What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do You Believe Aliens Have Visited Earth? (1 Viewer)

Do You Believe Aliens Have Visited Earth?

• Yes

Votes: 92 37.1%
  • No

Votes: 156 62.9%

• Total voters

chet

Footballguy
This is not a debate about whether alien life exists but whether aliens have visited Earth. Clearly, if you don't believe alien life exists, they can't have visited Earth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exist, but have not visited...

Earth is a grain of sand on the beach in the Universe.
This.There are billions of stars in our galaxy. There are billions of galaxies in our universe. It's even possible that there are billions of universes. We are not all that special.

We haven't done anything noteworthy to be visited. They may be monitoring us to see when we do something significant like develop FTL space flight.

Exist, but have not visited...

Earth is a grain of sand on the beach in the Universe.
This.There are billions of stars in our galaxy. There are billions of galaxies in our universe. It's even possible that there are billions of universes. We are not all that special.
I agree. Watching to many Hollywood movies tends to make us think that Earth is special. We are special......as far as we know. It's just there is so much out there that we don't know. The grain of sand analogy is app. Except I would say we are a grain of sand on a beach on one planet in one galaxy, amongst trillions of galaxies in possibly trillions of universes. No way we have been visited. IMHO.

The technology or evolution needed is immense. If it was done, they'd let us know. And I mean let us know more than probing Farmer Cooter!

I suppose it's possible in theory to bend space/time or whatever and shoot through a wormhole. If we ever did that and found life elsewhere, we'd probably make contact, no? And probably keep going back to have a cup of tea.

Assuming you define alien as any non earth life form. Bacteria, simple cell organisms, etc. Intellegent or complicated life who knows.

The technology or evolution needed is immense. If it was done, they'd let us know. And I mean let us know more than probing Farmer Cooter!

I suppose it's possible in theory to bend space/time or whatever and shoot through a wormhole. If we ever did that and found life elsewhere, we'd probably make contact, no? And probably keep going back to have a cup of tea.
I suspect we'd adopt the prime directive from Star Trek. We wouldn't mess with a lesser civilization. So, assuming other species feel similarly, if they have the technology to visit us they probably are just observing as we "evolve."

I suspect we'd adopt the prime directive from Star Trek. We wouldn't mess with a lesser civilization. So, assuming other species feel similarly, if they have the technology to visit us they probably are just observing as we "evolve."
I agree but wouldn't it be more fun to mess with them? If any species are watching us, I hope one gets a wild hair and decides to have some fun with it.

No, and I really don't believe alien life exists elsewhere either.
None at all? Its possible alien life exists right in this solar system and I would wager we find it before my life is through. Then there are billions of galaxies with billions of stars and billions of solar systems. The possibilities are out there and they are not in short demand.

I think at this point, its fairly certain that alien life exists. Intelligent or not would be the question, wouldn't it?

I agree but wouldn't it be more fun to mess with them? If any species are watching us, I hope one gets a wild hair and decides to have some fun with it.
They did this already. It's called God.

No, but if they did, no one on earth knows about it and they did it in a way we can't detect.

TheAristocrat said:
Jayrod said:
None at all? Its possible alien life exists right in this solar system and I would wager we find it before my life is through. Then there are billions of galaxies with billions of stars and billions of solar systems. The possibilities are out there and they are not in short demand.

I think at this point, its fairly certain that alien life exists. Intelligent or not would be the question, wouldn't it?
The question centers on how life comes into existence. Sure if you believe that life somehow just happened, then that makes some sense.

But my issue is twofold:

1) no one really has a decent working theory for life coming from non-life

2) the parameters needed for life as we know it are actually very, very tight. There is a good possibility that there isn't really even a decent match to earth in the universe. I know billions and billions, etc....still a whole lot of things have to be just right. Slight deviations in either direction and then its impossible for carbon based life forms to survive.

The whole concept is really centered around your approach to #1. If you believe that life got here somehow so it has to be possible, then it makes sense to believe that it is probable to have happened elsewhere. If you believe that God created it, then it seems like God would have to be the one to make the life start elsewhere and there is no indication to us that he has. Doesn't mean that he didn't, but we don't have any indication of another physical world in existence. But then again, spiritual realms are a whole other world, so I guess I could say that I believe there is "life" elsewhere, but not as we know it here on earth.

The universe (well, ours anyway) is about 14 billion years old. Earth is about 5 billion. We probably weren't the first nor the smartest life form. So have others visited us at some point in our history? Maybe, maybe not - but I lean towards maybe.

TheAristocrat said:
Jayrod said:
None at all? Its possible alien life exists right in this solar system and I would wager we find it before my life is through. Then there are billions of galaxies with billions of stars and billions of solar systems. The possibilities are out there and they are not in short demand.I think at this point, its fairly certain that alien life exists. Intelligent or not would be the question, wouldn't it?
The question centers on how life comes into existence. Sure if you believe that life somehow just happened, then that makes some sense.But my issue is twofold:

2) the parameters needed for life as we know it are actually very, very tight. There is a good possibility that there isn't really even a decent match to earth in the universe. I know billions and billions, etc....still a whole lot of things have to be just right. Slight deviations in either direction and then its impossible for carbon based life forms to survive.

The whole concept is really centered around your approach to #1. If you believe that life got here somehow so it has to be possible, then it makes sense to believe that it is probable to have happened elsewhere. If you believe that God created it, then it seems like God would have to be the one to make the life start elsewhere and there is no indication to us that he has. Doesn't mean that he didn't, but we don't have any indication of another physical world in existence. But then again, spiritual realms are a whole other world, so I guess I could say that I believe there is "life" elsewhere, but not as we know it here on earth.
we've discovered dozens of exoplanets in the goldilocks zone already, and we've barely started looking. A planet doesn't have to be a match for Earth to sustain the life that we know.

StrikeS2k said:
MikeMan said:

Based on our past dealings with each other i doubt this

conquer and enslave is far more likely than leave alone

There are estimated trillions of planets with billions of earth-like planets. There's no way some of them don't have at least microbial life.

We would never know if they did. They would look at us like the scum that we are. Nothing more than greedy barbarians for the most part. Who would want to contact a greedy society of barbarians?

we've discovered dozens of exoplanets in the goldilocks zone already, and we've barely started looking. A planet doesn't have to be a match for Earth to sustain the life that we know.
And it's crazy to think that the first exoplanet discovered in 1988. That's not very long ago at all.

TheAristocrat said:
Jayrod said:
None at all? Its possible alien life exists right in this solar system and I would wager we find it before my life is through. Then there are billions of galaxies with billions of stars and billions of solar systems. The possibilities are out there and they are not in short demand.I think at this point, its fairly certain that alien life exists. Intelligent or not would be the question, wouldn't it?
The question centers on how life comes into existence. Sure if you believe that life somehow just happened, then that makes some sense.But my issue is twofold:

There is a big difference between a planet that we could exist on and a planet that could form sustainable life on its own. Atmosphere, water cycles, temperature ranges, light, air cycles, radiation, gravitational force, makeup of the planets surface, makeup of the planets core....there is a lot more than just being in the right distance from the nearest star.

StrikeS2k said:
MikeMan said:

Based on our past dealings with each other i doubt this

conquer and enslave is far more likely than leave alone
You have to look who we'll be sending. It won't be politicians or plumbers. It will be scientists. And they are the ones guiding the mission as well. I think we'll have thought this through before we make the trip.

There is a big difference between a planet that we could exist on and a planet that could form sustainable life on its own. Atmosphere, water cycles, temperature ranges, light, air cycles, radiation, gravitational force, makeup of the planets surface, makeup of the planets core....there is a lot more than just being in the right distance from the nearest star.
Which only increases the odds that there is life elsewhere. That statement just means that it's likely radically different from what we see here.

As far as the explore vs. conquer debate goes - I can't imagine that there's much here worthwhile (from a resource standpoint) that a species capable of getting here in the first place would want.

Last edited by a moderator:
TheAristocrat said:
Jayrod said:

There are microbes that live in extreme conditions here on earth that scientists can't explain. Something might be able to survive in the liquid methane of Titan. And that's just in our solar system.

Users who are viewing this thread