What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tecmo Bowl (NES) (1 Viewer)

ghostguy123

Footballguy
Tecmo, or Tecmo Super Bowl for regular NES..................I challenge any and all, any time, any place..........haha

I shoulda put this in the "what are you good at" thread (and will).

I have never met an equal in my entire life at that game (either game).

I know there has to be a ton of you in here who used to (maybe still are) be Tecmo Bowl junkies. What teams are you best with in each game??

San Fran and the Giants are probably my top two teams for each game.

Haha, the last handful of times I randomly come across someone who spits a big game (seriously, not jokingly), I have handily smoked them.

LOVE that game. As classic as classic gets.

Tecmo Super Bowl. Christian Okoye cannot be tackled.
Love the wrinkle from the first to the second, the EXCELLENT condition. Okoye, wow, it's like a cheat code.

Thing is though, the Chiefs still arent that good to play with even if you get him in Excellent. Not enough at other positions and bad QB

I really do want to get into some kind of legit tournament, or hell, just a party with 20 people who are actually really good at the game.

I would take a few days of work for that kinda convention. Dont even care if I win, would just be a huge blast.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tecmo, probably the Giants. One unstoppable play, and LT running around is ridiculous.

Love how EVERY covered pass is an INT, lol

Tecmo, probably the Giants. One unstoppable play, and LT running around is ridiculous.

Love how EVERY covered pass is an INT, lol
Giants were very good and had an excellent XP rush. The Bears were the best with the 2 plays they had with crossing routes. Read the top receiver to see if the defense called the right play. If he did, you could still hit the crossing route. If not, you could hit the top receiver going deep. Also had a fast RB to mix in a run.

49ers had an almost unstoppable crossing route play. Just had to read the key receiver at the top of the screen, and a fast MLB to drop back in coverage.
The Bears "unstoppable" play was easier to intercept cause the TE was slower. Same with the other play and the WR. Hard to intercept but very doable.

The 49ers was very tough cause that WR is very fast.

The Giants was very hard to intercept cause he would run right to the sideline, and you rarely have a defender there. You should also make sure you snap the ball from the top hash.

The Bears had 2 plays with crossing routes. Very tough to stop even with the DEF calling the correct play. Just have to roll the QB left (top of screen) for a better angle. One of the plays, if the DEF isn't called the same, keep the cursor on the crossing guy to suck in the MLB then switch to the top receiver going deep uncovered at the last second.
Oh, I know which play/s you are talking about. Lot of practice stopping those.

If I know which guy you are throwing to, I can INT it maybe 1 in 4 times, and I don't pretend to know which guy you are throwing to, I just guess, and chances are I get an INT on the drive.

I also don't pick those plays that often, cause inevitable people pick the other plays hoping for bigger chunks of yards, and SACK.

Oh, and one little trick to stop the 49ers shotgun crossing route. When you pick that play, use a slow defensive lineman and get to the spot. He won't run as far out of the way with that stupid artificual intelligence, and you can INT it more often.

It's still hard, but I have found it is easier.

The QB roll out is the key. I don't remember ever getting sacked. I have the QB sprinting away from that fast NYG DL every play.
Another thing to note is that if someone has got you with that play, and you can't stop it that game, you gotta get the clock in your favor and make sure eyou have one more possession than they do.

Sometimes, gotta let em score quick and make it look real, haha. Start cussing and calling your guys idiots.

Also gotta recognize if they are trying to do it to you, and get 1st downs of 10-11 yards, no big plays.

One INT and I am gravy though, and generally dont even need that.

Whoa I might contest that world champ statement. I was a monster on that game. I scored over 100 goals in a game vs computer naturally.

Tecmo Super Bowl. Christian Okoye cannot be tackled.
Love the wrinkle from the first to the second, the EXCELLENT condition. Okoye, wow, it's like a cheat code.

Thing is though, the Chiefs still arent that good to play with even if you get him in Excellent. Not enough at other positions and bad QB
Pfft. I've gpt two words for Christian Okoye: Steve. Atwater.

http://youtu.be/fvPxzQBIafo

I lived in the dorms when Super Techmo Bowl was popular. One time we had a season with every single team was assigned to a guy in the dorm. The guy running it had a schedule posted outside his door of when you had to play your game. It was good times.

I lived in the dorms when Super Techmo Bowl was popular. One time we had a season with every single team was assigned to a guy in the dorm. The guy running it had a schedule posted outside his door of when you had to play your game. It was good times.
We did it for college football on ps2. Too bad not enough guys liked the tecmo in 2002

Tecmo Super Bowl.

You can correctly call every pass play and I will still get the ball off.

The two best Teams are SF and BUF.

I can beat you.

I don't remember SF being that awesome. From what I remember, their offense was easy to predict based on their pre snap movement or formation.

I am the same way with Double Dribble, but that game isnt good enough to warrant its own thread.
I've also never been beaten at Double Dribble. My opponents always had some stupid rules that I had to play with, like I couldn't steal the ball or shoot threes. I'd still win. I can't claim I'm as good at Tecmo, but I always enjoyed it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not the first one, but the second one (I think) was the one with the full NFL schedule. Is that right? Whichever one had that was one of my favorite games of all time. As much as I loved playing the actual game, I eventually fell more in love with letting the computer play the entire schedule. I would keep track of all of the division winners and make charts and graphs detailing the progress of each team. I probably simulated out over a hundred or so seasons and had notebooks full of records and stats.

It was the beginning of my love for sports simulation games. Speaking of which, I don't even think they have them anymore. :(

I was pretty unstoppable with SF. I would throw the deep ball to Rice/Taylor. Run the play on 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th downs.Touchdowns always happen.

Same here. Techmo was HS, but Super Techmo was freshman year of college. We had about 4 full seasons where we would draft teams and go through it. 4th season I was undefeated and essentially unstoppable with the Eagles ... Randall was just stupid. Play the deep pass, he runs. Play it safe and guard the line and the short pass, he chucked it deep. Try to rush him, he'd just run around you.

Then, in week 14, some idiot trips over the console and season = ERASED. That was the end of our full on Tourney play. But for a couple months we had schedules, you missed your game (even if scheduled during class) then your opponent played the computer and therefor usually or always won. The chicks in our dorm were so tired of it, because we were essentially Techmo hermits, that they put up signs for their "new organization":

WAT: WOMEN AGAINST TECHMO BOWL.

Good times.

A long time ago, Assani tried to organize a Tecmo Super Bowl league here in the FFA. We got through the draft and never played any games.

We did a Tecmo Superbowl tournament when I was in undergrad...this was probably circa 1998. There was one guy named Chuck who had never played before. He ended up with the Eagles. He received the opening kick-off 5 yards deep in his end zone and just stood there. He ended up getting tackled and they ruled it a safety (no touchbacks in Tecmo). We asked him what the heck he was doing, and he said, "I wanted a touchback."

We called him "Touchback Chuck" for the next 3 years.

I dominate at the old NHL Hockey on the Sega Genesis...Canucks w/ Pavel Bure. I played out a full season with a buddy of mine when we were in high school.

Apparently there is a bug in the logic where if you score over 100 points (not goals, but like win/loss points for standings), it ignores the 1 in 100 and resets to zero. I won every game and missed the playoffs b/c of that dang bug.

Anyone want to also do some type of tournament for Baseball Stars?
Best game ever for the NES.

A buddy of mine played a bunch of seasons over the course of one summer head to head. I always picked power hitters, and he always picked something else trying to beat me. Never succeeded.

A buddy of mine played a bunch of seasons over the course of one summer head to head. I always picked power hitters, and he always picked something else trying to beat me. Never succeeded.
power hitters are very valuable in that league, but if you give me 5 87-90 max pitchers and reasonably good defenders in the key spots you'll be lucky to score 2-3 runs in a game

A long time ago, Assani tried to organize a Tecmo Super Bowl league here in the FFA. We got through the draft and never played any games.
I remember that, I was in it. Pretty sure I had the Eagles in the draft. I know there's people out there better than me at Tecmo, but any competent player with the Eagles is gonna be tough to beat.

I remember that, I was in it. Pretty sure I had the Eagles in the draft. I know there's people out there better than me at Tecmo, but any competent player with the Eagles is gonna be tough to beat.
Back in college I never lost a game with them, could be beat if I had to use other teams though.

I also remember Assani saying he went 19-0 with all 28 teams, using original playbooks and lineups and not diving through for easy sacks with the nose tackle.

I decided to take on that challenge but only finished it with 15 teams. I could definitely win with some more teams if I stuck with it, but it would be really hard to do with the Colts and their ridiculously awful defense.

Back in college I never lost a game with them, could be beat if I had to use other teams though.
I did manage to beat my brother (who's better than me at Tecmo) while he was the Eagles and I was the Oilers. I had a pretty sweet defensive game plan to neutralize Randall. I beat him in the regular season, but he got revenge in the Super Bowl when he figured out that my Randall strategy left me powerless to stop Keith Byars from running for 5 yards a pop.

power hitters are very valuable in that league, but if you give me 5 87-90 max pitchers and reasonably good defenders in the key spots you'll be lucky to score 2-3 runs in a game
True, but the way we did it, we started a season with teams starting from scratch. We had bad teams overall, but I had one guy closest to being able to bump up to big time power pretty easy. That means early wins, and making your team better through upgrades faster. His starter team with "good defense" can't stop a power hitter, and his "good pitching" teams didn't start with enough stamina to shut down a power hitting team.

If you're talking fully developed teams, yes, good pitchers with stamina can counter power hitters.

True, but the way we did it, we started a season with teams starting from scratch. We had bad teams overall, but I had one guy closest to being able to bump up to big time power pretty easy. That means early wins, and making your team better through upgrades faster. His starter team with "good defense" can't stop a power hitter, and his "good pitching" teams didn't start with enough stamina to shut down a power hitting team.

If you're talking fully developed teams, yes, good pitchers with stamina can counter power hitters.
ok i agree with this. With a young team the HR was the easiest way to score and HR's came early and often and if you could get them it was far better than playing small ball... and unless you have 15 stamina with a few choices you can't even use a pitchers complete array of talent. use a few curves, drop balls, and fast balls and even a 15 pitcher would burn up in 3-4 innings.

In fact I found it absolutely key in early innings to take pitches just to burn up an opposing team's top pitcher unless they had total depth rendering that strategy useless.

on a mature team with full development i could jam people inside and pretty well eliminate the long ball. lot of 2-1 types of games... often with the runs as solo shots

Tecmo Super Bowl.

You can correctly call every pass play and I will still get the ball off.

The two best Teams are SF and BUF.

I can beat you.
Of course you can get the ball off, and some of the plays are ALMOST unstoppable like in Tecmo 1 in that respect, but with passes not always going where they are supposed to, plus guys being able to jump up for INTs, ummmm, you arent completing all of them no matter which team you are, unless you are playing against an idiot.

SlaX said:
ghostguy123 said:
I am the same way with Double Dribble, but that game isnt good enough to warrant its own thread.
I've also never been beaten at Double Dribble. My opponents always had some stupid rules that I had to play with, like I couldn't steal the ball or shoot threes. I'd still win. I can't claim I'm as good at Tecmo, but I always enjoyed it.
Top of the screen 3. 99%. Love it.

Users who are viewing this thread