What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Django Unchained -- new Tarantino film (1 Viewer)

dickey moe

Fingerpicker
Link

Jamie Foxx Joins Quentin Tarantino's Django Unchained

TV Guide - July 5, 2011 7:20 PM PDT

Story photo: Jamie Foxx Joins Quentin Tarantino's Django UnchainedJamie Foxx | Photo Credits: Earl Gibson III/Getty ImagesTV Guide

Jamie Foxx has joined Quentin Tarantino's upcoming film Django Unchained.

The Oscar winner will play the titular character, a freed slave who tries to rescue his long-lost love, Broomhilda, from a plantation owner, Calvin Candie (Leonardo DiCaprio), with the help of a German bounty hunter, who will be played by Inglourious Basterds' Christoph Waltz. Fellow Tarantino alum Samuel L. Jackson also stars as Candie's slave, Stephen, while Kerry Washington, Foxx's Ray co-star, is in talks to play Broomhilda.

Check out photos of Jamie Foxx

"I think, just to be able to work with Quentin Tarantino and Samuel Jackson, Leonardo DiCaprio, and to be able to tell a story that needs to be told," Foxx told CNN, explaining why he took the role. "If you're a fan of, I mean, you know — it's just amazing. It should be [an] amazing [thing]."

Tarantino originally offered the lead role to Will Smith, who turned it down. He then met with Idris Elba, Terrence Howard and Chris Tucker before casting Foxx, according to Variety.

Django Unchained is scheduled to hit theaters Christmas Day 2012.

Idris Elba >>>>>>>>>>> all day over foxx (blah)

Hopefully the film overcomes this, which it should, but damn Elba would've made so much sense.

Idris Elba >>>>>>>>>>> all day over foxx (blah)Hopefully the film overcomes this, which it should, but damn Elba would've made so much sense.
Agree 1000%. Foxx is upgrade over Smith in this roll though.

Idris Elba >>>>>>>>>>> all day over foxx (blah)Hopefully the film overcomes this, which it should, but damn Elba would've made so much sense.
Yeah, would've been sweet to see Stringer Bell in that role.

'Otis said:
How does Will Smith turn this down? Too vanilla for these characters I guess?
:goodposting: First thing I thought of too. Not a huge Will Smith fan, but I'd like to see what Tarantino could do with him.

How many repressed minority revenge fantasies can one man make? We've got your feminist revenge fantasy. We've got your Jewish revenge fantasy. And now we have your black revenge fantasy. Tarantino is going to have to move to Native Americans or gypsies next.

How many repressed minority revenge fantasies can one man make? We've got your feminist revenge fantasy. We've got your Jewish revenge fantasy. And now we have your black revenge fantasy. Tarantino is going to have to move to Native Americans or gypsies next.
Pretty sure he already bought the movie rights to that Australian fat kid that threw the little bully on the ground.

Stringer could have been made a super duper star with a role like this.

Why would he turn it down? I don't get it.

Also, Christoph Waltz seems like the type of actor who would elevate another actor as opposed to smothering him.

Not sure I get the Foxx hate. I like him in pretty much everything I've seen him in. And the guy does have an Oscar on the shelf.

Also, Christoph Waltz seems like the type of actor who would elevate another actor as opposed to smothering him.
Because he is doing "Pacific Rim" with Guillermo del Toro instead.

Read the original quote wrong. I thought that Elba "turned it down". Will Smith turned it down and the others were approached. My bad.Still...I'd rather do a QT film than some kind of monster movie.

Read the original quote wrong. I thought that Elba "turned it down". Will Smith turned it down and the others were approached. My bad.Still...I'd rather do a QT film than some kind of monster movie.
If you are an actor and those are your choices you are doing something right. Also it's hard to lose picking either.

Not sure I get the Foxx hate. I like him in pretty much everything I've seen him in. And the guy does have an Oscar on the shelf.
I liked him for a long time, but he's become completely narcissistic the past few years. I'm a narcissist, so it's gotta be bad coming from me. Most of his interviews become a showcase for him to constantly attempt to impress you. I still like him in some stuff. Loved him in "The Kingdom" (Underrated movie). He's as talented as there is, however now he knows it, and he has to make sure you're aware of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I liked him for a long time, but he's become completely narcissistic the past few years. I'm a narcissist, so it's gotta be bad coming from me. Most of his interviews become a showcase for him to constantly attempt to impress you. I still like him in some stuff. Loved him in "The Kingdom" (Underrated movie). He's as talented as there is, however now he knows it, and he has to make sure you're aware of it.
The Kingdom was pretty good. I don't watch many interviews so I haven't seen that side I guess. Still a certain level of narcissism goes with the territory doesn't it?

The Kingdom was pretty good. I don't watch many interviews so I haven't seen that side I guess. Still a certain level of narcissism goes with the territory doesn't it?
Yea, I'm not disagreeing with you, only offering speculation on the hate. Some yes, but he's almost as bad a Robin Williams.

Lot of hype for this movie. It sounds terrible IMO.
All Tarantino movies -- except maybe for Reservoir Dogs -- sound terrible if you just explain what they're about out loud. The first time he actually makes a bad movie, I'll PM you.
Wat?
a) Many Tarnatino movies sound stupid/bad if you just read a description of the plot.b) None of his movies have actually turned out bad. Even when they "sound" dumb, they work once he gets it on the screen.

c) So until I see a Tarantino movie that I consider "bad," he gets the benefit of the doubt from me.

Make sense now?

All Tarantino movies -- except maybe for Reservoir Dogs -- sound terrible if you just explain what they're about out loud. The first time he actually makes a bad movie, I'll PM you.
Death Proof was one of the worst films ever released. It's not even top 50% of straight to DVD releases.
Wrong. I can see where a person might not like Death Proof, and I don't claim that it should have won any academy awards, but it was a fun movie. Tarantino set out to make a campy drive-in movie with a kick-### car chase at the end. He succeeded. It's not "bad" by any means.

Death Proof was one of the worst films ever released. It's not even top 50% of straight to DVD releases.
.............in your opinion
It was awful.

Wrong. I can see where a person might not like Death Proof, and I don't claim that it should have won any academy awards, but it was a fun movie. Tarantino set out to make a campy drive-in movie with a kick-### car chase at the end. He succeeded. It's not "bad" by any means.
It was Tarantino's vain attempt to prove that he can write 'hard women' as well as he does for men. He failed.Zoe Bell's stunt work was impressive in what was ultimately a boring car chase.

It was Tarantino's vain attempt to prove that he can write 'hard women' as well as he does for men. He failed.Zoe Bell's stunt work was impressive in what was ultimately a boring car chase.
He already had Kill Bill and Kill Bill 2 under his belt. Pretty sure that wasn't the point (or at least the primary point).

Has to be lots of blood and gore in this one. Since we're dealing with slaves in the South, there's every reason to expect to see some good slave whipping. Jim11 should love this one.

Haters keep on hatin. It's a new Tarantino movie. I'm stoked.
It's not like I am boycotting his work.Death Proof was awful. That's all. I have enjoyed pretty much everything else he has done (jury's still out on Inglorious Basterds, need to see it again).

If you want to boycott narcissism, you might as well stop watching movies altogether.

Users who are viewing this thread