What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Severe Storms - 2016 (1 Viewer)

TheIronSheik

SUPER ELITE UPPER TIER
Link

No snow, but this weekend has the potential to be the worst outbreak of severe storms of 2014. Stay safe.

A multiple-day outbreak of severe thunderstorms, including tornadoes, is set to begin this weekend. The outbreak is likely to be the worst of the season so far and may end up being one of the top severe weather events for the season.

While the 2014 severe weather season has gotten off to a rather quiet start, a strong surge in severe weather is forecast to begin this weekend.

People will need to keep a close eye on the weather, watch for rapidly changing weather conditions and pay careful attention to severe weather and tornado warnings as they are issued.

Now is the time to review tornado safety measures with your family.

According to AccuWeather Enterprise Solutions Senior Vice President Mike Smith, "A reason for extra concern this weekend is that tornadoes have been nearly non-existent so far and people tend to forget what they have learned from year to year."

A number of the storms, including ones capable of producing tornadoes, will occur after dark, adding to the danger.

Last edited by a moderator:
This has the potential to be a pretty bad tornado outbreak. I'm kind of surprised there hasn't been more news about it.

Where are they forecasting these?

Edit: according to linked map, from Texas/Mexico border through Dallas up through Oklahoma into Kansas, Nebraska up to Omaha.

Where are they forecasting these?

Edit: according to linked map, from Texas/Mexico border through Dallas up through Oklahoma into Kansas, Nebraska up to Omaha.
Yes. Weekend will be the lower plains. The storms will then move east to the southeast and stall out. Next week's storms are still too far out to really make accurate predictions, but they could be bad, too. But the storms for Saturday and Sunday throughout the Texas / Oklahoma area could be bad. What makes them very bad is that there is potential for them to hit at night.

Tornadoes are bad enough, but a lot of forecasting of tornadoes and their paths still relies on sight. Add to this that if people are sleeping, they may not get the warnings they need.

Ok I have been watching the weather track these storms for over an hour now. On a friday no less. Does this mean I am old?

This has the potential to be a pretty bad tornado outbreak. I'm kind of surprised there hasn't been more news about it.
Have not watched much...but have seen local weather here in Nashville talking about it and the couple of local WX guys I follow on twitter have been talking about it since at least yesterday.

Those are typically pretty good follows on twitter that are easy to keep up with when storms start firing up.

Good time to check your insurance policy, make sure you home is insured to value, and that you have sump pump coverage, and all you renters really need renters insurance

Yeah, we've got our eyes on that one here in KC. Should be entertaining.
My ex-girlfriend in KC and her family found my CT reaction to what was apparently an everyday summer storm with laughter. I was horrified. You guys get some sick weather, dude.

I'm ready to hide in the basement, and they're cracking up.

Here in Florida, we get some pretty intense electrical storms, and other times we get enough rain that we could practically swim through the air, but even those aren't too bad. I've yet to experience a true hurricane here, though I've been through some tropical storms.

Here in Florida, we get some pretty intense electrical storms, and other times we get enough rain that we could practically swim through the air, but even those aren't too bad. I've yet to experience a true hurricane here, though I've been through some tropical storms.
The one year where all the hurricanes kept tracking thru the gulf and then cutting across Florida (like Charley in Punta Gorda) was pretty bad. They were TS strength by the time they hit here.

Closest I've come to tornadic activity is waterspouts spawned by afternoon t-storms.

Where in Florida are you?

Where in Florida are you?
SE Florida, near West Palm. The worst electrical storm I've seen, however, was near Orlando a few years back. The wife and I were driving home from a Tennessee vacation with my family, and we actually saw the clouds from near Gainesville, but we didn't get into them until passing Orlando. The lightning was so bad it was like driving with a strobe light on next to me, and the rain was heavy enough that it slowed people down to about 20 mph on the Turnpike. This was all at night, too, which made it that much worse.

Big one hit about 20 miles up the road (Arkansas). Interstate closed both directions, tractor-trailers overturned, lots of property damage, at least one fatality.

A serious Midwestern/Plains thunderstorm looks absolutely ####### Biblical rolling across the horizon. In AZ growing up we had some awesome lightning storms and the monsoon season is neat, but go to OK or IA or Kansas or MO in the late spring...unreal.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2012/8/23/1345741545069/Shelf-cloud-Minnesota-USA-001.jpg

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2012/8/23/1345741851915/Supercell-just-north-of-G-007.jpg
yeah, some of those storms can get really ugly.

great pics!

I remember having lunch at Hooters with FD&S when one of the worst tornadoes in TN history hit about 30 miles from us. He shielded me from the storm.

Thanks for sharing, haven't read that yet. Got pretty nuts last night, luckily we were spared. Others not so lucky, and looks like we are going to get hammered again tonight. Schools letting out at 1.

Northern Tupelo, MS got demolished.
Southern Birmingham, AL got demolished

Northern LittleRock, AR got demolished

Three BIG hits very close to some decent sized towns and cities (some smaller than others)... but this was a particularly devastating series of twisters.

Here in Memphis we got some insane rain and some pretty serious winds...couple smaller twisters around the city but nothing too close. :unsure:

3C said:
More storms today.
There's thinking that today could be worse than yesterday.
Yeah...wouldn't be surprised here.

They talked about here in Nashville we were "saved" yesterday because it stayed cloudy and rained and never really warmed up to get the severe stuff.

Its been sunny since this morning and warming up all day...with what is brewing down in Louisiana, Mississippi, and on the TN boarder right now near Memphis, could be a long afternoon/evening.

Feel bad for those preparing for a second day of storms. Stay safe.

Watching the news coverage of this, they are using blackhawk helicopters to search for survivors. Wondering if those RC quad copters would be a more effective tool. You can deploy them quicker, and get them closer to the ground. Plus you could have a fleet of 1000 for the cost of one blackhawk.

Looks like the East is going to have the potential for heavy, flooding rains this Thursday through Saturday. Local amounts could be up around 6 inches of rain. This would be similar, or even bigger, to the event we had a couple weeks ago where flooding occurred all over the Mid Atlantic.

The cause is a slow moving front that will have a lot of moisture being pulled up from the Gulf. At the same time, moisture associated with a tropical system moving onto the east coast will provide the second blow, of this one-two punch. Earlier, this system was thought to have the potential to become a Tropical Storm. The system never organized enough to form, but it still has all of the moisture associated with it.

For SE PA, this looks like it will be an all day Friday event, starting possibly Thursday night and going into late Friday night, and possibly Saturday early morning. At this time, models differ on the timing of this event ending. Either way, this will be a soaker.

I, for one, will most likely be working from home Friday.

My family in Michigan had a few tornado warnings yesterday, and more is apparently expected today. From what I hear, everyone's okay, so that's good.

Users who are viewing this thread