What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Your attitudes toward gays and gay rights (1 Viewer)

Which best describes your attitudes toward gay people and gay rights?

• Homosexuality is disgusting and an abomination. I consider myself a practicing member of a religious

Votes: 14 3.4%
  • Homosexuality is disgusting and an abomination. I am not very religious, just feel strongly that bei

Votes: 12 2.9%
  • Homosexuality is not natural and possibly "wrong", but it is important that we allow equal

Votes: 35 8.5%
  • Gays are fine I guess, but I'm tired of hearing about them all the time.

Votes: 68 16.5%
  • I was raised at a time when gays were ridiculed, and I once went along with that attitude, but now I

Votes: 137 33.2%
  • I am straight, but have always proudly supported gay rights regardless of the prevailing public opin

Votes: 136 32.9%
  • I am gay and have always proudly supported gay rights regardless of the prevailing public opinion.

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • I am openly gay but not particularly vocal about gay rights.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am a closeted homosexual who goes around saying gays are disgusting, despite my own penchant for c

Votes: 10 2.4%

• Total voters

McGarnicle

Footballguy
Thought this would be an interesting spinoff of the Rodgers and Kluwe topics.

When I was a kid, the word f****t was used on Saturday Night Live and in pop music. We used it at school to tease kids who were different. It wasn't spoken of very often, but it was understood that those people were deviants. Pretty remarkable when you consider how far we've come in a couple of generations. Or backward, depending on your point of view.

I'm 42. Old attitudes die hard, but when I hear of kids in high school killing themselves or try to imagine what it would be like to be disowned by my entire family, it makes me rethink things. I would be interested to read what drives your views on the issue and how your views have changed or not changed over the years.

I realize some of the pole choices may overlap so pick the one that most closely represents how you feel.

I chose straight but supportive, but proudly supportive is a bit much. I have never marched or anything like that. I did not boycott Chick Fil-A. I don't rail on everything perceived to be homophobic.

But I do not give two ####s what anyone does in their bedroom unless I am invited.

Let's assume that "proudly" supportive means you would express your support in a conversation with close friends or family. You don't necessarily write letters or march in parades, but you are known to be tolerant on the issue.

I've had gay and lesbian friends and mentors my whole life, which is actually (admittedly) strange for someone in the "born before AIDS was discovered" bracket.

Always been an ally.

Let's assume that "proudly" supportive means you would express your support in a conversation with close friends or family. You don't necessarily write letters or march in parades, but you are known to be tolerant on the issue.
OK, loud and proud then.

Maybe there are some really mean gays and lezbos out there but all the ones I've ever met have been generally cool as ####. Just wondering how people get so opposed to something so innocuous.

The only people left are the elderly, who always felt that should stay in the closet, and younger people whose experiences in the world are very limited. Some people just need to keep things in this little box and act like the rest of the world either isn't there or is made up of attributes from their own imaginations. But once you meet somebody who is gay, you're generally snapped into reality on the subject. People are people. The judgment on those kinds of grounds is very ugly and makes one look like they have Spam for brains.

I voted "straight but proudly supported" because I didn't grow up where gays were ridiculed. It was more about using gay slurs as a means to describe other kids who weren't being tough or were just weaker...it wasn't as much about accusing them of being gay, but a way to mock people. Growing up, I never had a problem with the idea of people being gay but it weirded me out a bit...if you asked me, I'd probably say it was gross and that I didn't understand why guys would be into other guys.

That probably lasted until I was about 16-17. Then I grew up and realized how ridiculously stupid such an idea is. I fully support same sex marriage and equal rights.

OK, loud and proud then.

Maybe there are some really mean gays and lezbos out there but all the ones I've ever met have been generally cool as ####. Just wondering how people get so opposed to something so innocuous.
People go to great lengths to oppose all kinds of stupid ####.

OK, loud and proud then.

The part of this I find interesting is which camp the anti-gay people fall in -- devoutly religious types, secretly self-hating closeted gay, or simply grew up hearing it was wrong and still feel that way. I was in the third category. Do a lot of people still hold anti-gay views simply because that's the world they've always lived in and not for religious reasons?

I've had gay and lesbian friends and mentors my whole life, which is actually (admittedly) strange for someone in the "born before AIDS was discovered" bracket.

Always been an ally.
Ford always has had a better idea.
I've always found it fascinating that people would be horrible to a bunch of strangers just begging to be treated like regular people. Like - when aliens descend and start killing us, and it's you standing next to a drag queen who impersonates Tina Turner, do you want Tina trying to save your life because you're the one guy who's always been nice, or pushing you back to get ahead of you and let you die?

The ally part is entirely self-serving, obviously.

Straight and don't care. I have nothing against gays mostly because I think people should be free to live how they want to live as long as they aren't hurting anyone.

Should've made this pole public so we could see who the bigots hiding behind their bibles are.

I'll always support equality of any kind, whether it be by sexuality, race, gender, whatever. I find any alternative to be disgusting, frankly.

I found this kind of hard to answer. I probably participated in some teasing in high school that I wouldn't be proud of. But by the time I was 16, I had pissed off my grandmother by telling her that I didn't understand why gays wouldn't be allowed to be married (and by laughing when she quoted the Bible). In college, I had a suite mate who pretty much terrorized a resident who was both effeminate and saddled with the unfortunate name of Michael Hunt. It took me a while to stand up for that kid, but I eventually did.

But I probably didn't become particularly resolved on the issue until I knew gay people. Which would have been late in college and then later when I got married because my wife had several close gay friends. I'm not sure they really wanted to get married, but it just seemed weird to tell them they couldn't.

The one thing that pisses me off about gays is every time you see 2 guys on House Hunters, those #######s have like a 2mil budget.

In NYC I see thee gays everywhere - subways, restaurants, gym locker rooms, gay clubs, etc... Openly supportive, pretty hard not to be in the city. Doesn't bother me one bit, although if I see two men kiss it does make my stomach turn a little, but I keep it to myself.

I have close family members that are gay. My ex-GF's brother is gay so I spent a lot of time around them. Went to gay bars, gay beaches, gay hotels, gay quilting parties... the works. I currently live in a predominantly gay neighborhood. Nothing but love for the gays.

I think most people are afraid that a gay guy will try to put his wang up your butt any time you bend over. They're right.

I was raised to treat everyone equally, and it seemed logical that gay people were included as "everyone." I probably used "gay" as an insult until I was 15 or 16 and I realized how hurtful that was to people who actually were gay. And in my experience, gay people have generally been bullied and mistreated far more than your average person, and as a result, they are usually very friendly and accepting, and some of the most loyal friends you could want.

Gay rights is the civil rights issue of our era.

There are obviously two camps: gay is a choice and gay is genetic/inborn

Gay is a choice camp can't understand why this would be considered a civil right because being gay is something you chose and should not be a protected class.

Gay is inborn/genetic camp can't understand why civil rights should denied to this class of people.

I voted for the sixth option, but I'm really in between the fifth and sixth options.

I grew up in a time when gays were looked down upon. I've never ridiculed a gay person directly, but I've ridiculed straight people by calling them gay, which is sort of an indirect way of ridiculing gay people, I suppose.

In high school, I thought being gay was wrong because the Bible said so. There were a few openly gay students in my high school, and I thought well of them. They seemed like good people at the time -- even though one of them later went on quite the killing spree. (The others, as far as I know, still seem like good people.) But I thought they should probably stop being gay if they could, on account of the Bible.

I don't think I knew any openly gay people in college. I can't think of any. I do remember that I thought it was cool that the student LGBT club was allowed to exist just like any other club, despite pressure from alumni, and that a number of priests on campus supported the club. I don't remember whether I still felt that being gay was wrong; but either way, I didn't think it was so wrong that people shouldn't be able to start a club about it.

In law school I met more gay people and they were all perfectly cool. It's probably around then that I came around on full legal equality, including marriage equality.

"Growing up I was the only straight guy in an all-gay high school. All the guys would taunt me and yell out things like 'Hey Zack! Where are you going? To get some #####?'"

I've cornholed WetDream. WTF do I care?

Though gay people wanting to get married seems an awful lot like women who want "the right" to box or play football or get kicked in the nuts repeatedly.

Chose grew up in a time but have changed - but more accurately (since I'm relatively young) a grew up in a particular setting, that is attending Catholic school and being heavily involved in Catholicism, that initially led me to have the opinion they were sinners and were going to Hell (abomination is a bit strong). By the end of college (I actually attended a Catholic college but the profs there were great at displaying all viewpoints) I wasn't so sure (thanks to reading Jefferson's famous line of "it neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg") and in law school I pretty quickly did a complete 180. Now fully support equal rights for homosexuals and think their sexual preferences aren't "choices" but instead natural.

ETA: Or what Maurile said. My path was pretty much the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
"The other night I went into a gay bar. It was ridiculous. There were fifteen guys for every guy." -- Rodney Dangerfield

Gay marriage - I could not care less about the marriage equality thing. Who cares what makes up a couple? I don't see why normal heterosexual roommates don't get "married" more often for the financial benefits alone. Marriage is just a legal piece of paper. All people are equal as humans.

Gay friends - I have several friends that are gay that are cool, funny, fun, etc. I have no issues with them as friends at all. I don't think twice when we are at lunch or at bars, ball games,wherever, normal hanging out. Several are ### #### drama queens, but that's not surprising.

Gay sex - I do find man to man contact, kissing, etc disgusting and the thought of gay man sex makes me want to take a vomit, but hey, it's not me who's doing it so if they like it, go ahead.

When i was in college, one of our group of friends came out of the closet while we were at TGIF. We were all in shock at first. Then we ridiculed him endlessly and he was a good sport about it. Them we all stopped talking to him.

When i look back at it, i think we were horrible and regret that decision to this day. I chose option5

I find biology disgusting. So I suppose I find gay sex disgusting in the abstract. But no more disgusting than any other biological function (including hetero sex).

would love to hear from the 5 people so far who voted for option 1 and 2. :popcorn:
Why would they do that? After the first few posts it was clear this thread was going to be hostile to them. In fact, The first words out of your (virtual) mouth was calling people all kinds of names for not supporting your position. You're not interested in hearing from the "other side". You're interested in bashing others and their opinions that don't correlate with yours.

would love to hear from the 5 people so far who voted for option 1 and 2. :popcorn:
Why would they do that? After the first few posts it was clear this thread was going to be hostile to them. In fact, The first words out of your (virtual) mouth was calling people all kinds of names for not supporting your position. You're not interested in hearing from the "other side". You're interested in bashing others and their opinions that don't correlate with yours.
You are correct in that I don't think highly of people who support discrimination against gays (or any minorities). I wasn't calling people all kinds of names, just bigots which pretty much describes options 1 and 2 anyway.

That said, I would honestly love to hear the rationale behind their beliefs, particularly if the basis of their rationale isn't the bible or their religion. I promise not to bash anyone (too harshly anyway).

Users who are viewing this thread