What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Americas Top 10 emerging beer cities (1 Viewer)

so not the best beer cities, but emerging ones?
ah I understand now

The craft brewing culture was really born in the West, which is why very few of the Emerging Beer Towns listed here is out this way. San Diego, Portland, San Francisco, Seattle, Denver, Fort Collins, Bend…all these have already emerged and are recognized for their excellence. Similarly, no Vermont towns are listed, simply because so much has been written in the recent past. Ditto for the wildly (and irrationally) hyped Asheville, which has been mentioned to death, mainly because there’s just no other brewing concentration for 500 miles in any direction and for a ridiculous, crowd-sourced poll in examiner.com

IMO the best local economic trend going on now are local microbrews and food trucks. It's all small businesses and most microbrews are family oriented - last call is around 5 or 6pm. People bring kids of all ages to my regular spot. Good from an economic and community standpoint. I know a lot more people in my area now.

Great to see lots of other cities growing in this area.

IMO the best local economic trend going on now are local microbrews and food trucks. It's all small businesses and most microbrews are family oriented - last call is around 5 or 6pm. People bring kids of all ages to my regular spot. Good from an economic and community standpoint. I know a lot more people in my area now.

Great to see lots of other cities growing in this area.
Everything old is new again. This is the old fashioned public house.

I've enjoyed the Phoenix beer scene immensely (huge nod to four peaks, basically the greatest place on earth).

That said, I'd toss out a nod to my town, lake havasu city. For a small town that is one of the hottest inhabited place on earth that is populated for the most part by retirees from the Midwest, Californians who can't afford Malibu, and meth addicts, we have three awesome breweries that I'd put against almost any other city (mudshark, barley brothers, and college st.).

Craft breweries feel like a bubble.
It's so crazy here in San Diego... There are 2 big craft brew festivals going on at the same time this Saturday. One at Del Mar Racetrack (I'm going to that one - 40 microbrews), and simultaneously there's one outside of Comic-Con (another ~40 breweries). And of course the 90-ish breweries around the county will also be busy with customers.

Very proud that my hometown made #1. There are some very good beers being brewed here. Tampa Bay Brewing Co didnt get a mention but I like some of their stuff. There is also Coppertail that should be brewing more than sample batches soon as well.

It's so crazy here in San Diego... There are 2 big craft brew festivals going on at the same time this Saturday. One at Del Mar Racetrack (I'm going to that one - 40 microbrews), and simultaneously there's one outside of Comic-Con (another ~40 breweries). And of course the 90-ish breweries around the county will also be busy with customers.
and I'm guessing the two festivals are both sold out.

There are probably now 5 to 6 craft beer festivals here in Chicago. The Great Taste in Madison has a lottery for tickets and the prices have doubled in the last 5 or 6 years.

Is there anywhere that DOESN'T have a good craft brew scene at this point?

I mean, I live in Utah which is like the most anti-alcohol state in the union and even here there are 8 pretty good craft breweries within 30 miles of my house and every one of the dozen ski resorts in the area throws a giant Oktoberfest party in the fall.

This in a state where it's illegal to carry two drinks at once, where it's illegal to pour alcohol in front of a child, and where the legislators tried (and almost succeeded) banning alcohol from Oktoberfest celebrations.

Last edited by a moderator:
NCCommish said:
Charlotte has a thriving craft beer community.
I wanted to chime in, but there are only a handfull of breweries here compared to others on the list:

olde mecklenburg, birdsong, NoDa are the main three. I know there are a few others - triple C, Heist, ### Clown are growing. I think Four friends went under, and Lenny Boy and Sycamore are just ramping up. So, that's 3 decent craft breweries, 3 almost there, and two starting up soon, so we have 8 total.

The OP's #10 town, Colombus, has 11.

I've been wanting to tour the craft breweries in Cbus ... Have made it to a few but the overwhelming hipster presence within the breweries have lowered my expectations.

Spanky267 said:
Wingnut said:
Osaurus said:
EddieSpaghetti said:
Yea, Tampa #1. There is a very strong beer scene here. :banned:
:yes:
Ive recently become a regular at Cigar City, Cycle, Rapp, and 7venth Sun. All outstanding. I've been hearing about Barley Mow lately and recently checked out Three Palms. I need to check out Pegs soon too.
Three Palms is right down the street from my office. Really need to check them out.
They have a few decent beers, I only tried a flight of 6. Small hole in the wall place, but they do can their IPA which I thought was pretty cool.The peach weiss and sour ale were good. The sour oyster stout was different and interesting but I kinda liked it. Didn't care for the blood orange wit. Wanted to try more but I had a drive ahead of me and couldn't do it...Im gonna go back this weekend and sample some more.

NCCommish said:
I wanted to chime in, but there are only a handfull of breweries here compared to others on the list:

olde mecklenburg, birdsong, NoDa are the main three. I know there are a few others - triple C, Heist, ### Clown are growing. I think Four friends went under, and Lenny Boy and Sycamore are just ramping up. So, that's 3 decent craft breweries, 3 almost there, and two starting up soon, so we have 8 total.

I'd say NoDa is the real good one here. Birdsong is just decent. Old Meck is underwhelming; they make some good Belgian styles in the taproom but everything else is below average. Heist is a pitiful attempt at beer.

NCCommish said:

I'd say NoDa is the real good one here. Birdsong is just decent. Old Meck is underwhelming; they make some good Belgian styles in the taproom but everything else is below average. Heist is a pitiful attempt at beer.
Meck only makes German tradition beers - they don't do any Belgians or anything interesting, just good, high quality German beer, which is uninspiring when compared to modern American craft beer, IMO. NoDa is a fine brewery - everything I think a craft brewey should be. Birdsong - I've never been to their brewery but I know they are available in some bars and restaraunts so they've at least got that going for them. I've never had Heist, but am looking forward to trying Lenny boy and Sycamore.

There's at least one more brewery in the area, not many know about: Benford Brewing is in Lancaster, just down the road from me. The guy was a homebrewer who wanted to legally sell beer to his neighbors, so he turned his (massive) garage into a brewery. At this time last year, he was doing a barrel and a half at a time, and distributing to a few local bars, Fast forward to today, he has a 30 barrel system in there and is distributing as far away as Myrtle Beach.

NCCommish said:

Meck only makes German tradition beers - they don't do any Belgians or anything interesting, just good, high quality German beer, which is uninspiring when compared to modern American craft beer, IMO. NoDa is a fine brewery - everything I think a craft brewey should be. Birdsong - I've never been to their brewery but I know they are available in some bars and restaraunts so they've at least got that going for them. I've never had Heist, but am looking forward to trying Lenny boy and Sycamore.

There's at least one more brewery in the area, not many know about: Benford Brewing is in Lancaster, just down the road from me. The guy was a homebrewer who wanted to legally sell beer to his neighbors, so he turned his (massive) garage into a brewery. At this time last year, he was doing a barrel and a half at a time, and distributing to a few local bars, Fast forward to today, he has a 30 barrel system in there and is distributing as far away as Myrtle Beach.
Old Meck had some type of Belgian ale in their tap room a couple months back. It was the only good one I tried and, of course, they ran out quickly.

NCCommish said:

Old Meck had some type of Belgian ale in their tap room a couple months back. It was the only good one I tried and, of course, they ran out quickly.
interesting. I was there last weekend and it was the same run of the mill stuff they usually have. They will have a Vienna Lager soon, looking forward to trying that.

FreeBaGeL said:
I travel quite a bit, and every restaurant is now offering local craft beers.

The meats, cheeses, vegatables, et al.... are local too, but apparently they aren't "craft".

NCCommish said:

By the end of 2014 with announced openings we should have 11 or more going. But yeah we are just a tick behind the count right now I think. Still it's really interesting to see the craft brew and food truck scenes taking off here.

Spanky267 said:
Very proud that my hometown made #1. There are some very good beers being brewed here. Tampa Bay Brewing Co didnt get a mention but I like some of their stuff. There is also Coppertail that should be brewing more than sample batches soon as well.
This is like being #1 in triple A baseball congrats!!!!

Austin definitely belongs on this list.

I did not have Tampa down as a beer destination, I do now.

I wish NO to get within range.

In NO:

• Nola
Neighboring parishes, next to NO:

• Chafunkta
  • 40 Arpent
  • Bayou Teche
  • Covington Brewhouse
  • Parish
  • Gnarley
Within 100 miles of NO:

• Tin Roof
  • Lazy Magnolia
  • Crooked Letter
No longer true microbrew / craft IMO:

• Abita
Really a whole lot of catching up to do.

NCCommish said:
I wanted to chime in, but there are only a handfull of breweries here compared to others on the list:olde mecklenburg, birdsong, NoDa are the main three. I know there are a few others - triple C, Heist, ### Clown are growing. I think Four friends went under, and Lenny Boy and Sycamore are just ramping up. So, that's 3 decent craft breweries, 3 almost there, and two starting up soon, so we have 8 total.

By the end of 2014 with announced openings we should have 11 or more going. But yeah we are just a tick behind the count right now I think. Still it's really interesting to see the craft brew and food truck scenes taking off here.
Who am I missing from above?

NCCommish said:
I wanted to chime in, but there are only a handfull of breweries here compared to others on the list:olde mecklenburg, birdsong, NoDa are the main three. I know there are a few others - triple C, Heist, ### Clown are growing. I think Four friends went under, and Lenny Boy and Sycamore are just ramping up. So, that's 3 decent craft breweries, 3 almost there, and two starting up soon, so we have 8 total.

It's not just quantity, but quality. You need something like Alesmith, Founders or Great Divide.

urbanhack said:
17seconds said:
Slapdash said:
and I'm guessing the two festivals are both sold out.

There are probably now 5 to 6 craft beer festivals here in Chicago. The Great Taste in Madison has a lottery for tickets and the prices have doubled in the last 5 or 6 years.
The amount of neckbeards you'll see at the beerfest outside of Comic-Con will be off the charts.

Maybe limit it to neckbearded folk

urbanhack said:
Slapdash said:
the weak ones will get weeded out.

craft beer is here to stay.
Agreed. Personally, I look forward to a little weeding out. Not rooting against choice or people getting paid to make beer, but walking into small groceries is silly right now - there has to be over a hundred choices. Its insane.

NCCommish said:

Who am I missing from above?
I don't see Rock Bottom or Free Range. But Rock Bottom doesn't count probably as it is a chain I think. Kind of like Hops. Sugar Creek Brewing Co is supposed to open this year. Unknown Brewing Co just outside of uptown. I think there are more actually but I am not really a beer guy.

urbanhack said:
Slapdash said:
the weak ones will get weeded out.

craft beer is here to stay.
Yep... IMO this is like cigars....

Only a few folks smoke

Buzz builds becomes cool. ####loads of companies pop up to feed it...some good / some poor. Overall, quality increases.

Peaks. Saturation

Dives... weak ones are weeded out. End with many more quality options before and likely quite a bit more afficianados, but well off from peak.

Economic pressure could cause some folks to drift back to cheaper MCD (multiple cold domestic) approach but I think America's taste for beer has dramatically changed. IMO this is evidenced by support for macro-"craft" brews like Sam Adams Seasonals, Fat Tire, Anchor Steam etc being staples at most places now vs something you were lucky to find 10 years ago (outside their respective regions and / or places known for beer.

You actually have to TRY to find a place that just pours BMC these days. :thumbup:

FreeBaGeL said:

I mean, I live in Utah which is like the most anti-alcohol state in the union and even here there are 8 pretty good craft breweries within 30 miles of my house and every one of the dozen ski resorts in the area throws a giant Oktoberfest party in the fall.

This in a state where it's illegal to carry two drinks at once, where it's illegal to pour alcohol in front of a child, and where the legislators tried (and almost succeeded) banning alcohol from Oktoberfest celebrations.
:lmao:

Spanky267 said:
This is like being #1 in triple A baseball congrats!!!!
Why the Tampa hate? All big leaguers gotta start somewhere. Tampa has made huge leaps in the craft beer game. Just 5-6 years Florida didn't even have access to Bells, Stone, Bear Republic, Goose Island, and countless others, it was a craft beer wasteland. Now we are seen as an up and comer with a brewery that has a beer that's consistently rated in the top 5 on the world (and currently #2 at ratebeer.com). Not too shabby.

Users who are viewing this thread