What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Relationship Argument-Cats (1 Viewer)

one time

Footballguy
Cats suck-blah blah blah. Lets get that out of the way.

Wife gets pregnant with a planned due date of September 9th. We had bucked heads a few times on getting rid of our two cats before our son was born/brought home. I finally have to come to the realization that my wife is not going to back down and that I will have to give the cats up before September.

I had recently started asking around at my work and checking in with different pet stores for potential avenues, but had not looked extremely hard by any means.

Monday, June 30th, my wife and I go to her doctors appointment. At the end, she mentions some slight issues that started happening that morning. Doctor does a few tests...her water broke at essentially 30 weeks. He tells us go home, pack up, and head to the hospital in the next hour.

The hospital was able to stop contractions long enough for my sons lungs to develop a little more. She gives birth 7/5/14 with my son, Mason, at 3 pounds, 14 ounces. It's our first child. I'm feeling pretty awesome because he is relatively healthy.

Fast forward a few days. She is getting discharged and I bring home her mom and aunt from the airport. Caveat is they are from Korea, korean speaking only, different culture, etc. My son is going to be in the NICU for another 1.5 months give or take a week.

Out of the blue, a huge argument arises. MIL expected cats to be gone by the time my son was born. She wants them gone ASAP. MIL states that they gotta be outta the house in about 2-3 days (my first day off of work). My wife backs MIL up. I eventually guilt them into giving me another week, until 7/23, to try to place them. Otherwise I have to 1) take them to the Humane Society where they will be put down or 2)Have the vet put our 3 and 4 year old cats down.

No kill shelters are full; I've called about 50 places that have a recording stating they are full, or I have to leave a message, or the person picking up says they are full and that no one is adopting this time of the year.

Am I wrong in wondering how my MIL, and especially my wife, can be this cold and heartless to kill our cats that have been a part of our family almost as long as we've been together? Korean culture dictates, they state, that they need things done chop chop. My son wont even be home from the NICU until almost another month at the earliest, but they are not budging.

At this point, if I can't find a home for them by next Wednesday, I am really contemplating getting a hotel w/ the cats to buy time.

::end rant::

TLDR: My wife and her Korean family give me a week to get rid of cats before taking them to get killed after my baby is born prematurely.

Oops, Can a Mod move this to FFA? :blush:

At least its not a WDIS I guess.

Oh, and BMI of 27.9 and 28.3

Last edited by a moderator:
Wrong forum but you're not wrong on your stance of not putting down animals.

Possible solution?

Place ad in Craig's list and Humane Society web sites and go to local apartments that allow cats.

Offer someone $20 for two months of cat feed and a bonus of $50 if they find your pets a good home and they can keep the extra $50 if they decide to keep the felines after two months provided you can check-in and make sure they didn't leave them in a park and keep the loot.

Am I wrong in wondering how my MIL, and especially my wife, can be this cold and heartless to kill our cats that have been a part of our family almost as long as we've been together? Korean culture dictates, they state, that they need things done chop chop.
you seriously expect us to bite on a thread about koreans making a couple cats disappear 'chop chop'?

sry, dude -- try harder next time

Are the cats injury prone? Do they have any off the field issues? Is there another cat who could steal their spot on the depth chart?

keep the cats- they were there first.. I hate people who have kids and then just get rid of their pets- pets are responsibility and depend on humans- it isn't their fault that mother in law and wife are idiots..

dig in your heels- the cats should stay

I had to get rid of a cat and it was one of the saddest days of my life. I eventually found a no kill shelter, so that eased some of the pain. Not much.

Pets are like children to some. I never quite understand why some people can be so cold hearted about people's pets.

Am I wrong in wondering how my MIL, and especially my wife, can be this cold and heartless to kill our cats that have been a part of our family almost as long as we've been together? Korean culture dictates, they state, that they need things done chop chop.
you seriously expect us to bite on a thread about koreans making a couple cats disappear 'chop chop'?

Seriously. He's lucky they're not soup yet.

I had to get rid of a cat and it was one of the saddest days of my life. I eventually found a no kill shelter, so that eased some of the pain. Not much.

Pets are like children to some. I never quite understand why some people can be so cold hearted about people's pets.
:thumbup: pets are not disposable just because you had an f'n baby..

Not for nothing and I say this as politely as possible, but #### them! I mean, at the end of the day I guess you have to give the cats up, but having them put down??? That is pretty heartless...

Anyways, I would start posting fliers, ads on Craigslist, your local paper, etc. etc. to find a good home for them. Again, as politely as I am capable of saying it, but your family is pretty ####ed up.

Congrats on your son... My son's middle name is Mason, he is one and a half :thumbup:

Yeah man, I feel for you. I hate cats and all, but anybody who would just kill a pet for their convenience is just a horrible person. Looks like you married a horrible person from a horrible family. If you let them kill your pets you are just as bad. Ever try explaining to them who the man of the house is?

(seriously not trying to be a jerk. I truly think this is just beyond awful, and can't believe that people do this)

You're married to an Asian woman that tells you what to do? I thought obedience and subservience were their major selling points.

Yeah, if you were planning a family and cats and kids are mutually exclusive then getting the cats was a huge mistake

Ask your wife if she'll be able to explain to her child one day how she made you have two cats killed right before he came home.

you need to stand up to them or you will have resentment your wife (F the MIL) forever.. something this heartless will be hard to forgive..

Only a cat man would allow his wife to kill his pets.

A dog man would tell his wife to go #### herself.

Don't be such a #####...cat.

Take the cats to a buddies house for a few days. Once the mother in law leaves, go get them back.

In the meantime, offer to make dinner. After dinner is over, ask them how their cat tasted.

Only a cat man would allow his wife to kill his pets.

A dog man would tell his wife to go #### herself.

Don't be such a #####...cat.
This.

And Ive never heard of a man being so attached to cats...thought that was a chick thing.

Are you sure you aren't the one wanting to get rid of them and she wants them to stay?

Is the concern about Toxoplasmosis? Or just some kind of weird, irrational cultural hatred?

If it's the former- tell them you are going to be the only human going near the litter box or water/food dishes. You'll even wash your hands and stuff.

If it's the latter- give your wife a large knife while she's holding the baby and tell her she has to kill the cats herself, right there with the baby present. Videotape it and then divorce her.

:goodposting:

Divorce the wife. Keep the cats.

I've read a lot of crazy on this board, and this is right near the top.

To respond to a few things brought up:

We got the cats together. One we got from PetCo and the other as an abandoned stray by the dumpster. We were living together but I had never thought of bringing up what would happen when/if we had kids. I just assumed we would keep them.

She wanted to get rid of them from the moment she got pregnant really. At first she was worried about toxoplasmosis so I did the cat litter every time. We have argued about it probably about once a month since she got pregnant. I guess she has constantly complained about the cats to her mom and her mom holds it against me. My wife constantly claims she is sad. I think its due to her not having enough friends, but she blames the cats for her depression. If I don't find an owner for them, our marriage would be over I can tell.

They stress her out because they shed all over and she is worried about them scratching or suffocating the baby.

I talk about killing of the cats because in Phoenix, they kill over 100 cats and dogs per day at the humane society due to over crowding

Getting ready to head out to the hospital soon but will respond to other stuff later.

Edit: She really is sane about most things. I just really don't get whats going on here completely. Everyone from her mom, maid, my family, doctor are all against me on keeping the cats and I really think swayed her from maybe to absolutely not; biggest influence being her mom of course.

Congrats on the birth of your son and great news he's doing well considering his early delivery.

Try hard to compartmentalize the cat issue. Your wife is going to be stressed out with the next 1.5 months of NICU visits plus having her mother around. She's going to need you to be her rock during this time.

Now as for the cats...you need to have a private conversation with your wife about this. It seems like you gave in on the cat issue well before the mom arrived so keeping the cats may be a ship that has sailed. But putting up with your in-law's insistence to move the cats now? Screw that. You need to get your wife on board that you will get the cats out on your timeline, not the mom's. And your wife needs to back you on this. Your wife has to put you above her mom or you're looking at a lifetime of meddling by the in-laws with your wife going along with it.

"Korean culture dictates..." :lol:

I'm assuming putting the cats outside isn't an option?

I assume they're de-clawed. Why people get their cats de-clawed, I'll never know. Those bastards need to be outside killing birds and vermin. Not ####ting in a box in the house.

We got the cats together. One we got from PetCo and the other as an abandoned stray by the dumpster. We were living together but I had never thought of bringing up what would happen when/if we had kids. I just assumed we would keep them.

She wanted to get rid of them from the moment she got pregnant really. At first she was worried about toxoplasmosis so I did the cat litter every time. We have argued about it probably about once a month since she got pregnant. I guess she has constantly complained about the cats to her mom and her mom holds it against me. My wife constantly claims she is sad. I think its due to her not having enough friends, but she blames the cats for her depression. If I don't find an owner for them, our marriage would be over I can tell.

They stress her out because they shed all over and she is worried about them scratching or suffocating the baby.

I talk about killing of the cats because in Phoenix, they kill over 100 cats and dogs per day at the humane society due to over crowding

Getting ready to head out to the hospital soon but will respond to other stuff later.

Edit: She really is sane about most things. I just really don't get whats going on here completely. Everyone from her mom, maid, my family, doctor are all against me on keeping the cats and I really think swayed her from maybe to absolutely not; biggest influence being her mom of course.
You guys do well enough to have a maid and you can't keep a little cat hair down? Killing your pets is awful and you'll regret it for the rest of your life.

The bolded above is probably due to the fact that she is the type of person who would force her husband to murder her pets. Seriously, Seriously messed up. This thread blows my mind. I'm holding back a great deal on how I really feel.

Really the doctor? I didn't realize having cats around a baby was so dangerous.

The bolded above is probably due to the fact that she is the type of person who would force her husband to murder her pets. Seriously, Seriously messed up. This thread blows my mind. I'm holding back a great deal on how I really feel.

Users who are viewing this thread