What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What is the best mattress? (1 Viewer)

Popcorn Eating Guy

Footballguy
I've been married 18 years and we've had two mattress purchases during that time. I've felt ripped off with both purchases. I can only afford 2k or less, but really want to get the right one this time. What matress is the best??

I can't help but would be interested in the answer. I bought one last year and it sinks in the middle so me an the wife are always rolling to the middle. I'm sore everyday when I get up.

It depends. Some people like mattresses that are harder and firm where as others like them soft. Personally, my favorite is a pillow-top King mattress. It feels like you are sleeping on a big cloud.

It depends. Some people like mattresses that are harder and firm where as others like them soft. Personally, my favorite is a pillow-top King mattress. It feels like you are sleeping on a big cloud.
Which is why I love our "Sleep Number". My wife and I both get exactly the firmness we want froom the same mattress. Had it for 15 years and will never buy anything else.BTW, tons of old threads on this. Try searching thread titles for "mattress".

Which is why I love our "Sleep Number". My wife and I both get exactly the firmness we want froom the same mattress. Had it for 15 years and will never buy anything else.BTW, tons of old threads on this. Try searching thread titles for "mattress".
same here. :)

We bought a bed from Bed In A Box several months ago and we could not be happier with it. Here is a review on my purchase of this mattress from another thread. Link

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't help but would be interested in the answer. I bought one last year and it sinks in the middle so me an the wife are always rolling to the middle. I'm sore everyday when I get up.
After one year??? Wow. Heck, some form of warranty should cover that!

We bought a bed from Bed In A Box several months ago and we could not be happier with it. Here is a review on my purchase of this mattress from another thread. Link
hack bought one too and seemed to really like it. good to hear another positive review. Their prices are good. And I'm really getting tired of waking up with a sore back from our 10 or so year old pillowtop mattress.

We are in the same situation as you. Been married 17 years, three mattress purchases, and unhappy with all. We've been researching for a while now. Consumer Reports says most people are happiest with Tempur-pedic -- 60% "would buy again" rate, as opposed to the second happiest group, the Select Comfort group with a 39% "buy again" rate. That's quite a jump, as the rest of the groups were also in the 30s. We've also heard great things about the new latex mattresses, so we're looking into those.

After one year??? Wow. Heck, some form of warranty should cover that!
Yeah, They told me it can sag up to an inch and a half before they will replace it. Problem is it doesn't really sag but when you lay day there is very little support in the middle.

I work in sales for a large Furniture/Bedding dealer AND I have a bad back. I will be buying a new mattress in the near future and I try them out all the time.

It seems that the Tempurpedic would be the best for my back problems. I can see where it could take some getting used to, but it offers a lot of support.

And you can get one in easily in your price range.

I say this in all the mattress threads, so I'll repeat it here.

Most mattress sellers and their warranties are utter crap. Buying an expensive bed is no guarantee that it will last and they do not honor the warranty if it falls apart. Mattress makers make the same mattress under 50 different names, so using consumer reports or other review sites does not work in finding a decent one, either.

So I buy mine at Costco online. I think I pay 6-800, get a great mattress and if it ever fails (been 3 years, no probs), I know I can bring it back for a refund. I think when a place has an iron-clad warranty like Costco odes, they make sure they sell quality items, so there are not many returns.

I've worked for a large mattress retailer for about 8 years now (one that was ranked fairly highly in a recent Consumer Reports article), and I will tell you - be weary of any consumer reports-type articles telling you what mattress you should own. The bottom line is that backs are finicky. What works for one may not work for another. Therefore, you need to make sure you shop somewhere that has a comfort guarantee, in writing. Unfortunately, our industry is full of people with less than honest intentions. Therefore, get everything in writing. Costco, for obvious reasons is a decent place to buy a mattress, but don't expect any type of help in selecting a bed, or recomendations based on your sleeping problems.

As far as the warranties are concerned, again, our industry has some shady people in it. It's too bad, but if you take it up with the manufacturer then you'll definitely get some service. Also, I know that some people get a bad impression of a warranty because they don't understand what they cover, and why they cover what they do. A sag has to be X inches to be considered a defect. The reason for that is foams conform to your body if they are doing what they are supposed to. Seriously, if you have a mattress that's not just rock hard and has no give, if you sleep on a mattress for 6 months and there is no impression, then call the store you buy the bed from. Something is wrong. The 2 exceptions to this rule (and it makes zero sense to me why) seems to be Sleep Number Bed, and Tempurpedic. Even the other brands of the all foam beds I've sold had this issue (Sealy, Simmons, and some cheaper brands as well). I don't know why these 2 brands are like this, but they are. I have my own reservations about the Sleep Number bed, but that's more because my wife and I like to, um, cuddle, and it was difficult for us to do this on that bed. However, they are a very good product as far as durability, support, and general comfort go.

Feel free to ask me any questions, I'll try to check this thread regularly, I have a ton of knowledge about beds, and I might as well use it for good, as opposed to the evil that is trying to make a buck by slingin' springs.

Cos, just a question, what happened to make you feel that way about the retailers themselves? Again, I know that there's some - issues in our industry, but the warranties are the manufacturer's and a lot of times the retailer just processes them. I'm sure you were wronged somewhere, and that's too bad, but I'm in the mood for a story - care to share?

Big fan of my Tempurpedic Celebrity bed. If you can find a floor model, you may be able to get it in the 2g range. I wouldn't go with the lower level tempur beds, though - the pillow top on the Celebrity is the difference between a soft but firm bed, and a board that eventually sinks in when you've been on it long enough.

Got a Simmons Beautyrest King bed from Sleepy's back in June for $1100 (when we first spoke to the salesman, the price he quoted us was $3600. After about 1.5 hours, we had him down to $1100. Had I waited another day, probably would've gone under a grand but I just wanted the thing at that point). Almost bought a Kingsdown/Sleep to Live model for $2500 a week earlier but thankfully found some bad reviews and backed out of it.

Our model is pretty soft, but not so much that we sink into it. It's the best sleep I've ever had, and I have a bad back/neck. I think the biggest difference for me was finally getting good quality pillows, something most people don't factor in quite enough.

And now the FFA officially has a mattress guy. :goodposting:

Once we get a tailor and a cobbler, we're officially the greatest forum on the intarwebs.

I'd like to hear more about pillows and how to select them. I prefer pillows that are fairly flat and firm, while my wife prefers the big puffy ones. Looks funny as hell when the bed is made because my two pillows are about half the height of hers. What/who makes a good pillow?

:sehr0n:

17 y/o King Mattress on it's way out... we are in the market.

We've looked at the posturpedics, but they seem so 'soft'. I have a really bad back, and that just doesn't seem like the right choice. That being said, I'm a back/side sleeper, and all the guides say I should sleep on a 'plush' mattress as opposed to a 'firm' one.

There's a reason we haven't got a new one in 17 years... PITA!

Big fan of my Tempurpedic Celebrity bed. If you can find a floor model, you may be able to get it in the 2g range. I wouldn't go with the lower level tempur beds, though - the pillow top on the Celebrity is the difference between a soft but firm bed, and a board that eventually sinks in when you've been on it long enough.
Generally speaking I agree with you. However, the Rhapsody bed isn't a pillowtop, and feels amazing (to me, again, comfort is damn subjective)
Can't understand why people would pay $1,000+ for half a mattress.
:lmao:
I'd like to hear more about pillows and how to select them. I prefer pillows that are fairly flat and firm, while my wife prefers the big puffy ones. Looks funny as hell when the bed is made because my two pillows are about half the height of hers. What/who makes a good pillow?
There are a few factors to consider. One is how you sleep (back, side, stomach). Side sleepers generally need a pillow with a higher profile, because when you're on your side you have a bigger gap between the mattress and your neck, which needs to be supported. Also, how firm/soft your mattress is plays a role in the decision as well. If your mattress has a very soft pillowtop on it, then you sink down into the pillowtop further, and need a thinner pillow. Ultimately, I think these along with comfort (firm or soft) are going to be the decision makers for you. If you are looking for a very durable pillow, Tempurpedic makes a great pillow, that lasts forever. My wife has had hers for about 3 years now, and still talks about how much she likes it. They're a little firm for me, but I have a latex pillow that I love. I've actually had it longer than my wife's had hers, and it still looks perfect. Look for pure Talalay latex, and you'll be good. Manufacturer isn't all that important, as most of the big names contract it out. If you find one manufactured (not branded) by Latex International, though, they're generally considered the best latex maker around (and they're made in the USA)

I tried one of those 4" Temperpedic mattress tops a few years back and found it to be too hot to sleep. Anyone else have this problem?

Why don't you just put one of hers on top of one of yours on each side?

I tried one of those 4" Temperpedic mattress tops a few years back and found it to be too hot to sleep. Anyone else have this problem?
Same here. I slept in a few in hotels and found them very uncomfortable because of the heat. Anyone considering one should find a hotel that has them and check them out before making the purchase. They have lots of fans, but they certainly aren't for everyone.

I like buckwheat hull pillows. They are shapeable, and provide good support, cradling the head naturally. However, they aren't found commonly. Try a back store, or a specialty bedding shop.

:lmao:
I'm talking about the mattress industry's recent trend of making mattresses that are only finished on one side and cannot be flipped.
Don't you mean "do not have to be flipped?"
They can't be flipped. What have they done to mattresses that makes them "not have to be flipped"? IMO it's a marketing scam that makes it more palatable to buy a mattress that can't be used on both sides.

:unsure:
I'm talking about the mattress industry's recent trend of making mattresses that are only finished on one side and cannot be flipped.
Don't you mean "do not have to be flipped?"
They can't be flipped.
Why would you flip a mattress that doesn't have to be flipped?

CrossEyed said:
Christo said:
Why would you buy a mattress that will wear out twice as fast because it can't be flipped?
I think you're missing the point. You don't have to flip it because it doesn't wear out as fast.

CrossEyed said:
Christo said:
Why would you buy a mattress that will wear out twice as fast because it can't be flipped?
I think you're missing the point. You don't have to flip it because it doesn't wear out as fast.
I disagree, but not a big deal. I bought one from OMF because they still make both sides of the mattress.

Got a Simmons Beautyrest King bed from Sleepy's back in June for $1100 (when we first spoke to the salesman, the price he quoted us was $3600. After about 1.5 hours, we had him down to $1100. Had I waited another day, probably would've gone under a grand but I just wanted the thing at that point). Almost bought a Kingsdown/Sleep to Live model for $2500 a week earlier but thankfully found some bad reviews and backed out of it.Our model is pretty soft, but not so much that we sink into it. It's the best sleep I've ever had, and I have a bad back/neck. I think the biggest difference for me was finally getting good quality pillows, something most people don't factor in quite enough.
You can negotiate them like crazy. I had a similar experience to this.I got a Simmons Beautyrest Black.Entered the store and it was listed at $5500. I walked out with it for $1000.

CrossEyed said:
Christo said:
Sorry, but you're wrong. The new style mattresses, tempurpedic, latex mattress by strearns and foster, etc. don't need flipped and willoutlast just about any other. I don't know where you got the argument that it will wear out twice of fast, but that's just untrue.99% of mattresses today cannot be flipped. That's the truth.A mattress that doesn't need flipped or rotated that lasts just as long and longer. What's not to like. :shrug:

CrossEyed said:
Christo said:
I disagree, but not a big deal. I bought one from OMF because they still make both sides of the mattress.
The Original Mattress Factory is one of the last to make mattresses that are two sided. You'll have to flip that mattress over and over during the time you own it to help it's retain its shape because it contains a huge amount of cotton batting, which will flatten as you lay on it.

Also, dust mites absolutely love cotton batting, that's a fact.

Most higher end bedding/furniture stores won't carry anything with cotton batting for those reasons.

OMF has a gimmick going, i'll give them that

Sorry, I know it's been a while, but my work shut down our internet usage, and, well, I had to figure out a way to get my blackberry to tether. Here goes:

Any interesting comments about Tony Little's micropedic 4-chamber pillows for $45.00?
I have no experience with these, but I have heard very good things from more than one customer. People seem to like them, but I cannot recommend them or recommend against them.
Absolutely, and it tends to be more of an issue with the toppers than the whole mattress. The reason is that, quite frankly, foam doesn't breathe on it's own. Their mattresses now have airflow systems that help with this, but that is not something that is used in the toppers.

Why don't you just put one of hers on top of one of yours on each side?
One of the best pieces of advice I can give on this probably won't help you now. I said earlier that the mattress you're on makes a big difference. Therefore, I'd recommend getting them from where you buy the mattress, at the same time you get a mattress. You can't take your mattress to the pillow store, so it generally works well this way.
:popcorn:
This has been discussed, obviously, and you don't agree, which is fine. However, the data is that single sided mattresses sag less. When Simmons (the company that started the trend to no flip mattresses) began making them this way, they were looking for a way to reduce sagging. Simmons had one of the biggest problems with sagging in the industry (I did, and still do sell them, and think they're a good product, but there were a couple years in there that they had problems). When Simmons went to the single sided design, and NOTHING else different in the bed, their problems with sagging cut in half. AND their prices for comparable products went down, about $100 in a queen size.Since then, pretty much everyone has gone to the no flip design because less sagging = more profit, higher consumer satisfaction, etc.Also, the other thing that this has done is allow higher quality foams in less expensive bedding, which also helps with durability, and gets you a better night's sleep. The reason for this is simple. If you're making a 2 sided mattress, and you want to sell this mattress for, say, $1000. After your markup, retailer markup, cost of coils, fabric, etc., you have $X to spend on the foams and fibers in the mattress. Therefore you have to use .5X cost of foams in each side. Being able to use that entire Dollar amount on one side allows you to get higher quality products in a lower retail price product.

I like buckwheat hull pillows. They are shapeable, and provide good support, cradling the head naturally. However, they aren't found commonly. Try a back store, or a specialty bedding shop.
I have used these before and LOVE them! Too bad we don't carry them anymore, and you're right they're difficult to find. Top Class, IMO
Got a Simmons Beautyrest King bed from Sleepy's back in June for $1100 (when we first spoke to the salesman, the price he quoted us was $3600. After about 1.5 hours, we had him down to $1100. Had I waited another day, probably would've gone under a grand but I just wanted the thing at that point). Almost bought a Kingsdown/Sleep to Live model for $2500 a week earlier but thankfully found some bad reviews and backed out of it.Our model is pretty soft, but not so much that we sink into it. It's the best sleep I've ever had, and I have a bad back/neck. I think the biggest difference for me was finally getting good quality pillows, something most people don't factor in quite enough.
You can negotiate them like crazy. I had a similar experience to this.I got a Simmons Beautyrest Black.Entered the store and it was listed at $5500. I walked out with it for $1000.
I've heard that about Sleepy's, but never had to compete with them, so take it for what it's worth. That being said, $5500 is a laughable price for a BR Black bed, imo. We carried them for a while - good, firm bed. I couldn't imagine that much though. Also, for $1000 you got a hell of a deal. The least expensive one we ever carried we couldn't sell for less than about $1800.

Users who are viewing this thread