What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The saga continues in Titans camp..Brown back? (1 Viewer)

bigreese82

Footballguy
http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/articl...414/1328/SPORTS

Friday, 06/01/07

June loses its luster for Titans

This date once was busy one for moves

By JIM WYATT

Staff Writer

NFL general managers used to have June 1 circled on the calendar.

Teams in need of salary cap relief released expensive veterans on that date, and teams with cap room were poised to bid for their services.

It's not such a free-for-all any more. Recent developments in the collective bargaining agreement could make today and the days that follow pretty uneventful. But that doesn't mean Titans GM Mike Reinfeldt isn't looking for other ways to upgrade his roster.

In recent days, he's had conversations with veteran running back Chris Brown about possibly returning to the Titans and has started working to sign some of this year's draft picks.

Reinfeldt said he also hopes to begin discussing long-term deals with some veterans who have one year remaining on their contracts — a group that could include guard Jacob Bell and defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth.

He'll also keep an eye on the waiver wire.

As Reinfeldt watched the Titans finish off their final practice of the May minicamp Thursday, the first-year GM knew there probably would be some changes to the roster by the time training camp begins at the end of July.

"There are some spots where we may add more depth,'' Reinfeldt said. "I think wide receiver is one area and potentially the halfback is, too. A defensive lineman is a possibility.

"It is a year-round process, and we will continue the process. As people get released, potential trades are out there. … And those are things we continue to evaluate as we try and get our roster where we need it by the start of the regular season.''

Former Titans on radar

With the extension of the collective bargaining agreement last year, the salary cap rose significantly, leaving fewer teams scrambling for ways to get under it.

A rule was added that allows teams to release two players before June 1 and still get post-June 1 benefits, such as being able to stretch out the salary cap hit over two seasons instead of one.

"It won't be as big a day or dramatic a day as it has been in past years,'' Reinfeldt said. "There will probably be a couple of surprises, a couple of people you won't expect. There will be some activity, but not a flood of activity.''

One player the Titans have an eye on is New York Jets receiver Justin McCareins, whose $2.9 million cap figure makes him a candidate to be cut. Brown is in the picture perhaps because of uncertainty with running backs LenDale White and rookie Chris Henry.

White returned to the practice field Thursday after missing three weeks with a hamstring injury. Henry has gotten a lot of reps, but hasn't been overly impressive.

Brown spent the past four seasons with the Titans, but was demoted to the No. 3 back last year behind Travis Henry and White.

"It is possible that Chris could come back, I wouldn't rule that out,'' Reinfeldt said. "He is a veteran who has lined up and done it and that is always a good thing.''Working on draft picks

Instead of waiting until mid-July to finish contracts for their 10 draft picks, Reinfeldt has already started the process.

Although deals for first-round pick Michael Griffin and second-round pick Chris Henry are likely a ways off, the Titans already have made offers to at least seven other picks. Reinfeldt said about 25 draft picks around the league have agreed to deals so far.

"Of course it still takes two sides to make the deal, but if you make a good-faith effort to get it done early and get an offer to a player, it helps clear things up before training camp and you can focus more on on-the-field stuff instead of off-the-field stuff,'' Reinfeldt said. "I think that is a positive and I think that is the right way to do it, to be proactive.''

................................................................................

When Wyatt talks...listen

I wouldn't jump off the Lendale bandwagon just yet....and definitely wouldn't jump on the Henry one

Lendale has football talent...just not committed.....Henry not as much football talent...and very committed...Chris Brown...football talent....just can't stay healthy(or at least not in the past) I still think Lendale will be the starter but Henry and maybe Brown will spell him...if needed :yucky:

This is an obvious move for the Titans and I'm surprised that it took them this long to realize. I don't if there were personality issues/bad blood but on an NFL level Brown is much better than Henry or White at this point.

Titans might be one of the worst, if not the worst run franchise in the NFL. They can't help but step & slip on any banana peel in their path, while many others find ways to just walk around it.

Last edited by a moderator:
then trade Lendale. If they revert back to Brown and don't move forward, there's no reason for Lendale to be there. Get what you can for him and move on, bad attitudes are contagious.

Chatting with the Cowboys or Redskins about a trade for a RB should be a good idea. high pick in 08 for a RB like Betts or Jones is worth it IMO.

I think people forget Brown has been a 1000 yard rusher.
yeah, in only 11 games, too.I don't get this. Brown was a stud in 04, the whole team imploded in 05, and he's exiled in 06....now they want him back in 07? WTF?We all know he has injury issues, but he sure seems like the best RB the Titans could put on the field at the moment...weird...

My money is on Lendale...There was so much bad blood with the C.Brown situation. I still think a better situation will arise for him than TN. I think he would be in a 3 way rotation here. He might be the most talented but you don't draft 2 rbs in back to back years in the 2ND ROUND and let them sit for a RB that will be gone and more than likely you won't sign to a long term contract...maybe my thinking is off

I wonder how much team brass regrets not having pulled the trigger for Turner. They certainly had the pick(s) and cap room to get it done.

then trade Lendale. If they revert back to Brown and don't move forward, there's no reason for Lendale to be there. Get what you can for him and move on, bad attitudes are contagious.
I'd think that White's trade value is very low considering he's done nothing on the field and his work ethic appears to be on a Mike Williams level. He's probably worth more to them, baggage and all, than a potential 4th/5th round draft pick.

yeah, in only 11 games, too.I don't get this. Brown was a stud in 04, the whole team imploded in 05, and he's exiled in 06....now they want him back in 07? WTF?We all know he has injury issues, but he sure seems like the best RB the Titans could put on the field at the moment...weird...
I agree and I think there may be more behind the scenes, maybe some bad blood on one or both sides.

My money is on Lendale...There was so much bad blood with the C.Brown situation. I still think a better situation will arise for him than TN. I think he would be in a 3 way rotation here. He might be the most talented but you don't draft 2 rbs in back to back years in the 2ND ROUND and let them sit for a RB that will be gone and more than likely you won't sign to a long term contract...maybe my thinking is off
You do if both those RB's stink and are barely NFL worthy. These are 2nd round picks not top 5 1st round picks so they don't have top money invested in these guys. They will play the best player regardless of where they were drafted.

I agree and I think there may be more behind the scenes, maybe some bad blood on one or both sides.
Last year Brown and the Titans couldn't wait to go separate ways...he wanted out and they let him sit and rot on the bench so it created a lot of acrimony.Now both sides are free of each other and they want to reconcile? I ain't buying it...neither side should be that desperate yet, it's barely June.If this does happen, it will be because Tenn needs Brown as a starter and they'll pay him accordingly. For the Titans to bring back a malcontent and not play him would make absolutely no sense, particularly on a younger squad in building mode. You don't need that kind of influence in the locker room when guys are new to the league or team.

That they are keeping him on their radar hardly means Brown will be back.
Reopening the door to the possibility says something, though.
Yeah, it says they will still pay him less than he wants to be a RB2-RB3. Unless I'm mistaken, nothing has really changed as these same comments have been attributed to the organization from time to time since T.Henry jumped ship.

I think this is a solid move for both parties. Brown is the best available back out there (by far) and if Henry and White are not cutting it, the Titans need to swallow their pride, get a one year deal done with brown and take a wait and see approach for next year.

Brown on the other hand has been waiting for a suitor, but no one has signed him as of yet. I believe he is waiting at this point to see if a starter gets injured and then sign on with that team (again, I believe it would be a short-term deal). If that is the case, he may as well sign with the Titans where it looks as though he would get a fair crack at the starter's job, plus he already knows the system. That is the most important point, because either way, he will probably be finding a new home in '08 no matter where he signs...and why not go to place where you have the best chance at succeeding , thereby making yourself more marketable for the next go around of FA.

I don't expect Henry to be impressive, so that's not much of a surprise. Brown shouldn't be so quick to cut off his nose to spite his face. He could probably get 200+ carries pretty easily this season considering the available options.

Chris Henry = (a) J.J. Arrington, (b) Mike Mamula

i.e. (a) 2nd round bust, (b) a combine wonder

I think Brown is good and could be featured RB. Of course, he's shown to be injury prone, so a decent back up must be in the wings.My comments towards the Titans is more geared about their ability to make decisions. The McNair situation, the WR moves, then letting T. Henry the open market when they clearly had questions about Lendale. Sitting Brown most of the year as #3 RB, then letting him go, but still wishing he was still there. Their drafting comes into question too...where's the lil energizer bunny? It keeps going and going and going and going and....

But didn't Henry run a 4.3ish 40? :lmao:
What does his 40 time have to do with practice? This may come as a shock to a guy who cheers for teams that draft only All-Pro Embryos, but the rest of us lameoids cheer for teams who have players go to practice in hopes of improving.

But didn't Henry run a 4.3ish 40? :lmao:
What does his 40 time have to do with practice? This may come as a shock to a guy who cheers for teams that draft only All-Pro Embryos, but the rest of us lameoids cheer for teams who have players go to practice in hopes of improving.
I think the point was that your squad drafted a guy with almost NO college production in the second round simply because he wowed them at the combine.

With Brown, at least defense would have to respect the running game. He is injury prone, but he is a respectable NFL RB. From Browns perspective, playing time has to be #1 for him long term, to increase his value.

But didn't Henry run a 4.3ish 40? :banned:
I think the point was that your squad drafted a guy with almost NO college production in the second round simply because he wowed them at the combine.
A good point. I didn't really gather that kind of cohesion from L's post.

Titans might be one of the worst, if not the worst run franchise in the NFL. They can't help but step & slip on any banana peel in their path, while many others find ways to just walk around it.
The Lions and Cardinals might disagree.They made their long run by avoiding cap issues with carefully done contracts...knowing they would have to blow it up and start over. Its the choice they made...but in no way are they the worst run franchise out there.

This is obviously a ploy to motivate LenDale White.

No, really....we need to bring the line back this year and replace Tatum with LenDale because it seems to me they are trying to light a fire under the kid.

This is obviously a ploy to motivate LenDale White.

No, really....we need to bring the line back this year and replace Tatum with LenDale because it seems to me they are trying to light a fire under the kid.
Mmmm. Pig roast... :homer:

The Lions and Cardinals might disagree.They made their long run by avoiding cap issues with carefully done contracts...knowing they would have to blow it up and start over. Its the choice they made...but in no way are they the worst run franchise out there.
The Raiders might say :homer: as well - especially lately.

This is obviously a ploy to motivate LenDale White. No, really....we need to bring the line back this year and replace Tatum with LenDale because it seems to me they are trying to light a fire under the kid.
or maybe they are trying to get a legitimate NFL RB on their roster. How much motivating does this kid need? Does he really need a coach to follow him around and make sure he eats right, works out, comes to practice and works hard? If that's the case his time in the NFL will end once his contract is up.

Wow. The Titans moves the last couple of seasons have been extremely suspect. I mean the Mcnair situation, drafting guys like White (unmotivated), Henry (good combine numbers, mediocre to bad player), bringing in K. Collins to start the season last year so late into training camp. I do give them credit for drafting V. Young, but some of their other decisions have been a little mind boggling.

Why didin't they just pay T. Henry to be their starter for the next couple of seasons? I think if they offered him a fair contract and said you will be our starter they could have had him. I mean the guy is a former probowler and played extremely well for them last year. In fact, he and V. Young were the reasons they did what they did last year.

I think for fantasy purposes stay away from this situation unless you can get Brown late and gamble that he will end up getting touches.

White, and Henry seemed doomed to fail.

Very smart move for TEN given LenDale's track record and Henry's lack of experience. Brown should come pretty cheap at this point. Hopefully more competition could actually make one of these guys an impact player in fantasy. My money is still on C-Hen given the confidence Fisher and Titans running backs coach Sherman Smith have shown after the draft.

"We feel like Chris is an every down back … he has excellent hands, he's very high-character player," Fisher said. "He doesn't have the stats, he doesn't have the numbers. … We're confident that he will have the stats and the numbers at this level."
"He reminds me of Eddie George in his approach to the game. He's got a great career ahead of him."
Am hoping he just needs some more NFL reps under his belt, lots of successful rookies have a tough time at first.

Calling Lendale a bust at this point is premature. The only things that really can be proven about him now is that he doesn't have a work ethic. He didn't have one in college and he doesn't have one now. He still was widely considered to be a top 4 RB last year. He probably would have been a first rounder if not for the 40 time fiasco. He didn't increase his stock during the combine but he made his stock....on the field. He performed admirably well last year and the coaches thought enough of him after the season to not resign Henry and not to go after McGahee even though they had a good cap situation to do so.

One offseason has made peole say that he is a bust. Before the gaining weight issue, I saw mocks where he was going in the mid second round. This was all based upon his onfield performance in college and last year for the Titans. It's not a new occurence that Lendale is lazy or doesn't have a real work ethic...but he is a good football player. I truly believe he will mature but the Titans are far from calling him a bust...just my opinion :shrug: :lmao:

Calling Lendale a bust at this point is premature. The only things that really can be proven about him now is that he doesn't have a work ethic. He didn't have one in college and he doesn't have one now. He still was widely considered to be a top 4 RB last year. He probably would have been a first rounder if not for the 40 time fiasco. He didn't increase his stock during the combine but he made his stock....on the field. He performed admirably well last year and the coaches thought enough of him after the season to not resign Henry and not to go after McGahee even though they had a good cap situation to do so. One offseason has made peole say that he is a bust. Before the gaining weight issue, I saw mocks where he was going in the mid second round. This was all based upon his onfield performance in college and last year for the Titans. It's not a new occurence that Lendale is lazy or doesn't have a real work ethic...but he is a good football player. I truly believe he will mature but the Titans are far from calling him a bust...just my opinion :excited: :blackdot:
I don't think he's a bust yet but he appears to be well on his way. How many successful NFL players have a poor work ethic?

Calling Lendale a bust at this point is premature. The only things that really can be proven about him now is that he doesn't have a work ethic. He didn't have one in college and he doesn't have one now. He still was widely considered to be a top 4 RB last year. He probably would have been a first rounder if not for the 40 time fiasco. He didn't increase his stock during the combine but he made his stock....on the field. He performed admirably well last year and the coaches thought enough of him after the season to not resign Henry and not to go after McGahee even though they had a good cap situation to do so. One offseason has made peole say that he is a bust. Before the gaining weight issue, I saw mocks where he was going in the mid second round. This was all based upon his onfield performance in college and last year for the Titans. It's not a new occurence that Lendale is lazy or doesn't have a real work ethic...but he is a good football player. I truly believe he will mature but the Titans are far from calling him a bust...just my opinion :shock: :blackdot:
I don't think he's a bust yet but he appears to be well on his way. How many successful NFL players have a poor work ethic?
How much time do we have here? :excited:

Seems like there's a lot of discounting of Henry after the beat writer's comment that he "hasn't been impressive." Talk about jumping on one non-quoted comment.

Seems like there's a lot of discounting of Henry after the beat writer's comment that he "hasn't been impressive." Talk about jumping on one non-quoted comment.
Not really. I think it's more of a confirmation of what most of us suspected. The Titans reached big time in the 2nd and it's going to cost them.

From a poster on the Titans message board:On the writer's assessment of Henry.

Yea, that comment took me a minute to digest. Then I realized it was coming from Jim Wyatt, who I tend to disagree with anyway. What can a rookie do that is impressive in OTAs, anyway? Doubt any of them have much of a clue at this point - still trying to learn the system. There have been lots of reports of KVB knocking the ball out of Henry's hands, but also good comments from players about Henry hitting the hole hard and being very fast. I'll get worried about the fumbles if they continue in preseason, otherwise I'll take the players assesments of Henry over a Tennessean writer.

Wyatt ####### dogged the Titans draft, he is just writing to coincide with his earlier reports. There is nothing that Henry could do to impress Wyatt during these practices.

Not really. I think it's more of a confirmation of what most of us suspected. The Titans reached big time in the 2nd and it's going to cost them.
Perhaps, but I think we should see what he does on the field before burying him.

i could see brown coming back very easily for 3 reasons.

1. money. (that cures everything)

2. nobody else wants him

3. he's not the one losing face if he comes back. the titans gave up on him. so, if he does come back, it's because he's "needed". thus he has the moral high ground, and the titans are the ones eating crow.

i think it would be difficult for the titans to bring him back because of #3.

I wonder how much team brass regrets not having pulled the trigger for Turner. They certainly had the pick(s) and cap room to get it done.
Why should they regret it? When push came to shove, SD was unwilling to part with Turner -- did you read the news?

Wyatt ####### dogged the Titans draft, he is just writing to coincide with his earlier reports. There is nothing that Henry could do to impress Wyatt during these practices.
If Henry was impressing the Titans...would they be opening talks with Chris Brown? :goodposting:

If Henry was impressing the Titans...would they be opening talks with Chris Brown? :thumbup:
VY impressed as a rookie in OTA's and they still let KC start, just two weeks after signing him.Furthermore, they've had lines of communication open with Brown since the season ended.

If Henry was impressing the Titans...would they be opening talks with Chris Brown? :thumbup:
If he was absolutely lighting it up? Maybe not.Considering he's a rookie without experience, White is a lazy fat SOB, and the Titans have actually never stopped discussions with Brown? No surprise here at all.

I've followed enough football in my day, to know not to put too much stock in what coaches and GM's say this time a year, for good or bad.

And I never give a #### what a writer says, especially Wyatt.

Mark Kamenski said:
Why should they regret it? When push came to shove, SD was unwilling to part with Turner -- did you read the news?
Um, yes, all 10,000 posts in the thread we had. It seemed like AJ Smith kept upping the ante until the Titans finally backed off. But that's H20 under the bridge now.

Carter_Can_Fly said:
Wow. The Titans moves the last couple of seasons have been extremely suspect. I mean the Mcnair situation, drafting guys like White (unmotivated), Henry (good combine numbers, mediocre to bad player), bringing in K. Collins to start the season last year so late into training camp. I do give them credit for drafting V. Young, but some of their other decisions have been a little mind boggling. Why didin't they just pay T. Henry to be their starter for the next couple of seasons? I think if they offered him a fair contract and said you will be our starter they could have had him. I mean the guy is a former probowler and played extremely well for them last year. In fact, he and V. Young were the reasons they did what they did last year.I think for fantasy purposes stay away from this situation unless you can get Brown late and gamble that he will end up getting touches. White, and Henry seemed doomed to fail.
That brings up the whole Billy Volek situation last year (yes, he is on my roster but only until cutdowns) as well. I thought this was VERY poorly handled. Fisher made some half-###ed comments about Volek throwing the team under the bus (practice habits and film study could be inferred, but there was never anything specific cited, as I recall). So you trade a guy (Volek) who had had some success in your system and bring in someone else at the last minute (Collins) and expect to compete? They basically threw the season away right there, and the play of Young and T.Henry (as someone remarked) is what kept them afloat at all... THEN they let T.Henry go! Why??I've always thought Fisher was a good coach, and going into last year I gave him a pass because I felt like he was just doing what he was told while preparing for the end of his contract and a big payday with some other team. But then he signed an extension, and with all the moves (and non-moves) this offseason, and what happened last year with Volek and C.Brown, I've lost a lot of respect for him and wonder how big of a hand he has in this as well.

Users who are viewing this thread