What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My Ceiling is Falling/Collapsing...Help? (1 Viewer)

Steve Tasker

Footballguy
My girlfriend and I live on the bottom floor of a fairly large house built in 1871. There are 2 apartments upstairs...my brother lives in one, and an unrelated woman lives in the other.

Our entire apartment has plaster ceilings. There are little cracks here and there but nothing ever particularly problematic. We have lived here since March 2013 without a problem.

On Wednesday, sometime while we were both at work, a large portion of the ceiling in our bedroom fell. Some of the crown molding came down, and a large portion of the plaster ceiling (maybe 1/4 - 1/5 of the total bedroom ceiling. The crown molding may have fallen on my girlfriend's head and might have killed her, had it happened during the middle of the night. The landlord came on Thursday, took the crown molding and cleaned it up, but informed me that she wasn't able to get anyone to come out and look at the ceiling for another week. Our ceiling now has exposed wooden planks. No apparent water damage.

Tonight, about a half hour ago, we heard a very large apartment-shaking crash, which made our ceiling creak significantly and spray dust everywhere. Called my brother....a large portion of his ceiling collapsed, right above our bedroom (his kitchen). It was a really nice piece of crown molding that used to hold a chandelier, but there's no chandelier there.....just came right down, a giant heavy piece.

1) Is it safe to be living here?

2) Should I be looking for any warning signs in particular?

3) :oldunsure:

tl;dr: my apartment is falling apart.

Yeah, if it's not done falling, you shouldn't stay there.

But if the falling is finished, it's ok.

I would say trust your instincts, and I'd guess they are telling you better safe than sorry and that until you find out what's going on, it's a risk to be there.

My girlfriend and I live on the bottom floor of a fairly large house built in 1871. There are 2 apartments upstairs...my brother lives in one, and an unrelated woman lives in the other.

Our entire apartment has plaster ceilings. There are little cracks here and there but nothing ever particularly problematic. We have lived here since March 2013 without a problem.

On Wednesday, sometime while we were both at work, a large portion of the ceiling in our bedroom fell. Some of the crown molding came down, and a large portion of the plaster ceiling (maybe 1/4 - 1/5 of the total bedroom ceiling. The crown molding may have fallen on my girlfriend's head and might have killed her, had it happened during the middle of the night. The landlord came on Thursday, took the crown molding and cleaned it up, but informed me that she wasn't able to get anyone to come out and look at the ceiling for another week. Our ceiling now has exposed wooden planks. No apparent water damage.

Tonight, about a half hour ago, we heard a very large apartment-shaking crash, which made our ceiling creak significantly and spray dust everywhere. Called my brother....a large portion of his ceiling collapsed, right above our bedroom (his kitchen). It was a really nice piece of crown molding that used to hold a chandelier, but there's no chandelier there.....just came right down, a giant heavy piece.

I would head to a hotel for a bit Tasker. It sounds unstable and the plaster/crown will mess you up if it hits you from a fall. As you know I have worked drywall and there is a reason we are required to wear hard hats with everything except the very end of finish work. I have had maybe a 6" diameter of plaster smack me in the head while wearing a hard hat and it surprised the #### out of me but also stung a little, without the hat it would not have been fun. Also it's time to have a longer talk with the landlord and make it known he has to have people out there ASAP and not some BS one week thing(this means he probably has "his" guys he calls for everything and they can't get there for a week). If he deems it no big deal and it will have to be a week, take it up the food chain since landlords have to provide a safe home, which this is not. Make sure to document and take pictures. Best of luck GB.

If any more falls, have someone pick it up and drop it on your head to hurt you enough to make a mark, and sue.

Only reason I say this is cause the landlord is a total idiot and a #### for not immediately doing SOMETHING. At the very least he could tell you rent is free this month (maybe next also) and go to a hotel for a week while he has someone smarter than him come check things out.

Start taking pictures and video, and somehow record your conversations with this guy.

If I had to guess, Lionel Richie is the unrelated woman and has been doing too much dancing on the ceiling.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are going to stay there until its looked at take a broom handle or something and poke around at any spots that look sketchy and see if they come down. Better to control any future falls then let it fall on its on time frame.

Yeah, I'd be calling the landlord back. If response isn't good I'd then be calling the city.

Landlord should be paying for your stay elsewhere until your apartment is safe to live in.
Pretty sure a landlord does not have to pay for your stay elsewhere nor should they.

They certainly can't charge you rent until the place is fixed, and you could easily have your lease terminated if you want.

However, of course, his response was just idiotic.

Pretty sure a landlord does not have to pay for your stay elsewhere nor should they.
So the landlord has his tenants in an unsafe and unliveable condition but isn't responsible? I'd be interested to hear your reasoning on this.
He said the landlord isn't responsible for paying for new accommodations, and he's right.

Of course he's responsible for what he's renting out. If he leaves the place unsafe, the lease is automatically terminated.

I suppose you could complain to the local building inspector to see if he can light a fire under the landlord's butt.

Whether or not the landlord has to pay for a hotel is entirely state-dependant and may require you getting a building inspector to issue a "vacate" order.

I've never lived in a home with plaster. How does/why does it just collapse like that without water damage?

Whether or not the landlord has to pay for a hotel is entirely state-dependant and may require you getting a building inspector to issue a "vacate" order.
Yep. In some locales, that place could be condemned. That landlord is insane for leaving herself open to being liable. I would have all of my tenants out immediately - if not from the goodness in my heart, then at least from a potential lawsuit.

Tasker, I'd get the hell out of there until she gets things fixed. Ain't worth the risk to you guys' health.

So the landlord has his tenants in an unsafe and unliveable condition but isn't responsible? I'd be interested to hear your reasoning on this.
Responsible for making repairs & rent abatement, sure. For paying for a hotel, no, at least not in CA. Some do so anyway, though. Insurance, either the LL's or the renter's, may also cover it.

Not sure what is collapsing here. Is it the actual structure (joists, etc) or is it the plaster/crown molding? Did the parts that collapse have cracks previously?

Either way, you shouldn't continue to live there as it is not safe for multiple reasons (collapsing on you/wife and causing injuries and potential of asbestos.

Last edited by a moderator:
Only reason I say this is cause the landlord is a total idiot and a #### for not immediately doing SOMETHING. At the very least he could tell you rent is free this month (maybe next also) and go to a hotel for a week while he has someone smarter than him come check things out.

Start taking pictures and video, and somehow record your conversations with this guy.
We did take some pictures of the actual incidents.

I have considered requesting a free month's rent, but I am not there yet. We are otherwise on very good terms with our landlords and I don't want to cause tension, though obviously I am a little skittish.

FYI- A lot of old plaster cotains asbestos.
I wondered about this. Is there any way for me to tell by looking at it?
If there's any doubt at all, don't screw with it. It takes very little exposure to create a ticking time bomb within your body. Nothing to fool around with. Get it tested, get the landlord to test it... get the town to test it, whatever... if you have any doubt. Asbestos isn't just a little bit hazardous.

Not sure what is collapsing here. Is it the actual structure (joists, etc) or is it the plaster/crown molding? Did the parts that collapse have cracks previously?

Either way, you shouldn't continue to live there as it is not safe for multiple reasons (collapsing on you/wife and causing injuries and potential of asbestos.
The plaster/molding is what is collapsing, not the actual structure as far as I can tell.

Here is a Google image of what our ceiling currently looks like (obviously this is not our picture, just something that looks similar).

There have always been small cracks in the plaster since we've moved in, in various spots throughout the apartment.

The plaster/molding is what is collapsing, not the actual structure as far as I can tell.

Here is a Google image of what our ceiling currently looks like (obviously this is not our picture, just something that looks similar).

There have always been small cracks in the plaster since we've moved in, in various spots throughout the apartment.
You're living in an old house. Here in New England, we have lots of old houses... what you are experiencing isn't entirely uncommon as the house may shift over a long period of time. Landlord should expect high maintenance costs with an old house like this. So should you. From the pic you gave us, it doesn't look like the falling pieces are really life-threatening. Work with the landlord and get him to do repairs as expediently as practicable. But if you have an asbestos problem, terminating the lease and moving should be a slam-dunk in any tenant-landord dispute, I would think.

The landlord came over first thing this morning to take a look at my brother's apartment. This second collapse seems to have put a bigger scare into her. She has scheduled a contractor to come over and look at the apartments ASAP, but I have not heard any specifics about when that will be. She's now talking about potentially replacing all of the ceilings. I have no idea how old they are.

Not sure if this matters, structurally, but we are physically very close to the neighbors' house. They had some construction done earlier this week...some porch work, hammering, jackhammering, and some roof work. Landlord seems to think that the shaking and jostling may have caused our weak ceilings to come down. Seems a little bit of a stretch to me, but I'm getting this second-hand from my brother so who knows what she said.

If they need to replace the entire celing and there's people in-and-out of our apartment all day for weeks, I'll certainly be asking for rent abatement or something like that.

As far as I know it needs to be tested. Where it broke off and created some dust would be a concern because thats when asbestos is bad, but I wouldn't be overly concerned since you need to be around it alot. Most people are and have no idea because it hasn't been disturbed or they just don't know what to look for.

FWIW, the pic you posted looks exactly like the fire station I work at (over 100 yrs old) and it fell here too. We didn't even have them check.

http://www2.epa.gov/asbestos

You're living in an old house. Here in New England, we have lots of old houses... what you are experiencing isn't entirely uncommon as the house may shift over a long period of time. Landlord should expect high maintenance costs with an old house like this. So should you. From the pic you gave us, it doesn't look like the falling pieces are really life-threatening. Work with the landlord and get him to do repairs as expediently as practicable. But if you have an asbestos problem, terminating the lease and moving should be a slam-dunk in any tenant-landord dispute, I would think.
I understand that....we lived in an old house previously as well...the maintenance is expected. I've just never dealt with a falling ceiling and am trying to figure out whether the rest of ceiling in the room/apartment is a timebomb waiting to come down. Obviously the asbestos is scary too.

There is no landlord dispute at this time.

I'm not worried about the plaster hurting us if it falls on us, I am worried about the molding coming down, as it seems to be quite heavy. We have chandelier molding similar to this in several rooms in the apartment....this is similar to what came down in my brother's place (without the chandelier). We've moved pretty much cleared all of the floors under any of that molding. I figure as long as we don't sleep underneath the one in the bedroom, we should be alright in the short-term. :shrug:

I've never lived in a home with plaster. How does/why does it just collapse like that without water damage?
Age, vibration, or shifting in the foundation/ frame.
Makes sense. Weird to have sudden multi-story failure w/out a recent trauma though. Maybe the LL theory about recent percussive work next door has merit.
I've certainly filed suit for plaster failure because of vibration work nearby.

Age, vibration, or shifting in the foundation/ frame.
Makes sense. Weird to have sudden multi-story failure w/out a recent trauma though. Maybe the LL theory about recent percussive work next door has merit.
I've certainly filed suit for plaster failure because of vibration work nearby.
Kinky.

No. (Ah, an engineering-type question that can be answered definitively instead of a legal question requiring a shades of gray answer.) No, you cannot. It needs to be tested.

Regrettably, even short-term exposure can be dangerous, and disturbed plaster can release fibers into the air. Safest course? Demand that LL test it with a reputable asbestos removal company, make sure you find out the official results, and move out in the meantime until it's fixed. This removes you from other physical dangers too, of course. Abate the rent in the meantime and ask (it can't hurt) for LL to pay any hotel bill.

Good luck, man. Sorry about this.

No. (Ah, an engineering-type question that can be answered definitively instead of a legal question requiring a shades of gray answer.) No, you cannot. It needs to be tested.

Regrettably, even short-term exposure can be dangerous, and disturbed plaster can release fibers into the air. Safest course? Demand that LL test it with a reputable asbestos removal company, make sure you find out the official results, and move out in the meantime until it's fixed. This removes you from other physical dangers too, of course. Abate the rent in the meantime and ask (it can't hurt) for LL to pay any hotel bill.

Good luck, man. Sorry about this.
All of what AA is saying is good, but what I upsized most of all. You do NOT want to play around with this crap, man.

A landlord does not have to pay for some hotel or something for his tenants to stay.

Where on Earth does that mean he is "not responsible"??

Jesus, dude, look up it up

Users who are viewing this thread