What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ahman Green makes down payment on single parent home (1 Viewer)

Slinger

Footballguy
Link

Texans' Green to make down payment on home for No. 30 jersey

Associated Press

HOUSTON -- When Ahman Green arrived in Houston he figured he'd have to go deep into his pockets to get his beloved No. 30 from longtime Texan Jason Simmons.

Green was right about the switch costing him, but not in the way he expected. Simmons said he'd gladly surrender the number if Green made the down payment on a home for a single parent.

The deal was a relief to Green, who signed as free agent with the Texans after playing in Green Bay since 2000. The running back admitted to being nervous that he wouldn't be able to get his number.

He readied himself for what he thought might be an awkward conversation since Simmons had worn the number for Houston since the team's inception in 2002. But as soon as he got the question out, he knew it wouldn't be a problem.

"He said what he wanted to do and I said: 'Yeah I'm all on board. That's easy,"' Green said. "Tell me where to write the check to. So instead of putting the money into his pocket, he's going to put in into somebody else's home, house and help them get their life started."

Green didn't know this at the time, but he had no reason to worry that Simmons wouldn't help him out because the cornerback had admired his game since the two played against each other in college.

"I've been a fan of his for a while," Simmons said. "He's got size and speed and balance that you don't see much in running backs. You don't see guys that can make the tough runs and also take it 80 yards. So that's a rare combination."

Simmons said Green sounded nervous when he called.

"I did hear that in his tone," Simmons said. "He was like: 'Uh just wondering if' and kind of stuttering a little bit. It was kind of different to hear. I didn't recognize his voice just because it seemed like there was that apprehension."

Green signed a four-year, $23 million contract in the offseason to replace franchise leading rusher Domanick Williams (formerly Davis) who was released after missing all of last season with injuries. He has 8,491 yards and 54 touchdowns in his nine-year career that began with Seattle.

He said the plan was good not only because they can help a family, but because the moment forged an instant bond between the two players.

"He opened his arms already as a new

Win-win. Green gets his number, and Simmons baby-mama has a house. :goodposting:
I must have missed the second part of that in the article?
Simmons said charity has long been important to him and he thought Green's request would be a perfect opportunity to help others."It's just been on my mind to go out and help a family in need," Simmons said. "I just understand that it's not all about money. In my life, I never want to get caught up in just money because it can ruin you."The pair are working out the details of their donation and said they'll announce exactly what the contribution is when it happens.

Win-win.

Green gets his number, and Simmons baby-mama has a house. :goodposting:
Simmons said charity has long been important to him and he thought Green's request would be a perfect opportunity to help others.

"It's just been on my mind to go out and help a family in need," Simmons said. "I just understand that it's not all about money. In my life, I never want to get caught up in just money because it can ruin you."

The pair are working out the details of their donation and said they'll announce exactly what the contribution is when it happens.
Well, it doesn't actually say that but I believe it's a reasonable inference. Congrats to Simmons for doing the honorable thing.

The article got cut off, but Simmons gave up his jersey to Green for a donation to charity? That's great! Good couple of guys, Simmons and Green. Hopefully others follow their lead.

The article got cut off, but Simmons gave up his jersey to Green for a donation to charity? That's great! Good couple of guys, Simmons and Green. Hopefully others follow their lead.
Yup. Green was nervous when asking and Simmons basically said that it was cool as long as he put a down payment on a house for a single parent family.

Win-win.

Green gets his number, and Simmons baby-mama has a house. :goodposting:
Simmons said charity has long been important to him and he thought Green's request would be a perfect opportunity to help others.

"It's just been on my mind to go out and help a family in need," Simmons said. "I just understand that it's not all about money. In my life, I never want to get caught up in just money because it can ruin you."

The pair are working out the details of their donation and said they'll announce exactly what the contribution is when it happens.
Well, it doesn't actually say that but I believe it's a reasonable inference. Congrats to Simmons for doing the honorable thing.
I really don't see that. I just think he wants to support some single parent somewhere...I don't think it has any relation to Simmons. That's just my take.

Win-win.

Green gets his number, and Simmons baby-mama has a house. :shock:

I really don't see that. I just think he wants to support some single parent somewhere...I don't think it has any relation to Simmons. That's just my take.
yeah, I think that's right. But I kinda like the baby-momma angle.

This was a great story. But this is all on Simmons. Green didn't do anything special. Simmons said he'd give up the jersey # and basically gave up the money Green paid him for it to charity.

Simmons is the good guy here. Green just bought a jersey number.

J

This was a great story. But this is all on Simmons. Green didn't do anything special. Simmons said he'd give up the jersey # and basically gave up the money Green paid him for it to charity.Simmons is the good guy here. Green just bought a jersey number.J
Probably you are right. Depends on how much the down payment is vs the cost of a number

Joe Bryant said:
This was a great story. But this is all on Simmons. Green didn't do anything special. Simmons said he'd give up the jersey # and basically gave up the money Green paid him for it to charity.Simmons is the good guy here. Green just bought a jersey number.J
Was thinking the same thing. Green just did what all the guys do, pay for a number he wants. Kudos to Simmons who takes the cash and donates it.As for it being his baby's mama, just a poorly thought out twist on a feel good story. We need to hear about the good stories in the NFL considering the negative pub that the league gets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe Bryant said:
Was thinking the same thing. Green just did what all the guys do, pay for a number he wants. Kudos to Simmons who takes the cash and donates it.
:yes: :clap:

redman said:
fatness said:
redman said:
Win-win.

Green gets his number, and Simmons baby-mama has a house. ;)

:banned: Terrible inference...so because Simmons is doing a pretty good thing he must have alterior motives.

My first thought was why is it just the down payment. Why not a trust fund or something for the kids to go to college at the same time. I mean how much is the typical down payment on a house maybe 20k at the most (and that is on a $200,000 house). Yes it's a nice gesture but is 20k really that much?

The NFL needs more pub like this right now.

They should convice 60 minutes to follow Warrick Dunn around in the offseason.

I think $20,000 to $30,000 is roughly the going rate amongst players, for buying numbers.

That Simmons used the money (regardless of the amount) for the good of others, as opposed to pocketing the money, can only be viewed as a good thing.

:thumbdown:

Joe Bryant said:
Was thinking the same thing. Green just did what all the guys do, pay for a number he wants. Kudos to Simmons who takes the cash and donates it.As for it being his baby's mama, just a poorly thought out twist on a feel good story. We need to hear about the good stories in the NFL considering the negative pub that the league gets.
While we're at it, how about Braylon Edwards pledging one million dollars toward scholarships for Cleveland kids? That's fantastic. Edwards is a rich guy. But he's not rich enough that he won't feel the hit of a million bucks spread out. That's a huge story. :confused:The funniest part was that he said the kids could even use them torward Ohio State if they wanted... J

While we're at it, how about Braylon Edwards pledging one million dollars toward scholarships for Cleveland kids? That's fantastic. Edwards is a rich guy. But he's not rich enough that he won't feel the hit of a million bucks spread out. That's a huge story. :shrug:The funniest part was that he said the kids could even use them torward Ohio State if they wanted... J
Yeah the Ohio State thing was funny. Kudos to Braylon on this one, that is a substantial gift to give, regardless of how much money he is making.Reminded me a bit of that jackass Alexei Yashin's $1 million donation.....to bad he retracted cause it didn't give him as much tax relief as he thought it would.

Texans | Green keeps promise to make down payment Published Mon Jul 23 8:37:00 p.m. ET 2007

(KFFL) The Associated Press reports Houston Texans RB Ahman Green, who agreed to make a down payment on a home for a single parent in exchange for the No. 30 from teammate FS Jason Simmons, made a down payment on a home for single mother Regina Foster. Foster has a 7-year-old autistic son. Green contributed $25,000 and Texans owner Bob McNair contributed the rest of the $50,000 down payment that Foster received.

Sad thing is, first thing I thought when I read this article was that Green likely paid more money on that down payment than Mike Vick gave to the families of the VT shootings.

EDIT:Oops, didnt see that last part. Green and McNair both gave $25,000, Vick $10,000. Guess he lost a few dog fights that month.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread