What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[DYNASTY] 2005 Rookie RBs (1 Viewer)

Bloom

here's my initial grouping of the top 18:3 studs (benson, cadillac, brown)stud talent (fason)workhorses (morency, mcclendon, arrington)power backs (harris, jacobs)RBBC in college with feature talent (shelton, barber, houston)elusive little guys (moats, sproles)interesting gambles (clarett, gore, nash, davis)and thoughts on some likely late round/undrafted FA RBs:i would put purify in a group with guys like ryan grant(ND), noah herron(northwestern) and walter reyes(syracuse), very productive college RBs in big time college football who just dont project to be good pros.purify is a sturdy(6'0" 215) chainmover, and decent receiver, but SLOW (4.75), and not the most durable in college. I see him as a competent backup in the NFL on a run first team that will take the holes that he's given and hit em hard, but never break away or make something out of nothing.herron is another very sturdy guy at 5'11" 230, and like purify, his rush/receiving game is well rounded. he'll dish out the hits and plays smart football, but like purify he's SLOW (4.75) and doesnt have the right skills to project as a FB. reyes is well-rounded and has a 5th gear(4.36), but a little smallish at 5'10 210, and he plays even smaller - doesnt run with power and authority, which you have to do in the NFL. unlike purify and herron, reyes could become a solid #1 RB if he bulks up a little and learns how to run stronger while preserving that track speed. grant is built well (6'1" 218) and knows how to see the hole and hit the hole. He's also got decent speed for his size (4.5). However, he is totally one-dimensional and doesnt really break tackles or make anything on his own. he's another one who will be very competent as a backup, but doesnt seem to have a future a #1. Feel free to add any thoughts on any of the 2005 rookie RBs

Last edited by a moderator:
How the draft class pans out often depends upon who drafts them.You have to watch for front offices that traditionally fall in love with skill position players. Ernie Accorsi of the Giants loves taking RBs, WRs, and QBs. I gotta think he will take an RB in round 2. But I can see him trading up into round 1 to pick one.

How the draft class pans out often depends upon who drafts them.You have to watch for front offices that traditionally fall in love with skill position players. Ernie Accorsi of the Giants loves taking RBs, WRs, and QBs. I gotta think he will take an RB in round 1.edit: ok, I just remembered they traded that pick. They'll probably take an RB in round 2. But I cansee Accorsi trading up into round 1 to take an RB.
IF they had a first rounder this season.edit: the RB class is so deep, i hope for their sake they take defense in rounds 2 and 3. all they are doing is taking a backup to barber, and i see guys that can fill that role well into the second day. the LB/DE/S situation on that team is in much worse shape, not to mention OT.but back to subject at hand....

How the draft class pans out often depends upon who drafts them.
I disagree with this statement. Maybe initially it does, but long term the stud RBs rise to the top.I am in a fantasy league that drafts its 1st round before the NFL Draft. I find the owners make much better choices than they otherwise would if we drafted later in the year (after knowing each player's situation). Far too often, owners draft based on situation, rather than talent.

How the draft class pans out often depends upon who drafts them.
I disagree with this statement. Maybe initially it does, but long term the stud RBs rise to the top.I am in a fantasy league that drafts its 1st round before the NFL Draft. I find the owners make much better choices than they otherwise would if we drafted later in the year (after knowing each player's situation). Far too often, owners draft based on situation, rather than talent.
I'm not so sure about that.RBs come out of college as finished products pretty much. Some may have to work on blitz pickup. But by and large its a terribly physical position and by age 30 most are done if not sooner.They don't have time to sit around for a couple of years behind someone else.

You do have to wonder how many of these guys will actually get drafted. Here are the previous 3 draft classes:2004 - 16

Code:
Steven JacksonChris PerryKevin JonesTatum BellJulius JonesGreg JonesMewelde MooreCedric CobbsMichael TurnerTroy FlemingAdimchinobe EchemanduJonathan SmithQuincy WilsonDerrick WardBruce PerryBrandon Miree
2003 - 13
Code:
Willis McGaheeLarry JohnsonMusa SmithChris BrownJustin FargasArtose PinnerDomanick DavisOnterrio SmithQuentin GriffinLee SuggsLaBrandon ToefieldBrock ForseyAhmaad Galloway
2002 - 22
Code:
William GreenT.J. DuckettDeShaun FosterClinton PortisMaurice MorrisLadell BettsLamar GordonBrian WestbrookJonathan WellsOmar EasyTravis StephensNajeh DavenportVerron HaynesJosh ScobeyLarry NedAdrian PetersonBrian AllenChester TaylorLuke StaleyAntwoine WomackLeonard HenryRock Cartwright
I guess this class could out-quantity the 2002 and maybe even have a chance to out-quality them if things go right.

workhorses (morency, mcclendon, arrington)
I posted this previously:
From Raleigh newspaper:NFL will roll dice on McLendon

By CAULTON TUDOR, Staff WriterSomewhere out there in NFL land, a team will take a chance on T.A. McLendon.And that's exactly what it will be -- a chance, a gamble, a shot in the blind, a lottery ticket that comes with an expensive price tag. To assume that the N.C. State running back is a legitimate professional football prospect is to assume much too much.McLendon, at his best, was one of the most gifted running backs in ACC history. He came with Ken Willard's size, Ted Brown's cuts and Tiki Barber's quickness.But McLendon also was about as dependable as an airline schedule. One game, he was Bo Jackson. The next, he was Bo Peep. With T.A., what you saw you didn't necessarily get. He might be remembered as either the best bad running back in Wolfpack history or the worst good one.State coach Chuck Amato even waded into the McLendon enigma by saying that no back can gain yardage while he's sitting in a hot tub. At one point, McLendon was promised a ride to the locker room in a golf cart if he could get through a week of practice without suffering an injury.Amato made light of those ongoing injuries. NFL coaches won't.Nor will they dabble so freely in motivational psychology. At the next level, McLendon will be pampered about as much as a bug in a baby's crib. He'll have to work every day or walk the first day.McLendon's talent isn't an issue. He has the skills, as a pure runner, to make it.But does he have the intensity? Will he block?He never did much of that at State. When face-to-face with an aggressive defender, he was as apt to duck as to duke it out.And will he hold on to the ball? Play for play, McLendon committed far more turnovers than most elite college runners. Fumble too much in the NFL, and they'll see how you look as a linebacker. Or as a spectator.Finally, can he catch the ball? Even with Philip Rivers throwing it, any swing pass to McLendon at State was an adventure. Some he would catch. Others he would fetch -- after the ball bounced off his shoulder pads.Like so many others, I watched McLendon play for three years, and I'm still not completely certain what to make of him. At times, I saw an incredible talent. After his game at Clemson as a freshman, I thought he was a Heisman Trophy winner in the making. On his final run against North Carolina this year, I was watching a runner who, even with the outcome on the line, didn't show the maturity or determination to put the previous play behind him.In the final analysis, what I really saw was a great talent wearing Wolfpack red but living in the world of Albemarle High School blue. Talented high school players fail every day in college. Even more college greats fail to cut it in the NFL.In college, McLendon never seriously approached greatness on a consistent basis. Physically, he had it all. Mentally, he didn't.Throughout his injury-plagued three seasons at N.C. State, McLendon was Mr. Could-Be. In the pros, he'd better be Mr. Can-Do, or he'll be unemployed
Pretty unflattering article, but as an N.C. State fan, I can't really argue with it. I think the odds are against McLendon amounting to much in the NFL. I was so excited about his prospects after his freshman season, but he hasn't come close to repeating that performance in either of the two seasons since.

I hate to throw a negative vibe into a positive thread, but RB depth in the NFL draft always looks rosey in Jan and Feb. Unfortunately, this is before 1.) the combine/pro-day and 2.) the NFL draft.The value of guys like Benson, Brown, Cadillac, Fason, etc have no where to go but down. The risk/reward ratio is tilted heavily to the former, not the ladder. Everybody already assumes these top RB's will run sub-4.5's and report to the combine/pro-day in tip-top shape. However, there seems to be a hickup or two before every draft (see Kevin Jones' 40 time in '04). Also, everybody already assumes the top RB's in the draft will land in perfect situations (MIA, AZ, OAK, TB etc). Again...this will not happen (see Steven Jackson in '04). The major glut of UFA RB's (Edge, Alexander, Jordan, A-Train, etc) and potentially traded RB's (Henry, Droughns) will...in my opinion...throw a huge monkey wrench into the value of the top RB's in this year's draft.I think we can all agree that a RBBC kills a RB's value. With potentially 10+ "featured" RB's available over the next few months, I cannot see how all of the top-ranked rookie RB's land starting jobs. YES...the cream will eventually rise to the top. But, owners will not want to burn an early 1st-round pick on a RB who may not start for 2-3 years.

I hate to throw a negative vibe into a positive thread, but RB depth in the NFL draft always looks rosey in Jan and Feb. Unfortunately, this is before 1.) the combine/pro-day and 2.) the NFL draft.
I would not limit the scope just to running backs, but all offensive skill position players. Come late March and early April, the draft will have shifted to its usual focus of defensive linemen, offensive tackles, a cornerback or two and 2\3 big (6'2) wide receivers with speed (4.4). Throw in 2 or 3 franchise quarterback backs and depth at running backs we saw in January and February disappear.It happens every year, I think the earliest a running back goes this year will be 8th, and I feel I am being overly optimistic.

I guess this class could out-quantity the 2002 and maybe even have a chance to out-quality them if things go right.
I think it could on both counts, particularly at the top end. In 02, the best two guys currently starting anywhere are Portis and Westbrook. Portis is a bona fide stud. Westbrook is gold in a PPR league. Otherwise he's pretty inconsistent and by no means a pure running back. The top end of this year's class could be huge with just the top 3. Throw in a wild card or two like Clarett and this class could be a monster should Clarett do anything. The only think I worry about with this class is all the seemingly viable Running Backs in the league looking for new homes (Viking RB's, Henry, A-Train, Griffin, Edge, SAlex, etc). Many of these RB's may be sitting behind some of these vets longer than normal and thus the true measure of this class may not be revealed until a year or two later than the typical draft class.

Cedric Benson, Texas

great size: 6'0" 220

very good speed for his size: 4.5

complete package as a runner: vision, balance, authority, short yardage power, hits the hole hard and can find a small opening and burst through it, can make people miss, can break long runs, but not quite take it to the house speed.

OK receiver and blocker, but needs work

Some character issues - had two run-ins with the law at UT.

Proven Workhorse, which cuts both ways. you know this guy can withstand the punishment of 250+ carries in a year, but he also has over 1,100 carries, significantly more mileage than ronnie brown or cadillac williams.

Benson should go to a team that wants to run the ball down your throat. he's the kind of guy who can really wear down a defense and crush them in the 4th quarter. He's not as versatile as brown or a home run threat like williams, but for a traditional NFL running attack, he's the man, and should be a little less powerful version of his idol, ricky williams.

The value of guys like Benson, Brown, Cadillac, Fason, etc have no where to go but down. The risk/reward ratio is tilted heavily to the former, not the ladder.
Wanna bet that none of the top 3 do much of anything at the Combine. They may go and do the interviews and take the Wunderlich but that's about it. If I can only go down I'm not going to run the 40 simply on the slight chance that on that day I could have an off day and thus cost myself part of a signing bonus....

The value of guys like Benson, Brown, Cadillac, Fason, etc have no where to go but down.  The risk/reward ratio is tilted heavily to the former, not the ladder.
Wanna bet that none of the top 3 do much of anything at the Combine. They may go and do the interviews and take the Wunderlich but that's about it. If I can only go down I'm not going to run the 40 simply on the slight chance that on that day I could have an off day and thus cost myself part of a signing bonus....
I read somewhere, don't remember where. I'll try to find it if I can, but Williams said he's planning on running at the combine.Edited to add:I actually seen it on another board and the author is suppose to be someone from the Titans who was at the Senior Bowl. I have no link to prove, so take it for what its worth, but here it is.cadillac surprised alot of people this week............he really is talented and i think he may have moved up to the top 5............the combine will be big for him ...........he broke a huge trend in the RB group and his agent recieved a ton of praise for it.............williams told everyone as long as he is not hurt he will run at indy ...............last yr most of the highly ranked RB did not run..............and the scouts and teams hate this trend...........RBrown will have to have a monster combine to catch cadillac now..........benson may be slipping as well..........the combine is always very interesting.........we did get an appearance from Mo Clarrett and i have to tell you he looked great.......weighed in at 227 for the Giants..........but he left as quick as he came..........he is working out this week down in tampa.......this draft maybe to RB what the 1983 draft was to QB's..............

The value of guys like Benson, Brown, Cadillac, Fason, etc have no where to go but down. The risk/reward ratio is tilted heavily to the former, not the ladder.
OTOH, with all 3 being relatively equal right now, if one runs, the others may choose to as well.

This is a good class, wheather or not it is being overhyped is yet to be known. Some of these RB's will and are grading out nicely, but these are just draft grades, not guaranteed NFL success. The grades are there to help set the tone of the draft by helping determine the supply and demand. Once the draft is over, these grades mean a whole lot less. There are a lot of variables draft grades just cannot measure, and it's some of these variables that can decide just how good/bad these players will be. I'm not trying to take anything away from some of this year's RB's or say that they don't deserve the high grades because right now, I think some of them are every good as advertised. But for NFL and/or fantasy success purposes, these other variables I'll need take into account before I claim this draft class to be one of the best in however many years.

I'd be willing to take that bet. Unlike last year, I think the top RB's in this year's draft need to make a statement.You need to remember that two of the Top-3 RB's (Brown & Cadillac) in this year's draft played on the same team (Auburn). Their production was nearly identical. As a result, Brown & Cadillac will make every effort to "prove" to the scouts who truly was the best RB on the team. Heck, Cadillac even played in the Senior Bowl. Potential Top-10 picks very rarely risk injury to play in this game. YES...it's now vogue to skip the combine and hit the draft on pure rep. However, you'll see Brown and Cadillac perform at some point prior to draft day...most likely at Auburn's pro-day.Kevin Jones messed-up last year. Everbody had him tagged as a sub 4.4 guy. He had nothing to prove. His production was amazing and his perceived measurables were off the charts. Jones' head-case of a father, unfortunately, urged him to run. Jones' 4.6 clocking probably cost him anywhere from 10-15 slots in the draft.

The value of guys like Benson, Brown, Cadillac, Fason, etc have no where to go but down.  The risk/reward ratio is tilted heavily to the former, not the ladder.
I'd be willing to take that bet. Unlike last year, I think the top RB's in this year's draft need to make a statement.You need to remember that two of the Top-3 RB's (Brown & Cadillac) in this year's draft played on the same team (Auburn). Their production was nearly identical. As a result, Brown & Cadillac will make every effort to "prove" to the scouts who truly was the best RB on the team. Heck, Cadillac even played in the Senior Bowl. Potential Top-10 picks very rarely risk injury to play in this game. YES...it's now vogue to skip the combine and hit the draft on pure rep. However, you'll see Brown and Cadillac perform at some point prior to draft day...most likely at Auburn's pro-day.Kevin Jones messed-up last year. Everbody had him tagged as a sub 4.4 guy. He had nothing to prove. His production was amazing and his perceived measurables were off the charts. Jones' head-case of a father, unfortunately, urged him to run. Jones' 4.6 clocking probably cost him anywhere from 10-15 slots in the draft.
As a Lions Homer I'm sure glad he dropped!

here's my initial grouping of the top 18:3 studs (benson, cadillac, brown)stud talent (fason)workhorses (morency, mcclendon, arrington)power backs (harris, houston, jacobs)RBBC studs in college with feature talent (shelton, barber)elusive little guys (moats, sproles)interesting gambles (clarett, gore, nash, davis)and thoughts on some likely late round/undrafted FA RBs:i would put purify in a group with guys like ryan grant(ND), noah herron(northwestern) and walter reyes(syracuse), very productive college RBs in big time college football who just dont project to be good pros.purify is a sturdy(6'0" 215) chainmover, and decent receiver, but SLOW (4.75), and not the most durable in college. I see him as a competent backup in the NFL on a run first team that will take the holes that he's given and hit em hard, but never break away or make something out of nothing.herron is another very sturdy guy at 5'11" 230, and like purify, his rush/receiving game is well rounded. he'll dish out the hits and plays smart football, but like purify he's SLOW (4.75) and doesnt have the right skills to project as a FB. reyes is well-rounded and has a 5th gear(4.36), but a little smallish at 5'10 210, and he plays even smaller - doesnt run with power and authority, which you have to do in the NFL. unlike purify and herron, reyes could become a solid #1 RB if he bulks up a little and learns how to run stronger while preserving that track speed. grant is built well (6'1" 218) and knows how to see the hole and hit the hole. He's also got decent speed for his size (4.5). However, he is totally one-dimensional and doesnt really break tackles or make anything on his own. he's another one who will be very competent as a backup, but doesnt seem to have a future a #1. Feel free to add any thoughts on any of the 2005 rookie RBs
There are no real stud RB in this draft.The only one who deserves to be pick in the first round is Ronnie Brown.all the others are second and third round material , especially with the amount of good free agent RB this year.It's a deep draft for RB but no first round material, they will be taken in the first round but it will be a huge gamble.I say not before the 10 th pick in the first round you see a RB.

I hate to throw a negative vibe into a positive thread, but RB depth in the NFL draft always looks rosey in Jan and Feb. Unfortunately, this is before 1.) the combine/pro-day and 2.) the NFL draft.
I would not limit the scope just to running backs, but all offensive skill position players. Come late March and early April, the draft will have shifted to its usual focus of defensive linemen, offensive tackles, a cornerback or two and 2\3 big (6'2) wide receivers with speed (4.4). Throw in 2 or 3 franchise quarterback backs and depth at running backs we saw in January and February disappear.It happens every year, I think the earliest a running back goes this year will be 8th, and I feel I am being overly optimistic.
:goodposting:

here's my initial grouping of the top 18:3 studs (benson, cadillac, brown)stud talent (fason)workhorses (morency, mcclendon, arrington)power backs (harris, houston, jacobs)RBBC studs in college with feature talent (shelton, barber)elusive little guys (moats, sproles)interesting gambles (clarett, gore, nash, davis)and thoughts on some likely late round/undrafted FA RBs:i would put purify in a group with guys like ryan grant(ND), noah herron(northwestern) and walter reyes(syracuse), very productive college RBs in big time college football who just dont project to be good pros.purify is a sturdy(6'0" 215) chainmover, and decent receiver, but SLOW (4.75), and not the most durable in college. I see him as a competent backup in the NFL on a run first team that will take the holes that he's given and hit em hard, but never break away or make something out of nothing.herron is another very sturdy guy at 5'11" 230, and like purify, his rush/receiving game is well rounded. he'll dish out the hits and plays smart football, but like purify he's SLOW (4.75) and doesnt have the right skills to project as a FB. reyes is well-rounded and has a 5th gear(4.36), but a little smallish at 5'10 210, and he plays even smaller - doesnt run with power and authority, which you have to do in the NFL. unlike purify and herron, reyes could become a solid #1 RB if he bulks up a little and learns how to run stronger while preserving that track speed. grant is built well (6'1" 218) and knows how to see the hole and hit the hole. He's also got decent speed for his size (4.5). However, he is totally one-dimensional and doesnt really break tackles or make anything on his own. he's another one who will be very competent as a backup, but doesnt seem to have a future a #1. Feel free to add any thoughts on any of the 2005 rookie RBs
There are no real stud RB in this draft.The only one who deserves to be pick in the first round is Ronnie Brown.all the others are second and third round material , especially with the amount of good free agent RB this year.It's a deep draft for RB but no first round material, they will be taken in the first round but it will be a huge gamble.I say not before the 10 th pick in the first round you see a RB.
With the number of rookies coming in though, will the free agents get the money they will want? Their best chance to get it might be from their current teams. Teams with cap issues or more important needs might elect to take their chances in the draft with the talent coming out. Especially if you are right about how many will go in the 1st round. It would be more cap friendly to sign Williams, Brown or Benson if they fell to the 2nd rd (lucky if one makes it out of 1st IMO) then it would to sign Edge or Alexander.

This is a good class, wheather or not it is being overhyped is yet to be known. Some of these RB's will and are grading out nicely, but these are just draft grades, not guaranteed NFL success. The grades are there to help set the tone of the draft by helping determine the supply and demand. Once the draft is over, these grades mean a whole lot less. There are a lot of variables draft grades just cannot measure, and it's some of these variables that can decide just how good/bad these players will be. I'm not trying to take anything away from some of this year's RB's or say that they don't deserve the high grades because right now, I think some of them are every good as advertised. But for NFL and/or fantasy success purposes, these other variables I'll need take into account before I claim this draft class to be one of the best in however many years.
when you look at mesaureables/college productivity, this class is one of the best in a long time. Of course, any of these guys could fail for any number of reasons, but when you're looking for guys that have the right physical tools to be a productive NFL back, and a track record to show that they can maximize those tools (at least at times), this draft is stacked.

I think this is the best RB class since 2001. The problem is that there are not as many openings for starting RB's around the league as there were in 2001 and some of the openings will be filled by FA's like Lamont Jordan so I expect a lot of these guys to go into RBBC situations or backing up an existing starter.

I think this is the best RB class since 2001. The problem is that there are not as many openings for starting RB's around the league as there were in 2001 and some of the openings will be filled by FA's like Lamont Jordan so I expect a lot of these guys to go into RBBC situations or backing up an existing starter.
Can someone tell me something about L. Jordan that can change my mind about him? I know he's a rb and a backup to Martin, he had nice numbers as a change of pace guy, but why is everyone so high on him. Everyone rode Barlow's jock about not beating out an aging Hearst for the starting job, well Hello! I know Martin was the leading rusher this year and all, but what about last year when he played with a bad ankle all year, Jordan didn't pick up the slack then, why would he now on another team? Personally I'd draft a rb this year before I'd sign a over hyped free agent for too much money (aka James Stewart in Detroit). Someone please enlighten me.

Can someone tell me something about L. Jordan that can change my mind about him? I know he's a rb and a backup to Martin, he had nice numbers as a change of pace guy, but why is everyone so high on him. Everyone rode Barlow's jock about not beating out an aging Hearst for the starting job, well Hello! I know Martin was the leading rusher this year and all, but what about last year when he played with a bad ankle all year, Jordan didn't pick up the slack then, why would he now on another team? Personally I'd draft a rb this year before I'd sign a over hyped free agent for too much money (aka James Stewart in Detroit). Someone please enlighten me.
I totally agree and have been saying the same thing about Jordan for two years. Jordan = overrated.

Jordan was also dinged when Martin was injured....yeah, he has to prove that he can carry the full work load (as all the rookies do) but, If you've seen enough of him I don't think you can deny that he has the speed and power... He runs through people and In my opinion should have been given the ball a lot more in his Jet career. For some reason, a bunch of his runs were called back as well - Vs the Steelers he ripped off a 30 yard run around the left end that was called back on what was a phantom call on TE Becht - He doesn't get the stats - but, look at the play and you can see the talent..... That game right there was a game where I felt Jordan should have been given the ball a lot more - He shows on that play that he can rip it yet, he doesn't get the ball again? Incredible.I put it like this - Curtis Martin is awesome at taking what a defense gives you and what the OL can create for you.. But, lamont Jordan could break through and create on his own - Martin is in the midst of an incredible career so, it's hard to compare and knock him (and obviously hard for coaches to sit him) But, many times this year I felt Jordan should be getting the ball in the 2nd half whan Martin was getting stacked at the line and it would never happen - And there was friction in the Jets clubhouse regarding Jrdan playing time...He's a fan favorite cuz he just refuses to go down....I'm hoping the RB market is so flooded that no team will blow the Jets out of the water and he stays.....

Dominique Dorsey RB UNLV226 carries, 1261 yards, 5.6 ypc, 6 tdsAge: 21Height: 5-7Weight: 165 lbs.Tulare, CAThis guy is pretty small, but VERY quick! He might be more suited as a kick return guy (Dante Hall) or a change of pace back ( Warrik Dunn) I think he was mostly recruited to play CB out of High school. As a freshman at UNLV I think he lead the country in kick return average.He is also California's former all-time high school rushing king with 7,761 yards and 118 touchdowns as a prepster.

Jordan was also dinged when Martin was injured....yeah, he has to prove that he can carry the full work load (as all the rookies do) but, If you've seen enough of him I don't think you can deny that he has the speed and power... He runs through people and In my opinion should have been given the ball a lot more in his Jet career. For some reason, a bunch of his runs were called back as well - Vs the Steelers he ripped off a 30 yard run around the left end that was called back on what was a phantom call on TE Becht - He doesn't get the stats - but, look at the play and you can see the talent..... That game right there was a game where I felt Jordan should have been given the ball a lot more - He shows on that play that he can rip it yet, he doesn't get the ball again? Incredible.I put it like this - Curtis Martin is awesome at taking what a defense gives you and what the OL can create for you.. But, lamont Jordan could break through and create on his own - Martin is in the midst of an incredible career so, it's hard to compare and knock him (and obviously hard for coaches to sit him) But, many times this year I felt Jordan should be getting the ball in the 2nd half whan Martin was getting stacked at the line and it would never happen - And there was friction in the Jets clubhouse regarding Jrdan playing time...He's a fan favorite cuz he just refuses to go down....I'm hoping the RB market is so flooded that no team will blow the Jets out of the water and he stays.....
Maybe he can make his own plays, but then you have to work in the duribility issue of having to pound the ball to make something happen. Ask Terrell Davis about pounding the ball. Get my point?

Maybe he can make his own plays, but then you have to work in the duribility issue of having to pound the ball to make something happen. Ask Terrell Davis about pounding the ball. Get my point?
Was Terrell's initial knee injury the results of pounding the football? I didn't think so.

I don't think this is the case at all. I think that the top 3 could all very easily be considered studs in the very near future. If any one of them winds up as the starter in Oakland or TB, I can see them being studs fairly quickly....

Here's how I see it:Tier One:1. Ronnie Brown - I like his combination of size, speed, and quickness. He's bigger than Benson, but more explosive. 2. Cadillac Williams - His size worries me, but the worst case scenario is that he becomes a Warrick Dunn-type player.3. Cedric Benson - I'm not wild about him, but I can't totally ignore the hype. I see him as a guy who can excel in the right system. He needs to go to a team that will feed him the ball ala the Ravens with Jamal Lewis. Tier Two:4. Marion Barber - He's not the flashiest back, but he's quick to the hole and he runs hard. He reminds me of Travis Henry. I don't think he'll ever be a star, but he can be good in the right system. 5. Ciatrick Fason - He runs high and doesn't look powerful, but I think that's deceptive. He's fairly fast with decent quickness. He reminds me a bit of Cedric Cobbs and Chris Brown. I'm not sure I like him quite as much as I liked those guys, but he's an intriguing prospect who could conceivably surprise at the next level. 6. Vernand Morency - He's a fast back who's quick to the hole. He has pretty good lateral agility and enough size to carry the load. Depending on where he lands, he could be a dark horse to have a strong rookie year. Tier Three:7. TA McLendon - He's a versatile back who shows flashes of legitimate NFL potential. Injuries and attitude concerns will cause him to slip in the draft, but he's more talented than a number of the RBs who figure to go before him. He doesn't elite speed or explosiveness, but he's a well-rounded RB who could conceivably develop into an effective NFL starter.8. Maurice Clarett - Clarett is an intriguing pick in that he's more talented than his draft position would indicate. While not elusive, he has good feet and good acceleration. While I've heard that he could fall as far as the fifth round, I still consider him one of the more promising RBs in this class.

Here's how I see it:
Hey Funk:Just wondering your thoughts on Eric Shelton. Impressive size/speed combo (6-3, 248, ~4.5) but never was able to assume total control of the RB job in Louisville. I don't follow NCAA football, so I'm not clear on why this is so, but I do admit to being impressed with the measurables.Does Shelton have a good chance to be a productive back in the right system, or is he just another guy who looks good on paper but can never seem to get it done on the field?

Ronnie Brown, Auburn

Ideal size : 6'1" 224

GREAT speed for his size: 4.45

Running style: Can run well inside and has the speed to turn the corner. A little upright, and because of this, a little better offtackle or outside than straight up the gut. Vision, Balance, Physical style to dish out punishment to DBs, its all there. Occasionally dances in the backfield. Can make cuts, but at his best when he keeps it simple. one thing he lacks is elusiveness - he'll make a guy miss here and there, but is not a shifty back.

Other skills: Great hands, ran routes out of every conceivable position you could line up at at auburn. Great blitz picker-upper - he has even been the lead blocker for cadillac at times.

Unlike Benson, has no character issues, seems to be a team player and hard worker. Opposite of Benson's problem - doesnt have a lot of mileage, but also hasnt proven he can handle feature back punishment over the course of a season.

Brown is more well-rounded than Benson, but not necessarily the 25 carry a game workhorse. This makes him a perfect fit for a more open offense like arizona, which is where i expect him to end up.

Cadillac Williams, Auburn

Size: a little smaller than you would like - 5'11" 205

Speed: 4.5, but plays faster, lack of speed in game situations is not an issue, just watch him and you'll see he's a home run threat.

Running Style: The best natural runner of the big 3. Combination of extraordinary vision, balance, and cutting ability is almost unfair. Runs extremely tough for a smaller guy, breaks a lot of tackles and will use the stiff arm effectively. Runs inside like a bigger back. Great instinct and decisiveness. makes the first guy miss. will dance and sometime go backwards trying to make something out of nothing, but will also make the spectacular play. again, the best word is "natural"

Other skills: blocking and receiving are not strengths. very good punt returner.

Questions: Smallish frame brings up durability questions. Not a complete back. RBBC in auburn more of a question for him because of his size - hasnt proven he take the punishment of a full feature back load.

Williams will be a difference maker, the only question is whether he'll hold up under the wear and tear of a full NFL season. He is going to be a very exciting runner who will make "sportscenter" plays game in, game out. He will be a great fit for a balanced team that can spread the field, keep the defense honest with the pass, and give him room to work his magic. Eerily similar to Clinton Portis at times.

so we have the big 3:

Benson - the 25 carry a game workhorse

Brown - the swiss army knife

Williams - the electrifying natural runner

we move on to the 2nd tier...

Ciatrick Fason, Florida

size: 6'0" 215 - has the frame you want in an NFL feature back

speed: 4.4 - IMPRESSIVE

running style: hits the hole at full speed, runs with power, and can make you miss. has the jets to break a TD run from anywhere on the field

other skills: great receiver, poor blocker

questions: very raw, with only one season as a fulltime back under his belt. will need to learn all the details of the RB position.

Fason could have been a high first round pick in 2006 if he had went back to florida, but apparently the pressure of already having a wife and two kids was enough for him to go pro early. Fason will need some coaching, but the talent is there to be as good as any of the top 3 backs, and he showed dedication in his last season at florida through some rough patches - no reason to think he wont apply himself and learn to every facet of the position. He will be a perfect 2nd round pick for a team that doesn't need RB help immediately, but is still looking for their franchise back of the future. Probably the best physical specimen in the 2005 class.

Anybody have a link of these guys running? (esp. Fason) Last year I got a good feel for how good Mewelde Moore would be after watching him run.

Anybody have a link of these guys running? (esp. Fason) Last year I got a good feel for how good Mewelde Moore would be after watching him run.
FWIW - A great place for videos on some of the players is NFL Draftshowcase (LINK ).They put together highlight films on several - but not all - of the top players. They don't have many now, but check throughout the spring & see if he pops up.

Here's how I see it:
No JJ Arrington in your top 8?
Nope. I don't think he's featured back material at the next level.
Funny,I sorta like Arrington, but can't argue with you. He's played very well for CAL the last 2 years (spot duty as a JR), but I can see where you might have reservations.But what I fully disagree with is your third tier. If we were in a dynasty draft together, I'd be more than happy to tell you before the draft that I wouldn't touch either McClendon or Clarett. You need heart & health to make it onto my roster. They're both laking.

Here's how I see it:
No JJ Arrington in your top 8?
Nope. I don't think he's featured back material at the next level.
Funny,I sorta like Arrington, but can't argue with you. He's played very well for CAL the last 2 years (spot duty as a JR), but I can see where you might have reservations.But what I fully disagree with is your third tier. If we were in a dynasty draft together, I'd be more than happy to tell you before the draft that I wouldn't touch either McClendon or Clarett. You need heart & health to make it onto my roster. They're both laking.
Health concerns don't bother me. Injuries happen. Seeing as all RBs have a pretty good chance of getting injured over the course of a given year, I'm really not that concerned when a RB has had a few bruises and bumps in his past. Neither McLendon nor Clarett has ever had what I would consider to be a serious injury. As for the attitude stuff, you don't get fantasy points for helping old ladies cross the street. Besides, that stuff is blown out of proportion, particularly with Clarett. He's an immature kid, but he's not a violent criminal like Lawrence Phillips. There's a big difference. My philosophy is that I'd rather take a talented player with attitude problems than a marginal player with a great attitude. Why? Because the talented player MIGHT get it together and be productive. The marginal player will always be marginal, no matter how hard he tries. I rank McLendon and Clarett high because they have the physical ability to be starting RBs. I don't know that the same can be said for the backs that I rank behind them.

As for the attitude stuff, you don't get fantasy points for helping old ladies cross the street. Besides, that stuff is blown out of proportion, particularly with Clarett. He's an immature kid, but he's not a violent criminal like Lawrence Phillips. There's a big difference. My philosophy is that I'd rather take a talented player with attitude problems than a marginal player with a great attitude. Why? Because the talented player MIGHT get it together and be productive. The marginal player will always be marginal, no matter how hard he tries. I rank McLendon and Clarett high because they have the physical ability to be starting RBs. I don't know that the same can be said for the backs that I rank behind them.
I guess I see it another way. It takes a ton of work and effort to succeed in the NFL. That takes heart. You've got to want it more than the other guy. Clarett and McClendon are very good athletes. So good, in fact, I don't think they've ever had to work very hard to be successful.If Clarett would have gone to a lower division school to play and continue to get better, that would've shown heart & the willingness to do what it takes to improve.McClendon, has he ever played a whole season? He's always got a nagging injury that he can't seem to play through. I'm not a wolfpack expert, by any stretch, but that seems to indicate a lack of drive.I know their not criminals. LOL, well some might argue about Clarett... ;) I just see them as backs that are going to fade into oblivion along with countless others who didn't have the drive to put in the work to get better eaech year. Actually, there's one back in my the top tier that I'm concerned about in this vein.There's a couple WRs I'm going to let other people draft this year for the same reason. They might have the better measurables & upside, but I'm pretty convinced that they will never see the top end of the potential.

McClendon, has he ever played a whole season? He's always got a nagging injury that he can't seem to play through. I'm not a wolfpack expert, by any stretch, but that seems to indicate a lack of drive.
No, he never played a whole season. He missed 6 games in his career. But more importantly, he frequently missed plays and series due to nagging injuries, not to mention all the practices missed.Also, he never came close to his performance as a freshman in the two seasons after. For example, he scored 18 TDs as a freshman but only 11 as a sophomore and 7 as a junior. Yardage declined in similar fashion.
Code:
Totals Rushing Receiving SEASON RECORD ATT YDS AVG TD REC YDS AVG TD 2004 5-6 167 770 4.6 6 11 136 12.4 1 2003 - 130 608 4.7 9 40 368 9.2 2 2002 - 245 1101 4.5 18 42 354 8.4 0
One thing to note, however, is that the article I posted earlier knocked his receiving ability, and the numbers above seem to disprove that. In 2002 & 2003, with Rivers at QB, he had 82/722/2 receiving in only 22 games, and for his career, he has averaged 9.2 ypr.Then again, his receiving regressed as a junior, when he caught only 11 passes in 10 games. Maybe Rivers had a lot to do with his earlier success... either due to his accuracy or to the attention he drew away from McLendon.

Vernand Morency, Oklahoma St.

Size: 5'10" 215 - solid frame, fine for NFL punishment

Speed: 4.45 - a home run threat

Running Style: Good vision to see the hole and hit it hard. Has the speed to run away from you, and can make you miss him -displaying elusiveness in the open field, changing directions effortlessly, and doing the stop/start as well as any back in the draft. Not a power back, and therefore not the best for a vanilla between the tackles attack

Other: decent receiver, average blocker in college.

Questions: old for a rookie at 25, and somewhat new to the position, having spent 98-02 on a baseball career. Late start can be a plus when you consider that he has very little mileage on him.

Morency put up some monster games at oklahoma state last season, and he is a difference maker in the running game - definitely a guy who can take over a game. He projects to be a great 1st and 2nd down back right away, having a similar impact as julius and kevin jones. He'll be perfect for a team with a decent 3rd down back, and he can definitely fill your RB of the future slot. If he learns to run with power, he could be a complete stud RB in the NFL.

Marion Barber III, Minnesota

Size: 5'11" 215 - yet another built for the NFL

speed: 4.48 - not quite the take it to the house guy, but more than fast enough for a guy who runs with as much authority as barber does.

Running style: smooth and powerful, runs very hard and very strong, compact and low pad level. Hits the hole viciously and can move the pile, especially around the goal line. Has good vision and patience, and great cutback ability.

Other: good hands as a receiver and kick returner

Questions: I'm reading that speed is a reason that barber will drop to the 3rd round, but i don't buy it. When a guy runs as hard as barber does, his speed, while average for an RB, will be deceptive and surprise defenders. Part of RBBC at minnesota with lawrence maroney, who should be a first rounder next year - still hasnt carried the load for a team, always questions about "product of the system" in heavy run first offense at minnesota.

Barber will be very tantalizing for a team that runs a lot between the tackles - he might be the best RB in the draft for that running style. He might not be the gamebreaker that Morency is, but assuming he can withstand the punishment, he can really wear down a defense as the game goes on, taking a lot out of the linebackers and dbs who have to absorb the power he creates every time he touches the ball.

Bloom, I'll be extremely interested in seeing your rankings once the NFL Draft has taken place and we know where these guys will be starting their NFL careers.

Great stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Health concerns don't bother me. Injuries happen. Seeing as all RBs have a pretty good chance of getting injured over the course of a given year, I'm really not that concerned when a RB has had a few bruises and bumps in his past. Neither McLendon nor Clarett has ever had what I would consider to be a serious injury. As for the attitude stuff, you don't get fantasy points for helping old ladies cross the street. Besides, that stuff is blown out of proportion, particularly with Clarett. He's an immature kid, but he's not a violent criminal like Lawrence Phillips. There's a big difference.
Disagree on two counts: injuries and attitude.Injuries - a kid who has MISSED GAMES due to nagging injuries falls way down on my list. Some guys may never have had a serious injury (torn ligament, broken bone, severe sprain) but have still missed significant PT. The true warriors fight through it. In a way, these guys bother me much more than someone who had a one-time significant injury, which is more fluky. Attitude - Sure, a long, serious arrest record is a clear red flag. But I also think behavior similar to that of Clarett is almost as big a warning. A guy who has a prima donna attitude, has a record of disciplinary action (game suspensions, academic casualties to a degree, etc) can be just as problematic. I'm not talking about a guy suspended once for missing class. When you get to the Clarett stage I think it's a huge red flag. I certainly weigh their history in their whole resume, but think the difference between these guys and the Lawrence Phillipses often isn't that large.

T.A. McClendon, NC State

Size: 5' 11' 215 - seems NFL ready to me

Speed: 4.55 - average at best

running style: tough, physical, patient, takes more than one guy to bring him down, sees the hole well and hits it hard with a nice initial burst (common theme among these top backs) not shifty, but has great balance and gains yards after contact. can get outside.

other: GREAT receiver, when he concentrates, and good in blitz pickup, when he remembers his assignment (see a pattern?)

questions: injury plagued in college. burst on the scene in the freshman year with 18 TDs, and has never been the same since because of numerous injuries. not fast enough to be a breakaway threat. attitude/intensity/concentration issues, cases of fumblitis.

TA is right there with JJ arrington as most able to step in and be a complete feature back in the NFL - the frame, toughness, running style, and receiving skills are there. The durability/concentration issues will certainly scare some teams away, meaning TA should be available in the 3rd, and maybe even in the 4th round. He has the skills to be very good NFL RB, its just a question of "getting it" - watch where he ends up and listen closely to the camp reports.

T.A. McClendon, NC State

Size: 5' 11' 215 - seems NFL ready to me

Speed: 4.55 - average at best

running style: tough, physical, patient, takes more than one guy to bring him down, sees the hole well and hits it hard (common theme among these top backs)

other: GREAT receiver

questions: injury plagued in college. burst on the scene in the freshman year with 18 TDs, and has never been the same since because of numerous injuries. not fast enough to be a breakaway threat. attitude/intensity issues (see earlier post).

After the big 3, TA is right there with JJ arrington as most ready to step and be a feature back in the NFL - the frame, toughness, running style, and receiving skills are there. The durability/character issues will certainly scare some teams away, but TA should be available in the 3rd, and maybe even in the 4th round. He has the skills to be very good NFL RB, its just a question of "getting it" - watch where he ends up and listen closely to the camp reports.
Comments:1. While he had great receiving numbers in his first two seasons, he regressed as a junior without Philip Rivers throwing to him. And one thing not shown by the numbers (since I don't know where to find this statistic for college players) is drops. He had a LOT of drops. That's what the writer of the article I posted earlier was alluding to when he said every throw to McLendon was an adventure. My impression was that it was generally a lack of concentration.

2. You didn't mention his fumbles. Again, I'm not sure where to find college fumble statistics, but he fumbled frequently. Off the top of my head, I can think of two games State lost due to his fumbles, and I'm pretty certain there were at least a couple more.

3. Toughness is a double edged sword. He was plagued with injuries and frequently missed playing time even when he didn't miss entire games. Is he tough because he played as much as he did, or is he not tough because he didn't play more? I think many State fans who watched him play throughout his career would say the latter. (Including me.)

4. I'm not sure if you are using the term "character issues" to refer to his lack of intensity and poor work ethic... those are definitely issues with him. However, he never had any off field problems that I am aware of, so I probably wouldn't use that term to describe him.

Health concerns don't bother me. Injuries happen. Seeing as all RBs have a pretty good chance of getting injured over the course of a given year, I'm really not that concerned when a RB has had a few bruises and bumps in his past. Neither McLendon nor Clarett has ever had what I would consider to be a serious injury. As for the attitude stuff, you don't get fantasy points for helping old ladies cross the street. Besides, that stuff is blown out of proportion, particularly with Clarett. He's an immature kid, but he's not a violent criminal like Lawrence Phillips. There's a big difference.
Disagree on two counts: injuries and attitude.Injuries - a kid who has MISSED GAMES due to nagging injuries falls way down on my list. Some guys may never have had a serious injury (torn ligament, broken bone, severe sprain) but have still missed significant PT. The true warriors fight through it. In a way, these guys bother me much more than someone who had a one-time significant injury, which is more fluky. Attitude - Sure, a long, serious arrest record is a clear red flag. But I also think behavior similar to that of Clarett is almost as big a warning. A guy who has a prima donna attitude, has a record of disciplinary action (game suspensions, academic casualties to a degree, etc) can be just as problematic. I'm not talking about a guy suspended once for missing class. When you get to the Clarett stage I think it's a huge red flag. I certainly weigh their history in their whole resume, but think the difference between these guys and the Lawrence Phillipses often isn't that large.
A lot of players miss games. Deuce McAllister was frequently injured in college. I think Curtis Martin was in the same boat. Injuries happen. Jamal Lewis was banged up this year. Had this been his only college season, we could label him a "soft" player like people do Clarett. Jamal isn't the greatest example, but he does demonstrate the point that nagging injuries can happen to anyone. RBs get hurt. Every RB gets hurt. That's the way it goes. There's a big difference between Lawrence Phillips and Maurice Clarett. The former is a violent headcase, while the latter is a lazy kid who still has time to learn from his mistakes. The bottom line for me is that I want a player who has a chance to excel. Though McLendon and Clarett aren't Boy Scouts and haven't proven to be durable, they have shown flashes of the talent necessary to be an NFL starter. That alone makes them far more valuable than the mediocre dime a dozen types who figure to go in the same draft range.

Users who are viewing this thread