What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Starting a Team Today - Luck or Wilson (1 Viewer)

Who would you prefer?

• Andrew Luck

Votes: 230 87.1%
  • Russell Wilson

Votes: 34 12.9%

• Total voters

mr roboto

Footballguy
You are a GM. You can choose to have Luck or Wilson for the next 10 years. Same salary. Who would you choose?

:popcorn:

Really tough for me. Skill wise they're probably each other's equals right now. I trust luck's skill set to age better. I trust Russell's brain, heart, and drive more.

But I'm totally biased, so I didn't vote.

As a Seahawks fan, Wilson Isis my mind one of the best QBs in the league, but I'd go with Luck. Luck is going to be very good for a very long time, and if you put him on a team that is run by actual competent football experts instead of what he has in Indy he would quickly be vaulted into elite status

No brainer.

All 32 NFL GMs would take Luck.

Colts are a 4 win team without Luck, yet they make the playoffs and are competitive every season with him at the helm.

Im a huuuge Wilson fan, but he has had the benefit of an all-time elite defense and a beast RB. I wouldnt argue if somoeone touted Wilson as the #2 franchise qb starting today, but Luck is the obvious pick.

The "brain heart drive" comment has me scratching my head, btw. When has Luck ever shown a lack of any of those things? Dude is as close to a one-man-team as there is in the league.

No brainer.

Colts are a 4 win team without Luck, yet they make the playoffs and are competitive every season with him at the helm.

Im a huuuge Wilson fan, but he has had the benefit of an all-time elite defense and a beast RB. I wouldnt argue if somoeone touted Wilson as the #2 franchise qb starting today, but Luck is the obvious pick.

The "brain heart drive" comment has me scratching my head, btw. When has Luck ever shown a lack of any of those things? Dude is as close to a one-man-team as there is in the league.
I didn't say luck was lacking in any of those those areas. Read a little bit more closely.

WIlson has proven that he can manage a great team to get them over the hump when they need him, but has not yet proven that he can put a mediocre team on his back and carry it.

Luck has proven that he can put a mediocre team on his back and carry them, but has not yet proven that he can manage a great team to get them over the hump when they need him.

That's certainly not to say that either can't do they other, they just haven't had the opportunity yet (Wilson hasn't had to carry a bad team, Luck hasn't played with a great team). I think it's very likely that Luck could win it all with a great team. I think it's 50/50 whether Wilson could put a bad team on his back and carry them, and think it's less than 50/50 that he could do it to the extent that Luck has (3 straight playoff appearances and an AFC championship appearance with a pretty dreadful team).

I'd take Luck, by quite a bit. Hard to go wrong here, though.

No brainer.

I didn't say luck was lacking in any of those those areas. Read a little bit more closely.
sorry if I wasn't clear, but i was a referring to a supposed lack of those qualities in comparison to Wilson. Imo, Luck has shown to have those qualities as much as anyone playing.

WIlson has proven that he can manage a great team to get them over the hump when they need him, but has not yet proven that he can put a mediocre team on his back and carry it.

Luck has proven that he can put a mediocre team on his back and carry them, but has not yet proven that he can manage a great team to get them over the hump when they need him.

That's certainly not to say that either can't do they other, they just haven't had the opportunity yet (Wilson hasn't had to carry a bad team, Luck hasn't played with a great team). I think it's very likely that Luck could win it all with a great team. I think it's 50/50 whether Wilson could put a bad team on his back and carry them, and think it's less than 50/50 that he could do it to the extent that Luck has (3 straight playoff appearances and an AFC championship appearance with a pretty dreadful team).

I'd take Luck, by quite a bit. Hard to go wrong here, though.
My view exactly.

I don't think you can go wrong with either. I think Wilson will become a great quarterback, he just doesn't have to be the best quarterback in the league right now and he knows it. So he knows when to take chances and when not to. Luck is the same way, but is more physically gifted, he also knows he has to do it all right now and he does. This is why Luck takes more chances and fails a little more. I also think Luck could dial it back if he had the team around him to do it.

I would take Luck, but they are close.

No brainer.

sorry if I wasn't clear, but i was a referring to a supposed lack of those qualities in comparison to Wilson. Imo, Luck has shown to have those qualities as much as anyone playing.
Luck is amazing. I'm not sure who I'd rather have, and I'm comparing him to a guy who's had one of the most impressive starts to a career ever and is one win shy of his 2nd ring in his first 3 years. Being not as good as that guy's best traits is no slight.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd go Luck for sure here.

Maybe a better question is Wilson for 10 years or Aaron Rodgers for 5-6? I'd probably take Rodgers in that scenario.

I'd take Wilson... His skillset is outrageous and I could see him doing easily as well on the Colts as Luck is. Luck, I don't think would make the Seahawks all that much better than they are with Wilson, because they'd still be feeding the ball to Marshawn Lynch. If anything, the numbers would be similar. Wilson has superior intangibles along with his incredible athletic skill.

Why would anyone choose Wilson? Luck on that Seahawks team would be unfair.
Wilson on the Colts with actual good WRs would be, too.

Nothing against Wilson, but Luck has the potential to be a top 5 all-time QB. This isn't close.
Okay, what does potential mean? Luck has to turn it around in a HUGE way in the postseason to become a top 5 all-time QB, considering he already has 12 INTs in six playoff games.

I'd take Wilson... His skillset is outrageous and I could see him doing easily as well on the Colts as Luck is. Luck, I don't think would make the Seahawks all that much better than they are with Wilson, because they'd still be feeding the ball to Marshawn Lynch. If anything, the numbers would be similar. Wilson has superior intangibles along with his incredible athletic skill.
:lol:

Why is that funny? Seattle is 30-7 the last two seasons with Wilson. Luck would really make them that much better?

As for intangibles, Wilson's are as good as Luck's, if not better. Why is that LOL-worthy?

I sometimes wonder if people really watch games anymore. Wilson is fantastic; so is Luck. A good argument can be made for either here, but this thought that the no-brainer answer is Luck is kinda silly.

If Luck were on this Seahawk team, the '72 Dolphins would be sweating bullets, the "Best ever?" talk would be heating up, and Percy Harvin would be a first team All Pro.

If Wilson were on the Colts, they'd win 4. Aaron Rodgers might be the only other guy who would have led the Colts to double digit wins.

Nothing against Wilson, but Luck has the potential to be a top 5 all-time QB. This isn't close.
Okay, what does potential mean? Luck has to turn it around in a HUGE way in the postseason to become a top 5 all-time QB, considering he already has 12 INTs in six playoff games.
And Wilson just threw 4 in one game, yet won, because he plays on an actual NFL team

Why is that funny? Seattle is 30-7 the last two seasons with Wilson. Luck would really make them that much better?

As for intangibles, Wilson's are as good as Luck's, if not better. Why is that LOL-worthy?

I sometimes wonder if people really watch games anymore. Wilson is fantastic; so is Luck. A good argument can be made for either here, but this thought that the no-brainer answer is Luck is kinda silly.
It's posts like this that make me wonder the same.

That said, AT THE MOMENT, what you can probably say about Russell Wilson is that he is the single greatest BARGAIN in football. That, of course, is about to change in a major way.

And Wilson just threw 4 in one game, yet won, because he plays on an actual NFL team
Or because the Packers had an epic collapse.

And despite last week, Wilson has still outplayed Luck over the course of their playoff careers.

Like I have said in other threads, Luck is a great player, and I love watching him play, but he needs to scale back on the turnovers. He still throws too many INTs. Wilson throwing 4 last week was a total anomaly.

This is about starting a team today, who do you take. The answer is Luck by a ridiculous landslide.

Wilson is excellent, and is a total perfect fit for a team with a great D, great RB, and innovative coach, plus what appears to be a great locker room. Even though I still think Luck would make Seattle better than WIlson does, it's very close because of that fit.

If Wilson was on Indy, they would struggle quite a bit. They have NOTHING but Luck, and I don't think Wilson stacks up to Luck's ability as an NFL QB.

If you added Luck to any NFL team or situation, he would be better than Wilson, even the Seattle situation which is perfectly set up for WIlson (and again, dont get me wrong, WIlson is very very good).

Hence, if starting a team, I take Luck, and it isn't even close enough for me to believe there is a thread about it.

That said, AT THE MOMENT, what you can probably say about Russell Wilson is that he is the single greatest BARGAIN in football. That, of course, is about to change in a major way.
Another great point. They will lose some players because he is about to increase his salary by like 2000%

This is such a stupid argument. Simply put, there are things Wilson can do Luck hasn't shown yet, and there are things Luck has shown that Wilson hasn't had to yet. For anyone saying one can't do something the either can't based on 3 years of data is beyond idiotic.

The people in here claiming "it isn't close" either way are doing so without a full set of data and they know it.

Or because the Packers had an epic collapse.

And despite last week, Wilson has still outplayed Luck over the course of their playoff careers.

Like I have said in other threads, Luck is a great player, and I love watching him play, but he needs to scale back on the turnovers. He still throws too many INTs. Wilson throwing 4 last week was a total anomaly.
I can't say he outplayed him. When your team sucks you have to take chances. Luck has not had the benefit of any kind of run game or good D to keep him in playoff games against good competition, hence, has to take many chances that WIlson doesn't, hence, more INTs.

Several of the Seattle playoff games were so lopsided that Seattle could have run the ball every play and never thrown a pass and still won the games. Luck has not had ONE game like that in his career, let alone a few playoff games including a super bowl.

This is such a stupid argument. Simply put, there are things Wilson can do Luck hasn't shown yet, and there are things Luck has shown that Wilson hasn't had to yet. For anyone saying one can't do something the either can't based on 3 years of data is beyond idiotic.

The people in here claiming "it isn't close" either way are doing so without a full set of data and they know it.
Well then, I guess in 15 years we can consider discussing this. End thread//

Indy has NOTHING but Luck? Yeah, Vontae Davis is just garbage. TY Hilton? What a bum. Look, we all know that Wilson has a better team around him than Luck, but this idea that the Colts are Luck and nothing but scrubs is total crap. Hell, the Colts running game wasn't as awful this year as everyone thinks.

EdIt: The link I read was wrong. Seattle had 1920 rushing yards without adding Wilson's numbers. I should have fact checked it on PFR first.

That aside, the Colts still do have other good players on their team. It's not just Luck and a bunch of bums.

Indy has NOTHING but Luck? Yeah, Vontae Davis is just garbage. TY Hilton? What a bum. Look, we all know that Wilson has a better team around him than Luck, but this idea that the Colts are Luck and nothing but scrubs is total crap. Hell, the Colts running game wasn't as awful this year as everyone thinks.

EdIt: The link I read was wrong. Seattle had 1920 rushing yards without adding Wilson's numbers. I should have fact checked it on PFR first.

That aside, the Colts still do have other good players on their team. It's not just Luck and a bunch of bums.
Compared to Seattle, it is Luck and a bunch of bums.

I just bet WIlson would make TY Hilton look awesome.

And sorry but, the Colts running game was horrific. I mean, horrific. What are you watching?

Compared to Seattle, it is Luck and a bunch of bums.

I just bet WIlson would make TY Hilton look awesome.

And sorry but, the Colts running game was horrific. I mean, horrific. What are you watching?
So if you were starting an NFL team, would you take the Seattle O-line or the Indy O-line? The Seattle WRs or the Indy WRs?

Agreed, but like I mentioned above, I think the things that Luck hasn't yet proven are more likely to be true but just unproven than the things that Wilson hasn't yet proven. I think it's much more likely that Luck could win on Seattle than it is that Wilson could put up MVP numbers and take a horrible Colts team to the conference championship. We don't know for sure either way, of course.

84 yards a game from their RBs isn't great, but it's not completely horrific. They had six games this year where they ran for 120+ as a team, and even had three games in the 169-175 range. That's not totally horrific. The games against Denver, NE and Dallas, games in which they fell behind early and abandoned the run, killed their team average. Don't get me wrong, they need to improve their running game, but they had plenty of good team rushing games this season, and Bradshaw was a great dual threat before getting hurt.

I think if the Seahawks had drafted Hilton and the Colts had taken Baldwin, you'd be saying the exact same thing about Baldwin right now instead because Luck would have made him look better.

Hilton is a solid NFL WR. He's below average as a team's #1 WR, and there isn't much behind him.

Seattle Oline. Seattle WRs. Not by a lot of anything, but that's my pick.

Lynch or RIchardson/Herron??

Seattle all time great D or Indy crap D?

Again, as I said before, Seattle can win games without throwing a single pass. Indy would lose 50-0 to most teams doing that.

84 yards a game from their RBs isn't great, but it's not completely horrific. They had six games this year where they ran for 120+ as a team, and even had three games in the 169-175 range. That's not totally horrific. The games against Denver, NE and Dallas, games in which they fell behind early and abandoned the run, killed their team average. Don't get me wrong, they need to improve their running game, but they had plenty of good team rushing games this season, and Bradshaw was a great dual threat before getting hurt.
:doh:

Seattle was behind 12 points with a few minutes left and didn't have to abandon their run because, well, they can run.

Teams only abandon the run when they can't run.

It's funny because there isn't room for the Seahawks to be much better.

I think if the Seahawks had drafted Hilton and the Colts had taken Baldwin, you'd be saying the exact same thing about Baldwin right now instead because Luck would have made him look better.

Hilton is a solid NFL WR. He's below average as a team's #1 WR, and there isn't much behind him.
Totally agree.

Hilton's major success this year is because of Luck.

There is seriously no comparison to the surrounding teams of these QBs.

I'm curious for those who are "Luck by a landslide" to try to ground this with hard data. I mean, the guy throws the ball a lot more so he's going to have more yardage. But outside of the attempts/yardage angle I don't see the efficiency metrics you think you'd see from someone miles better.

I'm more than willing to be wrong, but I'm going to need something more than your subjective (and likely biased) viewpoint.

If Luck were on this Seahawk team, the '72 Dolphins would be sweating bullets, the "Best ever?" talk would be heating up, and Percy Harvin would be a first team All Pro.

If Wilson were on the Colts, they'd win 4. Aaron Rodgers might be the only other guy who would have led the Colts to double digit wins.
/end thread. Luck is so good he would make Harvin 1st team All Pro on the Jets!

I'm curious for those who are "Luck by a landslide" to try to ground this with hard data. I mean, the guy throws the ball a lot more so he's going to have more yardage. But outside of the attempts/yardage angle I don't see the efficiency metrics you think you'd see from someone miles better.

I'm more than willing to be wrong, but I'm going to need something more than your subjective (and likely biased) viewpoint.
Then u probably shouldnt talk about sports

And i actually like seattle more than Indy.

Hard to be super efficient with no run game and below average wrs, plus needing to throw every play.

Then u probably shouldnt talk about sports
Yeah, I assumed some sort of retort in that fashion. Funny, I tend to think if you want to have a debate on this subject you probably need to have an objective viewpoint. Sounds like you don't have the capacity for it.

Can't go wrong. Both are robot, mutant, uber QB's years ahead of their time.

Luck's bad beard is the difference, voted Russell.

Users who are viewing this thread