What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Greatest baseball movie? (1 Viewer)

Doctor Detroit

Please remove your headgear
Eight Men Out by a ####### mile IMO, not close.

"Say it ain't so Joe," one of the best teams ever laying down, slave labor, media influence, human nature, and the fact that the Chicago White Sox are the most despicable sport franchise on American sports history.

Really not close. Joe Jackson not Pete Rose is the most irritating Hall of Fame exclusion, Chick Gandle pretty much represents every White Sux fan past or present: Dirty, unreliable and unsavory. ;)

If you say the Natural don't post in this forum anymore. You're a ####### Nancy Boy, a peter puffer. :bye:

"Bad News Bears"

If you say the Natural don't post in this forum anymore. You're a ####### Nancy Boy, a peter puffer. :bye:
Is there such a thing as a spoiler for a novel?The novel ends exactly opposite as the movie.

Roy strikes out. He is banned from the league. All of his records are expunged.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Encyclopedia Brown said:
'Raider Nation said:
"A League Of Their Own" is a great flick.
Never saw it. Couldn't bring myself to watch a movie about women playing baseball. Mistake?
Definitely.
:goodposting: I am extremely irritated by Madonna and Rosie O'Donnell. I mean to the point that I might consider murder if I could get away with it. And Lori Petty is so annoying in the movie, it's ridiculous.And all that being said, I still really like this movie a TON. Hanks is awesome.

I really like Field of Dreams even though it is pretty corny.

Bull Durham is decent.

Don't care what anyone says, Major League cracks me up. Especially Roger Dorn.

'Raider Nation said:
Never saw it. Couldn't bring myself to watch a movie about women playing baseball. Mistake?
Definitely.
:goodposting: I am extremely irritated by Madonna and Rosie O'Donnell. I mean to the point that I might consider murder if I could get away with it. And Lori Petty is so annoying in the movie, it's ridiculous.And all that being said, I still really like this movie a TON. Hanks is awesome.
Completely agree with this. O'Donnell, Ciccone, and Petty were unsavory to say the least. Lori Petty reminded me of Mark Hamill in Star Wars. Whiny.Tom Hanks made the movie, and Geena Davis was a calming voice amongst all the hot pokers in my ears from the 3 women mentioned above.

Bull Durham

61*

The Natural

Eight Men Out

Field of Dreams

Cobb

Bad News Bears

The Pride of the Yankees

Bang the Drum Slowly

Major League

guilty pleasure that is so bad that it is good....

Benchwarmers

Definitely.
Completely agree with this. O'Donnell, Ciccone, and Petty were unsavory to say the least. Lori Petty reminded me of Mark Hamill in Star Wars. Whiny.Tom Hanks made the movie, and Geena Davis was a calming voice amongst all the hot pokers in my ears from the 3 women mentioned above.
This is on MLB Network now. I missed the first half hour. Hopefully nothing too important.

a lot of great ones....

Bull Durham, Major League tops for me.

61* and Eight Men Out also great.

Natural, Field of Dreams and League of their Own all watchable

I do like the Rookie with Dennis Quaid and Moneyball.

Worth Mentioning

Cobb

Bad News Bears (original)

If you havent seen it try to find Soul of the Game IMDB

"Black baseball greats, Satchel Paige and Josh Gibson, vie to be the first afro-American major leaguer, only to see the outspoken rookie, Jackie Robinson, be chosen"

Delroy Lindo as Satchel Paige was fantastic.

I am especially looking forward to "42" when it comes out with Harrison Ford as Branch Rickey

Guilty Pleasures - Little Big League, Benchwarmers, For Love of the Game (vin scully rules!), Major League 3: Back to the Minors, Fever Pitch (i know shoot me now), Sandlot

Sadly, not sure what to do with Mr Baseball (tom selleck) and Mr 3000 (bernie mac). I will admit I watch them when on. Good thing dennis Haysbert didnt get type cast as a baseball player going from Major League to Mr Baseball to Major League 2 and 3.

I am sure there are some that were missed....

I saw "Trouble With the Curve" on TV this past weekend, and was entertained. Not the greatest, but a good watch on a cold winters evening.

Watched Moneyball again last night. It holds up. The computers and phones are comical, just a decade later. I still like having Baseball Reference pulled up when watching it.

There was a movie starring William Petersen from CSI:Original Recipe called Long Gone. It was based in the 50's, I think, and it was pretty funny. Saw it on HBO like 15 years ago. Would love to see it again and see how it holds up.

Eight Men Out by a ####### mile IMO, not close."Say it ain't so Joe," one of the best teams ever laying down, slave labor, media influence, human nature, and the fact that the Chicago White Sox are the most despicable sport franchise on American sports history. Really not close. Joe Jackson not Pete Rose is the most irritating Hall of Fame exclusion, Chick Gandle pretty much represents every White Sux fan past or present: Dirty, unreliable and unsavory. ;) If you say the Natural don't post in this forum anymore. You're a ####### Nancy Boy, a peter puffer. :bye:
I love The Natural, so suck my ####.It's like a baseball fairytale and what grown man doesn't like fairytales? :unsure:

There was a movie starring William Petersen from CSI:Original Recipe called Long Gone. It was based in the 50's, I think, and it was pretty funny. Saw it on HBO like 15 years ago. Would love to see it again and see how it holds up.
Good memory. :thumbup: A prime Virginia Madsen was in that, too.I liked the part when they had to pretend their new black ballplayer was from Venezuela so as not to offend the local fans. "He's not a Negro ... he's Venezuelan!".

You guys ever see The Bingo Long Traveling All-Stars and Motor Kings?

Based on the novel by William Brasher, The Bingo Long Traveling All-Stars and Motor Kings is set in the segregated south of 1939. African-American baseball pitcher Bingo Long (Billy Dee Williams), tired of being jerked around by the less-than-ethical managers of the Negro League teams, forms his own barnstorming ball club. His partner in this endeavor is black catcher Leon Carter (James Earl Jones). Though boycotted by powerful Negro League manager Sallison Porter (Ted Ross), the Bingo Long Traveling All-Stars and Motor Kings flourish, gaining a loyal fandom with every new game and cutting into the League's profits. Finally, Porter offers Long a deal: if the Motor Kings can win one big game with the Negro All-Stars, Long's team will be allowed to join the League. Also appearing in Bingo Long is Richard Pryor as a ballplayer who tries to break through the big-league color line by pretending to be everything from a Hispanic to a Native American named "Chief Tokohama"; if Pryor seems to disappear for long periods during the film, it's because his role was written to accommodate his many nightclub appearances. The producers originally wanted young Steven Spielberg to direct, but -- inspired by the success of Jaws -- he turned this down in favor of doing Close Encounters of the Third Kind. ~ Hal Erickson, Rovi

You guys ever see The Bingo Long Traveling All-Stars and Motor Kings?

Based on the novel by William Brasher, The Bingo Long Traveling All-Stars and Motor Kings is set in the segregated south of 1939. African-American baseball pitcher Bingo Long (Billy Dee Williams), tired of being jerked around by the less-than-ethical managers of the Negro League teams, forms his own barnstorming ball club. His partner in this endeavor is black catcher Leon Carter (James Earl Jones). Though boycotted by powerful Negro League manager Sallison Porter (Ted Ross), the Bingo Long Traveling All-Stars and Motor Kings flourish, gaining a loyal fandom with every new game and cutting into the League's profits. Finally, Porter offers Long a deal: if the Motor Kings can win one big game with the Negro All-Stars, Long's team will be allowed to join the League. Also appearing in Bingo Long is Richard Pryor as a ballplayer who tries to break through the big-league color line by pretending to be everything from a Hispanic to a Native American named "Chief Tokohama"; if Pryor seems to disappear for long periods during the film, it's because his role was written to accommodate his many nightclub appearances. The producers originally wanted young Steven Spielberg to direct, but -- inspired by the success of Jaws -- he turned this down in favor of doing Close Encounters of the Third Kind. ~ Hal Erickson, Rovi
:dot:

Just found a good nugget about the 1919 World Series:Greasy Neale who played RF for the Reds during the 1919 World Series, is the only person to have won a World Series and won an NFL Championship as a coach. Neal led the 1948 and 1949 Philadelphia Eagles to the NFL title.

Users who are viewing this thread