What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lane Kiffin could be fired as early as Monday (1 Viewer)

gbill2004

Footballguy
REPORT: KIFFIN COULD BE FIRED MONDAYPosted by Michael David Smith on September 13, 2008, 8:58 p.m. We all know that Oakland Raiders owner Al Davis and coach Lane Kiffin don’t exactly have the healthiest of relationships.But could their relationship come to an end after just two games of the 2008 season?According to to Tim Kawakami of the San Jose Mercury News, it could. Kawakami reports that Kiffin could get fired on Monday or Tuesday if the Raiders don’t look better against the Chiefs on Sunday than they did against the Broncos on Monday night.Kawakami reports that James Lofton, Tom Rathman and Jim Fassel, in that order, would be the most likely candidates to become the head coach if Kiffin were fired. Defensive coordinator Rob Ryan, whose profanity-laced tirade this week was widely viewed as being an expression of anger toward Kiffin, is apparently not considered a candidate to be the head man.Of course, it is the Chiefs that the Raiders play tomorrow, so it’s entirely possible that Oakland will win. But a W in the standings won’t change the fact that this team is a mess, and that Kiffin’s departure is coming sooner rather than later.

Either Kiffin gets fired or Davis dies. Until one of those things happens the relationship between the two will poison this organization.

Kiffin was on the hot seat already. I believe he sealed his fate not wearing the "GU63" button during Monday Night's game.

He's history - and he'll be paid for the remainder of the year - which is all he wanted.

Taking the Raiders Head Coaching job lately = career suicide imho.

Wasn't there a story a couple months ago about AD wnating Kiffen to quit? Seems he wanted him out, but didn't want to fire (or pay) him.

simsarge said:
Wasn't there a story a couple months ago about AD wnating Kiffen to quit? Seems he wanted him out, but didn't want to fire (or pay) him.
Yes sir.Kiffin also has NO control over what the defense does. He's merely the O-Coordinator with a Head Coach's title.

simsarge said:
Yes sir.Kiffin also has NO control over what the defense does. He's merely the O-Coordinator with a Head Coach's title.
That is pure idiocy. How the hell can the HC not have control over what the D does? How did Kiffin go into that job knowing that?

GRIDIRON ASSASSIN said:
Kiffin was on the hot seat already. I believe he sealed his fate not wearing the "GU63" button during Monday Night's game.
I didn't notice he was not wearing a button -- were all coaches supposed to wear it, or just all Raiders coaches?Either way, that doesn't insult Al Davis or show him up in any way -- it's simply disrespectful and insulting to Gene Upshaw's legacy and to his family.I don't think Al Davis is a saint, but I always suspected that much of Kiffin's handling of his situation as Raiders head coach did not help him either. Bringing things out to the press rather than handling them first internally, publically casting dispersion on his GM and his personnel, etc., all of it made me think that Kiffin was a little unseasoned in his approach to being a coach in the big leagues. He is not Bill Parcells or Bill Bellichick or Mike Shanahan, who have a track record of winning and making the right decisions to secure success on all levels of the organization.And this action just underscores it, making him look pouty and downright immature.

Always fun to beat the Raiders (shame that nine-game win streak had to end last year ... thanks Herm), but it'd be even more fun if it forced the Ancient Idiot to fire what I think is a pretty decent young coach.

Al DAvis really died 2 years ago...they had him stuffed and move him around like a puppet when he is seen in public or does an interview.

Fascinating stuff....

which masochist will want this job next?
Even though it's the Raiders, there'll always be plenty of egotistical masochists willing to take an NFL HC job. Heck Shell knew probably better than anybody on the planet how big a trainwreck the job is and he reupped after putting up with ADs crap for a year (?), getting canned and being the only guy on ADs wish list that didn't turn the job down.

Right now, even as we speak, Al Davis has his flunkeys out scouring the heartland for a new coach. They think they may have found one in who coached in Kansas in the 50's, whose teams were famous for running the single wing.

Right now, even as we speak, Al Davis has his flunkeys out scouring the heartland for a new coach. They think they may have found one in who coached in Kansas in the 50's, whose teams were famous for running the single wing.
Mr. Davis: Now, to the Heartland! We'll take the Spruce Moose! Hop In!Mr. Smithers: But Sir!Mr. Davis: (pulls out pistol and cocks at Smithers) I said hop in!

Skelator (Al Davis) lost his mind a couple of years ago. This team had the one great run with Callahan at HC, but he was playing with Gruden's team.

Skelator has too much control with his team and should find someone else to run it.

Kiffin should be able to find work after he leaves the Raiders, most people know it is not his fault this team sucks.

While I agree and understand that the issues between Davis and Kiffin will continue to do more harm then good, the two things that I cannot get past when thinking that that Kiffin could get fired this season (nevermind within the next 3 days) are:

1. How do you bring in a coach mid season and expect any good to come of it?

2. How in the world does Rob Ryan still have a job. If anything he holds WAY more blame in the loss against the Broncos. Hell he admitted it. The offence struggled mightly last week, but the defense was down right embarrassing. Unbelievable.

I am a Kiffin fan. If he does end up leaving the Raiders I hope he gets grabbed by another team in a hurry and has a long career in the NFL.

GRIDIRON ASSASSIN said:
I didn't notice he was not wearing a button -- were all coaches supposed to wear it, or just all Raiders coaches?Either way, that doesn't insult Al Davis or show him up in any way -- it's simply disrespectful and insulting to Gene Upshaw's legacy and to his family.I don't think Al Davis is a saint, but I always suspected that much of Kiffin's handling of his situation as Raiders head coach did not help him either. Bringing things out to the press rather than handling them first internally, publically casting dispersion on his GM and his personnel, etc., all of it made me think that Kiffin was a little unseasoned in his approach to being a coach in the big leagues. He is not Bill Parcells or Bill Bellichick or Mike Shanahan, who have a track record of winning and making the right decisions to secure success on all levels of the organization.And this action just underscores it, making him look pouty and downright immature.
Are you kidding me? Gene Upshaw was the rare player who played his first and last game in the NFL all on one team - the Raiders - 217 games over 15 years. He's revered as a Raider.

Not really sure if this is a good or a bad thing. It seems butted heads is well too easy to say for these folks.

Either way, that doesn't insult Al Davis or show him up in any way -- it's simply disrespectful and insulting to Gene Upshaw's legacy and to his family.
It's disrespectful not to wear a cheesy dollar store button? Give me a break.Gene Upshaw's legacy is not going to be defined or diminished by the wearing or not wearing of special patches and buttons.

GRIDIRON ASSASSIN said:
Are you kidding me? Gene Upshaw was the rare player who played his first and last game in the NFL all on one team - the Raiders - 217 games over 15 years. He's revered as a Raider.
I will always revere him as a Raider. But the reason why the GU logo was on every field opening day and allegedly on the lapels of all the coaches was because of his leadership at the helm of the players' union. As head of the NFLPA, he helped secure some amazingly high levels of salary for the players that leave it all on the field every Sunday, and helped bring around the free agency system. He has some deficiencies as head of the NFLPA, including the plight of older players who were left debilitated by the game with only paltry benefits, but the NFL would not be the game it was today without some of Upshaw's contributions.Thus to disrespect him by not wearing a memorial button doesn't just disrespect the team he played for; it disrespects all NFL players who Upshaw advocated for all these years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wouldn't it be great if Lane Kiffin followed in Mike Shanahan's footsteps? Fired in less that 2 years as HC of the Raiders, goes on to a hated divisional opponent (Chiefs) and take out his revenge by kicking Al Davis' rear for the next 13 years? (when of course Al Davis will turn 139.)

I would LOVE to see Fassel get the job.

He's not the most charismatic guy in the world, and the Hall of Fame won't ask if they can display his playbook in Canton, but he is a leader of men, which is precisely what this sorry bunch needs.

TBIST said:
Mr. Davis: Now, to the Heartland! We'll take the Spruce Moose! Hop In!Mr. Smithers: But Sir!Mr. Davis: (pulls out pistol and cocks at Smithers) I said hop in!
Eh, isn't it the spruce goose?
For Hughes, yes. In the Simpsons, no.

PFT needs to back off KC....they showed well against NE--even with Brady.

KC will beat OAk by 17....what that means for Kiffin -- as a KC fan, I couldn't care less, it's the freakin Raiders

TBIST said:
Eh, isn't it the spruce goose?
For Hughes, yes. In the Simpsons, no.
I figured the Spruce Moose was the plane that Sarah Palin put on EBAY.

I suppose it is Lane Kiffin's fault that DC Rob Ryan is an Al Davis lackey who won't put in his own family's defensive philosophy 'cause he's simply a 'Yes Man'......Since when has a Ryan not been in favor of putting heat on the QB......

If Curry catches the ball this week and Ryan develops the cajones to call some blitzes and tighter coverage sets then the Raiders might be able to right the ship immediately......But if Al fires Kiffin now, then my first question is: Why didn't he simply fire him during the offseason so the train could move together as one to start the season?

My frustration level is about to boil over and it's directed towards the Executive Suite, Big Boss Al.......

Signed,

A very loyal Raiders fan

Last edited by a moderator:
I suppose it is Lane Kiffin's fault that DC Rob Ryan is an Al Davis lackey who won't put in his own family's defensive philosophy 'cause he's simply a 'Yes Man'......Since when has a Ryan not been in favor of putting heat on the QB......If Curry catches the ball this week and Ryan develops the cajones to call some blitzes and tighter coverage sets then the Raiders might be able to right the ship immediately......But if Al fires Kiffin now, then my first question is: Why didn't he simply fire him during the offseason so the train could move together as one to start the season? My frustration level is about to boil over and it's directed towards the Executive Suite, Big Boss Al.......Signed,A very loyal Raiders fan
:thumbdown: There are still some of us who will never jump ship, but we all realize that things won't improve until he is gone (one way or another)...

GRIDIRON ASSASSIN said:
I think he's simply wanting people to know what's going on. If he's going to get axed soon by AD and be blamed for the team's poor performance, I can see him trying to distance himself from the chaos and stupidity that permeates the Raiders' organization so people will know it wasn't really his doing.At this point, I don't really blame him. AD is just crazy. You can't reason with crazy people. AD cuts his legs out form under him trying to prod him to quit. So Kiffin retaliates by going public and blaming Ryan and Davis, thus returning the favor and trying to force Davis to fire him. It kinda sounds like Favre v. Thompson.Kiffin probably underestimates how bad AD looks to people and is being more defensive than he needs to be. I think he'll got another job fairly soon and will probably look back on this affair and come to see it as a crazy situation he learned from.

Raider Nation at it's finest. What a joke. I hope Kiffen gets fired. Take Al's money and make a clean break to sanity somewhere else. He deserves better.

Hi, guys. Pittsburgh Pirates' fan here. I was thinking we could arrange a Throw Momma From the Train deal with each other. PM me if interested. We feel your pain.

I am disgusted by the entire situation, and am a recent addition to the Al Davis Death Watch Society that has sprung up among Raider Nation.

Davis needs to let his coaches sink or swim, and make their own mistakes, and give them control. Kiffin wanted Ryan gone, Al forces him to keep him, and the Broncos gouge them for 41 points. The only time the Broncos were stopped was when Cutler threw a bad pass. The Raiders never stopped them. That loss was all on the defense. The Raiders ran the ball, and JaMarcus did a credible job, considering he had Ron curry and a 7th rounder as his wideouts. Shanahan toyed with the Raider defense. it was pathetic.

This will get lost in this whole mess, but Kiffin is not without blame here. Any coach that pulls the sort of stuff he did after the season, flirting with college jobs, complaining that he can only work with the players he has, etc., would get roasted elsewhere. Kiffin doesn't, because it is easier to place all the blame on Davis. And this is coming from the biggest Kiffin backer you will find. I love the kid, and he WILL be a head coach elsewhere in the league. I would like nothing more than for Davis to let Kiffin do whatever he wanted.

Kiffin is a young head coach. He has no pedigree. He made comments this past summer that implied he wanted more say in the roster. Frankly, he doesn't deserve it. The Raiders need a GM, but I am not sure Lane Kiffin should be controlling the whole show. And he was only here a year, and was 4-12. That's kinda early in your career to be pulling a Parcells. I am not apologizing for Davis, but it is more and more apparent that Kiffin, like Gruden, took the job as a springboard to something else.

Of COURSE Kiffin took the job as a springboard to something else. He was a co-offensive coordinator at USC. This leapfrog was a HUGE step for him. I can't possibly imagine anybody ever thought he was going to last at this job...his only hope was to look respectable and to parlay that into another NFL job. So far it looks as though things are going exactly as expected.

boneheaded moves by kiffin signing deangelo hall & javon walker, drafting mcfadden instead of dorsey, etc...

kiffin was also awful in coverage against royal monday night...

Users who are viewing this thread