What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2014 World Cup Thread*** (2 Viewers)

NewlyRetired

Footballguy
With qualification now complete and the World Cup draw coming up shortly, this is a good time to create a new thread dedicated to next years tournament.

This thread can allow fans who are only interested in the WC not to get bogged down in the all encompassing soccer thread to find WC information. There will likely be some cross over between the two threads and that is fine.

In this thread people interested in the WC but have not followed qualification should ask any questions they have.

Last edited by a moderator:
World Cup Qualification was completed last night.

Mjolnirs posted the following info:

Qualification began June 15, 2011 with Belize defeating Montserrat 5-2 in a match played in Trinidad & Tobago.

889 days, 816 matches and 2,333 goals later, the field is narrowed from 204 to 32.

The 32 teams that have qualified are as follows (broken down by region)

South America

Argentina

Brazil (qualified as hosts)

Chile

Colombia

Ecudor

Uruguay

Europe

Belgium

Bosnia

Croatia

England

France

Germany

Greece

Italy

Holland

Portugal

Russia

Spain

Switzerland

Africa

Algeria

Cameroon

Ghana

Ivory Coast

Nigeria

Asia

Australia

Iran

Japan

South Korea

North and Central America

Costa Rica

Honduras

Mexico

USA

These 32 teams will be separated, using various rules, into 8 groups of 4. The separation happens during the World Cup Draw in December.

The top 2 teams from each group advance to a single game knock out stage which continues until only 1 team is left.

A total of 64 games is played in the tournament:

48 group stage games (6 in each group, across 8 groups)

8 second round games

4 quarter finals

2 semi finals

1 3rd place game

1 final

Many of us in the soccer thread think this is the deepest 32 ever in the World Cup. There were very few upsets during the long process putting almost all of the best teams (regionally) in the final 32.

QuizGuy66 posted the following information on how the 32 teams are currently ranked by the 3 major ranking systems

AFC = Asia

CAF = Africa

CONCACAF = North and Central America

CONMEBOL = South America

UEFA = Europe

OFC = Oceania (basically New Zealand)

By SPI:

4 of the top 5 ranking in AFC

4 of the top 5 ranking in CAF. 16th-ranked (in CAF) Algeria is the lone outlier.

All of the top 4 in CONCACAF

All of the top 6 in CONMEBOL

All of the top 10 in UEFA, plus the 13th, 14th, and 16th teams

The top OFC team ranks behind every team that made the field.

By ELO:

All of the top 4 ranking in AFC

The top 3 in CAF, as well as the 5th and 7th ranked teams.

The top 3 in CONCACAF, plus 5th

All of the top 11 in UEFA, plus 14th and 15th

Again the top OFC team ranks behind every team that made the field

By FIFA:

The top 2 in AFC plus 4th and 5th

The top 4 in CAF plus the 10th ranked team

All of the top 4 in CONCACAF

All of the top 12 in UEFA, plus 14th

And again the top OFC team ranks behind every team that made the field.

Time for the Seleção to get that 6th star. :thumbup:
They (Brazil) have to be the clear favorite going in. The host country has not won since 1998 (France), but this year is going to be as good as any for a long time to have the host country walk away with the whole deal.

The 32 teams that have qualified are as follows (broken down by region)

South America (CONMEBOL is the FIFA name for this region's confederation)

Argentina

Brazil (qualified as hosts)

Chile

Colombia

Ecudor

Uruguay

Europe (UEFA is the FIFA name for this region's confederation)

Belgium

Bosnia

Croatia

England

France

Germany

Greece

Italy

Holland

Portugal

Russia

Spain

Switzerland

Africa (CAF is the FIFA name for this region's confederation)

Algeria

Cameroon

Ghana

Ivory Coast

Nigeria

Asia (AFC is the FIFA name for this region's confederation)

Australia

Iran

Japan

South Korea

North and Central America (CONCACAF is the FIFA name for this region's confederation)

Costa Rica

Honduras

Mexico

USA
Edited for newbs to understand the jargon when soccer-heads refer to things like UEFA and CONMEBOL.

Btw OFC refers to Oceania - which had 0 team qualify (Basically New Zealand and surrounding smaller islands).

-QG

LOL Newly Retired read my mind :thumbup: but I was busy Hippling the thread :)

For new folks - the World Cup Draw is worth watching - lots of paegeantry and intrigue for what is essentially pulling ball out of a bunch of pots. You should get a good thumbnail of the qualifying teams along the way as well.

I'm guessing ESPN will probably cover it on tv. If not FIFA.com surely will have a live feed on the 6th.

-QG

Adidas announced last year that the official ball will be named "Brazuca" following a public vote in Brazil. The ball will likely be released on the day of the draw, December 6th. Within minutes of the release, goalie divas worldwide will be heard howling in protest with claims that the ball will make a mockery of the World Cup.

For new folks - the World Cup Draw is worth watching - lots of paegeantry and intrigue for what is essentially pulling ball out of a bunch of pots. You should get a good thumbnail of the qualifying teams along the way as well.

I'm guessing ESPN will probably cover it on tv. If not FIFA.com surely will have a live feed on the 6th.
I think it will be ESPN2 and Univision will show the WC draw live on December 6.

:blackdot: Great kick-off, NR.

Another interesting fact to remember (and has been discussed in the Soccer Thread already) is that South American teams have won all four World Cups hosted in South America. They've also won the two hosted in Mexico (Brazil in 70, Argentina in 86). 9 out of 10 WC's held in Europe were won by European teams, btw. Brazil broke serve in Sweden in 1958.

Brazil's probably the best team in the world before HFA, and they're the clear favorites. But like NR showed, the field is loaded. And there are multiple other South American teams who can give them problems.

Thanks, this is good for me. I'm pretty much the exact guy you folks in the soccer thread were making fun of a month or so ago. I pretty much only watch soccer every four years, but get really into the Cup.

Thanks, this is good for me. I'm pretty much the exact guy you folks in the soccer thread were making fun of a month or so ago. I pretty much only watch soccer every four years, but get really into the Cup.
nobody makes fun of these people.

In fact, the vast majority of the posters in the soccer thread were introduced to the sport via the WC and were once every 4 years type of watchers until they decided to watch more.

Adidas announced last year that the official ball will be named "Brazuca" following a public vote in Brazil. The ball will likely be released on the day of the draw, December 6th. Within minutes of the release, goalie divas worldwide will be heard howling in protest with claims that the ball will make a mockery of the World Cup.
Let's be real here: the ball in SA was terrible.

Another interesting fact to remember (and has been discussed in the Soccer Thread already) is that South American teams have won all four World Cups hosted in South America. They've also won the two hosted in Mexico (Brazil in 70, Argentina in 86). 9 out of 10 WC's held in Europe were won by European teams, btw. Brazil broke serve in Sweden in 1958.

Brazil's probably the best team in the world before HFA, and they're the clear favorites. But like NR showed, the field is loaded. And there are multiple other South American teams who can give them problems.
good info GPJ.

For those that are rooting for the US, this is not a good thing :)

We have had some interesting discussions in the soccer thread about the difficulty the US is likely to face.

This article is a very nice write up on the issues the US could face due to the draw that GPJ posted.

http://www.businessinsider.com/world-cup-draw-pots-groups-2013-11

good info GPJ.

We have had some interesting discussions in the soccer thread about the difficulty the US is likely to face.

This article is a very nice write up on the issues the US could face due to the draw that GPJ posted.

Yep, it's not a question of whether we'll be in a difficult group, but how difficult. I think most USMNT supporters just want a draw that'll give us a fighting chance. A group like Argentina, US, Chile, Netherlands would leave us drawing very, very thin.

As a fairly novice observer of the sport, I think this World Cup will be where Neymar becomes a household name to even casual followers. I still can't get over Brazil physically dominating Spain in the Confed Cup.

I dug around the internets a little bit and it appears that the draw procedure and pots will be officially announced on December 3rd.

While everyone seems to be a assuming it will follow the same procedure as 2010 (France getting put in a "special" pot and getting drawn to one of the 4 CONMEBOL seeded teams (Brazil, Argentina, Colombia, Uruguay), FIFA has been known to throw a late curveball before :)

-QG

good info GPJ.

Yep, it's not a question of whether we'll be in a difficult group, but how difficult. I think most USMNT supporters just want a draw that'll give us a fighting chance. A group like Argentina, US, Chile, Netherlands would leave us drawing very, very thin.
If the US gets that exact group, I think there will be some serious 'splaining to do ;) {see bold}

wow, no scandinavian teams.
Sweden was the closest but lost in the playoffs to Portugal.

Denmark finished second in their group but missed out on the playoffs as being the worst of the second place teams (9 groups but only 8 second place teams made the playoffs)

Norway finished 4th in their group

Finland finished 3rd in theirs.

I dug around the internets a little bit and it appears that the draw procedure and pots will be officially announced on December 3rd.

While everyone seems to be a assuming it will follow the same procedure as 2010 (France getting put in a "special" pot and getting drawn to one of the 4 CONMEBOL seeded teams (Brazil, Argentina, Colombia, Uruguay), FIFA has been known to throw a late curveball before :)

-QG
I am surprised they did not wait until December 5th to allow for the most suit cases of money to be received in time.

God how I hate FIFA, it is so unhealthy :)

As a fairly novice observer of the sport, I think this World Cup will be where Neymar becomes a household name to even casual followers. I still can't get over Brazil physically dominating Spain in the Confed Cup.
Neymar has a chance to become a household name and Messi and Ronaldo both have chances to put that final stamp on being seriously considered as one of top 2-3 players who ever played the game (both need a WC title if they want to get the international media to conceded either Maradona or Pele's spots at the top of the list).

nobody makes fun of these people.

In fact, the vast majority of the posters in the soccer thread were introduced to the sport via the WC and were once every 4 years type of watchers until they decided to watch more.
:goodposting:

The soccer thread is a wonderful thread for so many reasons. You don't get a lot of the nonsense you see in other threads as everyone is very cool and helpful (barring the occasional Christo being Christo and even he is very tolerable in there). So many of the regular posters there really know what they're talking about. And, it's overall added to my new-found enjoyment in the sport as a great thread to follow along with while watching games.

Joining the EPL fantasy league has helped a tremendous amount in terms of sparking interest and forcing me to keep up, but it's the *official* thread that has been the best part.

Joining the EPL fantasy league has helped a tremendous amount in terms of sparking interest and forcing me to keep up, but it's the *official* thread that has been the best part.
While I don't think that tournaments like the WC or Champions League work as well for fantasy as league play like the EPL, we should probably considered setting something up for the WC. I am sure some online games should provide some fun even if they are just salary cap type league.

While I don't think that tournaments like the WC or Champions League work as well for fantasy as league play like the EPL, we should probably considered setting something up for the WC. I am sure some online games should provide some fun even if they are just salary cap type league.
I'd definitely be interested. Consider me in if something is set up.

NewlyRetired said:
QuizGuy66 said:

-QG
I am surprised they did not wait until December 5th to allow for the most suit cases of money to be received in time.

God how I hate FIFA, it is so unhealthy :)
If France weren't the team set to go in a "special pot" I would think that they would do it like last time. Somehow I think that all 9 Euroes will be put in the same pot instead and that the last ball will be the "special" team.

-QG

i would play some fantasy.
The player based fantasy games will come online late May early June once the 32 rosters have been submitted.

We can use this thread to inform people of which fantasy games are available to try. A salary cap fantasy game would allow for an unlimited amount of people to play in.

:blackdot:

I will definitely run a WC pool contest this tournament as well. I believe for the 4th time on this forum. The other times we have started to recruit pretty late, causing a lot of people to miss out, but I intend on having the sheets ready early this time around, probably within a couple of weeks of the draw, once we know the groups.

ETA: I tried to search for the older threads but they seem to be purged... oh well. I'll post the rules when I can locate my old spread sheets, and we can discuss modifications. I think we've had 40 - 60 participants, about half FBGs the other years.

fatguyinalittlecoat said:
I think we more talk about the guy who comes around every four years and says:

"Whoa, what's with all the diving."

"Wait, you guys have ties?"

"Great, another 1-0 game!"

I don't understand (well, besides "Its FIFA") why they don't simply seed all teams into 4 quadrants, then draw from pots.

I don't think there is a valid reason to keep Euro teams from playing each other in a group, nor do I think it is bad for the sport, even from a Euro-centric viewpoint, if a group had 4 Euro teams in it. You already have geographic limitations built into the qualification process, so I don't think it hurts to allow them grouped together - subject to some rational basis for placing teams within the 4 quadrants.

Good Posting Judge said:

I wouldn't classify Brazil as favorites on a neutral pitch. Brazil's top two strikers are still Fred and Jo. They still play David Luiz at CB (and would be particularly exposed if Thiago Silva were to miss a game due to injury or suspension, IMO). Neymar is an excellent talent, but Hulk is a bit of a puzzle on the RW for the Selecao. I also believe that teams are going to kick the hell out of Neymar, unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread