What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Michael Floyd Will Be A Bust (1 Viewer)

cstu

Footballguy
- Runs stiff

- Not explosive, long strider

- Doesn't get separation

- Doesn't run sharp routes

- Drops passes

- Character issues

This guy ate up smaller DB's in college and is in for a rude awakening. Could he put up a 60 catch season eventually playing opposite Fitzgerald, sure, but he'll never be a WR1 in the NFL.

Welcome to BMW 2012: Michael Floyd edition.

Michael Floyd vs. Reggie Williams

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll go on record the other way. He got separation more than was noticed, but the QBs he was paired with at ND either favored the lob pass or didn't have the arm strength to take advantage of situations.

I'm not sure I buy the character argument either. Yes he screwed up with the DUIs and it's not something to make light of at all. But he also could have gone pro last year and decided to go back to school, het his head on straight, and finish with his degree. Not to mention he was coming back to a team in flux and surprised all ND fans by returning.

- Runs stiff

- Doesn't get separation

- Drops passes

- Character issues

This guy ate up smaller DB's in college and is in for a rude awakening. Could he put up a 60 catch season eventually playing opposite Fitzgerald, sure, but he'll never be a WR1 in the NFL.

I doubt he'll be an elite WR1, but I think he'll likely be a below average WR1 / good WR2.

Huge cards fan but was going to post the same thing in another thread last night. My comparison was michael Jenkins (but reggie is just as good of one). he could be an ok #2 ...really worry about his ability to separate.

i think his big presence will be run blocking. i just think you want more than that at 13 overall.

disagree with you on this one. I think he's solid. Sure, he may never be a perennial top 5 or anything but he's gonna be good.

Floyd is the same size as Fitzgerald, yet is less agile, less smooth, less shifty, and certainly doesn't have the same level of hands. He's not even as good as Dez Bryant. This was a reach by the Cardinals who didn't even need a WR.

- Runs stiff

- Doesn't get separation

- Drops passes

- Character issues

Probably going to be yet another overvalued ND product..haven't we learned the lesson yet..ND does not translate well to NFL , but Dont tell Bettis and Tim Brown I said that, I'm referring to guys like Mirer, Quinn, Clausen, Golden Tate ( who is just meh so far) , etc

Fitz there to keep him focused is going to be a huge boon to him.
I don't think the landing spot was an ideal place for him for fantasy production but if anyone was concerned about his character issues he arguably could not have landed in a better spot and that's probably the underrated portion of this. Not sure you could find a better mentor in the NFL for a young WR with character issues than Fitz.

Fitz there to keep him focused is going to be a huge boon to him.
I don't think the landing spot was an ideal place for him for fantasy production but if anyone was concerned about his character issues he arguably could not have landed in a better spot and that's probably the underrated portion of this. Not sure you could find a better mentor in the NFL for a young WR with character issues than Fitz.
He's certainly going to be good influence but he's probably not going to be with him at 2am on Friday nights.

- Runs stiff

- Doesn't get separation

- Drops passes

- Character issues

Probably going to be yet another overvalued ND product..haven't we learned the lesson yet..ND does not translate well to NFL , but Dont tell Bettis and Tim Brown I said that, I'm referring to guys like Mirer, Quinn, Clausen, Golden Tate ( who is just meh so far) , etc
Golden Tate was a factor when I was evaluating Floyd. Tate put up massive numbers his final two years similar to Floyd's and he did it with a much higher YPC (17.2 to 13.6). It's not something I put a great deal of weight on but it's worth considering along with other factors.

Definitely in a great spot to learn, but Fitzgerald is "only" 28. Will have many more years left in him. How soon will Floyd be fantasy relevant?

Definitely in a great spot to learn, but Fitzgerald is "only" 28. Will have many more years left in him. How soon will Floyd be fantasy relevant?
Boldin was pretty fantasy relevant across from Fitz.I loves me some Floyd.

- Runs stiff

- Doesn't get separation

- Drops passes

- Character issues

Justin Tuck isn't too bad. And there's 3 solid TEs in the league from ND. :shrug:

Bad call ctsu and not reasonable.

I was talking to a friend of mine who played against Floyd in high school. Totally dominant player that he wanted to Vikings to draft about as much as Kalil. Not saying my friend is any expert on talent, I just found it interesting how impressed he was with Floyd. I think having Fitzgerald to mentor him will be very good for his development.

I think he will be a solid WR2 in fantasy leagues possibly flirting with WR1 numbers at times.

- Runs stiff

- Doesn't get separation

- Drops passes

- Character issues

Golden Tate was a factor when I was evaluating Floyd. Tate put up massive numbers his final two years similar to Floyd's and he did it with a much higher YPC (17.2 to 13.6). It's not something I put a great deal of weight on but it's worth considering along with other factors.
Could Golden Tate and Michael Floyld at ND be equivalent to Troy Williamson and Sydney Rice at SC? Not a fan of your logic.

- Runs stiff

- Doesn't get separation

- Drops passes

- Character issues

Could Golden Tate and Michael Floyld at ND be equivalent to Troy Williamson and Sydney Rice at SC? Not a fan of your logic.
Not similar since Williamson not prolific and never caught more than 43 passes. Rice caught 70 and 72 passes his freshman and sophomore years.

So if I'm understanding your logic correctly, the following players drafted from the first 2 rounds have increased bust potential?

Michael Floyd (because Golden Tate hasn't become a star)

AJ Jenkins (because Arrelious Benn hasn't become a star)

Brian Quick (because Armanti Edwards and Dexter Jackson haven't become stars)

Ryan Broyles (because Juaquin Iglesias hasn't become a star)

So if I'm understanding your logic correctly, the following players drafted from the first 2 rounds have increased bust potential?Michael Floyd (because Golden Tate hasn't become a star)AJ Jenkins (because Arrelious Benn hasn't become a star)Brian Quick (because Armanti Edwards and Dexter Jackson haven't become stars)Ryan Broyles (because Juaquin Iglesias hasn't become a star)
I'm comparing the stats between the two and Tate was actually more productive than Floyd.Armanti Edwards was converted to WR and Jackson never had more than 34 catches - not comparable to Quick who led the team in receiving 3 years.Benn has a ton of talent but he wasn't a good route runner and his body type (6-1, 220) is odd for a WR. With that said, it's been the injuries that have help him back not talent.As for Broyles, the numbers aren't comparable to any other OU WR's. He's a bit old at 24 and coming off an ACL but he should be a good possession receiver for the Lions.

I just don't buy the argument. He's got #1 WR size. He runs well for his height. He produced against anyone and everyone for four years in college. He was a top 15 draft pick. He put up good numbers at the combine. He jumps off the screen when you watch his highlights.

Actually looks like one of the safest skill position picks in the draft to me, based solely on ability. Makes sense when you consider how high he went. Elite prospect.

I just don't buy the argument. He's got #1 WR size. He runs well for his height. He produced against anyone and everyone for four years in college. He was a top 15 draft pick. He put up good numbers at the combine. He jumps off the screen when you watch his highlights.Actually looks like one of the safest skill position picks in the draft to me, based solely on ability. Makes sense when you consider how high he went. Elite prospect.
:goodposting:Not to mention there's a lot more to comparing prospects than simply comparing stats. Golden Tate is a 5'10 body catcher who was a terrible route runner at ND; Michael Floyd is 6'3, he attacks the ball on every catch, and he's considerably better at route running.

- Runs stiff- Not explosive, long strider
I have no opinion on Floyd because I really haven't seen him play, but WTF do statements like this even mean? Is it better to have a "short stride"? How does someone run a 4.47 40 "stiffly"?I hate some of this pseudo NFL scout evaluation language people use when describing players, as though it means something. Stop.On topic, I have no ####### clue if Floyd will be a bust. And neither do you.

- Runs stiff

I have no opinion on Floyd because I really haven't seen him play, but WTF do statements like this even mean? Is it better to have a "short stride"? How does someone run a 4.47 40 "stiffly"?I hate some of this pseudo NFL scout evaluation language people use when describing players, as though it means something. Stop.

On topic, I have no ####### clue if Floyd will be a bust. And neither do you.
Excellent point!

Let's go guys, let's wrap up the internet, not needed anymore.

I have no opinion on Floyd because I really haven't seen him play, but WTF do statements like this even mean? Is it better to have a "short stride"? How does someone run a 4.47 40 "stiffly"?I hate some of this pseudo NFL scout evaluation language people use when describing players, as though it means something. Stop.On topic, I have no ####### clue if Floyd will be a bust. And neither do you.
:goodposting: :goodposting: I can't stand the verbiage some scouts use to describe players. That's why I love the approach people like Waldman and Cosell evaluate talent. CSTU just throws out random language that may or may not be accurate. He does nothing to provide evidence to back his claim and that's why this thread is a pile of ####. I can take stabs in the dark and use some generic vague descriptors too. I'll just flip a coin and go from there. Brilliant.

I am sure he doesn't have the talent to be successful at the next level...Fitz wanted the Cards to blow a first round draft pick on him to make himself look better..you guys kill me...LOL!

I don't care either way about Floyd. I've leaned towards thinking he's a bit overrated but not significantly. At any rate, all it means to be a "long strider" is that your foot/leg turnover or repetitions are fewer because the distance you cover in each stride are greater. Guys who are long striders cover more ground with each stride and normally take longer to reach top speed. They also take longer to get in and out of their breaks because of their extended stride and therefor can be easier to cover by NFL DBs who almost always have quick twitch turnover in their feet. More strides in shorter areas allows for quicker reaction and better lateral agility in and out of breaks. The longer your feet are in the air, the longer it will take you to react. That is basically the story.Think of the legs as pistons. Long strider just means less repititions per second.

The comment being made by CSTU about Tate having better numbers than Floyd I can comment on 100%.

TATE HAD A QB.....FLOYD did not. Tate was a smoke screen for anyone who drafted him. But as a 2nd round rookie pick in fantasy drafts he was worth the risk. Tate may not be done either so lets not count him out 100%.

However, TATE had poor #s and wasnt Clausen's main target at ND until Floyd went down with the Shoulder injury that year. Tate wouldve never been picked in the NFL if Floyd did not go down because nobody woulda noticed him. But Clausen was breaking records and Tate was on the receiving end of some of those catches. So was Rudolph. Rudolph is good period though. Tate is riding on the coattails of being somewhere at the right time.

EVEN Tate knew this because he chose not to stay at ND for his last year of eligibility he went to the NFL draft instead. He knew the QB sitch wouldnt be what he needed and his stock would fall if he stayed, because he couldve doubted his own talent with a poor QB... Floyd came back. Floyd had solid numbers with poor QB play......Floyd made all other ND WRs not be noticed. Can you name NDs 2nd or 3rd WRs? I can but they are not draft worthy and that is where Tate woulda been too.

So comparing Tate to Floyd is unfair and not apples to apples.

You may not like Floyd for a list of reasons, but bottom line is he plays with heart and he is not a Fitz type finesse WR......but he is good......let him fall, I will gobble him up if you are in a league with me. We are talking about a DUI and fight situation as his poor character issue. But we are not talking about his turn around.....and what he did to pay for his faults and how he has turned things around. If you can put behind you certain things other NFL players have done that required prison time then you should keep an open mind about his character concerns until he messes up again......which he wont.

Happy drafting!

Having watched him in college a good bit and seeing where he landed now, he could very well be a big hit. Any player could be a bust, but I don't feel this kid will be. Fitz will teach him

everything, and Floyd will soak it all in.

- Runs stiff

- Doesn't get separation

- Drops passes

- Character issues

I've always thought Tate benefited from Floyd playing opposite him.

Funny, I seem to recall many similar points made about Randy Moss once upon a time. I mean, his character issues drove him from FSU to D-II Marshall (at the time) and he "took advantage" of smaller DBs there right? he had quite a few "good" years before character caught up to him. (I credit CC for that guidance - can't Fitz to the same?)

But, in all fairness, everyone has an opinion ... and some of thos opinions this time of year are just smoke as FF drafts begin.

Pretty much every flaw mentioned above it wrong. Being a ND fan, I watched him all 4 years. He was the fastest guy on the field most of the time. There was a play at Stanford this year the ND qb threw a pick and the stanford player was returning it a pretty long way, Floyd tracked the guy down and tackled him. It was like a flash across the screen. Running stiff? Thats just a dumb thing to say. No seperation? So how does he own every ND wr record, esp if he doesnt have good hands?!!!! Wasnt like he snuck up on teams, he was a known threat every week and teams rolled coverages to him. He's going to get a lot of man coverage in ARZ. Character issues? He grew up at ND, I think his character is outstanding. The only thing that will keep him from becoming a big time WR is the QB situation in ARZ, they suck. I would expect similar numbers to what Dez Bryant did in Dallas last year. Is he the next Jerry Rice, highly unlikely, but to call him a bust, thats either player hatin or just being silly.

Funny, I seem to recall many similar points made about Randy Moss once upon a time. I mean, his character issues drove him from FSU to D-II Marshall (at the time) and he "took advantage" of smaller DBs there right? he had quite a few "good" years before character caught up to him. (I credit CC for that guidance - can't Fitz to the same?)But, in all fairness, everyone has an opinion ... and some of thos opinions this time of year are just smoke as FF drafts begin.
Moss was a physical talent I had never seen before.Just sayin'

Pretty much every flaw mentioned above it wrong. Being a ND fan, I watched him all 4 years. He was the fastest guy on the field most of the time. There was a play at Stanford this year the ND qb threw a pick and the stanford player was returning it a pretty long way, Floyd tracked the guy down and tackled him. It was like a flash across the screen. Running stiff? Thats just a dumb thing to say. No seperation? So how does he own every ND wr record, esp if he doesnt have good hands?!!!! Wasnt like he snuck up on teams, he was a known threat every week and teams rolled coverages to him. He's going to get a lot of man coverage in ARZ. Character issues? He grew up at ND, I think his character is outstanding. The only thing that will keep him from becoming a big time WR is the QB situation in ARZ, they suck. I would expect similar numbers to what Dez Bryant did in Dallas last year. Is he the next Jerry Rice, highly unlikely, but to call him a bust, thats either player hatin or just being silly.
If he were a 2nd round pick I wouldn't be calling him a bust. However, as the 13th pick expectations are much higher and I don't think he will live up to them. If he ever catches 70 passes in a season I will be shocked. I've watched every single piece of video and I don't see him as a highly productive NFL player. I think he's going to make some spectacular plays and will be a force in the red zone, but I don't see a complete player here. Also, don't think that I'm hating on him for playing for ND because I have absolutely no interest in college football outside of the players coming into the NFL.Feel free to call me out on this when he makes the Pro Bowl though - it won't be the first time I've been wrong about a player. The only reason I posted this is that Floyd is the hyped player I had the strongest negative feeling about.

If he were a 2nd round pick I wouldn't be calling him a bust. However, as the 13th pick expectations are much higher and I don't think he will live up to them. If he ever catches 70 passes in a season I will be shocked. I've watched every single piece of video and I don't see him as a highly productive NFL player. I think he's going to make some spectacular plays and will be a force in the red zone, but I don't see a complete player here. Also, don't think that I'm hating on him for playing for ND because I have absolutely no interest in college football outside of the players coming into the NFL.Feel free to call me out on this when he makes the Pro Bowl though - it won't be the first time I've been wrong about a player. The only reason I posted this is that Floyd is the hyped player I had the strongest negative feeling about.
You are doing a good job taking the heat here cstu. I think you make valid points and your gut is probably right.

- Doesn't get separation- Doesn't run sharp routes- Drops passes

- Character issues

I agree with these three points, so I can also see "bust" in this guy too...

Michael Floyd: Michael Floyd got outplayed by LaRon Byrd?Michael Floyd - WR - ARZ - Sep. 5 - 8:41 am etRookie Michael Floyd was arguably outperformed by undrafted rookie LaRon Byrd at training camp, according to ESPN's Mike Sando.Yikes. Floyd didn't come close to climbing the depth chart during the preseason as he's still the No. 4 wideout, well behind Andre Roberts. Sando's assertion is further evidence that the No. 13 overall pick isn't ready. Floyd isn't worth a roster spot in redraft formats. Sep. 5 - 8:41 am etSource: ESPN.com

Don't own Floyd in any leagues and don't plan to acquire him, but this really doesn't mean much yet. The list of WRs who became stars after really slow starts to their careers is a long one. Floyd's own teammate Andre Roberts was considered a bust during his rookie year. Some guys enter the league ready to play and others take years to find their stride.

Don't own Floyd in any leagues and don't plan to acquire him, but this really doesn't mean much yet. The list of WRs who became stars after really slow starts to their careers is a long one. Floyd's own teammate Andre Roberts was considered a bust during his rookie year. Some guys enter the league ready to play and others take years to find their stride.
Agreed. A week ago we were told that Stephen Hill was "the biggest preseason disappointment" and now everybody's falling all over themselves to pick him up. They're rookies. Plus, Floyd did have the best
of any that I saw! :thumbup: (non-owner-fan-of-rookies)

:rolleyes:

Oh look - another "look at me I was right" bump...after ONE FREAKING WEEK.

Yep, dynasty leaguers should unload this Floyd guy for Jeremy Kerley, Kevin Ogeltree, or Cecil Shorts right now - maybe sooner.

I thought some SP swimmers were better than this. Guess not.

Anyone have a link to video/gif of Floyd's block on DRC today? I saw it at a distance at a bar and just want to see if it was as awesome as I remember now that I'm completely sober! :football:

Users who are viewing this thread