or not is probably going to come down to whether you've generally agreed with Hoge or not in the past.
Well spoken.

Users who are viewing this thread