What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can somebody convince me that Steve Smith (1 Viewer)

Why are people not higher on this guy? It's not like he's coming off an injury like an ACL tear. He's playing for the team that had the #1 receiver last year, and got those numbers in the offense/spot Smith will playing in this year. Throw in Smith's limitless talent and the fact that he's tearing it up in the preseason and I'm left to wonder why this guy is ranked as low as he is.If you're down on him, please tell me why.

I drafted him him at 3.1 last year and had big hopes for him. Unfortunately he broke his fibula and was out for the season. He has been on my rosters since 2003 and I would welcome the chance to draft him again if he falls to me.

Talk to Woods and Hicks...they say he's lost a step and the Panther's won't throw the ball enough. They also say the loss of Muhammad will result in more attention being directed Smith's way while the strength of Colbert/Gardner will cut into his looks.I say look at the facts. :boxing:

Talk to Woods and Hicks...they say he's lost a step and the Panther's won't throw the ball enough. They also say the loss of Muhammad will result in more attention being directed Smith's way while the strength of Colbert/Gardner will cut into his looks.

I say look at the facts. :boxing:
Sooooo, Muhammed leaving will get Smith more attention from opposing defenses, yet Colbert and Gardner are going to steal balls? Which is it? And link to this Woods/Hicks info? And why won't they throw enough?

80-1100-8 max, possibility of 70-900-5.Above average WR, but not nearly in Muhammad's class, and the offense and situation surrounding the offense will be vastly different this season. Im not a Smith hater; I called his 2003 breakout season when no one was high on him...but the situations arent the same.

Talk to Woods and Hicks...they say he's lost a step and the Panther's won't throw the ball enough.  They also say the loss of Muhammad will result in more attention being directed Smith's way while the strength of Colbert/Gardner will cut into his looks.

I say look at the facts.  :boxing:
Sooooo, Muhammed leaving will get Smith more attention from opposing defenses, yet Colbert and Gardner are going to steal balls? Which is it? And link to this Woods/Hicks info? And why won't they throw enough?
Don't ask me which it is.

80-1100-8 max, possibility of 70-900-5.

Above average WR, but not nearly in Muhammad's class, and the offense and situation surrounding the offense will be vastly different this season.

Im not a Smith hater; I called his 2003 breakout season when no one was high on him...but the situations arent the same.
Mostly agreed.Although I'm not sure the offensive situation will be that different this year. When Muhammad was at his best, the Panthers defense and running game was very strong.

I have Smith ranked 6 right after the big 5(Moss, Johnson, Owens, Holt, Harrison) Did a draft last night(10 man), after watching Rudi and Chad go right before me at 3.5, i was going to take Smith, but thought he might last to the 4th. I took DJax and held my breath, he did make it back to me in the 4th. :D Anyway, i am a HUGE fan of Smith this year. A few obvious facts make it a no brainer.1. In 2003, he and Muhammad were both healthy, and Smith was clearly the #1 WR, and only got better as the year went on.2. In 2004, Muhammad finished as the #1 WR with only Colbert on the other side.3. Muhammad is gone, and Smith has Colbert and Gardner, 2 guys who are decent enough to draw some attention, but not good enough to be #1 WR's.4. Delhomme has been a very productive QB, and seems to love Smith.5. Smith has been doing VERY well in the preseason.

Talk to Woods and Hicks...they say he's lost a step and the Panther's won't throw the ball enough. They also say the loss of Muhammad will result in more attention being directed Smith's way while the strength of Colbert/Gardner will cut into his looks.

I say look at the facts. :boxing:
Don't ask me which it is.
I usually only pay attention to the over/under value plays when they receive more than two votes.

I don't see why 8 TDs is the "max" for Smith this year. The guy is a playmaker and I believe his TD upside is much greater than 8.I would set the over/under at 7...which certainly doesn't mean his max is 8.

Having Rod Gardner on the team will take pressure off Smith as the season goes on and Gardner gets used to the Panthers system. Gardner is also a "clutch" receiver....

Why is Steve Smith so awesomely talented? Is it his dominating height at 5'9"? His 10 career TDs? His best year, he caught 88 passes for 1110 yds and 7 TDs. 12.6 YPC isn't great, especially for someone that is supposed to be so fast.Maybe he's undervalued right now, but a ranking of 12 to 20 seems about right to me. Why should I think he'll be a top 10 WR? Because Muhammad put up a fluke year last year?

Above average WR, but not nearly in Muhammad's class, and the offense and situation surrounding the offense will be vastly different this season.

Im not a Smith hater; I called his 2003 breakout season when no one was high on him...but the situations arent the same.
You are joking right???Moose was the number 2 man behind Smith......officially for one season, but really two. If not for the injury last year it would have been 3 years for Moose as a #2 man.

You are joking right???Moose was the number 2 man behind Smith......officially for one season, but really two. If not for the injury last year it would have been 3 years for Moose as a #2 man.
I'd be shocked if Smith ever puts up a season like Muhammad did last year. Muhammad's a big physical receiver with all the tools.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why is Steve Smith so awesomely talented?  Is it his dominating height at 5'9"?  His 10 career TDs?  His best year, he caught 88 passes for 1110 yds and 7 TDs.  12.6 YPC isn't great, especially for someone that is supposed to be so fast.

Maybe he's undervalued right now, but a ranking of 12 to 20 seems about right to me.  Why should I think he'll be a top 10 WR?  Because Muhammad put up a fluke year last year?
What was his worst year? 88 catches 1110 yards and 7 TD's is pretty darn good considering it was his first year as a starter(and only full year he has played) Also, dont forget what he did in the playoffs that year as well.

Why is Steve Smith so awesomely talented? Is it his dominating height at 5'9"? His 10 career TDs? His best year, he caught 88 passes for 1110 yds and 7 TDs. 12.6 YPC isn't great, especially for someone that is supposed to be so fast.

Maybe he's undervalued right now, but a ranking of 12 to 20 seems about right to me. Why should I think he'll be a top 10 WR? Because Muhammad put up a fluke year last year?
A couple of points here.A) The best year you spoke of was his 3rd year, those numbers are awesome for a third year WR.

B) Steve Smith by many accounts was going to blow up last year and looked like the next tier 1 WR before he got injured in week 1. He was literally uncoverable.

C) He's the clear #1 on his team that has a solid QB

D) Even in a more conservative offense a WR can pull in 100 receptions in today's NFL.

:thumbup: I was about to type in these words verbatim (except my version had more dots between 'Smith' and 'officially').

Why is Steve Smith so awesomely talented?  Is it his dominating height at 5'9"?  His 10 career TDs?  His best year, he caught 88 passes for 1110 yds and 7 TDs.  12.6 YPC isn't great, especially for someone that is supposed to be so fast.

Maybe he's undervalued right now, but a ranking of 12 to 20 seems about right to me.  Why should I think he'll be a top 10 WR?  Because Muhammad put up a fluke year last year?
A couple of points here.A) The best year you spoke of was his 3rd year, those numbers are awesome for a third year WR.

B) Steve Smith by many accounts was going to blow up last year and looked like the next tier 1 WR before he got injured in week 1. He was literally uncoverable.

D) Even in a more conservative offense a WR can pull in 100 receptions in today's NFL.
:goodposting:

I'd be shocked if Smith ever puts up a season like Muhammad did last year. Muhammad's a big physical receiver with all the tools.
Exactly. Smith couldnt dream of doing the things Moose did last year. Muhammad has fought through alot of injuries, but hes always had #1 WR ability. Smith is a good #2 WR who can be forced into a #1 role.

As an example of WRs that can blow up, despite having a very bad passing offense, I present to you Anquan Boldin:

Code:
       +--------------------------+-------------------------+                 |          Rushing         |        Receiving        |+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+| Year  TM |   G |   Att  Yards    Y/A   TD |   Rec  Yards   Y/R   TD |+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+| 2003 ari |  16 |     5     40    8.0    0 |   101   1377  13.6    8 |+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+|  TOTAL   |  26 |     6     43    7.2    0 |   157   2000  12.7    9 |+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------
Code:
           |---------- PASSING -----------||----- RUSHING -----|  TOTAL               CMP  ATT   YD    YPA   TD INT  ATT   YD    YPA  TD     YD                 299  533  3202   6.01  14  18  475  1668  3.51  15   4870NFL rank --->  19   14   23   28   29  21   11   22    30   10     27
So, despite the Cardinals offense ranking 23rd in passing offense, Anquan had a monster year.

Exactly. Smith couldnt dream of doing the things Moose did last year. Muhammad has fought through alot of injuries, but hes always had #1 WR ability. Smith is a good #2 WR who can be forced into a #1 role.
What can Muhammad do that Steve Smith can not.....other than be 6 foot tall?

You might want to review the list of NFL reception leaders last year LHUCKS. (HINT: no one got to 100 as a WR)

You might want to review the list of NFL reception leaders last year LHUCKS. (HINT: no one got to 100 as a WR)
see above post ;)

Smith just went at 4.02 in a 12 league with PPR. For the Smith lovers - what kind of numbers do you see from him?Do you have him ahead of Moss, Holt, C. Johnson, Harrison, Owens, J. Walker, Horn, R. Wayne, A. Johnson?

Use his body, get open consistently, consistently dominate opposing defenses.

If Smith hadn't been injured Moose would have struggled for 800 yards last year.Last year was a fluke year for Moose, just takes a glance through his history to see that. So you are correct, I don't think Smith is the #1 WR this year.....of course there is no way Moose has another season like last year.

The question is: Is he top 10?

Steve Smith gets twice the separation that Muhammad does...I'm not exaggerating. You're comparing Marvin Harrison to Herman Moore.

Smith just went at 4.02 in a 12 league with PPR.

For the Smith lovers - what kind of numbers do you see from him?

Do you have him ahead of Moss, Holt, C. Johnson, Harrison, Owens, J. Walker, Horn, R. Wayne, A. Johnson?
No to the first 5, yes to the rest.95 catches, 1340 yards, 9 TD's

Why is Steve Smith so awesomely talented? Is it his dominating height at 5'9"? His 10 career TDs? His best year, he caught 88 passes for 1110 yds and 7 TDs. 12.6 YPC isn't great, especially for someone that is supposed to be so fast.

Maybe he's undervalued right now, but a ranking of 12 to 20 seems about right to me. Why should I think he'll be a top 10 WR? Because Muhammad put up a fluke year last year?

A) Smith ranked as the 15th best WR in fantasy points (and FP/G) in 2003, at the age of 24. How good is that?That tied with Michael Jackson for the 47th best fantasy WR season by a 24 year old since 1970. 105 total WRs (age 24) ranked in the top 30.

B) Kevan Barlow by many accounts was going to blow up last year. I'm not really even sure what "looking like the next tier 1 WR" means, but I'm pretty sure Santana Moss did too.

C) That's true, although that doesn't separate him from Drew Bennett, Laveranues Coles or Michael Clayton, among others.

D) I'm not really sure how this raises Smith's value relative to other WRs.

Do you have him ahead of Moss, Holt, C. Johnson, Harrison, Owens, J. Walker, Horn, R. Wayne, A. Johnson?
Steve Smith is one of the top five WR's in the league from a football perspective. He's a tough SOB, fearless over the middle, and will go up with the best of them. Add his speed and he's on par with anyone in the league. I watched almost every game in 2003 and the guy NEVER stepped out of bounds. He'd take brutal punishment to get an extra half yard. If there's anyone who can will his way to the top, it's Smith. He's even demonstrated that he has his anger issues under control. Last year I said he was almost undraftable at his ADP because of his injury risk. This year at an ADP of WR15, I'll take my chances for the shot at a cheap top 5 WR. Don't let the fantasy predictions fool you, the Panthers will have a strong running attack. Between Davis, Foster, Shelton, and Goings and Robertson, someone will produce behind the improved line, hence opening up the field for Smith. 2003 game logs

1 CAR JAX 0 0 0 6 4 44 1 10.4 [play-by-play]

2 CAR TB 0 0 0 8 3 27 0 2.7 [play-by-play]

4 CAR ATL 2 -1 0 6 5 47 0 4.6 [play-by-play]

5 CAR NO 0 0 0 4 1 13 0 1.3 [play-by-play]

6 CAR IND 1 10 0 9 6 103 1 17.3 [play-by-play]

7 CAR TEN 1 -2 0 14 10 151 1 20.9 [play-by-play]

8 CAR NO 1 10 0 12 9 100 0 11.0 [play-by-play]

9 CAR HOU 1 6 0 7 5 88 1 15.4 [play-by-play]

10 CAR TB 1 14 0 11 9 72 1 14.6 [play-by-play]

11 CAR WAS 1 -2 0 8 4 50 0 4.8 [play-by-play]

12 CAR DAL 1 12 0 8 4 73 0 8.5 [play-by-play]

13 CAR PHI 1 -2 0 9 5 80 1 13.8 [play-by-play]

14 CAR ATL 0 0 0 13 7 66 0 6.6 [play-by-play]

15 CAR ARI 0 0 0 12 9 99 0 9.9 [play-by-play]

16 CAR DET 1 -3 0 7 5 81 1 13.8 [play-by-play]

17 CAR NYG 0 0 0 7 2 16 0 1.6 [play-by-play]

TOT 11 42 0 141 88 1110 7 157.2

Remember Delhomme was new at the beginning of the season replacing Peete as the starter. From week 6-16 (he only played a quarter or so in week 17 as the game meant nothing), the worst statistical day for Smith was 4-50. If you expand those 11 games into an entire season you get 106-1400-9. Based on the 2005 FBG projections this would put Smith in the #5 to #6 range with Johnson and Horn. Smith has already demonstrated that he's an elite WR over a significant period of time. The 2003 postseason stats were 18-404-3 in four games. That gives us a stretch of 15 consecutive meaningful games where the stats total 91-1367-9.

2005: 106-1400-9 rec 3-20-0 rush

90/1175/8Upside projection:

105/1350/12 :yes:

Definitely ahead of Andre Johnson.

Same tier as Horn/Walker/Wayne

Behind TO, Moss, Horn, Harrison, Holt.

:shock: Hmmm, maybe you should check Mushins career stats again.

see above post ;)
If Im reading you right here, and believe me Im hoping Im wrong...You are comparing Boldin's situation in 03 to Smith's in 05?Boldin was by far the ONLY offensive threat on a bad team, unless you are high on Nate Poole.

Smith has Keary Colbert, Rod Gardner and Ricky Proehl to share receptions with.

Do you really believe the situations are comparable?

Steve Smith has never had two touchdowns in an NFL game. Muhammad had multiple TDs in back to back games multiple times last year. No comparison.

Nothing like a nice steve Smith debate on the board on a lazy Saturday afternoon...it's good to be back :thumbup:

Ahead of:Moss - NO

Holt - NO

CJ - No

Harrison - No

Owens - No

Walker - On the fence if I went with my gut I would say no (mainly b/c of Walkers 12 TD's last year)

Horn - Yes

Wayne - Yes

Johnson - Yes

I could see Smith with 90 rec 1320 yds and 9-10 TD's

When healthy and not being thrown to by Rodney Peete/Chris Weinke, Muhammad has always been a much MUCH better WR than what Smith is.Smith is an undersized possession WR, who is best suited to play across a guy like Muhammad. Hes not a #1 guy.

Ahead of:Moss - NO

Holt - NO

CJ - No

Harrison - No

Owens - No

Walker - On the fence if I went with my gut I would say no (mainly b/c of Walkers 12 TD's last year)

Horn - Yes

Wayne - Yes

Johnson - Yes

I could see Smith with 90 rec 1320 yds and 9-10 TD's
:eek: Mmm, kool-aid

Edit to add: Sorry Phrozen, I just saw BNB's "top 5 WR in the NFL" remark. Thats far more insane than anything you posted.

If Im reading you right here, and believe me Im hoping Im wrong...You are comparing Boldin's situation in 03 to Smith's in 05?

Boldin was by far the ONLY offensive threat on a bad team, unless you are high on Nate Poole.

Smith has Keary Colbert, Rod Gardner and Ricky Proehl to share receptions with.

Do you really believe the situations are comparable?
I'm not comparing the two, I'm simply providing an example of how a very low ranking team, can produce a top 5 fantasy WR.LOL at Smith having any competition for balls...he is easily the best pass-catching threat on this team.

When healthy and not being thrown to by Rodney Peete/Chris Weinke, Muhammad has always been a much MUCH better WR than what Smith is.

Smith is an undersized possession WR, who is best suited to play across a guy like Muhammad. Hes not a #1 guy.
:wall: But he was the #1 ahead of Moose in 2003. Yet you are asserting that Moose is easily a #1 guy. If Moose is a #1, Smith is a great #1.

A) Smith ranked as the 15th best WR in fantasy points (and FP/G) in 2003, at the age of 24. How good is that?That tied with Michael Jackson for the 47th best fantasy WR season by a 24 year old since 1970. 105 total WRs (age 24) ranked in the top 30.

B) Kevan Barlow by many accounts was going to blow up last year. I'm not really even sure what "looking like the next tier 1 WR" means, but I'm pretty sure Santana Moss did too.

C) That's true, although that doesn't separate him from Drew Bennett, Laveranues Coles or Michael Clayton, among others.

Thoughts LHUCKS?

When healthy and not being thrown to by Rodney Peete/Chris Weinke, Muhammad has always been a much MUCH better WR than what Smith is.Smith is an undersized possession WR, who is best suited to play across a guy like Muhammad. Hes not a #1 guy.
Really, did you have Muhammad ranked ahead of Smith going into last year?

A) Very GoodB) Steve Smith has done it before, Barlow never had, not to mention the Panthers offense is proven and the 49ers were a cluster####.

C) Smith's talent is what separates him from Bennett, not to mention his more stable offensive situation. Coles and Clayton are comparable.

D) Alone it doesn't, was just making the point that the more conservative offense doesn't mean 75 receptions for Smith.

Users who are viewing this thread