What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bills moving to L.A.? (1 Viewer)

Autumn Wind

Footballguy
On yesterday's CBS pregame show, Charlie Casserley made an offhand comment I found rather disturbing. He suggested that once the Ralph Wilson era is over in Buffalo (read: he dies), the team is a prime candidate for relocation to Los Angeles.

I can see why this might make sense from an NFL business perspective, but as a football fan I think this would be extraordinarily lame. Any Bills fans hear rumblings like this?

There was a good thread here late last week about Toronto making overtures at the Bills. The idea was similar -- the Bills become "at-risk" once the team passes from Wilson's family (is that a foregone conclusion?).

I think the chargers are much more likely to shuffle up the coast, especially since they have been trying to get a new stadium and the city has been less than accepting, plus SD can get negoiate with other cities as for Jan 1.

There have been rumblings like this for years. There is also a chance that they move to Toronto, as they are currently in talks to sign a deal to play 8 games over the next 5 years in Toronto.

I also heard a rumour a while back that a group led by Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas was interested in buying the team, that would keep them in Buffalo for sure.

I think the chargers are much more likely to shuffle up the coast, especially since they have been trying to get a new stadium and the city has been less than accepting, plus SD can get negoiate with other cities as for Jan 1.
Not to mention bankrupt. The city that is.It's long been my contention that AJ Smith has been under orders from the Spanoses to drive the team into the ground and alienate the fans so they can move. They already moved their off season training ficility up here to Carson. Chargers are a close second to the Seahawks for me and I lived in SD for 10 years. I love the Chargers and would love to have a team in LA, but not the Chargers. They belong in SD and I don't know if I could be a fan. LA fans are crazy.

As a Bills fan living in Western NY I don't want to believe that this could happen and my gut reaction is to get offended when the media perpetuates the idea that the Bills would move. That said, there aren't too many viable scenarios where the Bills would be able to remain here. Their best hope is that they are purchased by billionaire Tom Golisano who currently owns the Sabres. I'm not putting too much stock in the Kelly/Thomas scenario because they would need to attract MAJOR investors that would also need to believe football can be profitable in the region. Anybody who thinks that a few ex-Bills are going to walk in and plunk down the kind of cash it takes to own an NFL franchise is seriously kidding themselves.

I don't want to believe that the Bills could leave NY, but if a city like Cleveland can lose the Browns, then anything is possible.

Doug B said:
There was a good thread here late last week about Toronto making overtures at the Bills. The idea was similar -- the Bills become "at-risk" once the team passes from Wilson's family (is that a foregone conclusion?).
The only way the Bills stay in Buffalo after Wilson passes is if Jacobs buys the team. He is strong in Buffalo business (owner of Delaware North Companies) and has expressed interest in the team previously.I believe you will see an ownership group in Buffalo express interest in the team when Wilson passes. I don't believe his kids can afford to keep the team.

billrob said:
There have been rumblings like this for years. There is also a chance that they move to Toronto, as they are currently in talks to sign a deal to play 8 games over the next 5 years in Toronto.I also heard a rumour a while back that a group led by Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas was interested in buying the team, that would keep them in Buffalo for sure.
Kelly lives in Buffalo, and Thomas just moved there. I believe Kelly on his own has enough money to do it, and he is very involved politically in Buffalo, so he could draw some investors if he doesn't. The most likely scenario IMO is Kelly, Thomas, and someone like Jeremy Jacobs or Tom Golisano - local business owners with an interest in the city.

mad sweeney said:
bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
Not to mention bankrupt. The city that is.It's long been my contention that AJ Smith has been under orders from the Spanoses to drive the team into the ground and alienate the fans so they can move. They already moved their off season training ficility up here to Carson.

Chargers are a close second to the Seahawks for me and I lived in SD for 10 years. I love the Chargers and would love to have a team in LA, but not the Chargers. They belong in SD and I don't know if I could be a fan. LA fans are crazy.
They moved it back to SD the past two seasons.

Autumn Wind said:
mad sweeney said:
I love the Chargers and would love to have a team in LA, but not the Chargers. They belong in SD and I don't know if I could be a fan. LA fans are crazy.
I know it was only for one season, but you know that the Chargers started in LA right?
The Redskins started in Boston, but that doesn't mean they "belong" there after all of this time. The most you can say is that his comments are ironic. The problem with LA isn't that teams don't generally want to be here, it's that it's the rare city that isn't tripping all over itself to accommodate a prospective NFL team by ponying up huge public dollars to renovate an old stadium or to build a brand new one. As a LA local, I'm very happy about that. The NFL needs LA more than LA needs the NFL. Let the NFL spend the money if it wants a team here - God knows the NFL has the money to invest if it wants to.

billrob said:
There have been rumblings like this for years. There is also a chance that they move to Toronto, as they are currently in talks to sign a deal to play 8 games over the next 5 years in Toronto.I also heard a rumour a while back that a group led by Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas was interested in buying the team, that would keep them in Buffalo for sure.
Kelly lives in Buffalo, and Thomas just moved there. I believe Kelly on his own has enough money to do it, and he is very involved politically in Buffalo, so he could draw some investors if he doesn't. The most likely scenario IMO is Kelly, Thomas, and someone like Jeremy Jacobs or Tom Golisano - local business owners with an interest in the city.
You're smoking some serious ##### if you think Kelly has enough weatlh to be the lead player in a deal to purchase a team worth $750 million.Since he played before salaries excalated throught the stratophere, where do you think he acquired this vast forture?

billrob said:
You're smoking some serious ##### if you think Kelly has enough weatlh to be the lead player in a deal to purchase a team worth $750 million.Since he played before salaries excalated throught the stratophere, where do you think he acquired this vast forture?
What would be interesting is to see if you can make it a municipally owned corp, like Green Bay, or some similar arrangement. The Bills seem to have enough of a local following to make that work. The nice result of that is that such teams of course don't move elsewhere.

When Ralph Wilson dies, the team will likely move to either Toronto or Los Angeles. I lay the blame on Wilson: he REFUSES to name a successor or sell the team while still alive. If he did either, he could ensure that the Bills would stay in Buffalo.

Blame Ralph.

Last edited by a moderator:
billrob said:
You're right, Kelly probably does not have that in his bank account. But most buyers don't have it in their bank account either. They do however have enough trust from investors that they can get the money without sharing control of the team. Kelly has a ton of ties, and I believe he could raise the money on his own without an "investor" in the sense of a group that puts money into something for a share of it.Kelly has made money outside of his NFL contracts. He's made numerous investments himself, he's had a number of advertising contracts, etc. But I doubt it equals 750 million.I do like the classiness of your response. :cry:

mad sweeney said:
Not to mention bankrupt. The city that is.It's long been my contention that AJ Smith has been under orders from the Spanoses to drive the team into the ground and alienate the fans so they can move. They already moved their off season training ficility up here to Carson.

Chargers are a close second to the Seahawks for me and I lived in SD for 10 years. I love the Chargers and would love to have a team in LA, but not the Chargers. They belong in SD and I don't know if I could be a fan. LA fans are crazy.
I did not know that. Where?

When Ralph Wilson dies, the team will likely move to either Toronto or Los Angeles. I lay the blame on Wilson: he REFUSES to name a successor or sell the team while still alive. If he did either, he could ensure that the Bills would stay in Buffalo. Blame Ralph.
Totally true.....I am still holding out hope that we can put together a group to keep them here.....too many obscenely loyal fans to let them go without a fight......only wish we had the $ to ensure it..... :whoosh:

billrob said:
You're right, Kelly probably does not have that in his bank account. But most buyers don't have it in their bank account either. They do however have enough trust from investors that they can get the money without sharing control of the team. Kelly has a ton of ties, and I believe he could raise the money on his own without an "investor" in the sense of a group that puts money into something for a share of it.Kelly has made money outside of his NFL contracts. He's made numerous investments himself, he's had a number of advertising contracts, etc. But I doubt it equals 750 million.I do like the classiness of your response. :goodposting:
Plus just because Kelly may be "leading" the group, it doesn't mean he's the primary investor. Obie Won was very unlightside of the force there

When Ralph Wilson dies, the team will likely move to either Toronto or Los Angeles. I lay the blame on Wilson: he REFUSES to name a successor or sell the team while still alive. If he did either, he could ensure that the Bills would stay in Buffalo. Blame Ralph.
Totally true.....I am still holding out hope that we can put together a group to keep them here.....too many obscenely loyal fans to let them go without a fight......only wish we had the $ to ensure it..... :sarcasm:
Weekend at Ralphie's, and he hosts a sale?

i wonder what happens to my season tix? will i get 1st crack at LA seats? LA tix would be a nice investment... :goodposting:

Buffalo will move to to Toronto once Ralph Wilson dies. He has run the team into the ground, the game has passed him by as an owner, and the franchise will be better off once they are sold and moved.

It will be a shame for everyone in Buffalo when they have to travel to Toronto to watch a game, but it will be better for the NFL. The NFL is trying to reach out more on a global scale with games in London and Mexico over the past two years.

Too bad Buffalo couldn't cut the mustard in the early 90s and win a Super Bowl. The Buffalo Bills will forever be known as the team that couldn't win the big game.

Kindly

BIGG Johnny

Autumn Wind said:
mad sweeney said:
I love the Chargers and would love to have a team in LA, but not the Chargers. They belong in SD and I don't know if I could be a fan. LA fans are crazy.
I know it was only for one season, but you know that the Chargers started in LA right?
The Redskins started in Boston, but that doesn't mean they "belong" there after all of this time. The most you can say is that his comments are ironic. The problem with LA isn't that teams don't generally want to be here, it's that it's the rare city that isn't tripping all over itself to accommodate a prospective NFL team by ponying up huge public dollars to renovate an old stadium or to build a brand new one. As a LA local, I'm very happy about that. The NFL needs LA more than LA needs the NFL. Let the NFL spend the money if it wants a team here - God knows the NFL has the money to invest if it wants to.
Do you think the NFL wants a team in LA when it can use LA to coerse a new stadium out of the city the team is already in? No way! LA means more to the NFL w/o a team then it does with a team.
Sweet -- now Lee Evans can suck in Anaheim!
well, it would have to be the Los Angeles Bills of Anahein so he could suck in both LA and the OC at the same time!

mad sweeney said:

Chargers Park. I was disappointed since I was able to see them in Carson the first three years I lived in LA. Great times, including getting to talk to Gates for quite awhile before the 2004 season when not many people were interested in him (he was hyped here though).

mad sweeney said:

Chargers Park. I was disappointed since I was able to see them in Carson the first three years I lived in LA. Great times, including getting to talk to Gates for quite awhile before the 2004 season when not many people were interested in him (he was hyped here though).
What area is Charger's Park in? They were in Mission Valley before Carson right?

mad sweeney said:

What area is Charger's Park in? They were in Mission Valley before Carson right?
I wasn't here before they were in Carson but here's where Chargers Park is:http://maps.google.com/maps?q=4020+Murphy+...+92109&om=1

Autumn Wind said:
mad sweeney said:
Do you think the NFL wants a team in LA when it can use LA to coerse a new stadium out of the city the team is already in? No way! LA means more to the NFL w/o a team then it does with a team.
Valid point, but that speaks more to the past than the future IMHO. How many new cities can the NFL expand to? What new stadiums are needed in existing cities with teams that could legitimately threaten to move? I think it's fish or cut bait time with the NFL in LA.

The reason he is not leaving it to his family is becasue they would not have the capital to pay the inheritence tax. While they have a great nest egg in a team worth $750 million or whatever, they would not have the capital to pay the tax, or so he has said.

Buffalo will move to to Toronto once Ralph Wilson dies. He has run the team into the ground, the game has passed him by as an owner, and the franchise will be better off once they are sold and moved. It will be a shame for everyone in Buffalo when they have to travel to Toronto to watch a game, but it will be better for the NFL. The NFL is trying to reach out more on a global scale with games in London and Mexico over the past two years. Too bad Buffalo couldn't cut the mustard in the early 90s and win a Super Bowl. The Buffalo Bills will forever be known as the team that couldn't win the big game. KindlyBIGG Johnny
Thanks for cheering me up, can I punch you? :blackdot:

I believe the Bills will move to Toronto. As someone else stated, they're already in negotiations to play several home games in Toronto. In other words, they're testing out the market.

The greater Toronto area is 6 million people, more than enough to support an NFL team. With the Canadian dollar on par with the greenback it makes great economic sense.

The reason he is not leaving it to his family is becasue they would not have the capital to pay the inheritence tax. While they have a great nest egg in a team worth $750 million or whatever, they would not have the capital to pay the tax, or so he has said.
That is how Daniel Snyder ended up with the Redskins and "estate planning" is why Art Modell sold the Ravens.

Buffalo will move to to Toronto once Ralph Wilson dies. He has run the team into the ground, the game has passed him by as an owner, and the franchise will be better off once they are sold and moved. It will be a shame for everyone in Buffalo when they have to travel to Toronto to watch a game, but it will be better for the NFL. The NFL is trying to reach out more on a global scale with games in London and Mexico over the past two years. Too bad Buffalo couldn't cut the mustard in the early 90s and win a Super Bowl. The Buffalo Bills will forever be known as the team that couldn't win the big game. KindlyBIGG Johnny
You are an idiot. What an insightful, well thought response.

i thought LA was supposed to get a team in like 2010 or something anyway? thought i remembered reading about that in the offseason/tail end of the playoffs last year..

That is how Daniel Snyder ended up with the Redskins and "estate planning" is why Art Modell sold the Ravens.
I was unaware that was the reason Art Modell sold the team. Makes sense though. It's a shame, especially since Ralph helped found the AFL, saved the Raiders from bankruptcy and has saved the Bills throughout the years. Would this be a problem in Florida? No income tax, but I'm not a lawyer.....

Is this the same Jacobs that owns or co-owns the Boston Bruins?If so, he won't put a single penny into the team to make it a contender. I hope the team stays in Buffalo but at not at the cost that their fans have to put up with the way the Bruins fans have to in order to attend an NHL game in Boston. They deserve better.

Buffalo is a tier two city. Tier two cities (with the exception of Green Bay) don't have NFL teams. If the county doesn't step in or Golisano (with partners), the team is as good as gone. Go to to downtown Buffalo and drive through the neighbourhoods that's why the team won't stay in Buffalo.... :thumbup:

Buffalo is a tier two city. Tier two cities (with the exception of Green Bay) don't have NFL teams. If the county doesn't step in or Golisano (with partners), the team is as good as gone. Go to to downtown Buffalo and drive through the neighbourhoods that's why the team won't stay in Buffalo.... :rant:
Agreed. But why couldn't Ralph sell the team to a public corporation like Green Bay has? There's enough community support.

8 in 5?All I heard was a preseason game in 08 and regular season game in 09BTW This is up for a vote by the state and/or town. IMO it makes good business sense to accept any offer where 60k buy your product for a day. It's almost silly not to.Buffalo is a relatively small city and the average salary doesn't stackup to places like the NYC area. Outsourcing their product may be a wise idea.Whatever advertisers pay them for a season of 8 games will only be less if the going rate for advertising changes. If advertiser 1,2, and 3 still pay the same amount, they lose nothing but gain whatever is generated in Toronto.TV Markets are enormous money for the league. I believe there's a sharing process involved with this money. However, I would think that watching from somewhere where it's not the national pasttime, it's more casual and not necessarily an every week event. I'm sure they have diehard fans, I see em' here. I mean in general. Personally, I don't think Canada has a sport as entertaining as NFL football so I believe it's possible they turn alot of people into diehards like we have in America.Jersey sales.....it's alot more than just 60k tickets. We all know the US is gonna tax every penny. I believe a percent of that will go to the Buffalo area. If it's presented properly, I don't see how Buffalo(Orchard park) citizens wouldn't want to inject a sizable amount of money into their community for better roads, schools, or whateverWilson's death has not been mentioned in the Toronto articles I saw. Toronto is either his idea or an idea he has strongly tried to promote.

You are an idiot. What an insightful, well thought response.
Both of you please don't start down that path.Thanks.J

Buffalo is a tier two city. Tier two cities (with the exception of Green Bay) don't have NFL teams. If the county doesn't step in or Golisano (with partners), the team is as good as gone. Go to to downtown Buffalo and drive through the neighbourhoods that's why the team won't stay in Buffalo.... :rolleyes:
Agreed. But why couldn't Ralph sell the team to a public corporation like Green Bay has? There's enough community support.
Buffalo may be a Tier two city, but the Bills are not about "Downtown Buffalo" - the stadium is in Orchard Park and the fans come from Erie County and all of Western New York....plus our pals from over the border and in Rochester make for a big following....I moved to Buffalo when I started college at UB and I have to admit that the Bills were a big deciding factor in where I would go.....our city may not have a great reputation, but, as someone who did not grow up here, I can't imagine a better place to live and raise my family....those who are from here, even if they have moved away to follow better opportunities, would agree and would love to come back....Buffalo will find a way to turn itself around - there are already some promising ideas going around - and we certainly won't let our team go without a BIG fight!! (Sorry for the sermon) ;)

The fan base for the Bills is probably in the top 15 in the league. The problem is that the corporation base for luxury boxes is in the bottom 5. Bills would do OK in Toronto for the first few years and if they were winning, but Toronto is a hockey town and I don't see them supporting a losing team. Plus, Toronto and Ontario people are used to coming to Buffalo to watch the Sabres and Bills.

LA does not want and will not pay for a team. The Rose Bowl and Colliseum are both very old, and there will be no public money to renovate them or build new. I doubt that TV wants a team in LA, where they'll have to worry about blackoutsin the #2 market. LA will only sell out if the team is winning or the coroporations buy out the seats.

The criticism of Ralph Wilson is deserved IMHO. The guy constantly whines about getting more shared revenue, but I've seen little from that team in terms of developing their fan base or investing in the franchise or finding other ways to make money.

The only think I can say in their defense is that they have tried to put a good product on the field - this is not the Bidwells we're talking about here.

I'm not wishing for anyone's demise, but the fact is that if he refuses to give up the team, it will be his death that harkens in a new era for the franchise and a legitimate chance to improve their position. That team should stay put though - that fan base though not huge is solid and they've stayed faithful to their team. This is not a johnny-come-lately group of fans that don't show up.

While Ralph has done a lot in the past, I think he is making some really dumb moves now - I don't know if it's because he wants to make big changes that will have his name on them before he passes, or what. I think having a game in Toronto is really dumb, because A) as previously mentioned, Toronto won't support a losing team and B) That might reduce the # of Canadians that come to our home games if they have the chance to go to a game or two in Toronto, thus, reducing the attendance at our stadium....we depend on our Canadian friends for season ticket and single game sales....I just hope that things are happening NOW in preparation of his passing to get the ball rolling to keep them here, whether it be Golisano, or others.....

Users who are viewing this thread