What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

If Tom Brady wants to be the best Quarterback of all time, he needs to (1 Viewer)

Eminence

Footballguy
I won't lie, I'm rooting for Brady and the Patriots. He's the Golden Boy. I don't think a QB can beat an entire team, you need everyone to contribute.

Pete Carrol is a better coach than John Fox.

Bill Belichek is a better coach than Pete Carrol.

But if anybody is going to be the Golden Boy to overcome the odds, it's Brady. Take your throne back Tom, I'm rooting for you. Don't disappointed me like Peyton did.

There's nothing he can do to be the best QB of all time as long as Montana has a "0" in his Super Bowl loss column.

He needs to...Win a Super Bowl without cheating allegations...oh wait they allegedly cheated to beat the Colts.

There's nothing he can do to be the best QB of all time as long as Montana has a "0" in his Super Bowl loss column.
Lol. I guess you didnt see the end of his career in KC.
When a broken down Montana, alongside fellow corpse Marcus Allen, led his team to the championship game in 93 and the playoffs in 94?

Go ahead and name his receivers w/o looking it up.
guess one was Andre Rison

When a broken down Montana, alongside fellow corpse Marcus Allen, led his team to the championship game in 93 and the playoffs in 94?Go ahead and name his receivers w/o looking it up.
IIRC, Rison was several years later.

It's interesting how people say if he makes it again...then when he does it's, well he didn't...

He has to be top 3 on any list.

Every year lately I am annoyed he doesn't get the preseason reps and seems to start out the season weak and then it's like the light goes on in week 4-5 or so and he's great. I feel like if they pushed him like the others in camp, he'd start off the season far better. Maybe this keeps him healthy? All in all, it works so I suppose don't change it.

He's 37 and doesn't seem too old yet so it seems like he's got more years in him to extend his records. I hope he can to a point where there's no debate he's the best ever

That's the silliest argument. So Geno Smith had a better legacy year this year than whoever lost the Super Bowl. Since missing the playoffs is better than a Super Bowl loss. Jim Kelly is the worst QB of all time.

That's the silliest argument. So Geno Smith had a better legacy year this year than whoever lost the Super Bowl. Since missing the playoffs is better than a Super Bowl loss. Jim Kelly is the worst QB of all time.
Exactly the same.
Explain to me why it's worse for Brady's legacy if he loses to Seattle than if he'd lost to Indy or Baltimore.

Geno doesn't have the wins Joe does.

Aside from Charlie Sheen, being a "winner" matters to a lot of QB critics

Geno doesn't have the wins Joe does. Aside from Charlie Sheen, being a "winner" matters to a lot of QB critics
Fine, but why is a Super Bowl loss worse than a conference championship loss?

Seems to me getting knocked out of the playoffs ends your season even if it's before the Super Bowl.

Geno doesn't have the wins Joe does. Aside from Charlie Sheen, being a "winner" matters to a lot of QB critics

Seems to me getting knocked out of the playoffs ends your season even if it's before the Super Bowl.
I don't consider Joe better. Just thought Geno was going a bit far.

I suppose one could reasonably say that the Giants and Bears Joe faced were better than any D Brady had faced or maybe you throw in the Ravens and someone points out a tough Eagles D...I think Joe had it harder to get to the Supe by beating one or two infamous Ds, but....I am of the opinion Brady is the best. I'm just guessing what someone's argument would be. In my mind, Rice was uncoverable in his prime and Craig was a way more effective RB than anyone gives him credit for and....We've seen Brady's cast change so much that I prefer Brady.

I think Joe was awesome and don't in anyway mean to minimize his stellar play. I'm just saying I prefer Brady

So every season a QB doesn't even reach the SB doesn't count for anything? Montana didn't win the SB 9 years as a starter. If he truly had a whatever and zero record, he would have been 13-0.

IMO, going 4-2 in SBs is a lot harder than going 4-0. Certainly Montana played out of his mind in those games, so his performance is top shelf. But he had some years where he did very little in the playoffs including three ugly one and dones in the middle of his career.

I don't consider Joe better. Just thought Geno was going a bit far.I suppose one could reasonably say that the Giants and Bears Joe faced were better than any D Brady had faced or maybe you throw in the Ravens and someone points out a tough Eagles D...I think Joe had it harder to get to the Supe by beating one or two infamous Ds, but....I am of the opinion Brady is the best. I'm just guessing what someone's argument would be. In my mind, Rice was uncoverable in his prime and Craig was a way more effective RB than anyone gives him credit for and....We've seen Brady's cast change so much that I prefer Brady.

I think Joe was awesome and don't in anyway mean to minimize his stellar play. I'm just saying I prefer Brady
I'm not really on one side or the other. I didn't really watch Joe much until his KC days. So I'm not sure. Just always get annoyed with the Super Bowl loss argument. It really doesn't make any sense and people repeat it ad nauseam.

Why doesn't it make sense ?

One guy made it to the most important game in his game and never failed.

Another guy made it to the big game and failed to win it, in one case with an undefeated team.

Last edited by a moderator:
Their kicker and defense won 3 super bowls, not tom brady. He was a passenger on that train. Now TB did lose twice to the Giants.

Another guy made it to the big game and failed to win it, in one case with an undefeated team.
Humor me and substitute Eli for Montana. If Eli were to somehow win two more SBs but not even make the playoffs in the other seasons, not making the playoffs or having years with losing records or poor stats would not be held against him?

I get that based on winning percentage of 4-0 is better, but there is no denying that it is more difficult to get to six SBs than four.

So why is losing in the Super Bowl worse than losing before the Super Bowl? It's a dumb argument.

Humor me and substitute Eli for Montana. If Eli were to somehow win two more SBs but not even make the playoffs in the other seasons, not making the playoffs or having years with losing records or poor stats would not be held against him?I get that based on winning percentage of 4-0 is better, but there is no denying that it is more difficult to get to six SBs than four.
Nobody takes Eli manning seriously.

Humor me and substitute Eli for Montana. If Eli were to somehow win two more SBs but not even make the playoffs in the other seasons, not making the playoffs or having years with losing records or poor stats would not be held against him?I get that based on winning percentage of 4-0 is better, but there is no denying that it is more difficult to get to six SBs than four.
Nobody takes Eli manning seriously.
Eli Manning is The Most Clutch Post Season Quarterback of All Time.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-most-clutch-postseason-quarterback-of-all-time-is-eli-manning/

I know that it is fun to debate these things and make our lists. At the end of the day, it is impossible to compare QBs in such different eras - more of a passing league now, have to deal with the salary cap/FAs, etc.. . Why can't we just be happy with saying that he is probably the best QB of his era and enjoy the ride since he doesn't have that much longer anyway.

When a broken down Montana, alongside fellow corpse Marcus Allen, led his team to the championship game in 93 and the playoffs in 94?Go ahead and name his receivers w/o looking it up.
Montana's regular starting WRs during his two KC years were Willie Davis and J.J. Birden. Davis came from the Orlando Thunder of the original WLAF days. Montana also threw a lot to backs Marcus Allen, Kimble Anders (a great underrated player), and Todd McNair.Rison was still in Atlanta during Montana's KC days. Then, before the 1995 season he signed a big contract with Cleveland. He was a flop there.

Then he landed in Jacksonville for the 1996 season and was removed from the team in November for being a jerk. Green Bay picked him up and he helped them win a Super Bowl. This is similar to the LeGarrette Blount situation of this season. A player acts like a jerk, gets fired from a good team and gets picked up by an even better team.

Montana was really good (and old) with the Chiefs. People who knock his performance with the Chiefs did not watch many, or any, of the games. He played well against the Steelers in the playoffs and was great in Houston (the Chiefs have not won a playoff game since) and then the whole team stunk in Buffalo. The next year, the team closed up shop in the second half in the playoff loss in Miami. Montana was alright in the game but it was time to call it a career. The team needed a retooling.

Montana's regular starting WRs during his two KC years were Willie Davis and J.J. Birden. Davis came from the Orlando Thunder of the original WLAF days. Montana also threw a lot to backs Marcus Allen, Kimble Anders (a great underrated player), and Todd McNair.Rison was still in Atlanta during Montana's KC days. Then, before the 1995 season he signed a big contract with Cleveland. He was a flop there.

Then he landed in Jacksonville for the 1996 season and was removed from the team in November for being a jerk. Green Bay picked him up and he helped them win a Super Bowl. This is similar to the LeGarrette Blount situation of this season. A player acts like a jerk, gets fired from a good team and gets picked up by an even better team.

Montana was really good (and old) with the Chiefs. People who knock his performance with the Chiefs did not watch many, or any, of the games. He played well against the Steelers in the playoffs and was great in Houston (the Chiefs have not won a playoff game since) and then the whole team stunk in Buffalo. The next year, the team closed up shop in the second half in the playoff loss in Miami. Montana was alright in the game but it was time to call it a career. The team needed a retooling.
:cry:

Oh yes, the annual best QB of all time conversation. We can settle this, same as every year:

1) Montana

2-5) open for debate

I think Luck has a chance to enter the 2-5 conversation within about 6-7 years.

How about taking two different teams (ala BF) In a similar fashion to both MN and NYJ and making some people believe they were SB worthy Teams.

Could he be the X- Factor in Detroit and/or Arizona? I believe he could, but its still something to see to believe..

I do not believe its a very favorable example in Team comparisons (especially AZ) But, the ability to come in raw, and develop a SB Winning attitude is pretty special. (perhaps the Chargers would be a better example?) Im a Rivers Fan, so its kinda hard to believe if True..

Lets not forget Montana was kinda scary special too..

If you ever were to believe TB was better than Johnny Unitas, while I guess were all wrong sometimes..

How about taking two different teams (ala BF) In a similar fashion to both MN and NYJ and making some people believe they were SB worthy Teams.

Could he be the X- Factor in Detroit and/or Arizona? I believe he could, but its still something to see to believe..

I do not believe its a very favorable example in Team comparisons (especially AZ) But, the ability to come in raw, and develop a SB Winning attitude is pretty special. (perhaps the Chargers would be a better example?) Im a Rivers Fan, so its kinda hard to believe if True..

If you ever were to believe TB was better than Johnny Unitas, while I guess were all wrong sometimes..
Does anyone have the slightest clue of what the hell this guy is talking about ?

Does anyone have the slightest clue of what the hell this guy is talking about ?
Anyone who opens with Brett Farve loses credibility instantly.

Fariq is right, IMO. I remember the Chiefs-era Montana really well, as this the period when Bills-Chiefs actually meant something. Montana wasn't playing in All-Pro form or anything like that, but he was solid, especially when factoring in the group of so-so receivers at his disposal. JJ Birden and Willie Davis aren't exactly Jerry Rice and Dwight Clark.

When it comes to Brady and the Patriots all logic goes right out the door. Intelligent football fans stop making sense and it becomes an emotional argument.

History is going to have to be the judge with Brady and the Pats, and none of us will be involved in those discussions.

He'd have to retroactively win a collegiate national championship. That fifth ring on Montana's hand in the Heisman commercial? A national championship ring. On top of his pro success, Montana also topped the college scene at one point as well.

Humor me and substitute Eli for Montana. If Eli were to somehow win two more SBs but not even make the playoffs in the other seasons, not making the playoffs or having years with losing records or poor stats would not be held against him?

I get that based on winning percentage of 4-0 is better, but there is no denying that it is more difficult to get to six SBs than four.
Don't take this as me downplaying the Patriots, because what they've accomplished is amazing and I don't believe Brady's SuperBowl losses should be held against him, but I will disagree a bit. During Montana's era the NFC was stacked (and its representative generally went on to win the SuperBowl. I think it was much tougher for the 49ers to get to the SuperBowl facing teams like Dallas, the Gianst, the Bears, etc. than for the Patriots to get through a watered down AFC.

Generally your point is valid of course (There is no denying it as you say) - and it's still an amazing accomplishment, but I just don't think the path to the SuperBowl was filled with as many landmines for Brady as it was for Montana.

Don't take this as me downplaying the Patriots, because what they've accomplished is amazing and I don't believe Brady's SuperBowl losses should be held against him, but I will disagree a bit. During Montana's era the NFC was stacked (and its representative generally went on to win the SuperBowl. I think it was much tougher for the 49ers to get to the SuperBowl facing teams like Dallas, the Gianst, the Bears, etc. than for the Patriots to get through a watered down AFC.

Generally your point is valid of course (There is no denying it as you say) - and it's still an amazing accomplishment, but I just don't think the path to the SuperBowl was filled with as many landmines for Brady as it was for Montana.
Right Montana usually played his toughest competition before the Super Bowl. Brady often plays his toughest in the Super Bowl. It's a lot of the reason Brady has played in more Super Bowls and Montana has done better in them. If Brady does win a 4th before he hangs them up its hard to differentiate between the 2. That being said I didn't watch much of Montana in SF. So that's mostly based on numbers relative to the other great QBs in their era.

He'd have to retroactively win a collegiate national championship. That fifth ring on Montana's hand in the Heisman commercial? A national championship ring. On top of his pro success, Montana also topped the college scene at one point as well.
:confused:

Brady did win the National Championship with Michigan.

Fariq is right, IMO. I remember the Chiefs-era Montana really well, as this the period when Bills-Chiefs actually meant something. Montana wasn't playing in All-Pro form or anything like that, but he was solid, especially when factoring in the group of so-so receivers at his disposal. JJ Birden and Willie Davis aren't exactly Jerry Rice and Dwight Clark.
I am in full agreement. The crying smiley is because I miss Montana

Just curious - to all the Montana fans... What exactly would Brady have to do from here on out to surpass Montana? 5 Championships? 6? 7? For every Super Bowl loss does he need to have 2 wins? Genuinely curious how this works.

So why is losing in the Super Bowl worse than losing before the Super Bowl? It's a dumb argument.
I think it is partly the perception that Brady was *supposed* to win those games. Montana only lost 2 playoff games that the 49ers were favored to win - Brady has lost 5. Two of those 5 being SBs and one being a SB where the Pats were favored by 12.5.

Super Bowl wins are the most impressive thing a starting QB can showcase on his resume.

Super Bowl losses are the second most impressive thing. Especially if you're not the reason they weren't wins.

Just curious - to all the Montana fans... What exactly would Brady have to do from here on out to surpass Montana? 5 Championships? 6? 7? For every Super Bowl loss does he need to have 2 wins? Genuinely curious how this works.
Just speaking for me, but I don't think Brady can surpass Montana in my eyes. I am, however, willing to concede that Brady has surpassed Elway as number two on my list regardless of the outcome of the SB.

*ETA* The NYG SB loss is a HUGE black mark on his resume to me. Probably the biggest reason I cannot rank him number one.

Just speaking for me, but I don't think Brady can surpass Montana in my eyes. I am, however, willing to concede that Brady has surpassed Elway as number two on my list regardless of the outcome of the SB.*ETA* The NYG SB loss is a HUGE black mark on his resume to me. Probably the biggest reason I cannot rank him number one.
In both NYG Superbowls he led his team down the field to a go ahead touchdown late in the 4th quarter. Seems a little harsh, no?

Tom Brady has more playoff wins than 21 NFL franchises. Not over the course of Brady's career. All-time.

This here is like the Lebron/Jordan argument with Lebron/Brady being the similar players... Lost in the big game, and also won in the big game, but were amazingly productive, had amazing longevity and won multiple awards at the highest level while being the best player on the field at all times. Brady is top 2 or 3 all time as is Lebron when all said and done. The losses in the superbowl mean nothing really 4/6 is as good as 4/4..... Getting to a championship is an accomplishment. I never understood how losing in the first or second round holds more weight then making a championship? :shrug: :kicksrock: :doh: :crazy:

Sports is a team game. Championships don't define a player. Dan Marino, Manning, Elway, favre have 0,1 or 2 super bowls respectively but are they not as good as Terry Bradshaw who was also 4/4? Is Trent dilfer, Brad Johnson and Neil O donnell better then these men? Arguments are Petty at best for the superbowl Joe argument.

Just speaking for me, but I don't think Brady can surpass Montana in my eyes. I am, however, willing to concede that Brady has surpassed Elway as number two on my list regardless of the outcome of the SB.*ETA* The NYG SB loss is a HUGE black mark on his resume to me. Probably the biggest reason I cannot rank him number one.
In both NYG Superbowls he led his team down the field to a go ahead touchdown late in the 4th quarter. Seems a little harsh, no?
Harsh? Maybe.

We're really talking about different eras. Montana had to play much tougher teams to get to the SB. Those Giants, Redskins, Cowboys and Bears teams were REALLY good. Some of the best defenses of all time. It was a lot easier to stack teams back than with no salary cap.

Users who are viewing this thread