What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2013 World Champion SF Giants Thread (1 Viewer)

Eephus

Footballguy
Barring any late surprises, the organization has decided to go into 2013 with essentially the same roster that won the championship. It's taken a lot of the intrigue out of the off-season but still leaves a number of questions:1. Can this club compete with a team that's spending $100M more on payroll?2. Which version of Lincecum and Zito will show up for the final years of their contracts?3. Can Brandons Belt and Crawford continue their development?4. Guess the Panda's weight5. Will Hunter Pence regress to the mean (in a good way)?6. Gregor Blanco/Andres Torres platoon in left. Really?7. Can Marco Scutaro continue to play like a 27 year old at age 37?8. What kind of long-term deal will Buster Posey get?9. Is the bullpen's success repeatable?10. Is there any help coming from the minors?My answers are:Yes, :shrug: , hopefully, mucho mas, probably, afraid so, don't count on it, big and probably soon, I trust Boch & Rags, yeah but for the Mets.

The Giants are signing second baseman Kensuke Tanaka, an All-Star and Gold Glover in Japan, to a minor-league contract and inviting him to spring training, industry sources said Wednesday.Tanaka, 31, is a career .286 hitter with a .356 on-base percentage and batted .303 with three homers and 32 RBIs in 114 games for the Nippon Ham Fighters, his season shortened by an elbow injury.He'd be pursuing a utility role. The Giants' top backup infielder is Joaquin Arias, and they signed journeyman Wilson Valdez last month, also to a minor-league deal. It's unlikely they'll re-sign infielder Ryan Theriot.
Seems like a useful guy to have in case we need to go fight some ham

Brandon Lyon is the next rumored coup for the genius.Lyon was pretty good last year and has been a closer before (albeit a shaky one). I'm for it if it's only one year.

So long Conor Gillaspie, it's been real. He lacks the arm to play third and the glove to play 2B/SS.Minor league reliever Jeff Soptic comes over from the White Sox in return. He's crazy wild with 6 BB/9 and 16 WP in 43 Sally League innings.

Tell me about Gregor Blanco. I was offered him in a deal for Rafael Betancourt in a deal. Betancourt is $13 and Blanco is $6. Is he going to play everyday? I saw they signed Andres Torres but what I have read says that he will be the 4th OFer.

Tell me about Gregor Blanco. I was offered him in a deal for Rafael Betancourt in a deal. Betancourt is $13 and Blanco is $6. Is he going to play everyday? I saw they signed Andres Torres but what I have read says that he will be the 4th OFer.
He'll be the long end of a LF platoon and bat near the bottom of the order. Unless it's an exceptionally deep league, there will be guys like him available as FAs all year long.

Lincecum gets rocked again this spring. Gives up 5 runs in 4 2/3 innings.

It was only spring, but his ERA was 10.57 :o :no:

Barring any late surprises, the organization has decided to go into 2013 with essentially the same roster that won the championship. It's taken a lot of the intrigue out of the off-season but still leaves a number of questions:1. Can this club compete with a team that's spending $100M more on payroll?2. Which version of Lincecum and Zito will show up for the final years of their contracts?3. Can Brandons Belt and Crawford continue their development?4. Guess the Panda's weight5. Will Hunter Pence regress to the mean (in a good way)?6. Gregor Blanco/Andres Torres platoon in left. Really?7. Can Marco Scutaro continue to play like a 27 year old at age 37?8. What kind of long-term deal will Buster Posey get?9. Is the bullpen's success repeatable?10. Is there any help coming from the minors?My answers are:Yes, :shrug: , hopefully, mucho mas, probably, afraid so, don't count on it, big and probably soon, I trust Boch & Rags, yeah but for the Mets.
so far I'm right on #3 and #8

Hate long term deals for catchers but Posey could retire tomorrow and it would be money well spent for the last couple of years.

Hate long term deals for catchers but Posey could retire tomorrow and it would be money well spent for the last couple of years.
I think some spring in the not too distant future, the Giants and Posey would both be well served to see how he does at 3B. He played SS in college and has enough arm for the hot corner. His bat would be a bigger plus at third that if he's moved to first when his catching days are over. A lot depends on the development of Sanchez and Andrew Susac.The Panda is signed for two more years. At this point, I'd be OK to let him walk out the door while he can still fit through it. I question whether he can stay at third long term.

Does Lincecum turn it around or is he done?

It's crazy how good he was just recently and now he seems to have lost something.

He's had one bad inning in each of his starts. He clearly doesn't have the velocity he once had but the fastball had more life today. His command of the fastball and especially slider isn't all there.

I'm not predicting an imminent return to CYA form but there's more to take away from today's start than his final line would indicate.

After losing 12 of 14 including last night's 16 inning marathon(on a two out error no less), the Giants have heaped on more misery by signing Jeff Francouer to a minor league deal.

After losing 12 of 14 including last night's 16 inning marathon(on a two out error no less), the Giants have heaped on more misery by signing Jeff Francouer to a minor league deal.
:thumbdown: Why?
This organization has always loved veteran high-character guys and Francoeur is that by all accounts. On a good day, he's a better LF option than Torres, Pill or Gillespie. On a bad day, he's awful.

I guess he's a cheap scratcher ticket. The Giants will only have to pay him the pro-rated minimum. I'm all for the move if he manages to get hot and help the team, as long as they don't sign him for next year.

Anna Benson's next husband

San Francisco Giants pitcher Chad Gaudin has been charged with lewdness after allegedly groping a woman on a gurney in a Las Vegas hospital, the Las Vegas Review-Journal reported Wednesday.

Police arrested Gaudin on Jan. 27 at Desert Spring Hospital after a 4:30 a.m. incident. Police say Gaudin, who was drunk, approached a 23-year-old woman lying on a gurney in the emergency room lobby. According to the report, Gaudin touched the woman’s breast and face and told her she was “gorgeous.” A witness then heard Gaudin say to the woman, “I will take care of you, don’t worry about them.” A paramedic was unable to stop Gaudin and hospital security held down Gaudin until the police arrived.

“I asked Gaudin several times how he ended up at the hospital and each time he told me that he didn’t know,” the officer wrote in the police report. “Gaudin appeared to be intoxicated. He had slurred speech, bloodshot eyes, trouble standing still, obeying commands, an odor of alcoholic beverages and couldn’t repeat his house number, where he lives, the same way twice in a row.”

The Clark County District Attorney Office’s has charged Gaudin with open a gross lewdness, a misdemeanor, the paper said. The arrest was not publicized at the time. According to the San Francisco Giants media guide, Gaudin has been married since 2011 and has a son. He lives in Henderson, Nev.

The Pence deal is almost certain to be an overpay by the end of the deal but I think it's OK for the next three years (hopefully) if he can remain about a 3 WAR player. He was worth $18M this year. Their offense would have been really ugly without Pence in the lineup this season. He doesn't seem like the kind of player who will age well but that's pure guesswork. One positive sign is that his swinging strike rate has been steadily improving, although that hasn't translated to BB% or OBP.

He's not a great player but the Giants need offense and it's going to be in pretty short supply this winter. I think it is an early indicator that salaries will continue to escalate for the immediate future. At the end of the day, the Giants have money to spend and they're competing with a rival with deep pockets. And however much we identify with our favorite teams, it's not my money. The price of tickets, hot dogs and beer are set by the market, Pence's salary has no impact on me.

Barring any late surprises, the organization has decided to go into 2013 with essentially the same roster that won the championship. It's taken a lot of the intrigue out of the off-season but still leaves a number of questions:

1. Can this club compete with a team that's spending $100M more on payroll?

2. Which version of Lincecum and Zito will show up for the final years of their contracts?

3. Can Brandons Belt and Crawford continue their development?

4. Guess the Panda's weight

5. Will Hunter Pence regress to the mean (in a good way)?

6. Gregor Blanco/Andres Torres platoon in left. Really?

7. Can Marco Scutaro continue to play like a 27 year old at age 37?

8. What kind of long-term deal will Buster Posey get?

9. Is the bullpen's success repeatable?

10. Is there any help coming from the minors?

My answers are:Yes, :shrug: , hopefully, mucho mas, probably, afraid so, don't count on it, big and probably soon, I trust Boch & Rags, yeah but for the Mets.
Well, they're not going to lose 90 which seemed inevitable a month ago.

The ballpark factors obscure it but the failure this year was almost entirely due to pitching. Bumgarner was the only reliable starter all year. Cain wasn't as bad as his record would indicate. He gave up too many HRs but he's always been a FB pitcher. His late season performances were strong so it doesn't appear to be anything physical. I'm still confident in Cain's ability to rebound in 2014; a lot of breaks didn't fall his way this year. I hope another team buys Lincecum's unadjusted numbers and the Giants move on. Zito and Vogelsong were just terrible. There is some SP talent in the system but may not be quite ready by April 2014. The bullpen really suffered from extended absences by Jeremy Affeldt and Santiago Casilla.

The offense wasn't all that bad. Posey, Scutaro and Sandoval regressed but Pence and Belt had strong seasons in their stead. The loss of Pagan really exposed the lack of OF talent to the point where Jeff Francoeur became a viable option. I'm glad Frenchie was a bust so the Giants weren't tempted to sign him for 2014. LF remains an obvious black hole. None of the late season callups distinguished themselves and Gary Brown endured a terrible year in the Coast League. Sabean must address the LF issue over the winter.

Users who are viewing this thread