What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Laker Talk 2014-15* O-fer for Okafor (1 Viewer)

tommyGunZ

Footballguy
Fresh start so that the force can be with Big Game James in a couple of weeks. D'Antoni's out, Kevin Ollie rumored to be in, Kobe's in Germany, V. Stiviano probably sitting front row in purple and gold this year.

First order of business is the draft lottery, and then adding what will almost surely be our starting PF assuming we get the 6th pick. Current mocks project the Lakers taking Julius Randle or Noah Vonleh.

Per the LA Times, we have ~ 28M to spend in the offseason. With Durant and Love possible FA's next year, keeping the gun powder dry is probably the move, unless Melo is willing to come to LA.

Why not offer Nash a $1M buyout, and then pay him $8M to be Ollie's assistant? Clears a ton of cap space and Nash gets paid.

Last edited by a moderator:
GordonGekko said:
Fresh start so that the force can be with Big Game James in a couple of weeks. D'Antoni's out, Kevin Ollie rumored to be in, Kobe's in Germany, V. Stiviano probably sitting front row in purple and gold this year.

First order of business is the draft lottery, and then adding what will almost surely be our starting PF assuming we get the 6th pick. Current mocks project the Lakers taking Julius Randle or Noah Vonleh.

Per the LA Times, we have ~ 28M to spend in the offseason. With Durant and Love possible FA's next year, keeping the gun powder dry is probably the move, unless Melo is willing to come to LA.

Why not offer Nash a $1M buyout, and then pay him $8M to be Ollie's assistant? Clears a ton of cap space and Nash gets paid.
To my understanding, based on achievement markers hit this season, Nash's contract for next season vested, meaning the only way the Lakers can get out from under his contract is the stretch provision.

Some basic issues with the Lakers I see

1) If you can't defend the rim, nothing else you do matters. Teams that cannot defend the rim are generally not contenders. Unless you have some type of major outlier type situation or a once in a generation player like LeBron James, then you need size in the middle who can play defense and guard the cup.

2) If Kobe Bryant continues to refuse to buy into both team defense and stepping up individually as a defender, nothing else you do matters. Defense wins championships. You can skirt by like Kobe has for years when you have enviable depth and a strong rotation of big men, but given the current roster limitations/situation, he's going to have to step up and commit defensively. All the little things and dirty work that Mamba took for granted that bench/role players did, he's going to have to pick up the slack. Fight through a screen for once in your life. Set a pick. Show good movement WITHOUT the ball. Take better shots/show better shot selection. Work on a 3 point shot. Tim Duncan is the classic case of a player who is not what he used to be in his prime, but subverts what he could push individually for the sake of the team effort.

3) The place looks like a wasteland for coaches. When your HOF coaches writes two books in a decade basically going over the same problems, it's not a pretty picture. Mike Brown and D'Antoni might not have been the right coaches, but the way they were blamed/hatcheted was perverse and pathetic. Is this really a job that the top candidates will want to take if they think it's a fast ticket to getting whacked as a head coach? How does a coach get the respect of his players when his star player shot jacks trying to break Jabbar's record, won't play defense and chews up enough cap where you are limited in doing much else with the roster?

I've said it before, massive cap space is NOT a sign of a healthy and well run team. Plenty of teams carve out tons of space, but to get to the salary floor mandated by the CBA, they have to overpay or pick up mid tier free agents that doom them to the treadmill cycle.

What teams need most is "cap flexibility"

A strong mix of veteran players on cheap contracts, some valuable expiring contracts, young players with upside outperforming their rookie contracts. Combine this with some draft pick ammo that's been stockpiled and some cap room, and you've got the best mix of variable options. You aren't building a contender through free agency, you are building it through the draft.

The Lakers need to, if they want to contend again, and as soon as possible

1) Find someone who can defend the rim. It's definitely not Sacre.

2) Being the process of acquiring draft assets. Picks are cost controlled labor, at worst they are trade fodder, at medium that they are leverage points to push out bad contracts. Draft pick ammo opens up lots of opportunities for a team.

3) Mine heavily and become effective in the 2nd round of the draft and with undrafted free agents. Why can't the Lakers have their own version of Patrick Beverley? A Chandler Parsons? If you want depth and solid rotation contributors, you need to make use of the value of street free agents and 2nd rounders.

4) Get Kobe to buy in, buy into ceasing being a coach killer, buy into defense, buy into better shot selection. Otherwise the team is going nowhere until his contract is off the books.

A prime free agent like Kevin Durant is NOT going to want to come to a team that has no potential. No young players on rookie contracts with upside. No cap space. No draft picks. No stability on the coaching front. The Lakers "brand name" isn't going to overcome all that.

Everyone wants a quick fix, there is no quick fix, the new CBA has placed limits that used to benefit large market teams with financial weight to push around. Not anymore.
this all sounds great...see you in 5 or 6 years when you are able to put it into place. with kobe around and the majority of draft pics spoken for this is going to be a bumpy ride.

They either get a decent guy in the draft his year or trade the pick for a decent guy. If they keep the pick Gasol comes back on a 2yr deal in the 10-12M range. Nash comes off the books and sign Kevin Love next offseason. The offseason after that, Kobe and Gasol come off the books, they sign Durant. They'd obviously need more contributors around, but that'd be a pretty good start.

GordonGekko said:

To my understanding, based on achievement markers hit this season, Nash's contract for next season vested, meaning the only way the Lakers can get out from under his contract is the stretch provision.

Some basic issues with the Lakers I see

1) If you can't defend the rim, nothing else you do matters. Teams that cannot defend the rim are generally not contenders. Unless you have some type of major outlier type situation or a once in a generation player like LeBron James, then you need size in the middle who can play defense and guard the cup.

2) If Kobe Bryant continues to refuse to buy into both team defense and stepping up individually as a defender, nothing else you do matters. Defense wins championships. You can skirt by like Kobe has for years when you have enviable depth and a strong rotation of big men, but given the current roster limitations/situation, he's going to have to step up and commit defensively. All the little things and dirty work that Mamba took for granted that bench/role players did, he's going to have to pick up the slack. Fight through a screen for once in your life. Set a pick. Show good movement WITHOUT the ball. Take better shots/show better shot selection. Work on a 3 point shot. Tim Duncan is the classic case of a player who is not what he used to be in his prime, but subverts what he could push individually for the sake of the team effort.

3) The place looks like a wasteland for coaches. When your HOF coaches writes two books in a decade basically going over the same problems, it's not a pretty picture. Mike Brown and D'Antoni might not have been the right coaches, but the way they were blamed/hatcheted was perverse and pathetic. Is this really a job that the top candidates will want to take if they think it's a fast ticket to getting whacked as a head coach? How does a coach get the respect of his players when his star player shot jacks trying to break Jabbar's record, won't play defense and chews up enough cap where you are limited in doing much else with the roster?

I've said it before, massive cap space is NOT a sign of a healthy and well run team. Plenty of teams carve out tons of space, but to get to the salary floor mandated by the CBA, they have to overpay or pick up mid tier free agents that doom them to the treadmill cycle.

What teams need most is "cap flexibility"

A strong mix of veteran players on cheap contracts, some valuable expiring contracts, young players with upside outperforming their rookie contracts. Combine this with some draft pick ammo that's been stockpiled and some cap room, and you've got the best mix of variable options. You aren't building a contender through free agency, you are building it through the draft.

The Lakers need to, if they want to contend again, and as soon as possible

1) Find someone who can defend the rim. It's definitely not Sacre.

2) Being the process of acquiring draft assets. Picks are cost controlled labor, at worst they are trade fodder, at medium that they are leverage points to push out bad contracts. Draft pick ammo opens up lots of opportunities for a team.

3) Mine heavily and become effective in the 2nd round of the draft and with undrafted free agents. Why can't the Lakers have their own version of Patrick Beverley? A Chandler Parsons? If you want depth and solid rotation contributors, you need to make use of the value of street free agents and 2nd rounders.

4) Get Kobe to buy in, buy into ceasing being a coach killer, buy into defense, buy into better shot selection. Otherwise the team is going nowhere until his contract is off the books.

A prime free agent like Kevin Durant is NOT going to want to come to a team that has no potential. No young players on rookie contracts with upside. No cap space. No draft picks. No stability on the coaching front. The Lakers "brand name" isn't going to overcome all that.

Everyone wants a quick fix, there is no quick fix, the new CBA has placed limits that used to benefit large market teams with financial weight to push around. Not anymore.
Agree with much/most of this. The Lakers sold out to try to win with the Kobe/Nash/Gasol/Howard core, and that obviously detonated in their faces, so they are working with few assets. But I disagree that a turnaround can't be swift. San Antonio and Dallas are old. OKC has what, 1 more year left before Westbrook and Durant flee. Houston, the Clippers, and GS are younger and better set up for the future, but they aren't without their own blemishes.

I'd argue that it's more likely than not that Kobe is still a top 20 player when he returns in the fall. Homerism certainly, but his play has not fallen off, he's only been injured. They are set to get a young stud in this draft, and have the $ to bring in a max FA. Vets will sign in LA, as will younger players with upside for a shot at playing in LA for the storied franchise.

Make no mistake, the Lakers need to hit at least two HRs, one with their pick and another with a big time FA. But it's certainly possible, if not probable.

Durant is signed through the 2015/2016 season, Westbrook will be an FA the year after that.

I still vote proper ####ed for the Lakers.

Yeah, looks like a three-year rebuild at the least. I don't think you get one single season with both Pau and Kobe playing 50% of the games due to health concerns.

I have no idea how to fix this. They should have gotten whatever they could have last season for Gasol. There was some interest. Kobe's best days are far behind him. He's been playing since he was 18 (17?). And he's never really become the team leader or player the team needs.

Plus ownership is a mess. Putting Mike D'Antoni together with the oldest roster in the league? How did anyone ever think that would work?

Yeah, looks like a three-year rebuild at the least. I don't think you get one single season with both Pau and Kobe playing 50% of the games due to health concerns.

I have no idea how to fix this. They should have gotten whatever they could have last season for Gasol. There was some interest. Kobe's best days are far behind him. He's been playing since he was 18 (17?). And he's never really become the team leader or player the team needs.

Plus ownership is a mess. Putting Mike D'Antoni together with the oldest roster in the league? How did anyone ever think that would work?
:mellow:

Sorry, meant post Jackson era. He's a great player, no doubt. But I don't think he has enough left in the tank to take them back to the promised land.

They kinda crapped the bed when they didn't see the writing on the wall and let him walk via FA, or trade him prior. Now even if he comes back and plays well he's untradable due to his max contract.

I can't believe any of you, even gunz, think Kobe is a key part of any successful future plan. Even if he comes back and goes nuts this year (he won't) that HAS to be about it for him. And this team is going nowhere next year.

I agree Love is a good bet to go there, but so what? What is around him? You'll get likely the 6th pick this year. Who knows if that player turns into anything.

I don't know why you're talking about Durant and Westbrook either, they both have multiple years left.

I can't believe any of you, even gunz, think Kobe is a key part of any successful future plan. Even if he comes back and goes nuts this year (he won't) that HAS to be about it for him. And this team is going nowhere next year.

I agree Love is a good bet to go there, but so what? What is around him? You'll get likely the 6th pick this year. Who knows if that player turns into anything.

I don't know why you're talking about Durant and Westbrook either, they both have multiple years left.
Nobody's expecting this team to go anywhere next year.

Durant's a free agent in the summer of 2016, which is also when Bryant's new contract is over.

And would want to bolt from the best team in the Western conference for what reason?
I don't know that they are the best team in the conference. If they haven't won a ring by the time his FA comes up I could easily see him bailing. Maybe he goes back to DC, who knows.

Anybody see that Jeanie Buss interview where she talked about how Kareem went out? She broke down with regret. Literally started to cry. Then she talked about how much it meant to Dad and the Laker family the fact that they are one of a dying breed of family-run sports franchises and how loyalty meant so much to them and stuff. Then she went into Kobe being with one team since he was 18...how that would never happen again...in any sport...and how much it meant to them...on and on. What a steep price to pay for a "thank you" and a reputation...along with burying the franchise for the time being.

Kobe the albatross.

I know you all know this stuff but that interview made it even clearer, for me anyway. And I can see why the old guy wanted it, especially on his way out. Still, very frustrating. Not so sure about the future these days...

Clifford said:
And would want to bolt from the best team in the Western conference for what reason?
No way he stays. OKC traded away a shot at a title to save money.

When you have a chance to go down as one of the 3 best forwards to ever play the game, you don't say with a franchise that won't shell out a boatload of money when they catch lightning in a bottle. There are other franchises that will. They are all in more exciting places to live too.

The most amazing fact about the Lakers is that, since the early 1950s, there's never been longer than a 3-4 year stretch when they weren't in contention for the championship. That's over a 60 year run, and the consistency of it makes them IMO the greatest franchise in the history of American sports, even exceeding the Yankees, who had much longer stretches of mediocrity.

I don't know how they will solve their current problems, but it won't surprise me when they do.

Premier said:
I can't believe any of you, even gunz, think Kobe is a key part of any successful future plan.
I can't believe people actually take the time to read and respond to Gecko posts.

Serious question; has there ever been a multiple MVP winner and/or lead dog on multiple title teams that played for more than two different teams? Shaq? Any others?

Clifford said:

When you have a chance to go down as one of the 3 best forwards to ever play the game, you don't say with a franchise that won't shell out a boatload of money when they catch lightning in a bottle. There are other franchises that will. They are all in more exciting places to live too.
I'd be seething if I was Durant. You are wildly underpaid and still your owner breaks up the team so he can put more money in his own pocket. They bought the team for $350mill and it is now probably worth north of 700mill eight years later.

The most amazing fact about the Lakers is that, since the early 1950s, there's never been longer than a 3-4 year stretch when they weren't in contention for the championship. That's over a 60 year run, and the consistency of it makes them IMO the greatest franchise in the history of American sports, even exceeding the Yankees, who had much longer stretches of mediocrity.

I don't know how they will solve their current problems, but it won't surprise me when they do.
Aren't they going on 4 years currently?

Clifford said:

I'd be seething if I was Durant. You are wildly underpaid and still your owner breaks up the team so he can put more money in his own pocket. They bought the team for $350mill and it is now probably worth north of 700mill eight years later.
This. They've made hundreds of millions, but didn't want to splurge on Harden.

No. This is really the first year. Last year they began the season in contention. Injuries ended that.

No. This is really the first year. Last year they began the season in contention. Injuries ended that.
:lmao:

Began the season? Didn't they go oh-fer-preseason and then get their HC canned two weeks in?

Began the season? Didn't they go oh-fer-preseason and then get their HC canned two weeks in?
Could've happened that way. I don't remember exactly. It's all a blur at this point.

Clifford said:

This is one lost to history. They offered harden a 50 million dollar extension. He had started a total of 5 games his first three years. No one knew he would end Up as a top 10 nBa player. If there was an error made it was not playing out one more year and seeing what would have happened. And considering Westbrook got hurt and they didn't even make the WCF last year, it is far from a given that they would have ended up with any better of an outcome had they held on to him.

Could've happened that way. I don't remember exactly. It's all a blur at this point.
Don't wanna start letting facts get in your way.

Clifford said:

This is one lost to history. They offered harden a 50 million dollar extension. He had started a total of 5 games his first three years. No one knew he would end Up as a top 10 nBa player. If there was an error made it was not playing out one more year and seeing what would have happened. And considering Westbrook got hurt and they didn't even make the WCF last year, it is far from a given that they would have ended up with any better of an outcome had they held on to him.
A lot of what he brings offensively is redundant with the two other stars. Add to that, the fact that he fits horrible defensively in their pack line scheme and disappearing act in the post season, and I think it was good move for them to move on. It can be argued that they could have held out for more but he really didn't fit on that roster IMO.

Premier said:

Bryant was Jeannie's call. She wanted to see him retire in the same jersey. Most of you guys laughed at me calling him the franchise glue. That's because most of you don't know Laker basketball. You still don't. So laugh some more. It's as funny as you guys trying to shave off message board belly.

But alas, I don't know what Laker basketball is anymore. Mostly because it isn't Kupchak, Gasol, etc. Seriously, an aged, old legged Bryant is about as close to Laker basketball as a brand. That's why Jeannie made that call. Without him, they are unwatchable, even though you may see a glimpse of really not much with Jodie Meeks. Thing is, Meeks ain't even Eddie Jones. Before Bryant, at least I thought Jones, Shaq and Van Exel displayed Laker basketball. Hell, I had hope with Elden Campbell. Now it's a total mess, but this ain't on Bryant. Bryant even somewhat able to slug it out on court would bring it. He has a ton more experience as a player and talent than anybody else on the team. Gasol? LOL, most of you idiots thought he can carry a team on his own. Yeah well, how does that #### taste now? Like it always has. Welcome to Pau Gasol.

I actually think that if Kobe weren't there they would jump right back to being the premier FA location in the league.

Premier said:

Bryant was Jeannie's call. She wanted to see him retire in the same jersey. Most of you guys laughed at me calling him the franchise glue. That's because most of you don't know Laker basketball. You still don't. So laugh some more. It's as funny as you guys trying to shave off message board belly.

But alas, I don't know what Laker basketball is anymore. Mostly because it isn't Kupchak, Gasol, etc. Seriously, an aged, old legged Bryant is about as close to Laker basketball as a brand. That's why Jeannie made that call. Without him, they are unwatchable, even though you may see a glimpse of really not much with Jodie Meeks. Thing is, Meeks ain't even Eddie Jones. Before Bryant, at least I thought Jones, Shaq and Van Exel displayed Laker basketball. Hell, I had hope with Elden Campbell. Now it's a total mess, but this ain't on Bryant. Bryant even somewhat able to slug it out on court would bring it. He has a ton more experience as a player and talent than anybody else on the team. Gasol? LOL, most of you idiots thought he can carry a team on his own. Yeah well, how does that #### taste now? Like it always has. Welcome to Pau Gasol.
Say what now?

Premier said:

Say what now?
You mean you tried to read this? I'm surprised. Most of your posts seem like you don't know how.

Premier said:

Say what now?
You mean you tried to read this? I'm surprised. Most of your posts seem like you don't know how.
Why would I be on a message board if I couldn't read

Premier said:

Say what now?
Yeah, the first question is why? The next question is: why?

ETA: I edited this to put the question marks in. It helps when you think about it.

Premier said:

Say what now?
Yeah, the first question is why? The next question is: why?

ETA: I edited this to put the question marks in. It helps when you think about it.
Go easy on the comedy, Leno.

Premier said:

They weren't really been watchable when he was healthy.

I don't think Ollie's a great NBA fit, at least not yet. Or K or Calipari, for that matter. Ollie's a good-potentially-great recruiter, K and Calipari are obviously the best recruiters, and they're all very good at getting their teams to buy in to the system, but none of them really stand out to me as X's and O's guys. I think Bo Ryan would probably be able to step in and do a really good job in the Association.

I don't think Ollie's a great NBA fit, at least not yet. Or K or Calipari, for that matter. Ollie's a good-potentially-great recruiter, K and Calipari are obviously the best recruiters, and they're all very good at getting their teams to buy in to the system, but none of them really stand out to me as X's and O's guys. I think Bo Ryan would probably be able to step in and do a really good job in the Association.
I think Calipari would be a bad choice. I don't think he'd work in the pro game. At least K has the Olympics experience coaching pros - I don't think he's a realistic option anyway, I don't think he's interested. One of the Laker local radio honks is saying they're trying to get permission from the bulls to talk to Thibs. Couldn't get more opposite from D'Antoni if you tried. There are also stories in the local press mentioning Derek Fisher as a possibility. I have no idea how he'd do as a coach. Byron Scott is hanging around, he was doing the pre/post game t.v. show on the Laker cable station this year.

I'm surprised Sterling didn't try to hire Bo. He still may take his Clippers windfall and buy the Badgers.

What they really need a top notch center to play alongside Elgin and West. There's a rumor that Wilt Chamberlain might be interested.

I think Calipari would be a bad choice. I don't think he'd work in the pro game. At least K has the Olympics experience coaching pros - I don't think he's a realistic option anyway, I don't think he's interested. One of the Laker local radio honks is saying they're trying to get permission from the bulls to talk to Thibs. Couldn't get more opposite from D'Antoni if you tried. There are also stories in the local press mentioning Derek Fisher as a possibility. I have no idea how he'd do as a coach. Byron Scott is hanging around, he was doing the pre/post game t.v. show on the Laker cable station this year.
K isn't one much for counter-moves, or counter-coounter-moves, he basically sticks with his scheme and deviates very little from it. And that's most often times good enough when you have a roster loaded with 5-star recruits, or USA Olympians.

Dunno if it'd work as well in the NBA, where teams are much closer together in talent.

Fisher or Scott would be hilarious/awesome.

Good Posting Judge said:
Gr00vus said:
Good Posting Judge said:
K isn't one much for counter-moves, or counter-coounter-moves, he basically sticks with his scheme and deviates very little from it. And that's most often times good enough when you have a roster loaded with 5-star recruits, or USA Olympians.

Dunno if it'd work as well in the NBA, where teams are much closer together in talent.

I would expect Krzyzewski is smart enough to realize that he'd have to adapt to the pro game. But he's definitely smart enough to recognize the Lakers job as a no-win proposition. He passed up better NBA opportunities in the past; he's not going to jump at this one at age 67.

Good Posting Judge said:
Gr00vus said:
Good Posting Judge said:

I would expect Krzyzewski is smart enough to realize that he'd have to adapt to the pro game. But he's definitely smart enough to recognize the Lakers job as a no-win proposition. He passed up better NBA opportunities in the past; he's not going to jump at this one at age 67.
Yeah, I think 1K wins and a potential fifth title is more important. He's well compensated and has almost total control over that team, not so much with a pro job on the latter.

Users who are viewing this thread