What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jerry Sandusky accused of child molestation (1 Viewer)

"Former Penn State coach Jerry Sandusky worked out at Penn State football facilities as recently as last week, Dan Wetzel of Yahoo! Sports reports."

Article

I wouldn't be surprised if he offs himself.
That's why I'm extremely surprised by the bail amount. He should be without bail and on suicide watch. It also wouldn't surprise me, not that I am insinuating anything, but if he does, a suicide note would seem to clear JoPa.
Maybe they're hoping he kills himself. I know I am.
I'm not. I want everyone involved to go down for this. Especially the enablers. I don't want an easy way out for Sandusky, he needs to go to jail and suffer as he made others suffer.

Just finished arguing with 2 guys at the office - both defending JoePa saying he did what he was supposed to do undert he law....said he wasnt an eye witness so reported it as he should have end of story....bad guys are in the AD. The pro JoePa camps are going to beat this drum.
Ask your co-workers this question: if the mandatory reporting law didn't exist, would they defend JoePa if he kept silent?A lot of these "mandatory reporting" laws didn't even exist until a few years ago. Since when should you need a law to force you to do the right thing?

Just finished arguing with 2 guys at the office - both defending JoePa saying he did what he was supposed to do undert he law....said he wasnt an eye witness so reported it as he should have end of story....bad guys are in the AD. The pro JoePa camps are going to beat this drum.
Ask your co-workers this question: if the mandatory reporting law didn't exist, would they defend JoePa if he kept silent?A lot of these "mandatory reporting" laws didn't even exist until a few years ago. Since when should you need a law to force you to do the right thing?
I agree and argue that as the "pope of Penn ST" no way he wasnt involved to some extent and his obligations rise higher than most due to the educational connection. Plus the fact that it was his friend and the way things went down makes it look real shady....They said since he wasnt a direct witness what more should he have done and passed the buck to the GA as well as the AD - everyone but Joe Pa.....also said they would have no problem sending their sons to play their under his watch. Dont underestimate the power of ther Paterno legacy .....he's is not going to step down on his own and he will have his defenders

Authorities condemned Penn State University today for what they called a widespread culture of failing to report the alleged sexual abuse of childrenby assistant football coach Gerald "Jerry" Sandusky.

"This is not a case about football. This is not a case about universities. This is a case about children that have had their innocence stolen and a culture that did nothing to stop it or prevent it from happening to others," said State Police Commissioner Frank Noonan.

School Athletic Director Tim Curley and Vice President of Finance Gary Shultz were arraigned today on charges of perjury and failure to report abuse.

Sandusky was arrested Saturday and charged with molesting eight boys over the course of 15 years, at least three of which were brought to the attention of employees at Penn State who failed to report the incidences to police.

Head football coach Joseph Paterno, who recently set a record for the most games won by a top division coach, had been told of an eyewitness account by a university staff member of Sandusky having a sexually inappropriate relationship with a boy about the age of 10 in 2002.

Paterno relayed the report to Curley, but did not call police. Paterno was only legally bound to tell his supervisor, which he did, according to the attorney general.

Police are still trying to determine the identity of the boy.

"There aren't many heros involved" in the case, Noonan said.

The commissioner said there had been three instances in which school officials allegedly witnessed Sandusky sexually assaulting a boy, but no one acted to prevent it from recurring.

"I don't think I've ever seen something like this before," Noonan said.

Curly and Shultz, as administrators of the university who knew the details of the eyewitness report and did not notify police, are now charged with perjury and failure to report abuse.

When asked about Paterno, Noonan said, "He is not regarded as a target at this point."

School President Graham Spanier also has not been charged. It is unclear whether Spanier knew the full extent of the allegations.

The allegations against Sandusky include eight named victims who have testified that Sandusky befriended them through the charitable organization he founded, The Second Mile, a group home and outreach program for troubled boys. Sandusky allegedly tried to mentor the boys, plied them with gifts, trips to sporting events, and access to the Penn State football facilities, and then sexually assaulted them.

Sandusky had coached at Penn State for 23 years, and served as the defensive coordinator for 23 years, before retiring in 1999. After his retirement, Sandusky continued to have full access to the school's grounds and an office in the football department, where he brought children from The Second Mile, according to indictment.

Following the incident in 2002, in which Paterno and his supervisors were notified, Sandusky continued to have access to the grounds, showers, and an office in the department.

In two previous incidences, janitors witnessed Sandusky having sexual contact with a boy in the shower but failed to report it for fear of losing their job. The university police were notified by a mother whose son told her about sexual contact with Sandusky on campus grounds. The university police and county district attorney did not press charges and the case was closed.

Curly and Shultz announced they were both stepping down from their positions after an executive session of Penn State's Board of Trustees on Sunday. Their decision follows the arrest Saturday of Sandusky on charges of sexually abusing eight boys in a program he started for at-risk kids.

Spanier made a statement late Sunday that Curley had requested he be placed on administrative leave so he can deal with the allegations, while Schultz will be going back into retirement, The Associated Press reported.

Spanier said Curley and Schultz have his "unconditional support," but state prosecutors say the university failed to follow up on the allegations or to notify police.

Sandusky, once known for grooming star players for the Penn State Nittany Lions, was considered both a possible successor to legendary head coach Joe Paterno and a pillar of the community. He is now free on $100,000 bail and is scheduled to attend a preliminary hearing on Nov. 9, but has been banned from the university campus. He faces life behind bars if convicted.

According to an explicit grand jury indictment Sandusky used his position to recruit young, male victims -- many of whom he allegedly assaulted in campus facilities.

According to the report, in 2002 a graduate assistant said he saw Sandusky having sex with a boy in the showers at the team's practice center. The assistant went to Paterno -- a man who has staked his reputation on running a program known for ethics and integrity -- and Paterno in turn relayed the incident to Curley.

Curley never reported the incident to police, while Sandusky continued to work with children and allegedly continued to abuse several minors over the following years.

On Saturday Sandusky was arrested and charged with 40 counts of sex crimes against eight boys. When questioned at his home by ABC News about the scandal, Sandusky said he was not at liberty to speak about the allegations.

"The situation is in the courts and I'm not to make any comments," he told ABC News. "Unfortunately, unfortunately I'm not in the position to make any statements."

His attorney says Sandusky has maintained his innocence.

"He's very distraught about the charges, the allegations and the knowledge that regardless of whether he eventually proves his guilt or innocence people are going to think that he did this," attorney Joe Amendola said.

This whole story makes me ill
penn st president really needs to run anyone with any remote knowledge of this situation, including joe pa.
IMO this is the only resolution at this point.
Nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
[paxton]####in A![/paxton]
Just scrap the whole program and start over. Get rid of that "Nittany" thing and just call them the Lions. The only thing they should keep is the uniforms.

I guess that's fine, but at the end of the day JoePa either:1. Kept a GA on his staff (and promoted him ) thinking that the allegations against Sandusky were false and this guy had lied about a rape of a child.

2. Allowed Sandusky to keep an office in the building, to hold overnight football camps with kids and to bring children onto the sidelines for practice, believing the allegations the GA made in 2002.

or

3. He really had no idea what was going on because he's been senile for the past 15 years and is just a figurehead with no real decision making ability/authority at all.

I don't think there's any other alternatives. He either covered up for a pedophile, promoted a guy who falsely accused a friend of being a pedophile or he's completely out of touch.
I think it could be somwhere in the middle of the two. He had to have known something happened, as the GA brought the Sandusky issue to him and in turn he took it "up the ladder".I could see how someone, especially if it was a friend (like in this case), would be willing to turn a blind eye. Maybe Paterno rationalized that what he did was enough, and the responsibility for handling the situation was not only not his, but if the powers that be deemed nothing had occurred or there would be no punishment legally or from the institution, who was he to press it.

I am not condoning that action at all, I just don't think it as black or white as the possibilities you pointed out. My guess is that most of these guys did sweep it under the rug, but probably made enough of an internal attempt to report the sitatuion so they could 1. sleep at night, 2. have plausible legal deniability and 3. not interrupt the cas flow and success of the football program by going directly to the police.

ETA - It's come out now and hopefully all of those involved will pay the correct price, whatever that may be.

Last edited by a moderator:
More I read about it and think about it the worse it looks for Paterno.
Of course it does. Paterno might look better if this was a one-time thing and Sandusky just happened to get caught. But it sure looks like there is a long-term pattern of abuse going on there such that, regardless of what was actually reported, Paterno really had to have blinders on, along with a good dose of purposeful forgetting, not to at least suspect something really bad was going on.

I guess that's fine, but at the end of the day JoePa either:1. Kept a GA on his staff (and promoted him ) thinking that the allegations against Sandusky were false and this guy had lied about a rape of a child.

2. Allowed Sandusky to keep an office in the building, to hold overnight football camps with kids and to bring children onto the sidelines for practice, believing the allegations the GA made in 2002.

or

3. He really had no idea what was going on because he's been senile for the past 15 years and is just a figurehead with no real decision making ability/authority at all.

I don't think there's any other alternatives. He either covered up for a pedophile, promoted a guy who falsely accused a friend of being a pedophile or he's completely out of touch.
I think it could be somwhere in the middle of the two. He had to have known something happened, as the GA brought the Sandusky issue to him and in turn he took it "up the ladder".I could see how someone, especially if it was a friend (like in this case), would be willing to turn a blind eye. Maybe Paterno rationalized that what he did was enough, and the responsibility for handling the situation was not only not his, but if the powers that be deemed nothing had occurred or there would be no punishment legally or from the institution, who was he to press it.

I am not condoning that action at all, I just don't think it as black or white as the possibilities you pointed out. My guess is that most of these guys did sweep it under the rug, but probably made enough of an internal attempt to report the sitatuion so they could 1. sleep at night, 2. have plausible legal deniability and 3. not interrupt the cas flow and success of the football program by going directly to the police.
I guess I don't see the shades of gray in 1 and 2. If the GA saw what he said, then Sandusky being allowed in the facilities is something Paterno shouldn't have stood for. If the GA didn't see what he said, he should not have been promoted.

Sure, the situation can be rationalized in any number of ways, but those are the options. He could either have believed the allegation or not believed it, and whichever way he chose, his later actions show that he wasn't consistent to that belief.

I think you're right that the main motivation was to keep the reputation of the program intact and to keep the donations flowing in. However Paterno rationalized it to himself the result is that he most likely turned a blind eye to pedophilia accusations that came from someone he trusts enough to promote to an assistant coaching position in order to keep the school's reputation and name clean for a few more years.

Ok forgive me. I have been following for the most part and reading here and there but why is this coming out now? I have no issues with these creeps getting destroyed, just curious to the timing.

Did someone come forward again? recently?

Ok forgive me. I have been following for the most part and reading here and there BUT why is this coming out now? I have no issues with these creeps getting destroyed, just curious to the timing?Did someone come forward again? recently?
there was an incident in a local high school where he was a "volunteer coach" where he got caught by another coach in a compromising situation (in 2006 or 2007)... In 2008 another kid's mother reported the incident, and the school passed it along to the authorities along with the details of the previous compromising incident. They went to work and identified 7 other kids/incidents.

Ok forgive me. I have been following for the most part and reading here and there BUT why is this coming out now? I have no issues with these creeps getting destroyed, just curious to the timing?Did someone come forward again? recently?
there was an incident in a local high school where he was a "volunteer coach" where he got caught by another coach in a compromising situation (in 2006 or 2007)... In 2008 another kid's mother reported the incident, and the school passed it along to the authorities along with the details of the previous compromising incident. They went to work and identified 7 other kids/incidents.
Thanks. I am sometimes "suspect" when things come out of the blue much much later. This however is not one of those times. I was just curious how/why this was getting uncovered now. I hope the guy gets his balls cut off in prison.....

A guy on a Phillies board I read has long claimed to be an "insider". From what I can tell, he is connected somehow with the local State College High School football team and gets most of his info from people who cover both State College high school and college football. He usually has the scoop on things like player discipline and recruiting, but is rarely right when it comes to major stories... anywho... he posted this on December 3rd, 2007...

Do you know that since Jerry retired in 1999, he and Paterno have spoken with each other exactly once. And that only happened because they randomly ran into each other on campus one day.
At the time he posted this, he was trying to make Joe look like an egomaniac who ran Jerry out of the program just to ensure no one was waiting around to take his job. Now it all makes a bit more sense.

Ok forgive me. I have been following for the most part and reading here and there but why is this coming out now? I have no issues with these creeps getting destroyed, just curious to the timing.

For reference, here is the timeline. What is missing here is when did the grand jury convene, what happened between 2008 and now... was that a 3-year investigation, or what?

A guy on a Phillies board I read has long claimed to be an "insider". From what I can tell, he is connected somehow with the local State College High School football team and gets most of his info from people who cover both State College high school and college football. He usually has the scoop on things like player discipline and recruiting, but is rarely right when it comes to major stories... anywho... he posted this on December 3rd, 2007...

Do you know that since Jerry retired in 1999, he and Paterno have spoken with each other exactly once. And that only happened because they randomly ran into each other on campus one day.
At the time he posted this, he was trying to make Joe look like an egomaniac who ran Jerry out of the program just to ensure no one was waiting around to take his job. Now it all makes a bit more sense.
That's where Sandusky was a volunteer coach right?

Ok forgive me. I have been following for the most part and reading here and there but why is this coming out now? I have no issues with these creeps getting destroyed, just curious to the timing.Did someone come forward again? recently?
Sandusky was arrested over the weekened, Curley and Schultz were charged with perjury, and the grand jury testimony was released.

For reference, here is the timeline. What is missing here is when did the grand jury convene, what happened between 2008 and now... was that a 3-year investigation, or what?
Not sure if what they say in that timeline how I feel about Paterno. It says the next day he tells HIS higher up that an asisstant saw this behavior. They then talk to the assisstant directly.Maybe (benefit of the doubt) - Joe thought it was being handled, with the proper authorities etc.

That's all I have about Joe Pa - the rest of the creeps can die.

what's scary is how many others there could be in this time frame...2000 to 2002...2002 to 2005...we can probably assume the sick #### just didn't stop doing it during these times

what's scary is how many others there could be in this time frame...2000 to 2002...2002 to 2005...we can probably assume the sick #### just didn't stop doing it during these times
1977 - 1998...

"Former Penn State coach Jerry Sandusky worked out at Penn State football facilities as recently as last week, Dan Wetzel of Yahoo! Sports reports."

Article

I wouldn't be surprised if he offs himself.
That's why I'm extremely surprised by the bail amount. He should be without bail and on suicide watch. It also wouldn't surprise me, not that I am insinuating anything, but if he does, a suicide note would seem to clear JoPa.
Maybe they're hoping he kills himself. I know I am.
That's the cowardly easy way out. He needs to go to trial and look these kids in the eye today and then suffer worse than they suffered by the hands of hardened felons.

That's really nice that he decided not to talk to him any more. What he needed to do was make sure he couldn't continue to abuse more boys. Not only didn't he do that, he didn't even stop it from happening in the same building in which he worked.

What I really haven't heard discussed is that Sandusky adopted 6 children and fostered many more in his home. Are those people being interviewed?

Not sure if what they say in that timeline how I feel about Paterno. It says the next day he tells HIS higher up that an asisstant saw this behavior. They then talk to the assisstant directly.
Good commentary here:
Like Victim 2. A Penn State graduate assistant coach shows up at the football locker room unexpectedly, and hears slapping noises from the shower. Here’s what the report said:

“As the graduate assistant put the sneakers in his locker, he looked into the shower. He saw a naked boy, Victim 2, whose age he estimated to be ten years old, with his hands up against the wall, being subjected to anal intercourse by a naked Sandusky.’’

The assistant fled in fear and confusion. Much the same way a janitor fled after allegedly witnessing Sandusky engaged in a sexual act in the showers with a “young boy” — Victim 8, later described in the report as being “between the ages of 11 and 13.”

They fled? They didn’t help the boys? They didn’t call the police?

To read this report is to be sickened, but also to wonder why no one did anything to help.

And while the graduate assistant and janitor don’t get a pass, they were reacting to an emotional and horrifying scene.

Joe Paterno was not. Penn State athletic director Tim Curley was not. Penn State’s senior VP of finances and business Gary Schultz was not. Penn State president Graham Spanier was not.

They were acting, if the grand jury is right, in the most cool, calculating, self-preserving way. Curley and Schultz were charged with perjury and failure to report for allegedly failing to alert police when they learned of the alleged facts pertaining to Victim 2 in a meeting with the graduate assistant. And late Sunday night, the two stepped down from their positions at Penn State.

According to the report, no one even asked the name of some of these boys.

If the report is right, Paterno, leader of men for the past half century, simply called his athletic director and passed on the information of the rape his graduate assistant described to him; like telling your boss on a co-worker who is stealing staples from the supply closet.

No, Paterno, and the other school officials, did nothing to help the boys, or to help any other boys in the future.

They actually told Sandusky that he couldn’t keep bringing boys from his charity onto the Penn State campus, into the football facilities, according to the grand jury findings.

Not that they told him to stop doing to those boys what is alleged.

Just stop doing it here.

If that claim is true, Paterno needs to resign right now, though he is not charged with any crime. And yes, he reported it to his boss. But it’s fair to expect more from him.

What is alleged is a crime that thrives in the dark, when people are looking the other way. It is a crime with the most vulnerable and defenseless victims. So any time someone knows anything, or even suspects, it demands someone with the courage to speak up.

Or boys keep getting hurt. With no one calling the police, Penn State football marched on. And so did Sandusky for more than nine years, dealing with young, needy boys for most of them.

They just let him.

Look, if what is alleged is true, it’s important that we all see what’s happening here. A guy starts a charity to help disadvantaged boys. The guy is a football coach at a program that has been hailed as one of the few doing good things for young men, helping them to grow in the right way. They play in a town people call Happy Valley.

There is no such thing as Happy Valley.

But to protect it, no one did anything. To protect a myth. To protect a football program. We’ve got to stop treating football as a religion.

Seven counts of involuntary deviate sexual intercourse. That’s what Sandusky was charged with Saturday morning when he was arrested. Also, eight counts of corruption of minors, eight counts of endangering the welfare of a child, seven counts of indecent assault and 10 other counts.

This should be personal to all of us, whether we have children or not.

For the past several weeks, I have taken my 12-year-old son out to play basketball nearly every day. Seventh-grade hoops tryouts are Monday, and this is a crash course for a super tall, super athletic kid who hasn’t played much basketball before, but suddenly wants to now.

You know what he said to me Saturday as we walked off the court? “If I don’t make the team, can we keep doing this?’’

He is the same age as some of these boys in the Sandusky scandal. The grand jury report talks about boys hiding in the closet.

It is simple trust. That might be the most important thing our kids can feel.

And while I’m railing on Sandusky and Paterno and officials here, our thoughts need to be on those boys right now. They looked up to Sandusky. They trusted him. They are defenseless. They needed help, and Sandusky was the one to provide it.

The charity he founded was called The Second Mile. And, according to the grand jury, it was “initially devoted to helping troubled young boys.

“It was within The Second Mile program that Sandusky found his alleged victims. . . . It grew into a charity dedicated to helping children with absent or dysfunctional families.’’

Its mission? “Help children who need additional support and would benefit from positive human interaction.’’

Twelve-year-old boys today are a lot stronger and smarter than my generation was at 12. They have seen more. But they are still children. They are still fighting so many of the same old emotional uncertainties, as their minds and bodies start working their way into adulthood. They are not equipped to handle it all.

We send them off to see coaches and teachers for guitar lessons, tennis lessons, theater club.

Paterno has spent 50 years pushing an image of righteousness. If he is really about more than just football, if all these years really meant something, then Paterno would have done more than just pass the reports on to his boss and wash his hands.

It was not just football players counting on him. Victims 1 through 8 were, too.

Not sure if what they say in that timeline how I feel about Paterno. It says the next day he tells HIS higher up that an asisstant saw this behavior. They then talk to the assisstant directly.Maybe (benefit of the doubt) - Joe thought it was being handled, with the proper authorities etc.

Thats the Pro-Paterno argument - in reality though he runs that place...I dont buy that he passed it up the chain of command and knew nothing else about it...it was his former DC and friend for years...plus he let the guy hang around after with kids so if he wasnt sure what the result was he certainly should have followed up then....DA alluded to that today

Not sure if what they say in that timeline how I feel about Paterno. It says the next day he tells HIS higher up that an asisstant saw this behavior. They then talk to the assisstant directly.
Good commentary here:
Like Victim 2. A Penn State graduate assistant coach shows up at the football locker room unexpectedly, and hears slapping noises from the shower. Here’s what the report said:

“As the graduate assistant put the sneakers in his locker, he looked into the shower. He saw a naked boy, Victim 2, whose age he estimated to be ten years old, with his hands up against the wall, being subjected to anal intercourse by a naked Sandusky.’’

The assistant fled in fear and confusion. Much the same way a janitor fled after allegedly witnessing Sandusky engaged in a sexual act in the showers with a “young boy” — Victim 8, later described in the report as being “between the ages of 11 and 13.”

To read this report is to be sickened, but also to wonder why no one did anything to help.

And while the graduate assistant and janitor don’t get a pass, they were reacting to an emotional and horrifying scene.

Joe Paterno was not. Penn State athletic director Tim Curley was not. Penn State’s senior VP of finances and business Gary Schultz was not. Penn State president Graham Spanier was not.

They were acting, if the grand jury is right, in the most cool, calculating, self-preserving way. Curley and Schultz were charged with perjury and failure to report for allegedly failing to alert police when they learned of the alleged facts pertaining to Victim 2 in a meeting with the graduate assistant. And late Sunday night, the two stepped down from their positions at Penn State.

If the report is right, Paterno, leader of men for the past half century, simply called his athletic director and passed on the information of the rape his graduate assistant described to him; like telling your boss on a co-worker who is stealing staples from the supply closet.

No, Paterno, and the other school officials, did nothing to help the boys, or to help any other boys in the future.

They actually told Sandusky that he couldn’t keep bringing boys from his charity onto the Penn State campus, into the football facilities, according to the grand jury findings.

Just stop doing it here.

If that claim is true, Paterno needs to resign right now, though he is not charged with any crime. And yes, he reported it to his boss. But it’s fair to expect more from him.

What is alleged is a crime that thrives in the dark, when people are looking the other way. It is a crime with the most vulnerable and defenseless victims. So any time someone knows anything, or even suspects, it demands someone with the courage to speak up.

Or boys keep getting hurt. With no one calling the police, Penn State football marched on. And so did Sandusky for more than nine years, dealing with young, needy boys for most of them.

They just let him.

Look, if what is alleged is true, it’s important that we all see what’s happening here. A guy starts a charity to help disadvantaged boys. The guy is a football coach at a program that has been hailed as one of the few doing good things for young men, helping them to grow in the right way. They play in a town people call Happy Valley.

But to protect it, no one did anything. To protect a myth. To protect a football program. We’ve got to stop treating football as a religion.

Seven counts of involuntary deviate sexual intercourse. That’s what Sandusky was charged with Saturday morning when he was arrested. Also, eight counts of corruption of minors, eight counts of endangering the welfare of a child, seven counts of indecent assault and 10 other counts.

For the past several weeks, I have taken my 12-year-old son out to play basketball nearly every day. Seventh-grade hoops tryouts are Monday, and this is a crash course for a super tall, super athletic kid who hasn’t played much basketball before, but suddenly wants to now.

You know what he said to me Saturday as we walked off the court? “If I don’t make the team, can we keep doing this?’’

He is the same age as some of these boys in the Sandusky scandal. The grand jury report talks about boys hiding in the closet.

And while I’m railing on Sandusky and Paterno and officials here, our thoughts need to be on those boys right now. They looked up to Sandusky. They trusted him. They are defenseless. They needed help, and Sandusky was the one to provide it.

The charity he founded was called The Second Mile. And, according to the grand jury, it was “initially devoted to helping troubled young boys.

“It was within The Second Mile program that Sandusky found his alleged victims. . . . It grew into a charity dedicated to helping children with absent or dysfunctional families.’’

Its mission? “Help children who need additional support and would benefit from positive human interaction.’’

Twelve-year-old boys today are a lot stronger and smarter than my generation was at 12. They have seen more. But they are still children. They are still fighting so many of the same old emotional uncertainties, as their minds and bodies start working their way into adulthood. They are not equipped to handle it all.

We send them off to see coaches and teachers for guitar lessons, tennis lessons, theater club.

Paterno has spent 50 years pushing an image of righteousness. If he is really about more than just football, if all these years really meant something, then Paterno would have done more than just pass the reports on to his boss and wash his hands.

It was not just football players counting on him. Victims 1 through 8 were, too.
jeez I cringe every time I read more...but what the hell...GA sees a helpless kid getting raped and walks away? What a gutless action or rather inaction....any interaction could have saved that kid and possibly many others - he didnt have to be Batman or anything - just a "what the hell is going on!" - sickening all around....

maybe we can get a kevorkian to help him committ suicide, then write a note for him that says he's sorry

Good commentary here:

Just stop doing it here.

They just let him.

jeez I cringe every time I read more...but what the hell...GA sees a helpless kid getting raped and walks away? What a gutless action or rather inaction....any interaction could have saved that kid and possibly many others - he didnt have to be Batman or anything - just a "what the hell is going on!" - sickening all around....
I know. To abandon a child in need like that is unbelievable and unforgivable. If the kid was drowning in a pool would he have run away as well? Despicable behavior!!

Did Paterno share offices with Sandusky after hearing the allegations? Did they socialize on campus?

Was it common practice to have young boys showering with everyone? Forget about rapes did this not raise concerns?

Thats the Pro-Paterno argument - in reality though he runs that place...I dont buy that he passed it up the chain of command and knew nothing else about it...it was his former DC and friend for years...plus he let the guy hang around after with kids so if he wasnt sure what the result was he certainly should have followed up then....DA alluded to that today
I'd be shocked if Paterno coaches another season. He should be ####canned immediately but he'll finish out the season I presume.

I know I'm in the minority here, but honestly, I think if I were in that situation (not hypothetically, without feeling or emotional vested interest, like, in a message board) and I saw someone who was a mentor, a person who I held to some level of esteem, a person with a good reputation, who I felt was to be trusted, doing something like that, something SO out of perceived character, I might have done exactly what McQueary did. It'd be like seeing a ghost. I think my first reaction would be to step away as I'd need time to process what I saw. Then I'd seek out an authority figure. Like McQueary did. I know the knee-jerk reaction is to say "I'd have stepped in and saved that boy!" Much the same way people say that if they saw an old lady getting robbed at knife-point they'd step in...but in reality, I think there's a lot more to this decision that you can't really quantify in hypotheticals.

'timschochet said:
'tri-man 47 said:
'timschochet said:
I freely admit to being a fan of Paterno; he's always been a hero of mine
I was going to ask about this when you mentioned it earlier in the thread -- Why is he your hero? Because he coached football at the same place for a really long time? I don't view Paterno as one who has had an enduring effect on his sport (ala John Wooden). What makes him a hero? It seems to me that your hero-bar is set rather low.
For me, he's been a hero because he did remind me of Wooden. Just always seemed like a very classy guy who ran a clean program for a long time. Seemed like a good guy. I admire class and decency. Until this incident, I had always related Paterno to those attributes.
Well, now you can add protector of forced child buggerers to class and decency in your description of your hero.

I know I'm in the minority here, but honestly, I think if I were in that situation (not hypothetically, without feeling or emotional vested interest, like, in a message board) and I saw someone who was a mentor, a person who I held to some level of esteem, a person with a good reputation, who I felt was to be trusted, doing something like that, something SO out of perceived character, I might have done exactly what McQueary did. It'd be like seeing a ghost. I think my first reaction would be to step away as I'd need time to process what I saw. Then I'd seek out an authority figure. Like McQueary did. I know the knee-jerk reaction is to say "I'd have stepped in and saved that boy!" Much the same way people say that if they saw an old lady getting robbed at knife-point they'd step in...but in reality, I think there's a lot more to this decision that you can't really quantify in hypotheticals.
I could see someone not running into the showers and stopping it. But to not even pick up a phone and call the police is indefensible.

I think it's very telling a coach (or ex coach) has no problem having sex with a 10 year old at the university. You would never do that unless you felt 100% sure that if you got caught nothing would happen. That's an extreme risk to take since in most cases you would likely get caught doing that and get reported to the cops as a result. If you know you can get away with it though then there's no risk. More to this story and I think the powers that be knows what went on (and more stories will come out) and kept it quiet in fear it would tarnish their reputation.
It makes me wonder a bit if others weren't also sexually abusing the boys that Sandusky was involved with and bringing to campus.
Pedophiles are similar to serial killers...when they get caught it's never their first time. This isn't someone who cheated on his wife with another woman this is something that's hardwired that can never be cured and the only way to stop this behavior is to eliminate them. If he doesn't off himself the prison system will take care of him. This guy has had free access to hundreds of kids for decades. Sure when this first came up JoePa, etc. thought by telling him to never do it again then he would simply never do it again. When things got way out of hand with multiple acts I am sure happened they had to go into "save my ### and cover it up" mode.

'timschochet said:
'tri-man 47 said:
'timschochet said:
I was going to ask about this when you mentioned it earlier in the thread -- Why is he your hero? Because he coached football at the same place for a really long time? I don't view Paterno as one who has had an enduring effect on his sport (ala John Wooden). What makes him a hero? It seems to me that your hero-bar is set rather low.
For me, he's been a hero because he did remind me of Wooden. Just always seemed like a very classy guy who ran a clean program for a long time. Seemed like a good guy. I admire class and decency. Until this incident, I had always related Paterno to those attributes.
Well, now you can add protector of forced child buggerers to class and decency in your description of your hero.
If Paterno has any class he'd stop down immediately. Not classy to be thinking about your legacey when children are getting raped on your watch. That bell has been rung. Would be dignified to step down immediately and apologize for not doing more then the bare minimum.

not sure how any penn st alumni can goto their home games and cheer on the school with joe pa still there. any alumni care to chime in?

'timschochet said:
'tri-man 47 said:
'timschochet said:
If Paterno has any class he'd stop down immediately. Not classy to be thinking about your legacey when children are getting raped on your watch. That bell has been rung. Would be dignified to step down immediately and apologize for not doing more then the bare minimum.
If he hasnt stepped down yet he wont unless public outcry starts affecting donations

'timschochet said:
'tri-man 47 said:
'timschochet said:
If he hasnt stepped down yet he wont unless public outcry starts affecting donations
This story is just beginning. Within a couple of weeks these kids will be on televsion talking about how they were showering with grown men in Paterno's locker room.

Users who are viewing this thread