What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Would you deny your faith to keep from getting your head cut off? (1 Viewer)

Would you convert or willingly lose your head?

• I have a strong faith in my current religion and would refuse to convert and accept the consequences

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • I have a strong faith in my current religion, but would convert out of fear of the consequences.

Votes: 10 11.8%
  • I have no religious faith, and would refuse to convert to maintain my "no religion is good reli

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I have no religious faith, and would convert out of fear of the consequences.

Votes: 56 65.9%

• Total voters

On The Rocks

Evil Conservative
I don't know how these things happen, but from what I've heard these Muslim extremists, would give a captor the opportunity to convert to the Muslim faith prior to cutting someone's head off.

Whether that is true or not I have no idea, but let's just say that is the case for the sake of this poll,...and they capture you.

They say to you, "convert or lose your head".

What would you do?

I'd absolutely tell them I believe in their (or anyone elses) fairy god father if it would save my life. :non-religious:

Pretty sure it would be impossible for me to "convert" to some religion since I'm an atheist. But if it meant not getting my head cut off I could fake the motherloving #### out of it.

I’ve claimed to be religious just to make it through family holidays. I’d certainly do it to save my head.

Technically, it's the same God as that of Christianity.....so yeah, I'd have no problem affirming faith in the 3.0 version of him.

Stick to your guns people....they're gonna kill you anyway :shrug:
Easy to say when you don't have a knife to your throat.
Even easier to say when you know it doesn't matter what you say. they're gonna kill you anyway. Do people really believe situations like this are about converting people to the "right" religion?
You won't be thinking that clearly. "Hey, it doesn't matter anyway so i'm just going to speak the truth." More like you will be saying anything they want you to say.

Seems like there's something in between strong faith and no faith. That's where I am, but I'd convert. Not looking to get my head chopped off. Adapt and improvise.

Even easier to say when you know it doesn't matter what you say. they're gonna kill you anyway. Do people really believe situations like this are about converting people to the "right" religion?
You won't be thinking that clearly. "Hey, it doesn't matter anyway so i'm just going to speak the truth." More like you will be saying anything they want you to say.
I want to lay a huge bet down on superbowl 50....who's going to win that game? TIA.

A guy was just released. He'd be dead if the hypothetical happened prior to his release. You can have your guns, I'll take my life thanks. Wgaf what you say to these people? Or are you worried that God is going to judge you if you played along?

I want to lay a huge bet down on superbowl 50....who's going to win that game? TIA.
What

I'm not sure a guy who two posts ago was 100% convinced that fictional people would kill someone regardless of what that person did in a made-up situation should be chiding others about their assumptions.

I think the main point here is that you would be dieing because of your religion, as opposed to for your religion.

So, couldn't you denounce your religion verbally, and seek forgiveness from God afterwards? I think he'd understand, no?

If you don't, it's 100% you lose your head.

If you do, it might be 99%.

It's worth that 1%

It's worth that 1%
this thread is confusing.

in the Subject, it's- convert OR lose your head. no grey area. In the OP, it's- convert prior to losing your head and then he throws in the "or" for good measure.

I feel like the old timer during the bank robbery in Raising Arizona.

It's worth that 1%
this thread is confusing.

in the Subject, it's- convert OR lose your head. no grey area. In the OP, it's- convert prior to losing your head and then he throws in the "or" for good measure.

I feel like the old timer during the bank robbery in Raising Arizona.
:lmao: Well, which is it, young feller? You want I should freeze or get down on the ground?

Here is the way I see it. Assuming that I was a believer...

Life is a gift from God. I'm pretty sure he'd understand if you denied him or blasphemed or put another god before him to protect your life/gift.

If not, God is pretty much a tool.

I'm not sure a guy who two posts ago was 100% convinced that fictional people would kill someone regardless of what that person did in a made-up situation should be chiding others about their assumptions.
I am comfortable making this assumption based on plenty of real world examples. I'm not out on a tiny little twig branch here :shrug:

I am comfortable making this assumption based on plenty of real world examples. I'm not out on a tiny little twig branch here :shrug:
This is a silly argument, and your position is absurd, as plenty of other people have pointed out. Nobody's gonna "stick to their guns" about Jesus over "sticking to their guns" about not dying, even if they likely will die anyway. It's nonsense.

However, silly as it may be, it's still Friday and I have nothing better to do So to be clear- your argument is that no captor who was ever threatened with something along the lines of "convert or die" has ever converted and subsequently been spared, and therefore you could not possibly have anything to gain by agreeing to convert? You sure you're comfortable on that limb?

Last edited by a moderator:
However, silly as it may be, it's still Friday and I have nothing better to do So to be clear- your argument is that no captor who was ever threatened with something along the lines of "convert or die" has ever converted and subsequently been spared, and therefore you could not possibly have anything to gain by agreeing to convert? You sure you're comfortable on that limb?
It must be Friday to go from what I said to this...well done. I've never researched how many captors have been "converted" by those they have captured.

As to what I actually said, yes, I remain comfortable as I don't speak in the absolutes you are trying to attribute to me. You finding an example of the contrary doesn't negate the examples that do support it.

It must be Friday to go from what I said to this...well done. I've never researched how many captors have been "converted" by those they have captured.

As to what I actually said, yes, I remain comfortable as I don't speak in the absolutes you are trying to attribute to me. You finding an example of the contrary doesn't negate the examples that do support it.
Ah, I see. So when you should "stick to your guns because they're gonna kill you anyway," what you actually meant was that you should "stick to your guns because there's a pretty good chance they're gonna kill you anyway"? Sure, that makes sense. Good advice.

Who're we talkin' here? ISIS/ISIL?

Have news for you - they're going to behead you anyway, and they're going to film it, and they're going to forever show you begging pleading screaming what they want to hear, and then they're going to put your head in a basket.

So - if - (big if) - you truly believe in what you believe in and if involves the afterlife, or your legacy to the world, you might as well stick to your guns and tell them to GF themselves, that you're an American and they can go skrew a goat too boot before you give them the satisfaction.

:gang2: :drive: :ninja: :ph34r: :football: :hot: :headbang: :wolf:

Last edited by a moderator:

Have news for you - they're going to behead you anyway, and they're going to film it, and they're going to forever show you begging pleading screaming what they want to hear, and then they're going to put your head in a basket.

So - if - (big if) - you truly believe in what you believe in and if involves the afterlife you might as well stick to your guns and tell them to GF themselves, that you're an American and they can go skrew a goat before you give them the satisfaction.

Then maybe they'll just decide to cut you up one limb/appendage at a time.

I wouldn't deny my faith, but I didn't know how to answer the poll, as I don't have faith in a religion.

Pretty much every Christian who practices religion considers my beliefs to be heresy.

So - if - (big if) - you truly believe in what you believe in and if involves the afterlife you might as well stick to your guns and tell them to GF themselves, that you're an American and they can go skrew a goat before you give them the satisfaction.

Then maybe they'll just decide to cut you up one limb/appendage at a time.
You mean the guys that cut off hands for stealing and begging, those guys?

Users who are viewing this thread