What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**Official Bengals Offseason thread 09** (1 Viewer)

NorrisB

Footballguy
Does Housh come back?

What do we do about the center position?

Is Levi Jones done as a Bengal?

How is Palmers arm?

will we go offense with the first rounder?

Will Benson be back?

Who dey!

Last edited by a moderator:
Does Housh come back? no

What do we do about the center position? Pray Mack makes it to th 38th spot in the draft.

Is Levi Jones done as a Bengal? yes

How is Palmers arm? It will be fine

will we go offense with the first rounder? If Oher, Smith or Crabtree drop to 6.

Will Benson be back? yes

This could be the lamest thing in the nfl. You should get rid of it this offseason.
What is it even referring to? :thumbup:
Beer.As for the OP...Does Housh come back? NoWhat do we do about the center position? Really have no idea, but agreed that its a desperate situation that needs adressed.Is Levi Jones done as a Bengal? YesHow is Palmers arm? Finewill we go offense with the first rounder? Yes, a LT or Crabtree will make itWill Benson be back? Definitely

I am not sure they can part ways with Levi Jones. While the o-line has been abysmal, he was not completely at fault. They should try to keep him IMHO.

I didn't watch a bunch of bengal games this year but it really seems as if their defense has finally turned the corner. How do the Bengal homers feel about the defense going forward?

To me, it seems as if they've solidified their defense, they can get Palmer back and address their line, they may be a candidate for a turnaround in '09. I've got Palmer on my radar for next year so I'll be watching the Bengals offseason closely.

I didn't watch a bunch of bengal games this year but it really seems as if their defense has finally turned the corner. How do the Bengal homers feel about the defense going forward? To me, it seems as if they've solidified their defense, they can get Palmer back and address their line, they may be a candidate for a turnaround in '09. I've got Palmer on my radar for next year so I'll be watching the Bengals offseason closely.
The corners are great. One of the best pairs in the league when Joseph is healthy IMO. This makes the rest of the defense look pretty good as long as the other team actually needs to pass sometimes. The defensive line was hit and miss even though they clearly ended well. The safeties (specifically Ndukwe) should make a lot more plays next year as they seem to have limited responsibilities (in part due to the corners) and are getting better. I still think our linebackers miss a lot of tackles on the good running backs. We have some good Bengals homers on this board that can get more specific.

Ugh. I almost don't care any more.

Priorities

1 Improve the pass rush.

2 Improve the offensive line -- particulary center and tackle.

3 Make smart decisions about the offensive skill players (Housh, Benson, Henry) and coordinator.

Wildcards

1 Carson's health

2 Marvin and the locker room

3 Ocho Cinco

4 MLB presence

There's absolutely nothing in the past 20 years, including the nice 2005 season that would lead you to believe any of those things will be smartly handled.

With regard to NorrisB's post...

I would think Housh really doesn't want to be franchised. This is his chance at a big pay day and he's never been the healthiest player. Muscle strains, back problems, etc. I think he takes a big risk by chancing the Bengals franchising him. On the other hand, he's tough and I don't know that he'll take the Bengals lowballing him after all he's been through here. And what do you do if you're the Bengals? Big money for a WR on the wrong side of 30 who may be breaking down when you've got at least two other viable receivers? Let the most consistent offensive player you have walk and keep two huge question marks at his position? Tough call.

Center? Haven't looked at the free agent lists, but something has to be done here. Ghiaciuc can't handle the bigger defensive tackles in the AFCN and the team knew it at the end of 2007. Makes the Steinbach-Smith-Jones-Anderson decisions look worse every year.

Levi Jones? He's done as a Bengal -- checked out this season and hasn't been productive in over two years -- but his contract looms large. Have to hope a stud offensive tackle slips to six and that Anthony Collins progresses this offseason. Winning those last three games may put a huge dent in the ability to improve the tackle position.

The situation with Palmer's arm is a complete joke. You've got a ligament that could require surgery. Your team is going nowhere. Recovery after surgery isn't a lock, but the odds are strongly on your side. So you screw around all season, get an MRI three months later that determines your fate and introduces the possibility that you'll go another entire offseason without throwing to your WR -- many of whom could be new (again) -- if you do need surgery. It better be fine or the crack in the window is definitively closed with this group.

Benson should be back, hopefully at a reasonable price, with a RB drafted in the middle rounds to back him up and carry the load in the future. I've no confidence that any of those things will happen. I expect Brown to overpay to keep Benson, watch him return to mediocrity, screw up the draft pick or not take a back at all.

Does Housh come back? Not if he gets any kind of decent offer (Indy?)

What do we do about the center position? Best available in round 2

Is Levi Jones done as a Bengal? Depends on how his back heals. Stacy Andrews tore his ACL, so they're going to be thin even if they use the 1st rounder on an OT.

How is Palmers arm? Won't know 'til training camp. Obviously, if it's shot, so is 2009 and probably longer.

will we go offense with the first rounder? OT, yes. Anything else would be crazy typical Bengals.

Will Benson be back? I'd say he's proven himself. They've got to make gambles at some positions.

Who dey!

I didn't watch a bunch of bengal games this year but it really seems as if their defense has finally turned the corner. How do the Bengal homers feel about the defense going forward? To me, it seems as if they've solidified their defense, they can get Palmer back and address their line, they may be a candidate for a turnaround in '09. I've got Palmer on my radar for next year so I'll be watching the Bengals offseason closely.
The D started to look really good, and only half of it was on the field. Geathers, Joseph, Rivers, and White were all out. I think Zimmer might be for real. Sims was getting better towards the end of the year, so they might be ok at DT. I'm not sure about Odoms, but I don't think they will do anything about it this year. Dahani did well but they need to draft his replacement. I'd like to see them resign Crocker... he was a nice spark.

The corners and defensive tackle rotation are going in a very good direction. The young safeties got enough playing time to hope for a very good secondary next season.The linebacker situation is okay, but there's not a playmaker in the bunch. A presence in the middle would be very nice, as would some consistent tackling. The pass rush is non-existent and continues to expose the team on third down and keep the corners from making big plays.And there's very little depth anywhere.It was encouraging to see the improvement on third down late in the season and the trend of no longer giving up big plays. The defensive personnel and coordinator are pretty good right now. A consistent pass rush and MLB presence would be huge additions.

The corners are great. One of the best pairs in the league when Joseph is healthy IMO. This makes the rest of the defense look pretty good as long as the other team actually needs to pass sometimes. The defensive line was hit and miss even though they clearly ended well. The safeties (specifically Ndukwe) should make a lot more plays next year as they seem to have limited responsibilities (in part due to the corners) and are getting better. I still think our linebackers miss a lot of tackles on the good running backs. We have some good Bengals homers on this board that can get more specific.
Ya, just looking strictly at the numbers they seem to have made a big jump in pass defense from 26th to 15th. Their run defense has stayed the same year on year. What's impressive though is that the defense made improvements while the normally strong offense tanked. I'd imagine if their offense could return to close to what it was their defense should improve due to less time on the field and the ability to play more one dimensional when they have a lead (which they didn't have very often this year). I'm not as sold as some are on Benson. He played pretty well and definitely better than expected but I view him as a stop gap and not part of a longer term solution. IMO I see him as a 50-50 starter next year and wouldn't be surprised if he stayed or was replaced by a FA or if they drafted someone.

I really like Rey Maualuga, he's had an off the field incident, and his style reminds me a little but of Odell Thurman in that he overpursues sometimes. However the guy is 265 LBs and runs side line to side line like an animal. The guy is one mean mofo, and hits like a truck, he brings much needed meanness to a Bengals defense that lacks an identity. He will be very coveted once the combine is over, and jump to a Patrick Willis like stature.

Anthony Collins looks like he'll be a solid OT, the question is RT, which we could move Whitworth there, and take a G and a C later in the draft.

Anyone hear anything about Brat?

Too much to ask for Marvin to get canned?

so far so good, but I'll feel better if we get Caldwell at pick #6 of round 3. Kinda funny that they did the surprise weight inspection on Andre 2 days ago (he was only about 7 pounds over his playing weight so that's encouraging).

Things I hope to see on day 2:

Caldwell with the 6th pick of round 3.

Crazy as it sounds if they have to draft Huber in round 5 I say do it - the kid's got a cannon for a leg.

A fullback at the top of round 6.

Should be able to get a decent RB and DE at the end of 3 and in early round 4.

Let's cross our fingers.

Who Dey!

-QG

3.6 Michael Johnson DE

3.(comp) Luigs/Caldwell C

4.6. Nelson/Coffman/Cook/Casey TE

then

OT

CB

G

DE

RB

P

3.6 Michael Johnson DE3.(comp) Luigs/Caldwell C4.6. Nelson/Coffman/Cook/Casey TEthen OTCBGDERBP
if we go P last there won't be one worth taking there. Huber's the only guy that jumps out as draft-worthy.Btw, I predict either:1) we take him at 5.06or2) he's gone when it rolls around at 6.06just a feeling-QG

Btw, I think you might be right Norris. either Johnson or else the DE from SJ State are very likely picks there. But I still want a center :lmao:

Well ML said he's high on Cook and Santucci so if worse comes to worse we can just go with them but I think one of Caldwell, Luigs or Shipley will be fine. Finding a 10 sack pass rusher later in the draft will be alot harder, no pass rush at all last season and Geathers is coming off micro fracture surgery.

Best 1st day I could ask for as a fan. The rest of the draft is just icing. I would love to have either Johnson or Shonn Green next pick. Caldwell might be there at the end of the round. What's with the punter talk? Did we not just get Plackemeyer?

My top three for this next pick are Michael Johnson, Lawrence Sidbury, D.J. Moore. I :goodposting: Caldwell, but I don't think you just draft for need at the beginning of day 2.... you have to grab a guy that fell.

Would have rather seen Eugene Monroe at 1.6, but I knew Marvin was fixated on Smith.

Big :tinfoilhat: up to this point.

I love the "best player available" draft strategy. As a Bengal fan, I've never seen this employed before.

This is the kind of crap that will get me to root for this team again. :wall:
:wall: As a tortured fan I'm glad to see they haven't Bungled this draft up. But these guys haven't put on the stripes yet....we'll see which one's they choose.
I feel like Michael Corleone over here. A friend just woke me up, though. Told me that Mikey Brown was about to give me a kiss on the cheek and end it for good.So....how about this.Andre Smith is a head case that can't hack it outside Alabama. They'll use him at LT and destroy him.Rey Maualuga will never be a viable every down MLB.Michael Johnson will have fewer sacks than Reinard Wilson.Chase Coffman can't play because he can't block for Carson.And Luigs, despite being smarter and able to make the line calls, will still get tossed around like Ghiaciuc.I mean, that's how it's gonna go, right? RIGHT? :lmao:

:lmao: As a tortured fan I'm glad to see they haven't Bungled this draft up. But these guys haven't put on the stripes yet....we'll see which one's they choose.
I feel like Michael Corleone over here. A friend just woke me up, though. Told me that Mikey Brown was about to give me a kiss on the cheek and end it for good.So....how about this.Andre Smith is a head case that can't hack it outside Alabama. They'll use him at LT and destroy him.Rey Maualuga will never be a viable every down MLB.Michael Johnson will have fewer sacks than Reinard Wilson.Chase Coffman can't play because he can't block for Carson.And Luigs, despite being smarter and able to make the line calls, will still get tossed around like Ghiaciuc.I mean, that's how it's gonna go, right? RIGHT? :rolleyes:
:angry: None of that 'reality' stuff in here. Ask the nurse for a large Kool-aid and relax. :banned:

:lmao: As a tortured fan I'm glad to see they haven't Bungled this draft up. But these guys haven't put on the stripes yet....we'll see which one's they choose.
I feel like Michael Corleone over here. A friend just woke me up, though. Told me that Mikey Brown was about to give me a kiss on the cheek and end it for good.So....how about this.Andre Smith is a head case that can't hack it outside Alabama. They'll use him at LT and destroy him.Rey Maualuga will never be a viable every down MLB.Michael Johnson will have fewer sacks than Reinard Wilson.Chase Coffman can't play because he can't block for Carson.And Luigs, despite being smarter and able to make the line calls, will still get tossed around like Ghiaciuc.I mean, that's how it's gonna go, right? RIGHT? :unsure:
:angry: None of that 'reality' stuff in here. Ask the nurse for a large Kool-aid and relax. :banned:
Done. :hifive:

Jon Gruden on NFL Network: "Maualuga will be the NFL rookie of the year, and the leader of that defense. He will absolutely smash you! I'm gonna go buy me one of those Bengals jersey's."

Users who are viewing this thread