What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Microsoft Announces "Surface" Tablet (1 Viewer)

[icon]

Insoxicated
Microsoft trying to out-Apple Cupertino?

http://mashable.com/2012/06/18/microsoft-event-op-ed/

When Microsoft says you really don’t want to miss something, does that make it a can’t-miss event? Or is the company capable of — whisper it low — crying wolf?

We’ll find out Monday afternoon in Los Angeles, where the software giant has invited Mashable and a handful of other tech press to an event so mysterious it doesn’t have a location at time of writing, let alone a subject.

Naturally, the speculation has been rampant, but it has also been relatively focused (Microsoft, a sprawling company not known for secrecy, may have had a hard time keeping the wraps on anything this big).

On Thursday we heard the company was preparing an “iPad killer” tablet; by the weekend, the rumor mill had turned that gadget into a glorified e-reader, the first fruit of its two month-old partnership with Barnes & Noble.

That had us veteran tech journalists — who had changed schedules, booked flights and commandeered hotel suites at the last minute, all on Microsoft’s say-so — humming that old Peggy Lee tune, “Is That All There Is?”

Don’t get me wrong. I love a good e-reader as much as the next gadget-toting bookworm. And Barnes & Noble’s latest Nook with glowlight — the first e-reader to combine the eminently readable e-ink and backlighting in a single device (take that, Kindle!) — certainly shows promise for its Nook-based Microsoft deal.

Presumably, the mystery tablet would have something more than books. Some kind of Hulu partnership, perhaps, or a similar buy-in from Big Entertainment (which would explain the location). Connectivity with the Xbox 360, hopefully. Maybe it’ll even run on something other than Windows 8, just to make things (kind of) interesting.

But for this kind of hoopla, to paraphrase that great tech guru Dr. Evil, this tablet needs to be strapped to a shark that shoots #######’ lasers.

There are only two Microsoft technologies I can think of that might rise to that metaphorical level: the Kinect camera, which would be really cool if squeezed down to tablet-camera size, and some sort of widespread implementation of Smart Glass — where you can flick photos, songs and other documents or game items around the room, from your tablet to your Xbox, perhaps even to the fabled smart tabletop, Microsoft Surface.

Were Redmond to start selling that kind of furniture, it would be sharks-with-lasers huge.

Of course, it’s always possible that it is just an e-reader after all — and that well-meaning Microsoft executives have been looking at ways to take a page from Apple’s book. You might watch a Steve Jobs or Tim Cook keynote and conclude that getting that level of buzz involves creating that level of mystique, and you might then market a humdrum launch with Apple levels of silence and secrecy.

You might conclude that, and you’d be wrong. Apple launches are as big a deal as they are because of the products themselves. As much as the company goes out of its way to amp up expectation, it understands that you have to have something insanely cool under those wraps to justify the hype.

If you wrap Apple-level mystery around a non-Apple level product, all anyone will talk about after the event is the ridiculousness of it all. So for Microsoft’s sake, let’s hope no wolves are being cried about. Let’s hope for sharks with lasers instead.

Wolves or laser-bearing sharks? The only way you’ll know for certain is by following today’s live blog of the Microsoft announcement. Check back with Mashable around noon ET for more details
:popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:
Whatever it is I hope its huge or MS will just get tar & feathered. I really hope its something ultra cool to push Apple. Its good for us :nerd: s

MS Tablet
:goodposting:To quote a show I heard yesterday "Microsoft is expected to release a tablet with similar functions as the iPad except is will be much smaller, something Apple fans have been asking for since the release of the iPad. Of course Apple does what it wants and doesn't listen to anyone."Great business plan Apple. :thumbup:

To quote a show I heard yesterday "Microsoft is expected to release a tablet with similar functions as the iPad except is will be much smaller,
Done.

What next?
No, it is going to be in between the two which I totally get. Reading on a phone size device is the suxor and people look like idiots holding their giant iPads up to take pictures. Not to mention it looks like a pain to haul around.

To quote a show I heard yesterday "Microsoft is expected to release a tablet with similar functions as the iPad except is will be much smaller,
Done.

What next?
No, it is going to be in between the two which I totally get. Reading on a phone size device is the suxor and people look like idiots holding their giant iPads up to take pictures. Not to mention it looks like a pain to haul around.
So 3.5" is WAY too small... and 9" is Giant? Got it.

Done.

What next?
I agree that the camera on the ipad is ridiculous. The front-facing camera is fine for Facetime, but the I have only taken one ipad picture and I did it just to see how it worked. I originally liked the kindle-sized screens until I bought an Ipad. Now I wouldn't go back. If I am using this for movies, netflix, reading and web surfing, why would I possibly want the smaller size?

Done.

What next?
:rolleyes:

Done.

What next?
If they could just shave off about 1.5" and a couple ounces, they might really have something on their hands.Sadly, some of us are cursed with similar issues in life.

Done.

What next?
I love seeing people take pictures of their kids with an ipad. I've managed to capture a few in the wild doing this on camera as well. Always makes for high comedy. Someone needs to start a website ipadphotographers.com or something a-la people of walmart.

Done.

What next?
That's what she said.

Done.

What next?
I love seeing people take pictures of their kids with an ipad. I've managed to capture a few in the wild doing this on camera as well. Always makes for high comedy. Someone needs to start a website ipadphotographers.com or something a-la people of walmart.
Spike Lee gettin is iSnap on

:lmao:

Done.

What next?
:goodposting: Hell, I own stock in Apple, Icon.

Done.

What next?
at my Ds 8th grade graduation & parents dinner 3 people were uusing ipads. Never even considered bring our ipad , wouldn'teven consider our fire if it had a camera

Done.

What next?

:lmao: Seriously, that just looks ridiculous.

Just went to see my daughter's cheerleading squad perform at a cheerleading camp. There were dozens of people taking pictures with iPads and I saw at least 3 people holding their iPads overhead so they could videotape the program. I hate people.

Done.

What next?

:lmao: Seriously, that just looks ridiculous.
They need an autograph app to go with the picture.

I just got a Nook Simple Touch. Something that size, running windows 8 mobile would kinda rock. Bigger than an iPod, smaller than an iPad.

Done.

What next?
:goodposting: Hell, I own stock in Apple, Icon.
Me too.. and I agree the iPad is terrible for photgraphy. I use my iPhone for that. :thumbup:

You could also just, y'know, experience the event and have memories of it rather than making the event about taking pictures. People ####### suck.

Users who are viewing this thread