What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Walgreens Wait (1 Viewer)

Mister CIA

Footballguy
Walgreens eyes loophole end run around taxes

Snippets from article:

Walgreens, the USA's largest drugstore chain, with more than 8,500 stores, soon will decide whether to take advantage of a loophole in U.S. tax law that would allow it to save billions of dollars by moving its headquarters to Europe, where it is on the verge of acquiring controlling interest in Alliance Boots, a Swiss-based company that operates drugstores in Britain.

From the shareholders' perspective, making the move is a no-brainer: It could save the company roughly $4 billion over the next five years.

The loophole is known as tax inversion, a controversial tactic that allows a company that does most of its business in the USA to cut its federal tax bill by merging or buying an overseas company in a lower-tax country and then nominally relocating its headquarters there.

"I don't know how this inversion doesn't happen," says Christopher Geier, of the Chicago-based investment banking firm Sikich. "They'll get some bad press, but I don't see a big enough reaction from consumers on this to change where this appears to be heading."
$20 says Christopher is wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its a no brainer. Bad press for a week, 2 tops vs answering your stockholders as to why you didn't save $4 billion when you had the chance.

It's on the President and the Senate to stop this, and not this instance, the trend.

Seriously, work to change the tax code, or more and more companies will do this. The president and Senate have the power to do so.

It will soon become competitive disadvantage for US-based businesses not to pursue tax inversion or HQ relocation abroad.

It's on the President and the Senate to stop this, and not this instance, the trend.

Seriously, work to change the tax code, or more and more companies will do this. The president and Senate have the power to do so.

It will soon become competitive disadvantage for US-based businesses not to pursue tax inversion or HQ relocation abroad.
I couldn't agree more. I consider stuff like this to be treason. Its systematic abuse and destruction of this country until nothing but an empty husk remains.

Want to do business here? Well then you contribute your fair share instead of just feasting on the economy like locusts.

Stock price will go up when it happens. Investors will be happy.

Didn't Em stop his contribution into Walgreens so he could buy more HEMP? Not one move of his has panned out if he did the previous statement.

Good time to buy?

Wisconsin is open, Walgreens. Come on in.

I couldn't agree more. I consider stuff like this to be treason. Its systematic abuse and destruction of this country until nothing but an empty husk remains.

Want to do business here? Well then you contribute your fair share instead of just feasting on the economy like locusts.
??

welcome to globalization? So do you feel the same way about restricting US companies selling their goods in other countries? Or does every biz need to have a headquarters only in the country they are selling product in?

And don't get me wrong...this really sucks for the US worker. I agree, more needs to be done to not only keep business' here, but also make it attractive for overseas companies and new businesses to grow in this country. But the Fed restricting their ability to serve the public through prescriptions is NOT the answer, it will only give the gov't power to pick and choose who they allow or deny free enterprise rights to.

But overall, the average american wouldn't even know and even with a little bad press, they will continue to do fine, their shareholders will be happy and you'll be able to get batteries at 3am, you know b/c thats what we need.

I couldn't agree more. I consider stuff like this to be treason. Its systematic abuse and destruction of this country until nothing but an empty husk remains.Want to do business here? Well then you contribute your fair share instead of just feasting on the economy like locusts.
??welcome to globalization? So do you feel the same way about restricting US companies selling their goods in other countries? Or does every biz need to have a headquarters only in the country they are selling product in?

And don't get me wrong...this really sucks for the US worker. I agree, more needs to be done to not only keep business' here, but also make it attractive for overseas companies and new businesses to grow in this country. But the Fed restricting their ability to serve the public through prescriptions is NOT the answer, it will only give the gov't power to pick and choose who they allow or deny free enterprise rights to.

But overall, the average american wouldn't even know and even with a little bad press, they will continue to do fine, their shareholders will be happy and you'll be able to get batteries at 3am, you know b/c thats what we need.
Yes. I believe in ethical business practices across the globe and protecting workers here and abroad from being screwed and exploited.

I am thinking the House might also has to pass a bill. But perhaps the Democrats found a loophole.

Just so we're clear, I don't think you are with my response, and I definitely don't agree with you that this is "treason." I stopped right there.

I am thinking the House might also has to pass a bill. But perhaps the Democrats found a loophole.
Well, sharpen the pencils and get to work. That's what we've hired and pay our politicians to do.

If they don't overhaul the IRS tax code, well, this is just a pebble hitting a windshield right now. It will spider out slowly and surely with more inaction.

Fair Tax takes care of this. Companies will start using the US as a tax haven.
Too simple of a solution for tax payers to listen.. It just takes one commercial/talking point to say that FairTax adds 23% tax to the current prices for people to think that is true :kicksrock:

These corporate inversions have been all over the WSJ for the last several months. It's like buying up a foreign subsidiary to establish base of operations in a tax-friendly country is now all the rage. Technically, the directors and officers have a duty to maximize shareholder value and staying based in the U.S. and subject to some of the highest corporate taxes in the world, would seem to be a breach of fiduciary duty when they could pull off one of these inversions and only have U.S. tax on U.S.-source income. 0bama and Congress are all beating the drum, now, saying how all this has to stop and so forth, but they're going to have one helluva uphill battle trying to do that AND maintain the high corporate taxes, because it is the high U.S. taxes that are driving these inversions.

The shark play is to wait for the stock to split. ;)
Unless you've got the money now, then go ahead and buy some. It's not like our business model is going to suddenly stop working. In fact, we only grow stronger as a company the poorer, older, and more unhealthy people get! Do you know how many Mexicans they're bringing over the border? They love Walgreens!

All those suckers who get cheap healthcare, a big percentage comes through Walgreens.

Sometime next year we're merging with the largest pharmaceutical chain in all of Europe. We'll have more assets and be generating more profits. Things are looking up for your main man Em. I expect the stock to continue to rocket up towards the end of this year as buzz about all of this continues to grow.

Unless you've got the money now, then go ahead and buy some. It's not like our business model is going to suddenly stop working. In fact, we only grow stronger as a company the poorer, older, and more unhealthy people get! Do you know how many Mexicans they're bringing over the border? They love Walgreens!

All those suckers who get cheap healthcare, a big percentage comes through Walgreens.

Sometime next year we're merging with the largest pharmaceutical chain in all of Europe. We'll have more assets and be generating more profits. Things are looking up for your main man Em. I expect the stock to continue to rocket up towards the end of this year as buzz about all of this continues to grow.
Why do you say "we"?

You are a shift manager. You have nothing to do with corporate.

Why do you say "we"?

You are a shift manager. You have nothing to do with corporate.
I think he's in charge of the mexicans.

If I'm running Walgreen's, I replace pharmacists with vending machines (very large vending machines in the form of the old Foto-Mat), hire a monkey with a gun to protect the place, and sell off the retail business to Dollar*. Alternatively I would encourage doctor offices to coalesce into mega-offices and install Rx vending machines on-premise so that patients leave the office with scripts in hand. Profits roar!

The downside is I would have to find another place to browse books written by morons.

Why do you say "we"?You are a shift manager. You have nothing to do with corporate.
Don't start with me Gas Money. You don't want none of this.

For the record, I am a share holder and am keeping becoming a District Manager as a backup plan so I feel entitled to use the word 'we'.

Many people's idea to fix the tax code is to increase taxes on corporations.
I think its time. The rulea of the time made sense because they couldnt envision corporations being the vast global monsters they are (or maybe they did). Eithrr way, the tax law should be looked at every 10 years or so anyway to fix any issues. When was the last time it was fully audited?

Why do you say "we"?You are a shift manager. You have nothing to do with corporate.
I think he's in charge of the mexicans.
Ive never seen illegals working at a walgreens. Do they keep them in the back?

Don't start with me Gas Money. You don't want none of this.For the record, I am a share holder and am keeping becoming a District Manager as a backup plan so I feel entitled to use the word 'we'.
Im looking out for you. Walgreens doesnt give a rats butt about you. You are not going to be a district manager any time in the near future. You are not a shareholder, shareholders go to shareholder meetings. You own a few stocks.

You shouldnt be saying "we" if you work in one of the stores.

I really don't understand the people that want to "close the loophole" thinking that fixes it. Guess what? People will find another loophole. Why don't we make it so companies don't want/need to find these solutions? Maybe if we had a more friendly tax structure, we'd have foreign companies wanting to come here rather than our companies looking to leave. We could get less from each company but in the end garner more raw dollars from more companies here.

Also, for many workers of the companies, this won't have a major impact. Sure the "corporate office" will be located somewhere in Europe, but much of the US infrastructure will stay intact.

I know I've prolly asked this before quinn, but who is your avatar? Good gravy.

This is what happens when you tax corporate income. You encourage companies to devote a bunch of resources to gaming an ever-more-complicated system.

Just abolish the corporate income tax and replace it with some combination of sales and income taxes instead. There are other ways to capture corporate profits without providing these kind of distorting incentives to firms.

You people are sweet. Why would any politician bite the hands that feed by closing these loopholes?
:goodposting:

We want corporate tax reform - are mad as heck about it - and will do absolutely nothing but grandstand to the American public while US-based companies don't walk, but run to setup "legally" ex-US in the interim.

I know I've prolly asked this before quinn, but who is your avatar? Good gravy.
http://www.laurendgardner.com/

:wub:

Since apparently some of you don't understand this issue, let's make it clear. If Walgreen's does this, it will pay the same tax on their US profits as before. However, on the profits they generate by sales overseas, they will pay a much lower tax rate. If the US wants to have a higher tax rate on profits generated overseas, then it must understand that some corporations will choose to move legally so as to enjoy a lower tax rate.

When an individual retires in New Jersey and moves to Florida, it isn't only because of the weather. The 0% income tax in Florida also plays a part.

Since apparently some of you don't understand this issue, let's make it clear. If Walgreen's does this, it will pay the same tax on their US profits as before. However, on the profits they generate by sales overseas, they will pay a much lower tax rate.
"Yeah, all of our US operations really aren't profitable, yet our Antigua facility saw its best year ever! We'll go ahead and keep doing business in the US though."

Since apparently some of you don't understand this issue, let's make it clear. If Walgreen's does this, it will pay the same tax on their US profits as before. However, on the profits they generate by sales overseas, they will pay a much lower tax rate.
"Yeah, all of our US operations really aren't profitable, yet our Antigua facility saw its best year ever! We'll go ahead and keep doing business in the US though."
I'd bet the sunscreen sales per capita would be greater in Antigua :shrug:

For the record, I am a share holder and am keeping becoming a District Manager as a backup plan so I feel entitled to use the word 'we'.
Bringin' the heater!

glvsav37 said:
MC Gas Money said:
mquinnjr said:

??

welcome to globalization? So do you feel the same way about restricting US companies selling their goods in other countries? Or does every biz need to have a headquarters only in the country they are selling product in?

Time for a VAT tax. Then when you do an inversion you are now a foreign company and everything you do is taxed accordingly. Corporations in this country already pay less then those in other G8 nations. This is just outright greed. I agree with Mark Cuban. Divest from these folks.

George Jefferson Airplane said:
Eminence said:
MC Gas Money said:
Eminence said:
Eminence said:

Bringin' the heater!
The provinces are far from Rome there Maximus Decimus Meridius.

NC Commish, when you use a phrase like "outright greed", you're implying that Walgreens is doing something wrong or underhanded here. They're not. They're simply taking advantage of existing law to increase profits, which is what they're supposed to do and what their stockholders demand of them.

Your beef should be with the existing laws, and not with the corporations that use them wisely.

Users who are viewing this thread