What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Texting vs. Talking - which do you prefer? (1 Viewer)

What is the ratio of communication style?

• 100% text - Nobody talks anymore

Votes: 20 9.4%
  • 75% text, 25% talk - I only talk when I need to

Votes: 121 56.8%
  • 50% text, 50% talk - I'm flexible either way

Votes: 37 17.4%
  • 25% text, 75% talk - I'd rather just talk - typing is too time consuming

Votes: 40 18.8%
  • 100% talk - I just figured out how to program my VCR

Votes: 13 6.1%

• Total voters

lakerstan

Footballguy
My wife absolutely HATES talking on the phone, but I often find myself spending more time correcting auto-correct than if I were to just call her up. What is the consensus here? I always considered myself someone who stays reasonably up to date with technology, but at some point it seems like time savings has to be a consideration. Or maybe I am just getting old.

I like texting. You can communicate when you have time and don't have to catch the person at a perfect time. Talking is better though if you really need to discuss something in detail

If it's just a simple thing: text.

For something that needs to be discussed: talk

small talk: talk

I went with 25% text but it is more like 5%........I absolutely hate texting but my kids do it so sometimes I have to reply.....

My wife absolutely HATES talking on the phone, but I often find myself spending more time correcting auto-correct than if I were to just call her up. What is the consensus here? I always considered myself someone who stays reasonably up to date with technology, but at some point it seems like time savings has to be a consideration. Or maybe I am just getting old.
Don't take offense but maybe you need a new wife...If she doesn't have time or desire to actually talk with her husband what is the use of having her around.

I don't know ..I've watched my wife text our friends to find out what time we are suppose to be over for dinner and what to bring....and after about 15 minutes and six or seven back and forth text she finally has the answer. Why not call and ask the same question in about 15 seconds. " Hey what time do you want us over for dinner and what should we bring...6:30.. macaroni and cheese"...Hang up.

Loathe the phone. The only person I take calls from is my wife, or the school during the day (because it's probably an emergency).

If you aren't one of those, it's going right to voicemail. I don't even own a cellphone. I use a texting app on my ipod.

I don't know ..I've watched my wife text our friends to find out what time we are suppose to be over for dinner and what to bring....and after about 15 minutes and six or seven back and forth text she finally has the answer. Why not call and ask the same question in about 15 seconds. " Hey what time do you want us over for dinner and what should we bring...6:30.. macaroni and cheese"...Hang up.
And that should have been the texting conversation. You usually waste more time with useless babble when you call someone.

75% texting.

My wife and I rarely talk on the phone. Any questions are usually yes/no or short answers so no need to talk. Very similar for friends or work people but if it's any more than that, I'll call. I hate long text conversations.

Hate talking on the phone. I've got through 6 month relationships where I never once talked to the girl on the phone. If you need to talk, let's grab a drink!

Texting sucks really for most things. If I have something to say I prefer to say it. I did choose the 75% talk option even though that is low but I do sometimes text. I work with people who text constantly so I sometimes find myself stuck having to do so.

Get off my lawn.

Single women, even older ones, are all about the texting. It's hard for my witty personality and charm to come through via text. :shrug:

Something important I like to talk. If I am turning down an invitation to something I don`t want to do I like to text. That way you don`t get caught up in your lie of why you can`t make. Just shoot off a "Sorry...can`t make it have a great time"

And that should have been the texting conversation. You usually waste more time with useless babble when you call someone.
Its been my observation...you texters don't know if or when a text conversation is over. That is why you all are always head down staring at your phone and working your little thumbs over the keypad.

Single women, even older ones, are all about the texting. It's hard for my witty personality and charm to come through via text. :shrug:
Then you're doing it wrong. Sometimes when I have a snappy retort, I actually think of something even better while mid text. You can't do that when talking.

Its been my observation...you texters don't know if or when a text conversation is over. That is why you all are always head down staring at your phone and working your little thumbs over the keypad.
:)

I always prefer to talk, but sometimes texting can be convenient.

Once I've texted someone back and forth a couple of times, I will call if there is more to discuss. I hate the constant back and forth texting. If there is that much to discuss it is much faster to just have a conversation.

I like talking in person, but loathe it on the phone. Hate it. Not sure I've even approached 50 minutes in a month.

Don't take offense but maybe you need a new wife...If she doesn't have time or desire to actually talk with her husband what is the use of having her around.
What is the use of having her around? Hmm....I can think of a few reasons.

I usually text more unless it's just easier to get a point across through a phone call.

The one thing I hate are voicemails. Unless you have something super important to tell me, you don't need to leave me a message. I saw you called and I'll call you back.

I usually text more unless it's just easier to get a point across through a phone call.

The one thing I hate are voicemails. Unless you have something super important to tell me, you don't need to leave me a message. I saw you called and I'll call you back.
if someone calls me while driving they can leave a voice mail. That's it though.

Mostly text, I have certain family/friends who are the only people I talk to on the phone.

Voicemails are absolutely terrible.

Mostly text, I have certain family/friends who are the only people I talk to on the phone.

What if the voicemail simply says "hey timmay party tonight at my house six o'clock"

How is that any different than a text....You get a text you have to read it, you get a voicemail you have to listen to it.......

Leaving a voicemail is the 21st century's version of writing a check at the grocery store. I saw you called...I'll call you back. No need to leave a message. We have caller ID.

As far as the original question - I hate talking on the phone too. Too much wasted time. I have to stop what I'm doing. Texting conversations are more convenient. If you can't express what you want in a few sentences, you probably are just making small talk. I'm too busy for small talk. I had a friend who called me almost every day on his drive home "just to see what's up." I finally had to set him straight and let him know that I don't want to be tied up as his entertainment on his drive home every day. If he had something real to talk about, fine, but I'm not there to just keep you company while you drive home.

In a perfect world, I could call someone, ask them my question, get my answer and then hang up. But that doesn't happen. People want to make small talk. "How's your day going?" "So, what's new with you?"

Then they want to start telling me about their day and their life. I don't care. Texting takes care of these problems.

I pretty much only talk on the phone to make doctor appointments or to call my GF my dinner order when she's in the drive thru line.

I've found it interesting that a lot of the people that are initially hesitant about it are really the one's it's designed for.

Mainly, I mean older men. My dad and FIL are both to the point, matter of fact types that don't have the patience for small talk, but they are resistant to texting even though they'd clearly love it if they tried.

Though, I also suspect they are becoming softies in their old age, and really enjoy small talk more than they let on.

I hate the typing, but the voice recognition thing is so fantastic. It's pushed me to about 80% text.

Does anybody else have the problem with Android phones that it wants to autocorrect every damn word that starts with "A" to "Android" including, but not limited to "A" "and" "as", etc?

Jayrod said:
I always prefer to talk, but sometimes texting can be convenient.

Once I've texted someone back and forth a couple of times, I will call if there is more to discuss. I hate the constant back and forth texting. If there is that much to discuss it is much faster to just have a conversation.
Text me 5 times in 10 minutes and I will call you to put and end to the nonsense. Texts are convenient but they are not conversations and those who try to make them conversations are making them the opposite convenient.

Plorfu said:
I like talking in person, but loathe it on the phone. Hate it. Not sure I've even approached 50 minutes in a month.
An error occurredYou have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

We went to soft phones at our office - I don't even bother to plug mine in any more. I use IM and email for 95%+ of my communication and for the other 5% I'll get up and walk over to someone's desk.

What if the voicemail simply says "hey timmay party tonight at my house six o'clock"

How is that any different than a text....You get a text you have to read it, you get a voicemail you have to listen to it.......
I can process a text in about 1/4 second.

VM? Hi BobbyLayne, this is **** Butkus, how you been pard? Just wanted to call and let you know that we're having a party at our house tonight. Come by anytime after 6 p.m. If you need directions or a want to know what to bring, gimme a shout at 212.555.1234. Alright, man, take care, see ya soon.

Voice recognition text is awesome, as is VM to email transcription. Again, I can process reading a VM exponentially faster than logging into my VM box and playing someone slowly leaving a message.

The difference is that I have dial up voicemail, wait for prompt, then enter the passcode, wait for some ##### to tell me how many messages I have, then say "first message.....". If I'm lucky, the message starts with the point so I can delete fast, but that's rare. If it was somebody that would just get to the point, they'd have texted.

We have created an entire generation of kids/adults who CANNOT talk on the phone. They walk around all day with a phone in their pocket/hands, yet appear to be deathly afraid to use it as one. My high school son will send multiple texts over the course of an hour in an often vain attempt to make arrangements with a pal/pals to do something... rather than call.

And get off my lawn! :rant:

We have created an entire generation of kids/adults who CANNOT talk on the phone. They walk around all day with a phone in their pocket/hands, yet appear to be deathly afraid to use it as one. My high school son will send multiple texts over the course of an hour in an often vain attempt to make arrangements with a pal/pals to do something... rather than call.

They think they are talking......My son will be head down typing away and I say..... what are you doing? He replies talking with a girl.. Which I reply no you aren't you are typing words, give her a call...nope. My daughter recently was texting with a guy that she found out liked her at school. They text back and forth for two weeks, got into some kind of dispute and it ended....I find out a few days later she literally never met or was introduced face to face. This is how our society has chosen to move forward to the next generation...pathetic..

The difference is that I have dial up voicemail, wait for prompt, then enter the passcode, wait for some ##### to tell me how many messages I have, then say "first message.....". If I'm lucky, the message starts with the point so I can delete fast, but that's rare. If it was somebody that would just get to the point, they'd have texted.
:hifive:

They think they are talking......My son will be head down typing away and I say..... what are you doing? He replies talking with a girl.. Which I reply no you aren't you are typing words, give her a call...nope. My daughter recently was texting with a guy that she found out liked her at school. They text back and forth for two weeks, got into some kind of dispute and it ended....I find out a few days later she literally never met or was introduced face to face. This is how our society has chosen to move forward to the next generation...pathetic..
Not disagreeing with your observation, nor with your sentiment (I agree 100% that it's turning kids into anti-social non-speaking text zombies)...but which generation got laid more on average between the age of 16 and 21? Yours or the current one? I'd bet the current one...so there must be something to it. It seems to me that this wave of "connectedness" has made it really easy for kids to hook up and do what kids want to do. I sure wish we had this kind of stuff when I was a kid so I wouldn't be sitting around with my buddies trying to figure out where the parties were that weekend...instead we'd just look on Facebook.

Not disagreeing with your observation, nor with your sentiment (I agree 100% that it's turning kids into anti-social non-speaking text zombies)...but which generation got laid more on average between the age of 16 and 21? Yours or the current one? I'd bet the current one...so there must be something to it. It seems to me that this wave of "connectedness" has made it really easy for kids to hook up and do what kids want to do. I sure wish we had this kind of stuff when I was a kid so I wouldn't be sitting around with my buddies trying to figure out where the parties were that weekend...instead we'd just look on Facebook.
I don't know the answer to that......I did my fair share of damage, but if they are getting laid more does it have to do with social media or is todays generation just more promiscuous. And is that a good or bad byproduct.

Users who are viewing this thread