What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lofa Tatupu (1 Viewer)

The Comedian

Footballguy
I know this isn't exactly breaking news, but I haven't seen any discussion about it here. Whether that's because it's not noteworthy or not, I'm not sure, but only one way to find out.

The Falcons have agreed to terms on a two-year deal with linebacker Lofa Tatupu, 29, a three-time Pro Bowler and one-time All-Pro, on Saturday.The Falcons worked out Tatupu on Friday. The former Seattle linebacker did not play last season because of injury problems.The move to sign Tatupu opens the door for Curtis Lofton to leave the team. Lofton, a second round pick in 2008, has been the team’s starting middle linebacker for the last four years.Lofton racked up 577 tackles, including 387 solos tackles. He had four sacks and three interceptions.He will compete with second-year man Akeem Dent for the starting spot.The Falcons could use Dent in running situations and Tatupu on third downs. The Falcons were ranked 29th in the league in third-down defense last season. Tatupu has 10 career interceptions and is considered solid in pass coverage.Tatupu has a history of knee and concussion problems. He did not play in the league last season reportedly because of his knee problems. He also had visits with the Saints and the Titans.In 2009, he missed 11 games with a torn pectoral muscle. Tatupu, played USC, and was a second round pick (45th overall) in 2005.Tatupu has amassed 550 tackles with seven forced fumbles.
So - anything to see here?

Seems like added depth. Not sure they can rely on him as a starter if lofton leaves. Would bet they add another body if he's gone.

I'm very skeptical that Tatupu can handle 800 or more snaps. But I think it seals Lofton's fate and shows that the team isn't sold on Dent being ready to take over -- if that was ever the plan.

If the year off did help Tatupu's knees, I still think he's a base defensive player only. I'd put Nicholas higher on the nickel depth chart.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Jene Bramel said:
I'm very skeptical that Tatupu can handle 800 or more snaps. But I think it seals Lofton's fate and shows that the team isn't sold on Dent being ready to take over -- if that was ever the plan.If the year off did help Tatupu's knees, I still think he's a base defensive player only. I'd put Nicholas higher on the nickel depth chart.
so bump nicholas then? would he be a viable IDP starter then?

'Jene Bramel said:
I'm very skeptical that Tatupu can handle 800 or more snaps. But I think it seals Lofton's fate and shows that the team isn't sold on Dent being ready to take over -- if that was ever the plan.If the year off did help Tatupu's knees, I still think he's a base defensive player only. I'd put Nicholas higher on the nickel depth chart.
so bump nicholas then? would he be a viable IDP starter then?
LB3+ for Nicholas pending what happens over the next few weeks.

I know Akeem Dent was/is slated to be the starting MLB for Atlanta, but keep an eye on Mike Peterson. Dent is younger but also unproven, Peterson resigned, knows the defense and I think still has something left. Dent is injured atm, concussion I think, so he should be back, but keep an eye on this situation, Peterson may be a guy you can get late or pick up off the WW.

I know Akeem Dent was/is slated to be the starting MLB for Atlanta, but keep an eye on Mike Peterson. Dent is younger but also unproven, Peterson resigned, knows the defense and I think still has something left. Dent is injured atm, concussion I think, so he should be back, but keep an eye on this situation, Peterson may be a guy you can get late or pick up off the WW.
I do believe hes only a 2 down LB, he came of the field on 3rd down last night.

Users who are viewing this thread