What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mike Vrabel traded to the Chiefs (1 Viewer)

Crazy news. Pretty smart on the part of the Pats though - keep Tedy in for cheap to teach the younger guys, and trade for Julius Peppers to supercharge that pass-rush.

I know it's popular for a new regime to bring in some of "their guys" but I wonder often if it has the desired effect. It's one thing if your Parcells and you bring a young Curtis Martin over to the Jets. It's another thing when you bring an aged veteran [who was never GREAT to begin with] and try to instill character rather than add to the level of the team's talent.

Nice move for the Pats. Vrabel isn't special at all.

Fans won't be happy, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not happy about this. Not happy one bit.
if you're a NE fan, you should be thrilled. Getting anything of value back for him at this stage and clearing $3m off the books is about as good as they could do. Great move on their part (IMO).

This is a good move for both teams. The Pats have outside depth and the Chiefs needed a LB that understands the 3-4 defense and can act as a coach on the field. Vrabel wasn't that effective last year but as McGinnest did with Cleveland he will be an asset to the players around him. Good character guy as well.

Oh, do you know what they got? If so, please share.
I don't, but considering what we've heard Cleveland is getting for Winslow, and that Pioli is likely the force behind getting Vrabel, I'd expect a pick of some level & the cap room. There are a LOT of LB's out there better than Vrabel, and making him going away gives you the cash to sign one.

Nice move for the Pats. Vrabel isn't special at all.Fans won't be happy, though.
Why is it that everything the Pats do eveyrone thinks it's a nice move for the Pats? Having said that, I do think Vrabel is well past his prime, but I'm not so sure they don't still need him.

This is a good move for both teams. The Pats have outside depth and the Chiefs needed a LB that understands the 3-4 defense and can act as a coach on the field. Vrabel wasn't that effective last year but as McGinnest did with Cleveland he will be an asset to the players around him. Good character guy as well.
Link?

Nice move for the Pats. Vrabel isn't special at all.Fans won't be happy, though.
Why is it that everything the Pats do eveyrone thinks it's a nice move for the Pats? Having said that, I do think Vrabel is well past his prime, but I'm not so sure they don't still need him.
See above - he is easily replaced in FA by a number of more talented younger guys.Yes, he helps KC with character, and as a guy who knows the scheme, but that's not as much value to the Pats. I am not a Pats fanboy - I've hated them for decades.

Fans won't be happy, though.
See above - he is easily replaced in FA by a number of more talented younger guys.Yes, he helps KC with character, and as a guy who knows the scheme, but that's not as much value to the Pats. I am not a Pats fanboy - I've hated them for decades.
I'll take a list of FA's who can easily replace Vrabel, thanks. Be sure they can play pretty much anywhere in a 3-4.

if you're a NE fan, you should be thrilled. Getting anything of value back for him at this stage and clearing $3m off the books is about as good as they could do. Great move on their part (IMO).
"Great move" yet you don't know what they got for him. Good stuff.
The point is... they got "something", which anyway you look at it is better than "nothing". They also free up $3million in cap space that was tied up in a 35yr old LB who clearly lost a step or three last season. I can understand being sentimental about a player who has done so much for your team over the years, but it was his time. Chances are he would have been reduced to a situational pass rusher in '09. No need to have that cash tied up in a 35yr old ptp. NE needs to get young at that OLB spot, and this was a great first step.

The point is... they got "something", which anyway you look at it is better than "nothing". They also free up $3million in cap space that was tied up in a 35yr old LB who clearly lost a step or three last season. I can understand being sentimental about a player who has done so much for your team over the years, but it was his time. Chances are he would have been ruduced to a situational pass rusher in '09. No need to have that cash tied up in a 35yr old NE needs to get young at that OLB spot, and this was a great first step.
I believe he's 33, not 35.

The point is... they got "something", which anyway you look at it is better than "nothing". They also free up $3million in cap space that was tied up in a 35yr old LB who clearly lost a step or three last season. I can understand being sentimental about a player who has done so much for your team over the years, but it was his time. Chances are he would have been ruduced to a situational pass rusher in '09. No need to have that cash tied up in a 35yr old NE needs to get young at that OLB spot, and this was a great first step.
:rolleyes: It's not being "sentimental" to object to a trade being called "great" when the person calling it great doesn't know what the Patriots are getting back, and obviously doesn't know what they're giving up either. Vrabel is at least an average linebacker who is intimately familiar with multiple roles on a complex defense. They have nobody on the roster I'm comfortable with just handing the OLB spot in a very complex defense.

If this is part one of some kind of other deal, then fine. If they're just moving Vrabel to get like a 4th round pick and $3 million in cap, then it's a terrible trade. Either way, calling it "great" without knowing what they're getting back is ridiculous.

I believe he's 33, not 35.
He'll be 34 when the season starts so lets meet in the middle.Point remains.... he is older and his pass rushing skills have erroded considerably.

Just to be clear the deal is not done -- still awaiting the physical results.
Boston.com
When reached via email, Patriots linebacker Mike Vrabel confirmed that he has been dealt to the Kansas City Chiefs, as first reported by the NFL Network.In response to an email that asked, "Have you been traded to the Kansas City Chiefs?"Vrabel responded with a one word answer: "Yes."And so ends his eight-year career with the Patriots, which includes three Super Bowl titles and the only Pro Bowl berth of his career, which came in 2007, when he had 12.5 sacks, the most by a Patriot since 1987 and the most by a Patriots player under coach Bill Belichick.

:hifive: It's not being "sentimental" to object to a trade being called "great" when the person calling it great doesn't know what the Patriots are getting back, and obviously doesn't know what they're giving up either. Vrabel is at least an average linebacker who is intimately familiar with multiple roles on a complex defense. They have nobody on the roster I'm comfortable with just handing the OLB spot in a very complex defense.

If this is part one of some kind of other deal, then fine. If they're just moving Vrabel to get like a 4th round pick and $3 million in cap, then it's a terrible trade. Either way, calling it "great" without knowing what they're getting back is ridiculous.
Maybe I should bold it for you.THEY ARE GETTING 3 MILLION DOLLARS IN CAP SPACE.

The pick is just frosting (and I would be mildly surprised if it were a 4th. A 5th is more likely IMO).

:hifive: It's not being "sentimental" to object to a trade being called "great" when the person calling it great doesn't know what the Patriots are getting back, and obviously doesn't know what they're giving up either. Vrabel is at least an average linebacker who is intimately familiar with multiple roles on a complex defense. They have nobody on the roster I'm comfortable with just handing the OLB spot in a very complex defense.

The pick is just frosting (and I would be mildly surprised if it were a 4th. A 5th is more likely IMO).
So I post about how Vrabel is still a very valuable player in the defense, I don't think he's easily replaceable, and I think it's a terrible trade for a 4th round pick, and it's too big of a mental leap for you to conclude that I think he's worth more than getting rid of for $3 million in cap space?Seriously?

ETA: Just to make sure you can conclude that I'm aware of this as well:

I AM AWARE THAT TRADING MIKE VRABEL OPENS UP A ROSTER SPOT

From what I am hearing *** SPECULATION *** has this part of a larger deal with KC that involves Cassel going to KC and the Pats likely getting something like a 1st and a 3rd coming back to NE. So the Pats would end up with the #3 overall pick in this *** SPECULATED *** deal.

From what I am hearing *** SPECULATION *** has this part of a larger deal with KC that involves Cassel going to KC and the Pats likely getting something like a 1st and a 3rd coming back to NE. So the Pats would end up with the #3 overall pick in this *** SPECULATED *** deal.
I was just making fun of the Big Show guys to some friends for suggesting this was possible. Oof.

WOW!! As a Chiefs fan, I do not like that deal at all...

:confused: It's not being "sentimental" to object to a trade being called "great" when the person calling it great doesn't know what the Patriots are getting back, and obviously doesn't know what they're giving up either. Vrabel is at least an average linebacker who is intimately familiar with multiple roles on a complex defense. They have nobody on the roster I'm comfortable with just handing the OLB spot in a very complex defense.

So I post about how Vrabel is still a very valuable player in the defense, I don't think he's easily replaceable, and I think it's a terrible trade for a 4th round pick, and it's too big of a mental leap for you to conclude that I think he's worth more than getting rid of for $3 million in cap space?Seriously?
If you think Vrabel at this stage is more valuable to NE (as a 34yr old situational player), than 3 million dollars in cap space, then I don’t know what to tell you.They need a pass rush and/or better CB's.

This move helps free up some cash to possibly address those needs (Bodden/Peppers?).

To also clarify, picks might be moved around as well in terms of who drafts where in what round. So Pats might flip flop in certain rounds with KC. Guess we'll have to wait and see . . .

That would be a pretty big coup for the Pats. Either they trade down or draft Curry.

Chiefs acquire LB Vrabel from Patriots for picks

John Clayton, ESPN.com

The Chiefs were the youngest teams in football last year but new general manager Scott Pioli wanted to install some veteran leadership.

Story | Conversation | February 27, 2009

Link http://search.espn.go.com/vrabel/

:jawdrop:

I believe by trading Vrabel first it gets them immediate cap relief to do something else, so the deal *** COULD *** end up with Cassel, Vrabel, and the Pats current first round pick for the Chiefs 1st and 3rd round picks (or picks in a future draft). Basically, in this scenario, Pats would move up 21 spots in the first round and get a 3rd rounder for Cassel and Vrabel (or something like that).Again, all SPECULATION at this point.

Not to pull your card or nothing man...(seriously, this isn't meant to offend) but I see you post this a lot, and a fair amount of the time you are dead wrong about stuff. Do you have a source within the organization, or are you just a news hound like the rest of us? Serious question, again it's not meant to offend.

I just cant imagine a scenario in which Pioli would make this deal.

I believe by trading Vrabel first it gets them immediate cap relief to do something else, so the deal *** COULD *** end up with Cassel, Vrabel, and the Pats current first round pick for the Chiefs 1st and 3rd round picks (or picks in a future draft). Basically, in this scenario, Pats would move up 21 spots in the first round and get a 3rd rounder for Cassel and Vrabel (or something like that).Again, all SPECULATION at this point.
Why would they need "immediate cap relief" to trade Matt Cassel's $14.5 million figure for draft picks?

well if it's involving the Pats #1 I think it's a much worse deal for NE. I think there is great quality at OLB at #23.

That would be a pretty big coup for the Pats. Either they trade down or draft Curry.
That would be an absolutely horrible trade for KC. And I love how it's assumed the Pats could just "trade down" from #3 overall if they wanted.

Not to pull your card or nothing man...(seriously, this isn't meant to offend) but I see you post this a lot, and a fair amount of the time you are dead wrong about stuff. Do you have a source within the organization, or are you just a news hound like the rest of us? Serious question, again it's not meant to offend.

Yeah, sounds like Yudkin is just speculating. He should make that clear in his posts imo.

Both to your questions. Don't remember posting too many things that were way off base. What have I posted that has been way off in the past?In this instance, this is speculation and not something I heard directly directed at me. Combination of things from the media (Shefter, Felger, Curran).

My most reliable source has said there's too much flying around right now to have a total grasp on this one yet.

Why would they need "immediate cap relief" to trade Matt Cassel's $14.5 million figure for draft picks?
They wouldn't. But they could need imediate cap relief to ink Bodden, which is the real reason I think they made this deal. Just some "Speculation" on my part though.

Yeah, sounds like Yudkin is just speculating. He should make that clear in his posts imo.
I was referring to the "From what im hearing" portion of his post. But thanks for chiming in.

Not sure how familiar you are with DY or not, but he is NOT wrong a fair amount of the time. In fact, there isn't a better source with an inside link to a team on these boards than DY. One of the best assets about coming around these parts. And no, he's not just a news hound from my understanding.

Users who are viewing this thread