What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Young DEs for Dynasty (1 Viewer)

voiceofunreason

Footballguy
Are there any under the radar guys that could be good players next year? I've struggled all year to find a difference maker in one of my IDP leagues.

You will need to give more info on scoring, etc.

Also look at how the DE position has scored so far for the season. For my league, (balanced scoring) our DE breakdown is basically Watt, JPP and then everyone else is bunched together. That bunch of 20-25 DE's average between 6 and 8 pts per week. Not enough for me to worry about. I have 4 DE's (start 2) and try to play matchups against week OL's

Not sure if it has sustained, but I know a month ago Derrick Morgan was either leading/among the league leaders in QB hits/hurries. Wasn't turning them all into sacks, obviously, but he was at least getting to the QB. Usually good things happen for guys that get into the backfield frequently.

Carlos Dunlap is another guy like that. He's a rotational dude in Cincy, which is maddening at times, and fights nagging injuries a lot, but he is typically around the QB a ton. In obvious matchups, or in games where he gets to play a little more than normal, he can be an absolute monster.

Both these guys are 23, I think, so they fit the angle from an age standpoint too.

Might be too late for many, but Brandon Graham was my speculative add in October. Special play maker in college, but battled health and inconsistency issues. Got hurt in camp before his rookie year, so this is his first real shot at the job, looked like the best Eagles DE to me early on so I added him and one of the reasons they dumped Babin was to get Graham more reps. He took advantage last night!

From the Week 9 Reading the Defense:

Shallow Leagues (Less than 20 DE rostered)Carlos Dunlap (CIN) – Dunlap was listed here last season. There's no denying that he's been a perennial tease and a major disappointment to those who invested in his DL2+ tier price tag in both 2011 and 2012. But there's again reason for optimism. Dunlap was ticketed for a larger role this year before an MCL sprain slowed his preseason momentum. His primary rotational partner, Robert Geathers, isn't signed for next season while 2013 is a contract season for Dunlap. And, while he's continued to have difficulty closing in the pocket at times, Dunlap remains one of the league's best pressure per snap pass rushers. I'm not going to push him as the next Jason Pierre-Paul breakout candidate this year, but he still belongs at the top of the list of defensive ends with elite breakout potential. There's a "fool me once" (or twice, in Dunlap's case) argument here, but I'm stubborn. Given a choice between Dunlap and the next three names on this list, I'm rostering Dunlap without a second thought.Intermediate Leagues (20-35 DE rostered)I'm not as excited about this group as I was last year's group, which included Robert Quinn, Da'Quan Bowers, Kroy Biermann and Cam Jordan. Each of them had at least one near-elite skill. Don't cut an established vet with a DL2 floor (i.e. Jeremy Mincey, Chris Clemons, Greg Hardy, etc.) for one of these guys, but they deserve consideration as DE4 hold through the offseason if you have the space.Andre Branch (JAX) – On my earliest combined rookie draft board, I ranked Branch as the most attractive defensive end target (Chandler Jones moved ahead of him after the Patriots showed their hand early in the preseason). But I noted that he wasn't the same caliber prospect that Jabaal Sheard was the year before. He projected as a potential DL3 primarily due to the volume of snaps expected given the shallow Jacksonville depth chart. Branch wasn't as impressive as I thought he'd be, but I'm not running from my pre-draft observations yet. It often takes young defensive ends (Branch is just 23) multiple seasons to grow into an every-down NFL role. Branch shouldn't be considered a bust yet.Quinton Coples (NYJ) – Coples was dominant during Senior Bowl practices and had me taking the comparisons to Julius Peppers seriously – until I watched his college game tape. Poor pad level and inconsistent pass rush angles were evident and reason for concern that his dominance against so-so college offensive tackles would not translate to the NFL. That's mostly been the case in New York, though it warrants mentioning that his role hasn't been statistically friendly. But he's worth a look as a DL4 stash for the same reasons I'd advocating considering Branch. And there's a chance that the Jets could change coaches and defensive philosophies to a more fantasy favorable system in 2013.Olivier Vernon (MIA) – Vernon has gradually seen his playing time increase over the first half of the season. He's been inconsistent, but better in run support than I expected and flashed the ability to zone drop in nickel packages. Jared Odrick has been too good against the run to drop out of the base defense, but Vernon will continue to see enough snaps to have matchup value in balanced and big play scoring systems.I considered adding Da'Quan Bowers to this group, but I wouldn't roster him until he shows that his knee condition and Achilles' injury haven't robbed him of too much of his explosiveness. He wasn't very impressive before the Achilles tear and he's not been impressive in his first two games back.Deep Leagues (35+ DE rostered)Shea McClellin / Corey Wootton (CHI) – Wootton has been listed here in previous seasons and has quietly been a near-dominant member of a very good Chicago defense. If the Bears choose not to re-sign 32-year old Israel Idonije this offseason, Wootton could find himself in a 650+ snap role next year. McClellin has been the very definition of hot-and-cold this year. When he's good, he's been an extremely effective pass rusher. But he's provided little against the run in subpackages and can be handled by better offensive linemen. He needs more seasoning, but the pass rush upside is tremendous.Brandon Graham / Vinny Curry (PHI) – If you've read this column for years, you know I'm stubborn. I'd argue that my stubbornness is based in objectivity, but I recognize that I don't easily let go of what my eyes tell me. And I still think that Graham deserves a much bigger role on the Philadelphia defensive line. When healthy – and I know that's been an issue – Graham has been the best all-around defensive end on the roster behind Trent Cole. He plays the run well and he's a better pass rusher than most think. I'd have him higher on the list (as I have in past seasons) if Jason Babin wasn't signed through 2015 and Curry wasn't waiting in the wings as well. Curry isn't as stout against the run as Graham, but he's a more explosive pass rusher. I like him a lot, too, but it's hard not to worry that one will limit the fantasy upside of the other.Watch List OnlyFrank Alexander (CAR) – Alexander wasn't on my pre-draft radar, so I was suspicious when Carolina took him early in the fourth round over players I liked better. I don't think he'll ever be more than a 400-500 snap player, but he's been a better pass rusher than I expected. He's not worth rostering yet, but should be on speed dial if a larger role opens up due to injury.Malik Jackson (DEN) – I'm not sure how long the Broncos can continue to ask Elvis Dumervil and Derek Wolfe to play every down. I think they'd eventually like to see Wolfe become a full time penetrating defensive tackle. If a spot in the defensive end rotation opens, keep an eye on Jackson. He deserved better than his fifth round draft selection.Jared Crick (HOU) – No one will confuse Crick with J.J. Watt, but his game resembled that of Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, Dwan Edwards and other productive 5-technique ends before a torn pectoral muscle ended his senior season. Antonio Smith is signed for 2013, but Crick will likely see more rotational snaps next year.
I forgot to add Tyrone Crawford to the list, but added a note on him last week after his strong Thanksgiving game.This was part of a five week series in the column between Weeks 9 and 13. Tony Borbely has started a similar series in the Buy Low, Sell High column and John Norton uses his Week 17 column exclusively to look at the next year's prospects.

Last edited by a moderator:
Might be too late for many, but Brandon Graham was my speculative add in October. Special play maker in college, but battled health and inconsistency issues. Got hurt in camp before his rookie year, so this is his first real shot at the job, looked like the best Eagles DE to me early on so I added him and one of the reasons they dumped Babin was to get Graham more reps. He took advantage last night!
Read earlier this afternoon that Graham spoke with the new Iggles D-coordinator and they will not be using their wide-9 defensive formation any longer. i would have to assume that they'll revert to a traditional 4-3 scheme. it may be a really good thing for graham and/or curry but it will interesting to see how they adjust/perform over the final weeks of the season.

Read earlier this afternoon that Graham spoke with the new Iggles D-coordinator and they will not be using their wide-9 defensive formation any longer. i would have to assume that they'll revert to a traditional 4-3 scheme. it may be a really good thing for graham and/or curry but it will interesting to see how they adjust/perform over the final weeks of the season.
Definitely better for Graham, more stout vs. the run, similar to what he was successful doing in college. Might not be the same case with Curry. Not as strong vs. the run and may neutralize him as a pass rusher. We'll see. Jene's take is still real though, if both are successful they are likely to eat into each other's production because it isn't like Cole is going anywhere.

Shallow Leagues (Less than 20 DE rostered)Carlos Dunlap (CIN) – Dunlap was listed here last season. There's no denying that he's been a perennial tease and a major disappointment to those who invested in his DL2+ tier price tag in both 2011 and 2012. But there's again reason for optimism. Dunlap was ticketed for a larger role this year before an MCL sprain slowed his preseason momentum. His primary rotational partner, Robert Geathers, isn't signed for next season while 2013 is a contract season for Dunlap. And, while he's continued to have difficulty closing in the pocket at times, Dunlap remains one of the league's best pressure per snap pass rushers. I'm not going to push him as the next Jason Pierre-Paul breakout candidate this year, but he still belongs at the top of the list of defensive ends with elite breakout potential. There's a "fool me once" (or twice, in Dunlap's case) argument here, but I'm stubborn. Given a choice between Dunlap and the next three names on this list, I'm rostering Dunlap without a second thought.Intermediate Leagues (20-35 DE rostered)I'm not as excited about this group as I was last year's group, which included Robert Quinn, Da'Quan Bowers, Kroy Biermann and Cam Jordan. Each of them had at least one near-elite skill. Don't cut an established vet with a DL2 floor (i.e. Jeremy Mincey, Chris Clemons, Greg Hardy, etc.) for one of these guys, but they deserve consideration as DE4 hold through the offseason if you have the space.Andre Branch (JAX) – On my earliest combined rookie draft board, I ranked Branch as the most attractive defensive end target (Chandler Jones moved ahead of him after the Patriots showed their hand early in the preseason). But I noted that he wasn't the same caliber prospect that Jabaal Sheard was the year before. He projected as a potential DL3 primarily due to the volume of snaps expected given the shallow Jacksonville depth chart. Branch wasn't as impressive as I thought he'd be, but I'm not running from my pre-draft observations yet. It often takes young defensive ends (Branch is just 23) multiple seasons to grow into an every-down NFL role. Branch shouldn't be considered a bust yet.Quinton Coples (NYJ) – Coples was dominant during Senior Bowl practices and had me taking the comparisons to Julius Peppers seriously – until I watched his college game tape. Poor pad level and inconsistent pass rush angles were evident and reason for concern that his dominance against so-so college offensive tackles would not translate to the NFL. That's mostly been the case in New York, though it warrants mentioning that his role hasn't been statistically friendly. But he's worth a look as a DL4 stash for the same reasons I'd advocating considering Branch. And there's a chance that the Jets could change coaches and defensive philosophies to a more fantasy favorable system in 2013.Olivier Vernon (MIA) – Vernon has gradually seen his playing time increase over the first half of the season. He's been inconsistent, but better in run support than I expected and flashed the ability to zone drop in nickel packages. Jared Odrick has been too good against the run to drop out of the base defense, but Vernon will continue to see enough snaps to have matchup value in balanced and big play scoring systems.I considered adding Da'Quan Bowers to this group, but I wouldn't roster him until he shows that his knee condition and Achilles' injury haven't robbed him of too much of his explosiveness. He wasn't very impressive before the Achilles tear and he's not been impressive in his first two games back.Deep Leagues (35+ DE rostered)Shea McClellin / Corey Wootton (CHI) – Wootton has been listed here in previous seasons and has quietly been a near-dominant member of a very good Chicago defense. If the Bears choose not to re-sign 32-year old Israel Idonije this offseason, Wootton could find himself in a 650+ snap role next year. McClellin has been the very definition of hot-and-cold this year. When he's good, he's been an extremely effective pass rusher. But he's provided little against the run in subpackages and can be handled by better offensive linemen. He needs more seasoning, but the pass rush upside is tremendous.Brandon Graham / Vinny Curry (PHI) – If you've read this column for years, you know I'm stubborn. I'd argue that my stubbornness is based in objectivity, but I recognize that I don't easily let go of what my eyes tell me. And I still think that Graham deserves a much bigger role on the Philadelphia defensive line. When healthy – and I know that's been an issue – Graham has been the best all-around defensive end on the roster behind Trent Cole. He plays the run well and he's a better pass rusher than most think. I'd have him higher on the list (as I have in past seasons) if Jason Babin wasn't signed through 2015 and Curry wasn't waiting in the wings as well. Curry isn't as stout against the run as Graham, but he's a more explosive pass rusher. I like him a lot, too, but it's hard not to worry that one will limit the fantasy upside of the other.Watch List OnlyFrank Alexander (CAR) – Alexander wasn't on my pre-draft radar, so I was suspicious when Carolina took him early in the fourth round over players I liked better. I don't think he'll ever be more than a 400-500 snap player, but he's been a better pass rusher than I expected. He's not worth rostering yet, but should be on speed dial if a larger role opens up due to injury.Malik Jackson (DEN) – I'm not sure how long the Broncos can continue to ask Elvis Dumervil and Derek Wolfe to play every down. I think they'd eventually like to see Wolfe become a full time penetrating defensive tackle. If a spot in the defensive end rotation opens, keep an eye on Jackson. He deserved better than his fifth round draft selection.Jared Crick (HOU) – No one will confuse Crick with J.J. Watt, but his game resembled that of Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, Dwan Edwards and other productive 5-technique ends before a torn pectoral muscle ended his senior season. Antonio Smith is signed for 2013, but Crick will likely see more rotational snaps next year.
I forgot to add Tyrone Crawford to the list, but added a note on him last week after his strong Thanksgiving game.This was part of a five week series in the column between Weeks 9 and 13. Tony Borbely has started a similar series in the Buy Low, Sell High column and John Norton uses his Week 17 column exclusively to look at the next year's prospects.
I'm in a real deep league so nobody is there but the guys on your watch list. I tried to trade for Graham early in the year and couldn't get him to move. Seems like every week the other guy has enormous DE performances and puts up 40 pts while I'm getting 10 to 14 pts.

Shallow Leagues (Less than 20 DE rostered)

Carlos Dunlap (CIN) – Dunlap was listed here last season. There's no denying that he's been a perennial tease and a major disappointment to those who invested in his DL2+ tier price tag in both 2011 and 2012. But there's again reason for optimism. Dunlap was ticketed for a larger role this year before an MCL sprain slowed his preseason momentum. His primary rotational partner, Robert Geathers, isn't signed for next season while 2013 is a contract season for Dunlap. And, while he's continued to have difficulty closing in the pocket at times, Dunlap remains one of the league's best pressure per snap pass rushers. I'm not going to push him as the next Jason Pierre-Paul breakout candidate this year, but he still belongs at the top of the list of defensive ends with elite breakout potential. There's a "fool me once" (or twice, in Dunlap's case) argument here, but I'm stubborn. Given a choice between Dunlap and the next three names on this list, I'm rostering Dunlap without a second thought.

Intermediate Leagues (20-35 DE rostered)

I'm not as excited about this group as I was last year's group, which included Robert Quinn, Da'Quan Bowers, Kroy Biermann and Cam Jordan. Each of them had at least one near-elite skill. Don't cut an established vet with a DL2 floor (i.e. Jeremy Mincey, Chris Clemons, Greg Hardy, etc.) for one of these guys, but they deserve consideration as DE4 hold through the offseason if you have the space.

Andre Branch (JAX) – On my earliest combined rookie draft board, I ranked Branch as the most attractive defensive end target (Chandler Jones moved ahead of him after the Patriots showed their hand early in the preseason). But I noted that he wasn't the same caliber prospect that Jabaal Sheard was the year before. He projected as a potential DL3 primarily due to the volume of snaps expected given the shallow Jacksonville depth chart. Branch wasn't as impressive as I thought he'd be, but I'm not running from my pre-draft observations yet. It often takes young defensive ends (Branch is just 23) multiple seasons to grow into an every-down NFL role. Branch shouldn't be considered a bust yet.

Quinton Coples (NYJ) – Coples was dominant during Senior Bowl practices and had me taking the comparisons to Julius Peppers seriously – until I watched his college game tape. Poor pad level and inconsistent pass rush angles were evident and reason for concern that his dominance against so-so college offensive tackles would not translate to the NFL. That's mostly been the case in New York, though it warrants mentioning that his role hasn't been statistically friendly. But he's worth a look as a DL4 stash for the same reasons I'd advocating considering Branch. And there's a chance that the Jets could change coaches and defensive philosophies to a more fantasy favorable system in 2013.

Olivier Vernon (MIA) – Vernon has gradually seen his playing time increase over the first half of the season. He's been inconsistent, but better in run support than I expected and flashed the ability to zone drop in nickel packages. Jared Odrick has been too good against the run to drop out of the base defense, but Vernon will continue to see enough snaps to have matchup value in balanced and big play scoring systems.

I considered adding Da'Quan Bowers to this group, but I wouldn't roster him until he shows that his knee condition and Achilles' injury haven't robbed him of too much of his explosiveness. He wasn't very impressive before the Achilles tear and he's not been impressive in his first two games back.

Deep Leagues (35+ DE rostered)

Shea McClellin / Corey Wootton (CHI) – Wootton has been listed here in previous seasons and has quietly been a near-dominant member of a very good Chicago defense. If the Bears choose not to re-sign 32-year old Israel Idonije this offseason, Wootton could find himself in a 650+ snap role next year. McClellin has been the very definition of hot-and-cold this year. When he's good, he's been an extremely effective pass rusher. But he's provided little against the run in subpackages and can be handled by better offensive linemen. He needs more seasoning, but the pass rush upside is tremendous.

Brandon Graham / Vinny Curry (PHI) – If you've read this column for years, you know I'm stubborn. I'd argue that my stubbornness is based in objectivity, but I recognize that I don't easily let go of what my eyes tell me. And I still think that Graham deserves a much bigger role on the Philadelphia defensive line. When healthy – and I know that's been an issue – Graham has been the best all-around defensive end on the roster behind Trent Cole. He plays the run well and he's a better pass rusher than most think. I'd have him higher on the list (as I have in past seasons) if Jason Babin wasn't signed through 2015 and Curry wasn't waiting in the wings as well. Curry isn't as stout against the run as Graham, but he's a more explosive pass rusher. I like him a lot, too, but it's hard not to worry that one will limit the fantasy upside of the other.

Watch List Only

Frank Alexander (CAR) – Alexander wasn't on my pre-draft radar, so I was suspicious when Carolina took him early in the fourth round over players I liked better. I don't think he'll ever be more than a 400-500 snap player, but he's been a better pass rusher than I expected. He's not worth rostering yet, but should be on speed dial if a larger role opens up due to injury.

Malik Jackson (DEN) – I'm not sure how long the Broncos can continue to ask Elvis Dumervil and Derek Wolfe to play every down. I think they'd eventually like to see Wolfe become a full time penetrating defensive tackle. If a spot in the defensive end rotation opens, keep an eye on Jackson. He deserved better than his fifth round draft selection.

Jared Crick (HOU) – No one will confuse Crick with J.J. Watt, but his game resembled that of Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, Dwan Edwards and other productive 5-technique ends before a torn pectoral muscle ended his senior season. Antonio Smith is signed for 2013, but Crick will likely see more rotational snaps next year.
I'm in a real deep league so nobody is there but the guys on your watch list. I tried to trade for Graham early in the year and couldn't get him to move. Seems like every week the other guy has enormous DE performances and puts up 40 pts while I'm getting 10 to 14 pts.
Same here, except the top DE after Watt scores roughly 10 points per week while top available DEs score 5. So not a whole lot of incentive to keep more than a few DL on my roster.

'MAC_32 said:
'saintfool said:
Definitely better for Graham, more stout vs. the run, similar to what he was successful doing in college. Might not be the same case with Curry. Not as strong vs. the run and may neutralize him as a pass rusher. We'll see. Jene's take is still real though, if both are successful they are likely to eat into each other's production because it isn't like Cole is going anywhere.
I cut Cole earlier this season as I was fed up with his (lack of) production. He's still a free agent, but so is Graham. Now that Babin is no longer there, are either dynasty grabs at this point, even with them changing their defensive scheme away from the wide 9?

'MAC_32 said:
'saintfool said:
I cut Cole earlier this season as I was fed up with his (lack of) production. He's still a free agent, but so is Graham. Now that Babin is no longer there, are either dynasty grabs at this point, even with them changing their defensive scheme away from the wide 9?
Boy, I'm stubborn, but I haven't cut Cole anywhere yet (although my leagues are pretty deep IDP leagues), but my feeling is that he's earned the chance to see what happens with the new DC.

'MAC_32 said:
'saintfool said:
Boy, I'm stubborn, but I haven't cut Cole anywhere yet (although my leagues are pretty deep IDP leagues), but my feeling is that he's earned the chance to see what happens with the new DC.
So you've still got Cole (at his age) over Graham (at his age)?

So you've still got Cole (at his age) over Graham (at his age)?
Proven vet with an off year vs untested young guy?Granted none of my leagues are so shallow that either is available (and I hold one or the other or both in a few) but given a choice I'd grab Cole before Graham. Unless my team was in serious rebuild mode.

Since the topic is about Young DE's for dynasty, I don't see how Cole vs Graham is particularly relevant. Graham has shown serious flashes, and is exactly the type of under-the-radar acquisition that pays huge dividends.

That's a pretty decent description of Carolina a few years ago, with Peppers anchoring one side and Charles Johnson and... uh... the guy they traded a 1st round pick so they could draft in the second round. I grabbed both of them in various leagues, and it worked out great where I got Johnson, not so well where I got the other guy.ETA: Everette Brown.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jake Bequette, 3rd round pick of Belicheck that has been inactive all year. Long term I like him opposite of Chandler Jones if your league is sack heavy.

He's not exactly young, but I really like the way Michael Bennett plays and he seems to only be getting better. Very quick on the snap, solid motor.

Robert Quinn (22 years old) has good pass rush ability and the willingness to chase down plays with his athleticism.

How would you guys rank the long term value of the following Rookie DE's: Derek Wolfe (Den), Kendall Reyes (SDC), Olivier Vernon (Mia), Shea McClellin (Chi), Jerel Worthy (GBP), Jared Crick (Hou), Andre Branch (JAC), & Vinny Curry (PHI)?

How would you guys rank the long term value of the following Rookie DE's: Derek Wolfe (Den), Kendall Reyes (SDC), Olivier Vernon (Mia), Shea McClellin (Chi), Jerel Worthy (GBP), Jared Crick (Hou), Andre Branch (JAC), & Vinny Curry (PHI)?
Personally, I'd go:Branch (even with Babin there)Curry (now that Babin's gone)McClellin (nobody dominant in his way)VernonI don't pay enough attention to 3-4 guys.

To go very young, where would the rookie Clowney rank if he hits his ceiling? A Tier below Watt/JPP?

I was also very impressed with the one bowl game showing from DE Magnus Hunt (SMU). Very raw, but crazy measurables (6'8''!). I'll have my eye on him.

Users who are viewing this thread