What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Scouting the Future: Florida v. Miami (1 Viewer)

Balco

Footballguy
FLORIDA v. MIAMI

Week 2 - September 7, 2008

MIAMI

JASON FOX, LEFT TACKLE (6'7 306) JUNIOR (# 64)

Former Tight End, and it shows in his athleticism. Relies more on technique and finesse then on brute strength, and is very effective. Handled speed rushes with ease, using superior technique to form a pocket around qb. Did have a couple of plays where he was susceptible to the inside move. Does a good job reach blocking, and turning the defender. Fantastic job on traps, either on the front side or back side. On one counter tre, did a great job of pulling from the backside and leading the back through the hole. Stays under control at the 2nd level and walls off linebackers/safeties. Bright future.

REGGIE YOUNGBLOOD, RIGHT TACKLE (6'5 317) SENIOR (# 77)

An highly recruited prospect coming out of high school, Youngblood has not lived up to his high school reputation. He had a terrible game, showing limited athletic ability, and very poor technique. He comes out to high in his stance which allows the defender to get under his pads and push him around. Too wide of a base in pass protection leaves him extremely vulnerable to speed rushers. Defenders consistently got penetration on hard inside slants, which blew up the running game. Based on this game, Youngblood is not an NFL prospect.

ROBERT MARVE, QUARTERBACK (6'1 210) FRESHMAN (# 9)

STATS: 10-18 (55.6 %) 69 yards

It is obvious the Miami Staff does not want to put too much on Marve's shoulders. He often rolled out. Has nice zip on the ball. Always threw to 1st option, even if covered. Tough kid, with good athleticism. Puts shoulder down when running. Did not throw the ball much further than 10 yards (which resulted in paltry 3.8 yards per attempt). When he did, he forced throw into double coverage, almost resulting in INT.

CRAIG COOPER, RUNNING BACK (6'0 202) SOPHOMORE (# 2)

STATS: 15 carries 31 yards (2.1 avg)

Tough to get a good look at Cooper because Florida defenders were constantly in the backfield. Did not do a great job of reading blocks. Made cuts too early. Brought down very easily, usually by first defender. Looks like he has speed, but if he can't run inside the tackles, won't be able to use it much in the pros. I was expecting more.

ANTONIO DIXON, DEFENSIVE TACKLE (6'3 322) SENIOR (# 96)

I think the 322 is a little off, by about 40 pounds. Dixon is not going to be a 3 down tackle, but he is very tough to move, and can hold his ground against double teams. He can be a solid rotation tackle at the next level, more than likely at the nose.

MARCUS FORSTON, DEFENSIVE TACKLE (6'2 308) FRESHMAN (# 99)

Needed to mention this freshman, because I thought he played very well in spots. Can even play a little end. Someone to keep an eye on in the future, he played equal snaps to Dixon in this game.

GLENN COOK, MIDDLE LINEBACKER (6'0 228) SENIOR (# 3)

Skinny linebacker, who showed alot. Not afraid to mix it up, and ran well side line to sideline displaying great speed. Showed solid blitzing skills as well. Many smaller linebackers like Cook run around lineman when they approach, Cook ran to them and maintained his responsibilities. Can be a contributing 'Tampa 2" linebacker at the next level.

COLIN MCCARTHY, WEAKSIDE LINEBACKER (6'3 240) JUNIOR (# 44)

Best Miami defender on the field, and a top pro prospect. All over the place, he showed he is a force against the run, and did a great job in coverage, often covering receivers when Florida went 4 and 5 wide. Reads the running game well, no false steps, and attacks the line aggressively. Hard hitter, very physical. Does not shy away from contact at all. Had a much better game than highly regarded Gator Brandon Spikes.

FLORIDA

TIM TEBOW, QUARTERBACK (6'3 232) JUNIOR (# 15)

STATS: 21-35 (60 %) 256 yards, 2 tds; 13 carries 55 yards (4.2 avg)

Tebow is built like a fullback, and is as tough as they come at qb. Never shies away from contact. Great runner. As a passer there is a lot of work that needs to be done here. He does not have good technique, often throwing the ball off his back foot. Has a very big hitch in his delivery. Operates exclusively out of the shotgun, there will be an adjustment in the pros. Most comfortable rolling out. Does not look natural in the pocket. Gets scared very easily and looks to run, even when the protection is there. Does not read defenses, always going with the same receiver, regardless of coverage. Strong arm, but not accurate on Deep throws. He will be a developmental prospect in the pros. Very unpolished as a thrower, needs alot of work on mechanics, and learning how to read defenses.

AARON HERNANDEZ, TIGHT END (6'3 250) SOPHOMORE ( # 81)

STATS: 5 rec. 58 yards (11.8 avg), 1 TD

In my opinion, the number one tight end prospect in the 2010 draft, if he chooses to come out after his Junior year. Due to injuries started several games at fullback last season, and honed his blocking skills. Used as an H Back, in line tight end, and split out in this game. Great blocker (although there were a couple of plays I felt he was lazy) on the line, and in the open field. Used as a lead blocker on several plays. As a receiver, very fluid, has great hands, and is fast. Tough to bring down when he has a full head of steam. Adjusts to the ball well in the air. 3 down tight end at the next level with a ton of potential.

PERCY HARVIN, WIDE RECEIVER (5'11 178) JUNIOR (# 1)

STATS: 1 reception 12 yards

Very good college player. However, I don't see his skills translating well to the pros. It is very obvious he has great burst and acceleration. Used on direct snaps and handoffs when split wide. Won't be utilized much in this way in the NFL. As a receiver, Urban Meyer tries to exploit Harvin's speed by getting mismatches. He has a future as a slot receiver in the NFL, but not much more. Harvin is recovering from an injury so this might have effected his effectiveness in this game.

LOUIS MURPHY, WIDE RECEIVER (6'1 195) SENIOR (# 9)

STATS: 4 rec 77 yards (19.3 avg), 1 TD

Inconsistent hands in this game with 2 drops. But he showed a very good skill set. Runs very good routes, allowing him to gain separation on defenders. Adjusts well to the ball in the air. Looks very quick, gets in and out of his cuts fast. Has a future in the NFL.

PHIL TRAUTWEIN, LEFT TACKLE (6'6 301) SENIOR (# 75)

Another former tight end, Trautwein did not display the same skills as his counterpart on Miami, Jason Fox. He was very inconsistent in his blocking, getting beat on the inside and outside. Does not show good strength, and when he gets lazy with technique, which was often, he gets pushed around. Does not sustain blocks.

TERRON SANDERS, DEFENSIVE TACKLE (6'2 285) SOPHOMORE (# 92)

Best Defender on the field for Florida this game. Sanders is a short, stout, wide body, who consistently got penetration and spent a lot of time in Miami's backfield. He held his ground against double teams, even splitting a few. He does need to keep his shoulders square to the line of scrimmage. A couple of times, he knifed into the gap with one shoulder and was easily taken out of the play.

JERMAINE CUNNINGHAM, DEFENSIVE END (6'3 241) JUNIOR (# 49)

With his hand down, easily neutralized in the run game. Explosive first step, but once engaged with the lineman, he can't scrape off. Speed is evident, but needs to develop any type of pass rush move. Might have to move to OLB in the NFL. Does a great job of chasing down plays from the backside.

CARLOS DUNLAP, DEFENSIVE END (6'6 290) SOPHOMORE (# 8)

Only a sophomore, he will have another year at least to refine his skills. He has the ability. Cannot be pushed around in the run game, and shows signs of being a force against the pass. Very quick for his size, did a great job chasing down plays. If he continues to get stronger, and works on technique, Dunlap can be a solid 3-4 end in the NFL.

BRANDON SPIKES, LINEBACKER (6'3 245) JUNIOR (# 51)

Spikes gets a lot of press about his future pro career, but I did not see an elite skill set in this game. When he is left unblocked, Spikes does a tremendous job of chasing down the running back. Great tackler in the open field. However, he shies away from contact, and would rather run around an offensive lineman than maintaining his responsibility. This creates big holes in the defense. Easily blocked by linemen and tight ends in this game, getting pancaked several times. Needs to improve.

Other Scouting the Future Posts:

Rutgers v. Fresno State

Clemson v. Alabama

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Harvin. I think he has the potential to be a Santana Moss type in the NFL.

FLORIDA v. MIAMI

Week 2 - September 7, 2008

MIAMI

JASON FOX, LEFT TACKLE (6'7 306) JUNIOR (# 64)

Former Tight End, and it shows in his athleticism. Relies more on technique and finesse then on brute strength, and is very effective. Handled speed rushes with ease, using superior technique to form a pocket around qb. Did have a couple of plays where he was susceptible to the inside move. Does a good job reach blocking, and turning the defender. Fantastic job on traps, either on the front side or back side. On one counter tre, did a great job of pulling from the backside and leading the back through the hole. Stays under control at the 2nd level and walls off linebackers/safeties. Bright future.

REGGIE YOUNGBLOOD, RIGHT TACKLE (6'5 317) SENIOR (# 77)

An highly recruited prospect coming out of high school, Youngblood has not lived up to his high school reputation. He had a terrible game, showing limited athletic ability, and very poor technique. He comes out to high in his stance which allows the defender to get under his pads and push him around. Too wide of a base in pass protection leaves him extremely vulnerable to speed rushers. Defenders consistently got penetration on hard inside slants, which blew up the running game. Based on this game, Youngblood is not an NFL prospect.

ROBERT MARVE, QUARTERBACK (6'1 210) FRESHMAN (# 9)

STATS: 10-18 (55.6 %) 69 yards

It is obvious the Miami Staff does not want to put too much on Marve's shoulders. He often rolled out. Has nice zip on the ball. Always threw to 1st option, even if covered. Tough kid, with good athleticism. Puts shoulder down when running. Did not throw the ball much further than 10 yards (which resulted in paltry 3.8 yards per attempt). When he did, he forced throw into double coverage, almost resulting in INT.

CRAIG COOPER, RUNNING BACK (6'0 202) SOPHOMORE (# 2)

STATS: 15 carries 31 yards (2.1 avg)

Tough to get a good look at Cooper because Florida defenders were constantly in the backfield. Did not do a great job of reading blocks. Made cuts too early. Brought down very easily, usually by first defender. Looks like he has speed, but if he can't run inside the tackles, won't be able to use it much in the pros. I was expecting more.

ANTONIO DIXON, DEFENSIVE TACKLE (6'3 322) SENIOR (# 96)

I think the 322 is a little off, by about 40 pounds. Dixon is not going to be a 3 down tackle, but he is very tough to move, and can hold his ground against double teams. He can be a solid rotation tackle at the next level, more than likely at the nose.

MARCUS FORSTON, DEFENSIVE TACKLE (6'2 308) FRESHMAN (# 99)

Needed to mention this freshman, because I thought he played very well in spots. Can even play a little end. Someone to keep an eye on in the future, he played equal snaps to Dixon in this game.

GLENN COOK, MIDDLE LINEBACKER (6'0 228) SENIOR (# 3)

Skinny linebacker, who showed alot. Not afraid to mix it up, and ran well side line to sideline displaying great speed. Showed solid blitzing skills as well. Many smaller linebackers like Cook run around lineman when they approach, Cook ran to them and maintained his responsibilities. Can be a contributing 'Tampa 2" linebacker at the next level.

COLIN MCCARTHY, WEAKSIDE LINEBACKER (6'3 240) JUNIOR (# 44)

Best Miami defender on the field, and a top pro prospect. All over the place, he showed he is a force against the run, and did a great job in coverage, often covering receivers when Florida went 4 and 5 wide. Reads the running game well, no false steps, and attacks the line aggressively. Hard hitter, very physical. Does not shy away from contact at all. Had a much better game than highly regarded Gator Brandon Spikes.

FLORIDA

TIM TEBOW, QUARTERBACK (6'3 232) JUNIOR (# 15)

STATS: 21-35 (60 %) 256 yards, 2 tds; 13 carries 55 yards (4.2 avg)

Tebow is built like a fullback, and is as tough as they come at qb. Never shies away from contact. Great runner. As a passer there is a lot of work that needs to be done here. He does not have good technique, often throwing the ball off his back foot. Has a very big hitch in his delivery. Operates exclusively out of the shotgun, there will be an adjustment in the pros. Most comfortable rolling out. Does not look natural in the pocket. Gets scared very easily and looks to run, even when the protection is there. Does not read defenses, always going with the same receiver, regardless of coverage. Strong arm, but not accurate on Deep throws. He will be a developmental prospect in the pros. Very unpolished as a thrower, needs alot of work on mechanics, and learning how to read defenses.

AARON HERNANDEZ, TIGHT END (6'3 250) SOPHOMORE ( # 81)

STATS: 5 rec. 58 yards (11.8 avg), 1 TD

In my opinion, the number one tight end prospect in the 2010 draft, if he chooses to come out after his Junior year. Due to injuries started several games at fullback last season, and honed his blocking skills. Used as an H Back, in line tight end, and split out in this game. Great blocker (although there were a couple of plays I felt he was lazy) on the line, and in the open field. Used as a lead blocker on several plays. As a receiver, very fluid, has great hands, and is fast. Tough to bring down when he has a full head of steam. Adjusts to the ball well in the air. 3 down tight end at the next level with a ton of potential.

PERCY HARVIN, WIDE RECEIVER (5'11 178) JUNIOR (# 1)

STATS: 1 reception 12 yards

Very good college player. However, I don't see his skills translating well to the pros. It is very obvious he has great burst and acceleration. Used on direct snaps and handoffs when split wide. Won't be utilized much in this way in the NFL. As a receiver, Urban Meyer tries to exploit Harvin's speed by getting mismatches. He has a future as a slot receiver in the NFL, but not much more. Harvin is recovering from an injury so this might have effected his effectiveness in this game.

LOUIS MURPHY, WIDE RECEIVER (6'1 195) SENIOR (# 9)

STATS: 4 rec 77 yards (19.3 avg), 1 TD

Inconsistent hands in this game with 2 drops. But he showed a very good skill set. Runs very good routes, allowing him to gain separation on defenders. Adjusts well to the ball in the air. Looks very quick, gets in and out of his cuts fast. Has a future in the NFL.

PHIL TRAUTWEIN, LEFT TACKLE (6'6 301) SENIOR (# 75)

Another former tight end, Trautwein did not display the same skills as his counterpart on Miami, Jason Fox. He was very inconsistent in his blocking, getting beat on the inside and outside. Does not show good strength, and when he gets lazy with technique, which was often, he gets pushed around. Does not sustain blocks.

TERRON SANDERS, DEFENSIVE TACKLE (6'2 285) SOPHOMORE (# 92)

Best Defender on the field for Florida this game. Sanders is a short, stout, wide body, who consistently got penetration and spent a lot of time in Miami's backfield. He held his ground against double teams, even splitting a few. He does need to keep his shoulders square to the line of scrimmage. A couple of times, he knifed into the gap with one shoulder and was easily taken out of the play.

JERMAINE CUNNINGHAM, DEFENSIVE END (6'3 241) JUNIOR (# 49)

With his hand down, easily neutralized in the run game. Explosive first step, but once engaged with the lineman, he can't scrape off. Speed is evident, but needs to develop any type of pass rush move. Might have to move to OLB in the NFL. Does a great job of chasing down plays from the backside.

CARLOS DUNLAP, DEFENSIVE END (6'6 290) SOPHOMORE (# 8)

Only a sophomore, he will have another year at least to refine his skills. He has the ability. Cannot be pushed around in the run game, and shows signs of being a force against the pass. Very quick for his size, did a great job chasing down plays. If he continues to get stronger, and works on technique, Dunlap can be a solid 3-4 end in the NFL.

BRANDON SPIKES, LINEBACKER (6'3 245) JUNIOR (# 51)

Spikes gets a lot of press about his future pro career, but I did not see an elite skill set in this game. When he is left unblocked, Spikes does a tremendous job of chasing down the running back. Great tackler in the open field. However, he shies away from contact, and would rather run around an offensive lineman than maintaining his responsibility. This creates big holes in the defense. Easily blocked by linemen and tight ends in this game, getting pancaked several times. Needs to improve.

Other Scouting the Future Posts:

Rutgers v. Fresno State

Clemson v. Alabama
in your next UF / Miami Scouting post ..make sure you add the SEC Officating crew (that overturned the incomplete pass call inside the 10 that totally changed the mojo of the Game) to the Gators Roster.. I fully agree Miami probably wasn't going to win anyway.. but that call totally changed everything.. the Canes were keeping it tight and had at least an opportunity to make it interesting late.. that call ranks right up there with the all time homer calls I've seen at any level..

..and I'm thinking if it had been against any other team aside Miami that more people would be up in arms about it..

NCAA Rule Book

see Section 2 Article 7 (see part c. ~ 2. as I've highlighted) of the NCAA Book..

defining what a 'catch" is...

Catch, Interception, Recovery

ARTICLE 7. A catch is an act of firmly establishing player possession of a

live ball in flight.

a. A catch of an opponent’s fumble or pass is an interception.

b. Securing player possession of a live ball after it strikes the ground is

“recovering it.’’

c. To catch, intercept or recover a ball, a player who leaves his feet to

make a catch, interception or recovery must have the ball firmly in his

possession when he first returns to the ground inbounds with any part of

his body or is so held that the dead-ball provisions of Rule 4-1-3-p apply

(A.R. 2-2-7-I-V and A.R. 7-3-6-IV).

1. If one foot first lands inbounds and the receiver has possession

and control of the ball, it is a catch or interception even though a

subsequent step or fall takes the receiver out of bounds.

2. Loss of ball simultaneous to returning to the ground is not a catch,

interception or recovery.

I always enjoy reading these. This is the first where I really have a lot of experience with one of the team's involved, and I disagree on a couple things.

I'm trying not to just be looking at this with homer colored glasses, but part of it is not even good vs. bad stuff, but rather contradictory stuff. For instance, you mention that Percy has great burst and acceleration but lacks the typical WR skills that would translate to the NFL. Meanwhile, you mention that Louis Murphy has a future in the NFL because he adjusts well to the ball in the air. As someone that has seen every single game these guys have played in, Percy DEFINITELY adjusts to the ball better in the air than Murph does. In fact, it sometimes astonishes me how well he does it, as he often comes down with balls in traffic despite his lack of height. It just seems backwards to me that someone would say, as a whole, that Murph adjusts well to the ball in the air and hint that Percy lacks these kind of skills just because he was rarely targeted in one single game.

Likewise with Tebow, while I agree he has a LONG way to go as a passer, but I cannot believe I just read that one of his weaknesses is that he is inaccurate on deep throws. To the contrary, he throws the deep ball EXTREMELY well, it is one of his greatest strengths and one of the most crucial things that make that high powered offense tick. If Tebow was inaccurate on deep throws the Gators would average half as many points as they do, as teams being afraid of Tebow's excessively good deep ball is a large part of what opens the entire offense up. I also disagree that he picks his WR ahead of time and always throws to them. As far as pure passing goes, Florida has one of the most complicated offenses out there with 5 or 6 options on nearly every play, and Tebow does a pretty good job of sorting through them much of the time and picking the right guy, though admittedly this still has quite a bit of room for imporvement.

On the flipside, I very much agree with your assessment of the rest of the guys, Brandon Spikes in particular. I'm not sure why he gets so much pub as a future NFL stud, and I don't think he is even the best LB on the team. He gets a lot of tackles, but they're often too far downfield compared to where a MLB should be making those tackles, and he ALWAYS gets toasted in any kind of 1 on 1 situation.

Good stuff Balco, looking forward to the next one.

I always enjoy reading these. This is the first where I really have a lot of experience with one of the team's involved, and I disagree on a couple things.I'm trying not to just be looking at this with homer colored glasses, but part of it is not even good vs. bad stuff, but rather contradictory stuff. For instance, you mention that Percy has great burst and acceleration but lacks the typical WR skills that would translate to the NFL. Meanwhile, you mention that Louis Murphy has a future in the NFL because he adjusts well to the ball in the air. As someone that has seen every single game these guys have played in, Percy DEFINITELY adjusts to the ball better in the air than Murph does. In fact, it sometimes astonishes me how well he does it, as he often comes down with balls in traffic despite his lack of height. It just seems backwards to me that someone would say, as a whole, that Murph adjusts well to the ball in the air and hint that Percy lacks these kind of skills just because he was rarely targeted in one single game.Likewise with Tebow, while I agree he has a LONG way to go as a passer, but I cannot believe I just read that one of his weaknesses is that he is inaccurate on deep throws. To the contrary, he throws the deep ball EXTREMELY well, it is one of his greatest strengths and one of the most crucial things that make that high powered offense tick. If Tebow was inaccurate on deep throws the Gators would average half as many points as they do, as teams being afraid of Tebow's excessively good deep ball is a large part of what opens the entire offense up. I also disagree that he picks his WR ahead of time and always throws to them. As far as pure passing goes, Florida has one of the most complicated offenses out there with 5 or 6 options on nearly every play, and Tebow does a pretty good job of sorting through them much of the time and picking the right guy, though admittedly this still has quite a bit of room for imporvement.On the flipside, I very much agree with your assessment of the rest of the guys, Brandon Spikes in particular. I'm not sure why he gets so much pub as a future NFL stud, and I don't think he is even the best LB on the team. He gets a lot of tackles, but they're often too far downfield compared to where a MLB should be making those tackles, and he ALWAYS gets toasted in any kind of 1 on 1 situation.Good stuff Balco, looking forward to the next one.
First, thanks for the feedback. I am hoping my scouting reports will foster a good discussion on players. And it is great to hear from fans of the particular teams.I have watched several Florida games casually, but I have never broken down a Florida game before. So alot of the particular analysis is from the Miami game. It looked to me that Harvin was not used at all on deep routes/regular receiver routes (I look at receiver routes even when they are not targeted. For example, Murphy displayed great route running on many plays he wasn't targeted). Most were short passes or he was utilized in the running game. He is good in space. However, nothing has showed me he is a great route runner, or is nothing more than a product of Urban Meyer's system, much like a Paris Warren. He is great in space, but he has to show he can run nfl routes. I think he has a spot on an NFL team, I just don't see how he has been mentioned as a top 3 receiver for the NFL draft. Again, remember, I commented mainly on Harvin's Miami game. I will be breaking down several more Florida games in the future. I get the impression Harvin was still a bit injured.On Murphy's td, he was underthrown big time. Now it could be that Tebow is looking at the D before the snap and deciding which matchup he wanted to exploit, but I watched and rewatched (multiple times) each of his throws. He took the snap, stared at his receiver and threw it to him. Covered or not. I can't think of one pass where he wasn't completely locked on his receiver from the snap.I am definitely looking forward to the next Florida game I break down. I will have to look at their schedule.

Users who are viewing this thread