What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Schefter right now thinks Minnesota is going to take... (1 Viewer)

Bracie Smathers

Footballguy
Schefter qualified his statement but I tend to listen when he comes forward with even a qualified take.

From a few days ago. Lots of other draft rumors but I trust Schefter.

Maybe he knows something and he does add he thinks a trade-down could apply to make this work but this is how he feels Minnesota will take right now.

Walterfootball draft rumor mill

Speaking of Schefter, he had a very interesting tweet regarding Minnesota's pick:

My feeling today is in the minority. Think WR Justin Blackmon.

I don't know how the Vikings can possibly pass on Matt Kalil, so perhaps this would be in a trade-down scenario. Regardless, this does make more sense than those ridiculous Morris Claiborne rumors. Christian Ponder needs help. The pick has to be Kalil or Blackmon via moving down.

OOf.

Need to build the lines before you spring for skill players. If they take Blackmon over Kalil, they will regret it.

Luck, RG III, Blackmon, and Trent Richardson are game changers in the draft, yes or no?

Just not a lot of those type of players. I agree they need to rebuild the OL but they don't have a lot of real weapons right now around Ponder.

I would like Blackmon a little less going to Minnesota however if you believe in his talent then you believe in him wherever he goes. That said I would be conservative in projections for 2012 and 2013.

Luck, RG III, Blackmon, and Trent Richardson are game changers in the draft, yes or no?Just not a lot of those type of players. I agree they need to rebuild the OL but they don't have a lot of real weapons right now around Ponder. I would like Blackmon a little less going to Minnesota however if you believe in his talent then you believe in him wherever he goes. That said I would be conservative in projections for 2012 and 2013.
They have the worst offensive line on paper in the NFL. You can have a pro bowl backfield and it won't matter because that line is comprised of human turnstiles. I believe that the Blackmon talk is leaked because the Vikings want teams to trade up to their spot. I still thin the smart money is on Kalil.

Any one else thinks this is misinformation (perhaps not knowingly by Schefter) to get someone in love with Blackmon (STL?) to trade to #3 instead of 4? If they want an OT there will be one at #6, assuming Claiborne is picked in the top 5.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would love this as a Rams fan. I'm not sold in Blackmon. If only Kalil would last till 6.

That being said, this is misinformation IMO.

I would love this as a Rams fan. I'm not sold in Blackmon. If only Kalil would last till 6.That being said, this is misinformation IMO.
Talk about a great offseason if that were to happen. The Rams hit the jackpot with the # 2 pick trade, and then get the best prospect at their # 1 position of need. But I do think it is just misinformation from the Vikings.

I would love this as a Rams fan. I'm not sold in Blackmon. If only Kalil would last till 6.That being said, this is misinformation IMO.
Talk about a great offseason if that were to happen. The Rams hit the jackpot with the # 2 pick trade, and then get the best prospect at their # 1 position of need. But I do think it is just misinformation from the Vikings.
It would be a great offseason if the Rams could somehow pull off getting Kalil in addition to nabbing extra high draft picks.How could a team like the St. Louis Rams, who are sitting on a pile of extra high draft picks possibly get an OT like Ryan Kalil and the Minnesota Vinkings move down and still pick up a WR like Justin Blackmon? Hmnnn????Could it be that the Rams would ship one of the two high-second round draft picks to Minnesota where the Vikings would move down and be in position to get Blackmon?I agree that the Vikings would be better served to stay put and take Kalil because they could miss out on, Kalil, Blackmon, and Claiborne.Its tougher to find a solid starting OLT and they really could use one but Schefty is dialed in and rarely says anything unless he has reason to.

Trying to drive up value for #3 to get the Rams to jump up for him since they don't "need" a LT and neither do the Browns or Bucs?

Then they can just take Kalil at #6 after the Browns take Tannenhill and Bucs take Richardson or Claiborne?

You'd think they would also send signals of taking Tannenhill instead to get the Browns or Dolphins to jump up...but if they really want Kalil they won't want to fall past #6.

Trying to drive up value for #3 to get the Rams to jump up for him since they don't "need" a LT and neither do the Browns or Bucs?Then they can just take Kalil at #6 after the Browns take Tannenhill and Bucs take Richardson or Claiborne?You'd think they would also send signals of taking Tannenhill instead to get the Browns or Dolphins to jump up...but if they really want Kalil they won't want to fall past #6.
The Rams were talking about cutting Jason Smith who they took a couple of years ago. They have tried him at OLT and he failed so they moved him to ORT and he's still getting top-two money so they issued him an ultimatum, not sure what happened with that one but he's not a starting OLT. Saffold got rave reviews two years ago but last year he was awful and then got injured so his status is up in the air since he's coming off a very bad season and an injury. Oh and as a direct result of their turn style O-Line their franchise QB went down with an injury last year so they really do need a solid OLT to protect Bradford's blind side.Also Schefter has a great rep because he isn't swayed by disinformation. This scenario does make sense and could happen but I agree that it makes the most sense, to me at least, for the Vikes to stay put and get their OLT to protect their young QB and solidify their O-Line.

This Horrendous idea came out around the same time that Balldinger's Mock 1 came out.

Baldinger said that Michael Jenkins couldn't get open down the middle even with Jonathan Ogden at left tackle. Apparently, he could determine this after Jenkins and Ponder played a total of 5 games together. I must assume that in his mind that Kalil would be a great pick to the Rams because there receiving core is so much greater.

I don't understand why Blackmon would be more valuable than Kalil in a draft that is deep at receiver and very shallow at OT.

This Horrendous idea came out around the same time that Balldinger's Mock 1 came out. Baldinger said that Michael Jenkins couldn't get open down the middle even with Jonathan Ogden at left tackle. Apparently, he could determine this after Jenkins and Ponder played a total of 5 games together. I must assume that in his mind that Kalil would be a great pick to the Rams because there receiving core is so much greater. I don't understand why Blackmon would be more valuable than Kalil in a draft that is deep at receiver and very shallow at OT.
great post.

Greg Cosell tweeted earlier on the Kalil Backmon debate:

RE:Vikes-Who's more important to young QB like Ponder. Kalil or WR Blackmon? Don't have Blackmon in same class as A. Johnson or C. Johnson.

Agree re: Ponder. Not ready to compensate for poor OL play. Kalil easily best LT in draft. Vikes must take him at 3. 10 yr starter, All-Pro

This Horrendous idea came out around the same time that Balldinger's Mock 1 came out. Baldinger said that Michael Jenkins couldn't get open down the middle even with Jonathan Ogden at left tackle. Apparently, he could determine this after Jenkins and Ponder played a total of 5 games together.
Are you intimating that Michael Jenkins can get open?

This Horrendous idea came out around the same time that Balldinger's Mock 1 came out. Baldinger said that Michael Jenkins couldn't get open down the middle even with Jonathan Ogden at left tackle. Apparently, he could determine this after Jenkins and Ponder played a total of 5 games together.
Are you intimating that Michael Jenkins can get open?
The crux of Baldinger argument was that the Vikings do not need an elite tackle because Ponder and Webb can make throws while on the run. Forgetting the fact that Ponder might be running more out of necessity than design. The good news for Eagles fans will be that Vick will be making a lot more throws on the run this year. I did not see the need to take a shot a Jenkins who actually had some chemistry with Ponder in their limited playing time. This is not saying much but Jenkins out played Berrian and made him expendable.

Luck, RG III, Blackmon, and Trent Richardson are game changers in the draft, yes or no?Just not a lot of those type of players. I agree they need to rebuild the OL but they don't have a lot of real weapons right now around Ponder. I would like Blackmon a little less going to Minnesota however if you believe in his talent then you believe in him wherever he goes. That said I would be conservative in projections for 2012 and 2013.
They have the worst offensive line on paper in the NFL. You can have a pro bowl backfield and it won't matter because that line is comprised of human turnstiles. I believe that the Blackmon talk is leaked because the Vikings want teams to trade up to their spot. I still thin the smart money is on Kalil.
Agree 110%, outstanding post Balco

This would be an epic fail if Minn picked Blackmon over Kalil. Crazier things have happened of course, but this has to be a misinformation campaign to drive some other agenda IMO. Both Kalil and Blackmon may be the top player at their respective positions but that is about the only similarity they have. Kalil is head and shoulders above Blackmon as a prospect.

I would love this as a Rams fan. I'm not sold in Blackmon. If only Kalil would last till 6.

Can you explain what you are not sold on? I was sold on him 2-3 years ago, curious what you don't like. This kid is a beast in just about every sense of the word. I see the next Terrell Owens here.

As other have mentioned the Kalil in the 1st, WR at the top of the 2nd combo looks MUCH more attractive than Blackmon in the 1st, OT at the top of the 2nd.

However, if the Vikings have Kalil, Claiborne and Blackmon ranked pretty close together, it could make a lot of sense to trade down to 6 as long as they are confident that either Tannehill or Richardson goes in the top 5. Trading down to 6 and then watching Kalil go 3, Blackmon 4 and Claiborne 5 would be a disaster for the Vikes.

But, if they can work it to where they definitely get Claiborne or Blakmon and can add at least an early 2nd round pick for their trouble, I could see it as an option. They seem to have quite a few holes to fill and are likely looking at a multi-year rebuilding project in a loaded division.

Maybe all these smoke screens are getting to me or maybe I have gone down too far down the rabbit hole. Some people actually prefer Floyd to Blackmon. http://sportsillustr...vers/index.html

Floyd is from Minnesota and the Vikings currently have 3 starters who were former gold domers. Maybe the praise for Claiborne, Blackmon and Kalil are a way to raise the price to trade down but in reality Floyd is a player they want just as bad.

I not sure that I believe it either but it would a great stategy if the Vikings could get a boatload of picks to move down.

Can you explain what you are not sold on? I was sold on him 2-3 years ago, curious what you don't like. This kid is a beast in just about every sense of the word. I see the next Terrell Owens here.
It's really not Blackmon I'm not sold in. It's the rams going WR at the 6. With a very deep WR class, I think we should fill another hole at 6 and go WR in the 2nd. I would much rather have Kalil and the 3rd, 4th, or 5th WR at the top of the second. Or even Richardson at 6 and WR in the second or even better, trade up to the tail end of the 1st round if someone like Floyd slips to say 20.

It's really not Blackmon I'm not sold in. It's the rams going WR at the 6. With a very deep WR class, I think we should fill another hole at 6 and go WR in the 2nd. I would much rather have Kalil and the 3rd, 4th, or 5th WR at the top of the second. Or even Richardson at 6 and WR in the second or even better, trade up to the tail end of the 1st round if someone like Floyd slips to say 20.
While the draft is deep at WR, I expect Floyd to come off the board by 10 or so. After that you might see Wright and Hill gone by the end of the 1st and neither of which I think it worth trading up for considering what the price would be. If the Rams can't get Kalil, which appears to be the case, then Blackmon fits a huge need and opens up the rest of the draft for them.

I think the Vikings best hopes for trading down a bit is if a couple teams fall in love with either Richardson or Tannehill and feel they need to move up to get their guy.

The Vikings need help in so many areas that I think they can go in many directions. Maybe they do go Blackmon and load up on rookie OL later on?

As a Packer fan, I'm sure whatever they decide it will be the wrong choice. ;)

This would be an epic fail if Minn picked Blackmon over Kalil. Crazier things have happened of course, but this has to be a misinformation campaign to drive some other agenda IMO. Both Kalil and Blackmon may be the top player at their respective positions but that is about the only similarity they have. Kalil is head and shoulders above Blackmon as a prospect.
:goodposting:

I fear Floyd is another Michael Jenkins but with drinking issues.
Not to scoot the thread sideways but I think Floyd will emerge from this draft as being the obvious better WR in the draft between he and Blackmon. And something in my gut says that neither of them will be the best WR in this draft and I can't justify that with anything tangible, I admit.Its just that sometimes you see guys come out and you just KNOW. Like when Moss, Fitz, AJ (although he kept getting injured), Calvin came out. You just KNEW: give this some time and they will be great.But guys like Crabtree and Dez and Blackmon. I just see doubt. It just doesn't feel the same.

This Horrendous idea came out around the same time that Balldinger's Mock 1 came out.

Baldinger said that Michael Jenkins couldn't get open down the middle even with Jonathan Ogden at left tackle. Apparently, he could determine this after Jenkins and Ponder played a total of 5 games together. I must assume that in his mind that Kalil would be a great pick to the Rams because there receiving core is so much greater.

I don't understand why Blackmon would be more valuable than Kalil in a draft that is deep at receiver and very shallow at OT.
THERE IT IS !!!

Seriously, the pick at 2.03 could land a viable WR. Or if desperate, trade up in to the late first. Two or three second tier WRs still there to be had ... and I don't see the drop off from Blackmon\Floyd being so significant (versus some of that second tier) that justifies passing on a lock-up OT for the next 5+ years.

The ONLY way I trade down if I am the Vikings is if I get CLE to switch and pony up that late first too ... or their second round pick at a minimum. That way the Vikes still get Kalil then score a WR AND CB before by the early second round. I just don't see CLE being that desperate.

Last edited by a moderator:

While the draft is deep at WR, I expect Floyd to come off the board by 10 or so. After that you might see Wright and Hill gone by the end of the 1st and neither of which I think it worth trading up for considering what the price would be. If the Rams can't get Kalil, which appears to be the case, then Blackmon fits a huge need and opens up the rest of the draft for them.
Despite initial indications of "trouble", I'd add Jeffrey to your list too. Pending where they land, any one of the "second tier" (Wright, Sanu, Hill, Jeffrey, and Randel), could be outplaying (and outperforming in FF) the top two. DEEP WR pool this year.

THERE IT IS !!!

Seriously, the pick at 2.03 could land a viable WR. Or if desperate, trade up in to the late first. Two or three second tier WRs still there to be had ... and I don't see the drop off from Blackmon\Floyd being so significant (versus some of that second tier) that justifies passing on a lock-up OT for the next 5+ years.

The ONLY way I trade down if I am the Vikings is if I get CLE to switch and pony up that late first too ... or their second round pick at a minimum. That way the Vikes still get Kalil then score a WR AND CB before by the early second round. I just don't see CLE being that desperate.
Um ok, I'll ask.You throw out that Cleveland might trade the first round pick they got from Atlanta (pick #22) to move up one spot.

I'm curious. Who do you think that the Browns value soo much that they would make a deal where they give the Vikings their extra first round draft pick? Is Luck or Griffing going to fall to the third spot? If not then I'm really curious about your scenario where the Cleveland Browns would give up the 4th pick in this draft AND the 22nd pick.

Here's some background information for you.

The Browns have holes at WR and really could use a #1 WR since Mohammed Massaquoi and Josh Cribbs and Greg Little and Jordan Norwood haven't exactly lit it up and none of that group can be considered a legit #1 WR. The Browns lost RB Peyton Hillis and Monterio Hardesty has never come back from injuries so they could also use a stud RB. They cut ORT Tony Pashos and OG Eric Stienbeck and ORT has been a glaring hole for years so they need help on the O-Line and really need a sure-fire starting ORT.

The Browns hold three picks in the top 37 so they can fill all three of those needs in one fell-swoop with the first three picks.

Oh and in today's First Draft ESPN podcast with Kiper and McShay, Todd McShay said exactly the same thing. He said the Browns have holes at, WR, RB, and ORT. He said he wasn't high on Colt McCoy but he added that few QBs would look good with holes at, WR, RB, and ORT, and Todd McShay is right. Few QBs would stand a chance with those three huge talent holes on the offense.

SO go ahead and make the case as to why on God's green earth the Browns would blow the opportunity to fill all three holes and would trade a first round pick in this draft to move up ONE SPOT?

The Blackmon love is getting out of hand. How many WRs 6'1" or under get drafted in the top 10? Okay, now 6'1" or under that do not run in the 4.3s or better?

Blackmon is a good prospect and I expect him to break the trend and go in the top 10, but he is far from a top tier can't miss WR1 prospect and this draft is deep at WR.

'Wadsworth said:
The Blackmon love is getting out of hand. How many WRs 6'1" or under get drafted in the top 10? Okay, now 6'1" or under that do not run in the 4.3s or better?Blackmon is a good prospect and I expect him to break the trend and go in the top 10, but he is far from a top tier can't miss WR1 prospect and this draft is deep at WR.
Agreed. Blackmon is your pure example of people getting caught up in college production vs. actual NFL potential IMO. Many have been high on him for 2 years now, stating he is/was a better prospect than Green or Jones. Blasphemy! Blackmon is a very good prospect, but not elite. I disagree that the love is "getting out of hand." It's been this way for a long time now. Not much different than the Crabtree love if you ask me. I'll not, I think he's a better prospect than Crabtree. I wasn't insinuating they are the same. Just the love affair with their college production creating a false sense of confidence in their abilities as they translate to the NFL. Both are and were overrated.This is why Minn would be fools to miss out on a franchise caliber LT such as Kalil, a much harder position to fill and find in the NFL, to take Blackmon.

'Shutout said:
'Sabertooth said:
I fear Floyd is another Michael Jenkins but with drinking issues.
Not to scoot the thread sideways but I think Floyd will emerge from this draft as being the obvious better WR in the draft between he and Blackmon. And something in my gut says that neither of them will be the best WR in this draft and I can't justify that with anything tangible, I admit.Its just that sometimes you see guys come out and you just KNOW. Like when Moss, Fitz, AJ (although he kept getting injured), Calvin came out. You just KNEW: give this some time and they will be great.But guys like Crabtree and Dez and Blackmon. I just see doubt. It just doesn't feel the same.
I feel the exact same way. I couldn't put my finger on it, but this spells it out almost perfectly. I'm not so sure Floyd isn't the better of the two WR's, but both have question marks. Blackmon is not that big and lighting up the Big 12 isn't the same as the SEC. Floyd looks like the real deal more than Blackmon to me but likes the booze too much. I won't be upset if the Rams get Blackmon at 6, but would rather move back and get Floyd and an extra pick....

Users who are viewing this thread