What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2012 New York Giants Thread *** (2 Viewers)

RC94

Footballguy
With the NYG the Super Bowl Champions, it's going to be a fun offseason. Since the season is officially over, I figure we might as well start a 2012 thread for the team discussions. It was a great ending to the season, but there will be work for the team to do this offseason. I look forward to discussing all things New York Giants for 2012 with everyone here.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems the Gmen will need some Tight Ends and Linebackers. While I loved Chase filling in Jonathan at MLB, I think that neither are long term solutions. Getting Thomas back will help the secondary. I am thinking the three need to be be priority. Getting younger and OLine could help too.

It seems the Gmen will need some Tight Ends and Linebackers. While I loved Chase filling in Jonathan at MLB, I think that neither are long term solutions. Getting Thomas back will help the secondary. I am thinking the three need to be be priority. Getting younger and OLine could help too.
I agree with this. What are your thoughts on Greg Jones though? Is he not an option at MLB?

I agree with this. What are your thoughts on Greg Jones though? Is he not an option at MLB?
Jones will be a special teamer for sure. I don't think he'll beat out Goff for MLB. J. Williams will see time since he can cover and will eventually take over when Boley gets old.It wouldn't surprise me if they don't draft LB early since Goff will be back, and they have Kiwi, Williams looks promising, Boley had a great year, Jones could earn more time and Herzlich showed promise. Using Lance Armstrong's recovery from chemotherapy as a guide, Herzlich wouldn't be expected to be back into pre-cancer form till training camp this summer. If he does get back to what he was, the LB core will look really good. Sintim, I think they might want to try him at DE.DE would be a concern if Osi's contract demands are more than the Giants can afford.I'd love an upgrade at TE. Since the Giants go BPA in the draft I don't think it's likely that a TE worth an early pick will be there when the Giants turn comes around. Maybe some talent will shake loose in FA.

Jones seemed overwhelmed at the position this year. It was a tough way to get playing time but I didn't feel he was ready for role yet. He was one of the reasons why the Giants D was poor in the beginning of the year. The Giants D started to get better when they pulled Blackburn back and gave the play calling to Boley. I felt both rookies LB have the physical skills to play, but they need to polish up the mental side of the game before they can be trusted too much. Blackburn isn't generally (well, except for last night) going to win too many foot races, but he understands what is happening. And that understanding is why he was on the field. But he was a emergency fill in at best.Maybe with an longer off-season Jones and Williams can come up to speed.

Jones seemed overwhelmed at the position this year. It was a tough way to get playing time but I didn't feel he was ready for role yet. He was one of the reasons why the Giants D was poor in the beginning of the year. The Giants D started to get better when they pulled Blackburn back and gave the play calling to Boley. I felt both rookies LB have the physical skills to play, but they need to polish up the mental side of the game before they can be trusted too much. Blackburn isn't generally (well, except for last night) going to win too many foot races, but he understands what is happening. And that understanding is why he was on the field. But he was a emergency fill in at best.Maybe with an longer off-season Jones and Williams can come up to speed.
I really want Chase back next year. He has his limitations but the defense really played much better with him at MIKE. Apparently the communication between the sideline and the rest of the defense was vastly improved upon his return and the defense play calling he did on the field seemed great. The giants defense seemed always to be in the right place with him back and he made a ton of huge plays down the stretch and not just the INT. He is also a very good special teams player. I will be very disappointed if he doesn't have a place on the team. In this age of multiple sets very few LBs are every down players and Chase fits in great with Boley, Williams and Kiwi. This team doesn't win the superbowl if Chase isn't ready to step in and take over a leadership position on defense and I want him back.

DE would be a concern if Osi's contract demands are more than the Giants can afford.
That's the big question to me. Osi is an integral part of the Giant's front four rotation. Tuck and JPP are great, but in today's game, you need to rotate your rushers to keep them fresh. Without Osi, the Giants lose some of their consistency. I'm curious as to whether the SB win will give Osi more of that winning team feeling and he'll be willing to sfoten his position on negotiations or, whether he will think that he is worth more than he is because he helped the G-men win it all.

Thanks for a great season Big Blue!

Looking at next year, I think the most glaring need is LB and OL. We have to get someone to replace Kareem at tackle. He looked old this year.

Can we get a stud LB? Boley is as close as this team comes to a complete LB.

Maybe a mid round RB to possibly replace Jacobs.

I would think LB and OL need to be taken care of early, but Reese has been doing his own thing in drafts and it's been working. Wouldn't be surprised if he went WR/DL just for the hell of it

TE Joel Dreessen is a FA so he might be a nice addition. Too bad James Casey isn't a FA till 2012 I'd really like him for the Giants.

DE would be a concern if Osi's contract demands are more than the Giants can afford.
That's the big question to me. Osi is an integral part of the Giant's front four rotation. Tuck and JPP are great, but in today's game, you need to rotate your rushers to keep them fresh. Without Osi, the Giants lose some of their consistency. I'm curious as to whether the SB win will give Osi more of that winning team feeling and he'll be willing to sfoten his position on negotiations or, whether he will think that he is worth more than he is because he helped the G-men win it all.
Though I suppose Canty or Kiwi could get in the DE rotation if Marvin Austin shows he's ready to start and/or someone steps up at LB or a LB is gotten.

That is the "big" question. With less money needed to pay your rookies and with the feel good aspect of this year (from Osi wanting out to Osi getting ring #2), I think we have a decent chance to come to an agreement. We can't underpay the guy, but we might get some small discount, as long as Osi feels like he will be treated right - and I think that extra cap space from the rooks might be enough to do that.Let's be honest, Osi is a huge star on the biggest stage here, and that rotation just makes him even better. Not sure Osi thrives on another team considering he is not a truly complete player, but a monster rushing the QB.Other issues:TE - This is a big one. As awesome as the Giants offense has been passing wise, could you imagine what would happen with a difference maker at TE? Someone mentioned Dressen, - not sure that is enough to make that much of a difference. RB - Let's be honest, our RBs are a weakness. Jacobs ran hard yesterday but he is limited at this point. Bradshaw is a nice back, but his fumbles scare me now and while he is solid, he is hardly great. That said, RBs are something you can come by, and in this offense a solid all around back (bradshaw, ware etc) can be enough, so long as they can block and catch some passes.LB - The unit really came together, but the Giants struggle with the short passing game and I feel the LBs are a reason why - need some athleticism.Those are the top areas of need without giving it much thought. The OL really came together after a transition the last couple years and the defensive backfield really held up at the end considering the early injuries. Is Terrel Thomas expected to be 100% next year and what is his contract situation?

I really want Chase back next year. He has his limitations but the defense really played much better with him at MIKE. Apparently the communication between the sideline and the rest of the defense was vastly improved upon his return and the defense play calling he did on the field seemed great. The giants defense seemed always to be in the right place with him back and he made a ton of huge plays down the stretch and not just the INT. He is also a very good special teams player. I will be very disappointed if he doesn't have a place on the team. In this age of multiple sets very few LBs are every down players and Chase fits in great with Boley, Williams and Kiwi. This team doesn't win the superbowl if Chase isn't ready to step in and take over a leadership position on defense and I want him back.
I thought that Boley took over the defensive play calling. Maybe I was wrong. I like Chase as well, I just think he is a little slow for the position. Based on this year's training camp, I won't be surprised if he is sent back to the classroom. But there is no doubt that he was one of the reasons why the D started to play better. Had himself a good campaign. A couple of key INTs and some nice hits this season.

I thought that Boley took over the defensive play calling. Maybe I was wrong. I like Chase as well, I just think he is a little slow for the position. Based on this year's training camp, I won't be surprised if he is sent back to the classroom. But there is no doubt that he was one of the reasons why the D started to play better. Had himself a good campaign. A couple of key INTs and some nice hits this season.
Chase makes defensive play calling when he is in there and otherwise it is Boley when Williams is in there for Chase. He clearly has deficiencies but but he played better then the LBs he filled in for. I also don't think Reese is going to address the situation this year. Every year it is a team weakness and they don't really address it. I expect the drafting to focus on the secondary and OL. Think they will also take a DL if one they like is availae. Ignoring the LB position is a formula they have followed for awhile now and hard to argue with it.

T. Thomas is a FA. I expect he'll get offered a "show me" contract, a short, low $ contract and he has to show he's able to play after the injury. Even if it's a longer deal, he shouldn't be that expensive since he had one good year. I don't expect other team to throw big money at him.

Andre Brown leads team in "I got a ring!"

Pretty much everyone is going to be back, with Osi the only big question mark, right?
Yep, Osi is the big question. He's under contract but likely wants a raise. He pouted and seemed to be milking or faking injuries, then had surgery and played a lot better the second half of the season. I'd say he's earned a raise, the question is can the Giants afford him.T. Thomas is a FA but shouldn't be heavily pursued by other teams.Manningham is a question. He's a FA and should have suitors but those teams aren't likely to pay a ton for him. Most teams will look at him as a WR3 or 2 like he is on the Giants. I can't see anyone looking to give him a huge contract and making him the focus of their offense. It seems like his development has plateaued. He seems to have the same issues in his game that he's had for the past few years. There's a chance he stays. If he leaves he'll need to be replaced with a good talent since he's still an important cog to the offense.Jacobs, I think the Giants can get the same production from another RB for less money.Ross is a FA, might be hard to keep him since he'd be competing with Prince for the #3 spot if T. Thomas has no ill effects.Weatherford needs to be resigned. But again he might get a better offer with how well he kicked this year.Kiwi has one more year on his contract. Will he hold out for a better deal?Some things to look forward too are, will Chad Jones be able to play at a high level when he gets back and can Herzlich get back to pre-cancer form. Will Marvin Austin turn out to be the player he once was now that he's missed two years of ball. I look forward to how the young players improve, now that they have had an extra 5 weeks of football experience this season.

Eli Transcript lots of good x's and o's quotes

(on if he got any sleep last night) “I got a little sleep, but we enjoyed the victory with friends and family and teammates, so it was a good night. A good night to celebrate, but I got enough sleep to make it this morning.”

(on if he’s excited about what this team could accomplish long-term in the future) “I am. I’m excited about a number of young guys who stepped up this season. There were some questions going into the beginning of the season on a few spots, but that quickly got answered. Victor Cruz has been a great story, Jake Ballard. Some of these guys have played great football, made great plays for us this year. We knew we had good players on this team. A veteran offensive line, two running backs who won Super Bowls before and played well. Hakeem Nicks, who was here. Mario Manningham. These guys have made big plays in games over the years. Obviously, a defense with a number of players who can rush the quarterback and get sacks. We felt we had talent across the board on the team, that there were a few spots where we needed young guys to step up, as any team always does every year. You’re going to need young players to come in and play a role, and give you a chance to win a championship.

(on what he saw on his 38-yard completion to Mario Manningham) “Well, they were playing Cover-2. They really had our Cover-2 beat to the right side with Hakeem (Nicks) and Victor Cruz in a two-man route. The Patriots did a good job of jamming both receivers, throwing off the timing of the route. They do have a tendency, their safeties will read my eyes, so I did look to the right pretty long. I didn’t like what I was seeing, so I slid up in the pocket. I was going to see where that safety was to the left. I saw he had cheated in, I saw a little window for Mario Manningham where he would catch it or nobody and he made a great catch. A good job staying inbounds, keeping his two feet inbounds, knowing he was going to get hit on the sideline and holding onto the ball. So a big play in the game right there, obviously. When you’re backed up in that situation, when you get a 40-yard gain, that changes your play-calling. You can run the ball, you can be a little more patient. You feel like you’re getting close to field-goal range right there, which was all we needed. But, (there were) a couple of other big plays. Mario had another catch later in the drive, Hakeem Nicks on a slant, and then obviously, Ahmad (Bradshaw) on the touchdown run. Just a great drive and a great way to finish the game.”

(on Manningham’s route) “It’s basically a ‘go’ route. It’s something that we work on all the time. Down the sideline, we feel our receivers have a great ability to make those plays. Great speed on the outside. New England did a pretty good job of eliminating our big plays, not enabling us to get one-on-one coverage, keeping two safeties a lot to eliminate our playmakers from getting those opportunities. On that play, Mario was running hard, didn’t look at the coverage and dictate, ‘Hey, it’s ‘Cover-2,’ I’m not getting the ball.’ He was running down the sideline and made a big play for us.”

(on why he tried to run a similar play to a previous pass to the opposite sideline) “Two different plays, but obviously, very similar. That one I haven’t seen on film yet, but it looked like I maybe led him too far out of bounds. It could have been a big play for us, but I still had confidence in Mario and I had a feeling he would have a good day. I talked to him all week, saying if teams want to double Hakeem and Victor Cruz and if that leaves you singled up, you’re going to have to play well. So he was excited about the game, excited about his opportunities and he obviously stepped up and made a lot of catches for us.”

(on what Peyton Manning said to him after the game last night) “I got to be with Peyton a bit and he was proud of me. He was proud of the team. A quarterback like Peyton is, he knows the game well and he asks questions a lot of people won’t ask. Like the touchdown to Victor Cruz, he asked me if I saw the middle linebacker running out there, and I didn’t. He can see there and tell it how it looks. It was ‘single-high’ and he kind of jabbed to my right a little bit before running left and looking up Victor. Under center, you know they’re bringing a blitz. It is tough to see that, but luckily, he never looked back at me and I threw it right off his shoulder and Victor did a good job of concentrating and making the catch. Then he talked about the throw to Manningham. He was mad, he said everybody was talking about how great of a catch it was. He said it was a pretty good throw, also. It’s a brother looking out for me. He was proud of me and happy for me.”

(on the last time he had bragging rights on his brother) “This isn’t about bragging rights. This is a lot bigger. This is about a team, an organization being named world champions, and that was the ultimate goal. That’s the only thing that’s important, is the team finding a way to get a victory. That’s the only thing I care about and Peyton and I both know that’s what the goal is every year. It’s not about anything else.”

(on if the pass to Mario Manningham late in the fourth quarter was one of the best throws of his career) “I’m not good at ranking my throws. Obviously, it was a Super Bowl and a tight throw, but I didn’t have any questions. I felt the safety was inside. I wasn’t worried about whether it would be an interception or a dangerous throw when the ball was released. I saw a window. I felt confident about it. I didn’t think much about it. I just saw where Mario was and knew the timing. A lot of those throws are muscle memory. You don’t think about how far to throw it or what to do. You see your receiver, you step, you make the throw and hopefully you put it in a good spot where he can catch it. He made a great play.”

(on what went through his mind when Tom Brady completed 16 passes in a row) “I thought it was great by our team not getting frustrated, not getting down or not losing our momentum at that point. Honestly, when they go on a two-minute drive right before half, score a touchdown to take lead and then start the third quarter with another touchdown to extend their lead, we could have got frustrated, tried to force something to get back in the game or make a mistake, and we didn’t do that. We had a good drive going. We had to settle for a field goal, but at least you get the game back into a one-touchdown game. So, that was important. We had another drive, again, we got into field goal range. Obviously, we wanted a touchdown to take the lead, (but) we had to settle for another field goal. There wasn’t anything there, we didn’t force anything, didn’t make a mistake. Our defense was playing outstanding. They were doing a good job. Offensively, we were moving the ball, we were controlling the clock. We thought we were wearing down their defense a little bit. We thought they were getting tired. Obviously, we just needed another stop by our defense, which they gave us and gave us an opportunity to get the ball back one more time and go get the lead.”

(on if the loss to the New Orleans Saints was the low point of the season) “All season, we have kept our confidence. When you lose four games in a row, that can really test a team. I think we played a lot of those games tough. Besides the New Orleans game, all those other games were tight games. Green Bay was close. At San Francisco came down to the wire. Philadelphia came down to the wire. Those three games could have easily been flipped the other way. I think we recognized that and still understood that we were a good team – we had talent. We weren’t playing our best at that point, but we weren’t playing terrible. We just had to make a few adjustments, play a little smarter. We were a couple of plays away from winning those games against great teams and teams that were playing great football at that time. We just said we had to step it up. We have to play a little bit better, we have to keep working and keep our confidence during this time, and sure enough, that’s what we did. When we needed some wins, at Dallas was a huge win for us in the season. To come back, down 12 in the fourth quarter, go score two touchdowns, get a blocked field goal to win the game, that was an emotional win. The excitement in that locker room was fun. Everybody just got that winning feeling again and said, ‘We have to ride this momentum.’ Sure enough, we were able to win a couple of big games vs. the Jets, vs. Dallas again, just to get into the playoffs. Our defense was playing outstanding. Offensively, we were playing smarter, not turning the ball over, not making mistakes, being effective, running the ball better than we were to start the season. Everything just seemed to be coming around, and we were starting to play our best football. We kept that confidence and kept that style of play through the playoffs.”

(on when he realized New England might let them score on their final possession) “Right as I broke the huddle, I kind of had a feeling, under the circumstances, that they were going to let us score. It’s a tough situation right there as you are thinking about what to do. I think you have to score a touchdown right there. That’s the goal. That’s the ultimate goal – to score a touchdown. As a quarterback, I have great confidence in Lawrence Tynes and kicking field goals. Obviously, he has kicked game-winners for us, but you just don’t want to leave anything to chance in that situation. We could have kneeled and run out the clock and kicked a field goal with 10 seconds left, but if you get a bad snap or if they block it or if something fluky happens and you miss that field goal, you feel terrible. In that situation, as I am handing the ball off, I saw that their defensive line was standing up and not rushing. I am yelling not to score. Maybe you get down to the six-inch line, make them use their last timeout and then try to score on third down, hopefully score a touchdown to give you a bigger lead and get the four-point lead, five-point lead possibly and take it from there. Looking back, we did the right thing. I think you have to score a touchdown in those circumstances.”

(on what he was yelling to Ahmad Bradshaw on the final scoring play) “I just yelled, ‘Don’t score! Don’t score!’ Obviously, he heard me (because) he thought about it. I know it’s tough for a running back. They see a big hole right there going for a touchdown. I think something almost had to pop into his head like something was up. This is a little bit too good to be true. I am yelling, and he obviously had heard me. He thought about kind of going down, but I think he didn’t quite know what to do. He said, ‘Hey, I have a touchdown, I am going to take it.’ I am glad he did.”

(on if either of the two Super Bowl victories are more special than the other) “A championship is a championship. Each one is special. Each one has special moments during the season and, obviously, different teammates. This year, I am just happy for a number of guys getting a championship, whether it’s rookies, whether it’s offensive players. Hakeem Nicks getting his first championship, Mario Manningham, Victor Cruz. Those guys weren’t a part of that last championship, so (I’m) happy for those guys. Rocky Bernard on defense is a guy who has played a long, long time. He has lost a Super Bowl. Antrel Rolle, Deon Grant, those guys who had opportunities to win before, have had great careers and never got the opportunity to say they are world champions and have that feeling in a locker room after winning a Super Bowl. I am happy for a number of guys on this team. I know that they are excited, and that’s why you play. You play for your teammates, you play for your coaches, the organization. To give them that opportunity for these next five or six months, we can say, ‘Hey, we are the best. We are the champs.’ That’s a pretty nice feeling.”

(on the similarities between the 2011 and the 2007 seasons) “There are some similarities. Like the 2007 season, we started off fast, then we did hit a rocky road where weren’t playing our best football. But, when we needed a win, when we needed to start playing better, we came together as a team when the playoffs started. I think we had a great confidence going into the playoffs and realized that we had kind of found our way, our style of football that was going to give us the best chance of winning. That is playing smart offensively, taking the short throws, taking the flats, moving the ball and finding good third-down situations to hold the ball, hold the time of possession, win those type of things and have a defense that gets after the quarterback, play great defense. I think both sides of the ball had great confidence in each other. We knew that we could be patient. We knew that we could not force things, not try to make mistakes, and we would help out each other. Sure enough, that’s exactly what happened and gave us a chance to win the game.”

A Giant celebration of pure joy

Feb 6 3:48 AM ET | By Kate Fagan

http://espn.go.com/espnw/commentary/7545340/espnw-new-york-giants-celebrate-super-bowl-victory-family-members

INDIANAPOLIS- Jason Pierre-Paul stood alone atop the podium, the Lombardi Trophy gleaming in his right hand.

The NBC broadcast of Super Bowl XLVI had ended a few minutes earlier. The New York Giants, for whom Pierre-Paul plays all-world defense, had defeated the New England Patriots 21-17. Celebrating on the field below Pierre-Paul were his teammates, family and friends. All were waiting for a few minutes with the trophy -- waiting for the opportunity to snap the photo of a lifetime.

A national audience watched the initial trophy presentation, saw football's most famous faces on the screen and listened to the key speeches. And then, once the cameras stopped rolling, for another hour or so, the players lingered on the field, walked through the spilled red, white and blue confetti (a few of them made snow angels in the colorful paper) and waited for their few minutes on the podium.

This was Pierre-Paul's turn.

"Yo, yo," Pierre-Paul said quietly, getting the attention of the security guard standing a few steps below. The 23-year-old defensive end dangled the silver trophy in the space between them and said, "Hold this," delivering the trophy to the guard like it was a handoff in the backfield. The man looked down, surprised, but gathered the hardware in his arms.

Still in full pads, Pierre-Paul pushed down the stairs to the field. He walked gently behind an older man wearing his blue No. 90 jersey and slid his hands underneath the man's armpits. Pierre-Paul then guided his father, Jean, who lost his sight when his son was just a baby, back up the podium steps. When the two of them made it to the top, Pierre-Paul collected the trophy from the security guard and called for the rest of his family.

A family member took the picture.

"One more," Pierre-Paul called, waving up two more women. "Just give me one more."

Another flashbulb went off, capturing the moment: Pierre-Paul in the middle, his father to his left.

"All right," he said. "We're out!"

He passed off the trophy -- football's souvenir baton -- and said, "Let me just get my dad down." And then, Pierre-Paul, who's 6-foot-5 and 275 pounds, walked backward, gingerly, taking each step as slowly as his dad needed, until the two of them reached the turf.

"Give him to me," said Pierre-Paul's sister, taking Jean's hand and leading him toward his wheelchair. Jason followed behind, still holding onto his dad's arms. The two siblings guided him into his seat.

"OK," Pierre-Paul said, looking around. "Who needs me?"

A Giants' public relations rep pointed him toward the tunnel. Postgame news conference, ASAP. Before leaving, Pierre-Paul turned around and said to his sister, "Where's my camera? You got the camera?"

There were nods all around: Yes, we have it. Pierre-Paul turned and walked off the field.

Sunday's game was the first time his father was in a stadium while his son played.

Giants linebacker Mark Herzlich, who two years ago beat cancer, finally lifted the trophy an hour after game's end. He was inactive because of an ankle injury, but his smile was as wide as anyone's. When he passed off the trophy and walked down the stairs, a pair of soldiers from the U.S. Army stopped him.

"You're an inspiration," one of the soldiers said. Herzlich told the man he had it backward.

"You're the inspiration," Herzlich said. "Thanks for everything you guys do."

The soldier nodded and asked Herzlich to sign his seat cushion.

Chase Blackburn grabbed the game's only interception, in the fourth quarter, right in front of the Giants' end zone. Tom Brady had escaped the pass rush, then reared back and fired an ambitious down-field pass. Blackburn, who was signed by the Giants in the middle of the season, leapt into the air and came down with the ball, killing New England's momentum.

After the game, after the stadium had emptied, Blackburn was waiting for his turn with the trophy. He was holding his young son, who was wearing jeans and a blue, authentic "Blackburn" jersey. The little boy was crawling all over his dad, who was still wearing his pads and bleeding from a cut on his forearm. Finally, Blackburn turned to his family and said, "Will you hold him, please? I'm out of energy."

On Blackburn's left biceps is a tattoo that reads, "I've been blessed."

Brandon Jacobs was still sweating, too. His forehead was glistening as he gripped a red Sharpie and tried to sign the hats and T-shirts for Pierre-Paul's family members. A man walked by and told Jacobs he is "a beast," then paused to take a cell phone picture with the Giants' running back.

Jacobs kept signing for Pierre-Paul's family, all of whom were wearing No. 90 jerseys. Someone walked by and asked Jacobs about the game: How did the Giants manage to beat the Patriots?

"We hit them in the mouth," Jacobs said. "What else I got to say?"

Giants linebacker Greg Jones wasn't even near the podium. He was standing, still in full pads and cleats, in a small circle of friends. They embraced, took pictures and occasionally handed the phone to Jones. A few minutes later, Jones put a hand on his friend's shoulder and said, "Oh my god, I gotta take these shoes off."

He kicked off one cleat and then the other. The friend picked up the shoes. Jones was standing in his socks, in the middle of the field, when a man reached through the group and extended a fist to Jones. The man's Super Bowl ring caught the stadium lights, glistening.

"Way to go, champ," said Carl Banks, who won two Super Bowls as a linebacker with the Giants.

The two men gently touched fists, and then Banks wrapped Jones in a hug.(Both from MSU! Go State!)

Giants linebacker Jacquian Williams and cornerback Prince Amukamara were two of the last players to leave the field. A few hundred die-hard Giants fans were leaning over the rails, cheering. Williams stopped, made his way to the railing, and peeled off one of his gloves. He gave it to a fan, who danced his way up the aisle in celebration. Then Williams turned back toward the tunnel. Amukamara jogged over to deliver some high-fives, then ran to catch up with his teammate.

Just as they were entering the underpass of the tunnel, Amukamara leapt onto Williams' back and raised his pointer finger. Williams caught his teammate and carried him off the field, laughing.

Spencer Paysinger just tweeted this:

@SpittyP

Come celebrate our victory tonight at The Griffin NYC, open bar starting at 10pm- a thank you to our fans!

:wub: :banned: :banned: :banned: :X :banned: :banned: :suds: :coffee:

Awesome! Steve Weatherford leaves the float, puts on his helmet and snags a drum and marching the route.

Correction: Weatherford given offer for another 3 years.

How's the salary cap situation? I'd love to see the Giants make a push for UFA Mario Williams. Sell him on being a 4-3 DE again in this scheme and I think he listens. However, that means letting Osi walk but I will take that switch.

How's the salary cap situation? I'd love to see the Giants make a push for UFA Mario Williams. Sell him on being a 4-3 DE again in this scheme and I think he listens. However, that means letting Osi walk but I will take that switch.
I'm hearing about 4 million over the cap. If they get rid of Jacobs, Diehl, McKenzie, and trade Osi they might swing it. But I doubt they make any big moves in FA. Biggest move might be to sign Steve Smith back, he has more reliable hands than Manningham and might be gotten for less than Manningham.Could be Mario Williams seeks a contract so much higher than what Osi wants that the Giants stick with Osi.With Marvin Austin coming back they could shuffle Canty around more to take snaps at DE & DT like Tuck, if Osi is traded.

Rumor is Ballard has a torn ACL. If true unlikely we have either our No1 or No2 TEs for start of next year creating a big a need.

Rumor is Ballard has a turn ACL. If true unlikely we have either our No1 or No2 for start of next year creating a big a need.
Ballard too? IIRC Beckum tore his ACL in the SB too.
Yes. Both tore their ACLs. Both are probably going to be on the PUP, IR or Injury settlement. It's the injury that takes 9 months to a year to get back to playing and about two years to be at full speed. It does make getting a couple of TE's a priority. I hate for the team to play next year with Bear Pascoe as the starting TE.http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/02/giants_jake_ballard_suffered_t.htmlAffordable FA's that are worth a look would be Dreesen, Tamme, or Bennett. M. Bennett has underachieved for the Cowboys, but it wouldn't surprise me if the underachieving organization he's been employed by has something to do with that.

IMO the top priority is still LB because they need at least 2 new starters. I also had offensive line as a top priority, but TE is certainly a much more pressing need now than it was before the Super Bowl. Those 3 areas are the clear top 3 priorities now IMO. They also need a replacement for Jacobs but at least they can find good RBs in the middle rounds of the draft and can use the top 2 or 3 picks on more pressing needs.

This is my offseason wishlist:

Let Manningham walk, sign Steve Smith for a song to play the slot.

Trade Osi for a 2nd or 3rd, and spend some cash on Mario Williams.

Dump Jacobs.

Sign John Carlson on the cheap.

This is my offseason wishlist:Let Manningham walk, sign Steve Smith for a song to play the slot. Trade Osi for a 2nd or 3rd, and spend some cash on Mario Williams. Dump Jacobs. Sign John Carlson on the cheap.
I agree with all of this except Mario Williams. I love him but I don't think they will have the cap space. I think re-signing Tollefson to be the #3 DE behind JPP and Tuck is more realistic considering their cap room and other team needs.ETA - I am also not sure if they can trade Osi. If he is UFA then they will have to franchise him first. If they let him go as a UFA chances are he will result in a 3rd round compensatory pick anyway.

I agree with all of this except Mario Williams. I love him but I don't think they will have the cap space. I think re-signing Tollefson to be the #3 DE behind JPP and Tuck is more realistic considering their cap room and other team needs.ETA - I am also not sure if they can trade Osi. If he is UFA then they will have to franchise him first. If they let him go as a UFA chances are he will result in a 3rd round compensatory pick anyway.
Osi has one more year left on his contract. I think he's due a shade under 4 million in 2012. A few moves and they could afford Mario. Probably a pipe dream though.

Osi has one more year left on his contract. I think he's due a shade under 4 million in 2012. A few moves and they could afford Mario. Probably a pipe dream though.
Mario is only 27 and not a headcase, he could easily command Haynesworth money.

Not seeing the love for bringing ss back. Disaster season and major knee issues. Guess if hes super cheap but he strictly backup quality at this point Imo.

Not seeing the love for bringing ss back. Disaster season and major knee issues. Guess if hes super cheap but he strictly backup quality at this point Imo.
I'm going on the assumption that the Giants were right that he needed more time to get healthy. Also his lack of production with Philly could be due to the mess that the Eagles were last season. If he's back to pre-injury form then he should be cheaper than Manningham and I think he's a more reliable player.

I'm not sure the disaster season is his fault, and he seems healthy. I think he could step in and be Eli's safety blanket again.

I agree. It's not a realistic goal for the team this offseason. They have too many other things to spend the very limited cap space on, and if they cut players to make more cap room, they will only have more needs. Mario isn't going to be enough of an upgrade over Tuck and JPP (or even an upgrade at all) to warrant the kind of money he would cost.

I'm not sure the disaster season is his fault, and he seems healthy. I think he could step in and be Eli's safety blanket again.
I agree, plus he should cost about the vet minimum so it fits in the salary cap. Because of that he won't be that risky if he isn't healthy or has lost too much due to past injuries.

I agree. It's not a realistic goal for the team this offseason. They have too many other things to spend the very limited cap space on, and if they cut players to make more cap room, they will only have more needs. Mario isn't going to be enough of an upgrade over Tuck and JPP (or even an upgrade at all) to warrant the kind of money he would cost.
Also big raises are due to some current players, which may very well make them focus more on the draft, and less on FA.

Also big raises are due to some current players, which may very well make them focus more on the draft, and less on FA.
Yup, Nicks and Cruz are FA after next season I believe. I think the will look at a low cost FA TE or two. A TE worth an early pick in the draft might not be there since teams might start copying those high powered offenses and grab TEs. Unless teams copy the Giants and try to load up on Dline in the early rounds.

IMO the top priority is still LB because they need at least 2 new starters. I also had offensive line as a top priority, but TE is certainly a much more pressing need now than it was before the Super Bowl. Those 3 areas are the clear top 3 priorities now IMO. They also need a replacement for Jacobs but at least they can find good RBs in the middle rounds of the draft and can use the top 2 or 3 picks on more pressing needs.
I would be shocked if LB is addressed. We have one two superbowls with a very weak LB core. Basically the team is hoping one of the young guys develops next to Boley. The giants play so many 3 safety sets that it is really not a need.

I would be shocked if LB is addressed. We have one two superbowls with a very weak LB core. Basically the team is hoping one of the young guys develops next to Boley. The giants play so many 3 safety sets that it is really not a need.
They play so many 3 safety sets because they have nothing at LB. It's their primary need aside from LT and now it looks like TE is also going to be up there. Just because a team wins the Super Bowl doesn't mean doesn't have certain needs and/or shouldn't address them.

They play so many 3 safety sets because they have nothing at LB. It's their primary need aside from LT and now it looks like TE is also going to be up there. Just because a team wins the Super Bowl doesn't mean doesn't have certain needs and/or shouldn't address them.
Look, I agree they need better LBs but I just don't see Reese addressing the issue. Think with Boley, Kiwi and the way Williams improved he thinks he has servicable LBs with Goff gettng healthy and Blackburn probably around at the minimum he won't do anything with the position. Is it ideal no but it is what I think they will do after watching their drafting and player development the last few years.

Exactly. Perry was playing what he was dealt. A solid LB would make this a top 5 D.

Areas of concern at each spot on offense

O-line.... The O-line is very average and inconsistent. The Giants used to be able to run the ball well a couple of years ago but if you watch closely the holes are often not there. They also are average at pass blocking too. Their average age of starters on the line is pushing 30. They are very inconsistent game in and game out and I think this is a direct indication of their level of talent on the line.

Tight End...with the injuries endured in the SB this is going to be a need of some sort. I happen to think that this may be a plug and play spot for the Giants. Boss last year was effective as he needed to be before moving onto Oakland. Ballard and Beckem each flashed effectiveness this season as well. I don't know how much is the system but I'm guessing the Giants trust they can find guys to play in that system as was the case this year.

RB....I really don't know what to think of this position going forward. Bradshaw rarely practices throughout the week and it may be one of the reasons the run game has no rhythm on sundays. He has bad ankles and I don't have any idea how long his career will hold up. Jacobs is old and a FA and has very little to offer going forward. When he runs hard and down hill he is useable but not worth the very little he offers the offense unless he is super cheap. Danny Ware is about to turn 27 and is a career back up at best. I have no clue how Scott is progressing as he has seen no real game experience at all. Therefore I think this position needs to be addressed somehow. It may be with a guy like Scott entering the rotation but like I said it is question marks.

WR.... Manningham will be offered more money some where else. He won't demand a huge contract but my guess is someone outsideo f NY sees him being more valuable than the Giants do. With the emergence of Cruz, Manningham is a luxury if they can get him on the cheap but he is expendable as they could use the money elsewhere. I happen to think and like people mentioning Steve Smith coming back to NY. There are a number of factors that may have lead to him being invisible in Philly. Smith knows the system and if Manningham was to walk he would fill in so nicely. Especially with NY probably having to have a brand new TE taking reps to start the year. Smith was a great slot WR with NY and he did well outside as well with them. Therefore he and Cruz would both be comfortable playing both roles in different situations when they run 3 WR sets. I don't think Jernigan is ready to take on a role big enough for a championship caliber team at this stage.

FB... Hynoski has a very good future going forward. He looks very mature out there and makes plays he needs to.

Carter Can Fly pretty much wrote exactly what I would've expressed.

I think O-Line is a big need in the draft and IMHO should be the top priority. McKenzie won't be re-signed and we don't have the current depth to confidently replace him. I'd be OK with it if we drafted two O-linemen.

I tend to think we can meet our needs at TE in free agency. We shouldn't have to break the bank to do it but can also get the exact type of TE we'd need to cover until Ballard is healthy enough to return.

I like the notion of drafting another RB. I tend to think there won't be an option suitable to be drafted at the end of the first. However you can usually find some good production or upside talent in the middle rounds (think of what SF did last year netting Kendall Hunter in the 4th). Jacobs may very well have played his last game as a Giant. With Bradshaw's ailing feet we need better depth than we have. This shouldn't be a tough spot to fix.

I really have a hard time believing the Giants would invest a 1st or 2nd in a LB. The prospect would have to be too good to pass up. We're currently relatively young at the position and still have room to develop, although I don't foresee any all-pro's in our current crop. I could see us adding another in the draft but tend to think it would be a late pickup.

Thanks Mario for the big catch, now feel free to clean out your locker! I doubt the Giants get into any bidding war for his services. Mario, for his production, is still a very unpolished receiver. If route running fundamentals haven't shown up by now they're not going to. I'm fine with allowing Mario to walk and hopefully luring a free agent WR in to replace him. There are a lot of receivers on the market this offseason which should limit the pricetags a bit. We can get a receiver every bit as good as Mario and potentially spend less money. The fact that any receiver coming in for a visit knows he'll have a two time Super Bowl MVP tossing him the rock can only help our recruiting efforts.

Weatherford HAS to be re-signed, Plain and simple.

Osi has another year left on his deal so there really isn't much that needs to be done there. I've been of the impression that the Giants plan on letting him play out his contract and then walk as a 30+ year old free agent. As much as I like Osi's play, I'm not opposed to that rationale. The only contract I'd be willing to offer Osi at this point is a 1 year extension that gives him a nice up front bonus to keep him happy but keeps him under contract for two more years. We'll have gotten the best of Osi at that point and won't be paying top dollar for a player who will likely decline (think Jason Sehorn deal). I think there is a less than 1 percent chance that we'd end up with Mario Williams. He'll likely get the largest offseason contract that doesn't go to a QB. He's an elite talent and there will be a line of suitors hoping to ink him. Let's face it, our team just showed what can be accomplished with a pass rush from the front 4 that doesn't need additional blitzing. Wouldn't it stand to reason that Mario Williams then becomes the hottest commodity of the offseason? We've never been a team that pursues the biggest fish. Mario Williams just isn't going to happen here.

I'd like to see us re-sign Terrel Thomas. Hopefully his injury keeps his open market cost low. We'll see. Strong cover corners are in high demand, even if they're coming off injury. However I'd feel good about Webster/Thomas with Prince as a reserve (assuming Ross doesn't return. I'd also be ok with drafting a corner again. Really can't have too many as this season showed and we're in a conference with Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees, both of whom we'll have to face next year.

In summary:

Make O-Line the priority in the draft with 1-2 selections

Target a RB in the early middle rounds

Add another corner prospect

Feel free to take a flyer on a LB in mid to late rounds

Address TE and WR in free agency

Don't be surprised if the Giants trade back from the 32nd spot.

LBS - Giants need a Big stud MLB - Hightower would be nice

Goff - I don't think he was very good before his injury ... Wouldn't be surprised if he is not in the plans

Greg Jones - Had problems in coverage but the guy looks like a MLB ... He'll learn and be great Depth if not a decent starting MLB

Williams - Was the best draft pick the Giants had this year. Had the biggest impact, fast and good cover LB. He will be a starter.

Blackburn - I would keep this guy around ... he's obviously better than some of the chumps they've been keeping around. Cheap too.

OL - They definitely need a young stud or 2 to solidify this line (Definitely use the high draft picks here.

Baas - Fine

Snee - Fine

Boothe - Big Pear shaped fella = MVP of the Giants Oline this year ... IMO. Played everywhere and did a good job

Mckenzie - It's great to never have to worry about RT ... you never even here this guys name but He's getting up there and they need to line up his replacement now.

LT - Draft a stud here ... Not sure if I am sold on Beatty (move to RT?) , Diehl is coming to the end ... I would like him to stay for depth if possible.

TEs - Definitely need a couple of guys that can block and receive ... they can find serviceable TEs low in the draft or via FAs. I Wouldn't waste a high pick.

Ballard - He's not that good and won't be ready next year

Beckem - he's a bust and injured - probably not in the plans

Poscoe - Sloooooowwwwwww. I like him ... but he is just not that good.

RBs - I know everyone likes Bradsahaw and Jacobs but ... I really think this is a need. I think this is another position that you could fill late in the draft or via free agency. I would like to see a guy they can give 20-25 touches and can catch ... If there is any way in the world to get Richardson (trade up) they should.

Bradshaw - He did not look good to me most of the time ... looks like he is unable to cutback any more because of his feet. I wouldn't count on him.

Jacobs - Getting old ... I think he is a FA ... he is not a well rounded back.

Saftey - A big 6-2 220lb saftey that can cover and knock your head off ... that should be easy to come by!

I think one of the top priorities should be a return man. For the past few years the return game has been pitiful on both KR and PR. I know that Jernigan and Hixon were suppossed to fill this roll coming into the season, but we all know how that worked out. It came to a point on PR, that most of us fans in here can agree, were just happy when the ball was caught.

Users who are viewing this thread