What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Latest on Culpepper (1 Viewer)

Minneapolis TV station speculated that it was Miami, but that the door is still open for Oakland.

I can't see Zona. They would have too much $ tied into the QB position. Warner and C-Pepp...even if Pepper sat out this whole year...paying them both just doesn't make sense.

Rams would be more likely with Linehan. But who would start if they got rid of Bulger as it was speculated?

I think Miami sounds like a valid option.

To my Vikings: GO GET BREES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As a dynasty Culpepper owner my top preferences where it is rumored that he could possibly land are:

#1 - Arizona (Could you imagine the numbers he could put up with Boldin & Fitz?

#2 - Oakland (Defense still sucks...Porter & Moss nice duo to chuck the rock to)

#3 - Miami - (Team is heading in the right direction and in addition to a great WR & TE to throw to......Ronnie Brown has soft hands and would be an excellent outlet for C-pep.

I don't buy the Rams rumors...no way do they deal for Culpepper.

Baltimore is where I don't want to see Culpepper go. When was the last time Baltimore had a decent passing game?
You dont think Linehan might want to work with a QB who had one of the top 5 QB seasons EVER in his system?

Not anything really new, just a breakdown over his worth

Vikings | More about potential Culpepper trade

Thu, 9 Mar 2006 20:58:31 -0800

Don Seeholzer and Sean Jensen, of the Pioneer Press, report the Minnesota Vikings would gain an additional $2.3 million in salary cap space by trading QB Daunte Culpepper. In addition, if he is traded soon, Culpepper's $6 million roster bonus would be paid by his new club. Given Culpepper's knee injury, the return on Culpepper could be minimal for the Vikings. The source said teams would not part with a first-round pick and that a conditional pick was expected. According to FOXSports.com, if the Vikings can't trade him before that bonus is due, they intend to ask him to push the date back in order to continue to work toward a trade. Pat Kirwan, a senior analyst for NFL.com, said because of Culpepper's uncertain physical status, any trade likely will involve future conditional draft choices. "This would be a sliding scale that I've run past a few general managers that are not in the market for Culpepper," Kirwan said. "The draft picks are for 2007. If you trade for the guy and he never plays, the compensation is zero. If he plays eight or less games, the compensation is a second-round pick. If he plays nine or more games, the compensation is a first-round pick. If he throws for 3,000 yards, then it's a first and a third. And if he makes the Pro Bowl next year, it's two first-round picks."

Take it for what its worth, but Bongo says Miami offered its first round pick. Minny is taking offers up to 10am. The other two suitors are Arizona and Cleveland. Oakland is out of it. Davis didn't want to give up its first pick.

He's got another hot rumor: Brees is recovering ahead of schedule and SD now wants him back and that is where he wants to be. SD is talking to Baltimore about a trade involving Rivers for McAllister.

All this talk about this Rams is spinning my head. For Pepper to go to the Rams, STL has to have a trade worked out for Bulger. The guy who would want Bulger the most would be Martz. So, Bulger would have to go to Detroit for Pepper to go to STL. That's just way too much movement.

As a Pepper dynasty owner, I'd like most for him to head to Zona or Oakland. Prob Zona.

One guy we haven't talked about going to Minny in a draft situation in the Top 10 or Top 5 is AJ Hawk, LBer. Minny desp needs some Lber talent. If they were to get him, I really like the prospects of the Minny real life and fantasy D if they can keep the guys on that side of the ball all healthy.

All this talk about this Rams is spinning my head. For Pepper to go to the Rams, STL has to have a trade worked out for Bulger. The guy who would want Bulger the most would be Martz. So, Bulger would have to go to Detroit for Pepper to go to STL. That's just way too much movement.
The speculation was that Bulger would go to Minnesota in return.

All this talk about this Rams is spinning my head. For Pepper to go to the Rams, STL has to have a trade worked out for Bulger.  The guy who would want Bulger the most would be Martz.  So, Bulger would have to go to Detroit for Pepper to go to STL. That's just way too much movement.
The speculation was that Bulger would go to Minnesota in return.
Which for the life of me, I can't figure out why that deal would make sense.

All I am essentially hearing here locally (Minnesota) is Miami and Oakland, with Miami being the team that has an offer on the table (with Oakland deciding whether they want to up the ante). Kinda interesting that Miami has two QBs coming off of serious injuries pegged as their QB1 options. I don't think the St. Louis, Detroit or Arizona rumors are based upon anything other than Madden Football or guys sitting around at the bar right now. Baltimore might be the dark-horse to keep an eye on though. Maybe the Vikings can tell them a deal is in place....then not call the league to confirm the deal while the Ravens are "on the clock" with their other roster moves...... ;) :vikingshomer:

Last edited by a moderator:
I pray that Oakland doesn't trade for Culpepper and still cuts Kerry Collins. I don't really want either one of them, unless Culpepper came cheap.

He's got another hot rumor: Brees is recovering ahead of schedule and SD now wants him back and that is where he wants to be. SD is talking to Baltimore about a trade involving Rivers for McAllister.
There is absolutely no way in hell this rumor has any validity.

wowzers.

"A source close to the situation has told Vikingsboard..."

But who the heck is Vikingsboard that they'd get the scoop?

good grief,not sure i understand this one at all. i mean if linehan could run an offense w/ gus and sage couldnt he run it "better" w/ bulger?

There is absolutely no way in hell this rumor has any validity.
Seriously. The rumors Ive read have Brees behind schedule.

The relationship between Brees and the Chargers is impossibly fractured, with Brees making several comments this past week or so that all but guarantee he won't return.

And that trade is just silly.

I just don't see how this is a good trade for either team.
I doubt thats the deal, but....how is that not a good trade for both teams?If Cpep is ready to play, he knows Linehan's system and has prospered in it. He'll help the offense get on track much earlier than it would with Bulger.

Cpep will NOT be the starting QB for Minny next year no matter what...whats wrong with getting a Pro Bowl QB for him?

Cpep will NOT be the starting QB for Minny next year no matter what...whats wrong with getting a Pro Bowl QB for him?
Because I'm already banking on BJ being the starter there for my WSL I team. :banned:

I just don't see how this is a good trade for either team.
I doubt thats the deal, but....how is that not a good trade for both teams?If Cpep is ready to play, he knows Linehan's system and has prospered in it. He'll help the offense get on track much earlier than it would with Bulger.

If Culpepper stayed in Minnesota why wouldn't he win the job over BJ? I just don't get the appeal of this deal for either team.

If Culpepper stayed in Minnesota  why wouldn't he win the job over BJ?  I just don't get the appeal of this deal for either team.
He would except for the fact that he's probably pushing 300 lbs+ on his frame and his latest injury included not just a tear to his ACL, but also his MCL and PCL as well. Expected recovery time has him coming in healthy on November 1st, 2006.I'm factoring in a slightly longer rehabilitation due to his size and the fact that mobility is key to his success. Could he recover sooner than that? Of course, but I think the team needs to assume that he won't even be able to play next year. This makes his trade worth much less obviously so the Vikes will be sending out reports about how well he is progressing in his rehab. Just take them with a grain of salt imo. If he plays in week 1, I'll eat my crow sandwich.

Profootballtalk has a rumor of it being the Rams with Bulger maybe in the mix for a trade.

I'd take that one in a heartbeat...
Saw the Rotoworld report and would lead you to believe that they have some inside info on an offer. Went to read PFT since it is mildly entertaining and they actually say:
Our guess (and it's only a guess) is that it'll be the Rams, and we predict that current starter Marc Bulger will be part of the package that gets sent to the Vikings.

If Culpepper stayed in Minnesota  why wouldn't he win the job over BJ?  I just don't get the appeal of this deal for either team.
He would except for the fact that he's probably pushing 300 lbs+ on his frame and his latest injury included not just a tear to his ACL, but also his MCL and PCL as well. Expected recovery time has him coming in healthy on November 1st, 2006.I'm factoring in a slightly longer rehabilitation due to his size and the fact that mobility is key to his success. Could he recover sooner than that? Of course, but I think the team needs to assume that he won't even be able to play next year. This makes his trade worth much less obviously so the Vikes will be sending out reports about how well he is progressing in his rehab. Just take them with a grain of salt imo. If he plays in week 1, I'll eat my crow sandwich.
If Culpepper is out this long and the Rams rumor is true. Then the Rams also need to find another viable QB for the first half of the season. This trade makes little sense.

If Culpepper is out this long and the Rams rumor is true. Then the Rams also need to find another viable QB for the first half of the season. This trade makes little sense.
Is Martin going somewhere?

Vikings not passing up Culpepper trade

By Adam Schefter

NFL Analyst

(March 9, 2006) -- The Minnesota Vikings have a deal in place to trade quarterback Daunte Culpepper, team officials confirmed Thursday. The trade is imminent, with the deal expected to go through Friday, just before the start of free agency.

Where Culpepper is going is the biggest mystery in the league. As of now, it is not Oakland. The Raiders and Vikings spoke Thursday, but Oakland is trying to gauge whether or not it wants to try to match, or beat, the other teams' offer. It will spend Thursday night mulling its decision.

Daunte Culpepper couldn't get along with the new regime in Minnesota.

But the Vikings have made it clear that they have found a suitable trade partner, with suitable compensation, and now Culpepper and the Vikings each will get their wish. They will part ways, leaving on more bitter terms than wide receiver Randy Moss left Minnesota last season.

Culpepper could not get along with new Vikings coach Brad Childress, and the quarterback has upset various members of the organization with what they feel is his immature behavior. Their relationship, by all accounts, will end Friday. But the only ones who knows where Culpepper's next relationship will resume are the Vikings and their trading partner.

Teams in need of quarterbacks include Miami, New Orleans, Detroit, the New York Jets, the Baltimore Ravens and the Oakland Raiders, who still have not released Kerry Collins, even if it has been reported that they have.

Chances are, one of those places will be Culpepper's home this season.
No mention of St. Louis here, but he appears to be speculating.

And Ferrotte will be released if Miami signs Brees and knows Linehans offense.

Stop calling the PFT-Rams comment a "rumor". They said "Our guess (and it's only a guess) is that it'll be the Rams"

This is definitely a case where I agree with the people who say this shouldn't even be posted here as a rumor. PFT is not saying they have any inside information indicating this; it's just speculation. So they should get no credit for a 'scoop' even if it should turn out to be correct, and no derision for bad information if it doesn't come true. This is no different than us on here speculating where he might be traded other than Florio having a bigger audience. But at least he told us it was a guess and not a rumor.

can you say welcome to Minny Drew Brees :P
I don't see Brees playing inside the Dome...although you would think to trade someone of CPepp's ability that you would have to know you are going to get a great QB out of the FA market. I can't see CP in Miami but he did play at UCF in Orlando if memory serves me right.
Perhaps MN is hoping to get that 1.07 from OAK... parlay that into Cutler, and let him learn a year behind Brad.

As a Culpepper dynasty owner, I'm just praying there is some truth to this rumor. Holt & K.Curtis are a big upgrade over the scrub WR's he has to throw to in Minny. Let's face it, outside of Baltimore....any place that it's rumored Culpepper might go is an improved situation fantasy wise for Dante owners. This should be a good day to check KFFL once every few hours.

Stop calling the PFT-Rams comment a "rumor". They said "Our guess (and it's only a guess) is that it'll be the Rams"

This is definitely a case where I agree with the people who say this shouldn't even be posted here as a rumor.
I agree with everything you said there, except the part about "it shouldn't be posted here." We speculate, other sites speculate, other sports people speculate. Speculate = guess. We post a lot of that stuff, so why exclude PFT or anyone from it? Yes, it should be labeled "guess", but it should still be posted. Perhaps that's what you meant and I didn't understand.

PFT is not saying they have any inside information indicating this; it's just speculation. So they should get no credit for a 'scoop' even if it should turn out to be correct, and no derision for bad information if it doesn't come true. This is no different than us on here speculating where he might be traded other than Florio having a bigger audience. But at least he told us it was a guess and not a rumor.
I agree with all of that.

I'd like to throw out my uninformed, no basis in reality guess.

What if the Vikings strong armed the Dolphins saying "look, we have more money than you to throw at Brees and if you don't want to work something out for C-pep you gonna be sucking air come Sept. We will be sitting pretty with Brees and C-pep playing for your AFC rival (Oakland)". Offer up!

This is definitely a case where I agree with the people who say this shouldn't even be posted here as a rumor.
I agree with everything you said there, except the part about "it shouldn't be posted here." We speculate, other sites speculate, other sports people speculate. Speculate = guess. We post a lot of that stuff, so why exclude PFT or anyone from it? Yes, it should be labeled "guess", but it should still be posted. Perhaps that's what you meant and I didn't understand.
PFT is not saying they have any inside information indicating this; it's just speculation. So they should get no credit for a 'scoop' even if it should turn out to be correct, and no derision for bad information if it doesn't come true. This is no different than us on here speculating where he might be traded other than Florio having a bigger audience. But at least he told us it was a guess and not a rumor.
and the great PFT debate begins again! :wall:

Good point... I overreacted. I guess it would be clearer that if people posted stuff like this, they labeled it clearly as a guess, rather than a rumor. PFT gets too much stuff right that they never get credit for from some people around here. I hate to see something they clearly label as a guess posted out here as one of their "rumors" that may be proven wrong, thus giving the haters more fodder.

Good point... I overreacted. I guess it would be clearer that if people posted stuff like this, they labeled it clearly as a guess, rather than a rumor. PFT gets too much stuff right that they never get credit for from some people around here. I hate to see something they clearly label as a guess posted out here as one of their "rumors" that may be proven wrong, thus giving the haters more fodder.
Can we please shelve our love and/or hate for PFT and try not to discuss it anytime they GUESS at something or post a RUMOR or whatever else. IT has gotten REALLY old.

I'd like to throw out my uninformed, no basis in reality guess.

What if the Vikings strong armed the Dolphins saying "look, we have more money than you to throw at Brees and if you don't want to work something out for C-pep you gonna be sucking air come Sept. We will be sitting pretty with Brees and C-pep playing for your AFC rival (Oakland)". Offer up!
I don't get the impression Saban would go for that, I think he would say fine and just go back to looking at drafting his QB.

As an Bulger/Holt/Curtis, Dynasty owner, this is bad for the 2006 season and makes no since for the Rams. :wall:

As an Bulger/Holt/Curtis, Dynasty owner, this is bad for the 2006 season and makes no since for the Rams. :wall:
Agreed. A Holt owner here and would rather have Bulger throwing him the rock.

Users who are viewing this thread