What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL 2018 YANKEE THREAD*** Gleyber Day (2 Viewers)

Smack Tripper

Footballguy
Weird year. Some thrills with Ibanez late, some heart battling injuries, but a thrashing in the ALCS. Whats next. First orders of business Kuroda, Ichiro, Swish, Martin and Pettite free agents Grandy and Cano options. Hopefully Kuroda is back at 12 mil Swish gets offered Arb and hopefully he gets offered more elsewhere. Ichiro very much welcomed back on a one year deal. Martin, see ya later. Pettite on his on clock. If he wants back, I'd expect one year at 10 million, assuming he doesn't try to pitch the whole season. I'd love to see him come in around Memorial day again and be healthy for the strectch. Beyond that, bah.

Formerly....
***OFFICIAL 2013 YANKEE SEASON THREAD*** changed 11-4-13
***OFFICIAL 2013-4 YANKEE OFF-SEASON THREAD*** changed 2-14-13
***OFFICIAL 2014 YANKEE SPRING TRAINING THREAD*** pitchers and catch changed 3-15-14
***OFFICIAL 2014 YANKEE THREAD*** Farewell to Jeter changed 7-6-14

***OFFICIAL 2014 YANKEE THREAD*** WHOS SORI NOW? changed 7-11-14

***OFFICIAL 2014 YANKEE THREAD*** Farewell to Tanaka changed 7-18-14

***OFFICIAL 2014 YANKEE THREAD*** Jetermania runnin wild changed 10-14-14

***OFFICIAL 2015 YANKEE THREAD*** Offseason and the return of A-Rod changed 2-2-15

***OFFICIAL 2015 YANKEE THREAD*** Win One for TU...love you buddy changed 11-12-15

***OFFICIAL 2015-6 HOT STOVE YANKEE THREAD*** changed 7-2-16

***OFFICIAL 2016 YANKEE THREAD*** Now with bi-monthly posts! updated 1-21-17
***OFFICIAL 2017 YANKEE THREAD*** Cash compares Chance Adams to David Cone updated 5-15-17
***OFFICIAL 2017 YANKEE THREAD*** Jeter Rides into the sunset*** updated 9-7-17
***OFFICIAL 2017 YANKEE THREAD*** RIP Stick updated 10-13-17

***OFFICIAL 2017 YANKEE THREAD*** Houston we have a problem! 12-29-17

***OFFICIAL 2018 YANKEE THREAD*** Offseason wheeling and dealing 3-29-18

***OFFICIAL 2018 YANKEE THREAD*** The Giancarlo Show 4-22-18

Last edited by a moderator:
I would actually accept an 81-81 season if they can somehow transition into simply making this a more LIKEABLE team.

It's become hard to root for these guys. I have a HATRED for half the roster.

might as well put this here too.and so it begins......

Alex Rodriguez said that he has no plans to waive his no-trade clause this offseason.A report earlier Thursday from Bob Nightengale of USA Today said A-Rod wouldn't block a trade, but evidently that's not the case. At least not at this time, anyway. "That's correct," Rodriguez said. "I will be back. I have a lot to prove." A-Rod has been in decline for five straight seasons and has $114 million left on his contract, so he's nearly impossible to deal even if he would be willing to waive his no-trade clause.
Enjoy the offseason, Yankee fans.

ill just mention the free agents for now

kuroda... would like him back on a one yr deal if possible. he proved hes got the stuff and nohow to pitch in the AL East

swisher... i wouldnt even offer him arbitration. too risky. buh bye. fyi he cost himself a ton of money. i dont think a team will have to pay him too much

ichiro... id sign him as a cheap rf to replace swisher

martin... he cant hit but hes got some pop. hes also great with the staff, plays a ton, and is good throwing out runners. id love him back. solid catchers are hard to find. obviously it depends on how much he wants. anything more then two yrs, $5m a year is too much

soriano... hell probably opt out. buh bye. as good as he was not worth another big contract.

pettitte... he wants to come back. meh. we need to get younger and move on

cano and grandy... pick up the options. duh

now this is not enough as we bring back the same team. they need to make a splash. i dont know what. maybe get david wright? i dont have high hopes

ill just mention the free agents for nowkuroda... would like him back on a one yr deal if possible. he proved hes got the stuff and nohow to pitch in the AL Eastswisher... i wouldnt even offer him arbitration. too risky. buh bye. fyi he cost himself a ton of money. i dont think a team will have to pay him too muchichiro... id sign him as a cheap rf to replace swishermartin... he cant hit but hes got some pop. hes also great with the staff, plays a ton, and is good throwing out runners. id love him back. solid catchers are hard to find. obviously it depends on how much he wants. anything more then two yrs, $5m a year is too muchsoriano... hell probably opt out. buh bye. as good as he was not worth another big contract.pettitte... he wants to come back. meh. we need to get younger and move oncano and grandy... pick up the options. duhnow this is not enough as we bring back the same team. they need to make a splash. i dont know what. maybe get david wright? i dont have high hopes
Swish arb is good risk. A huge commiment to the guy is crazy, but one year at say 14 million is perfect. Assuming they bring back Ichiro, makes Grandy more tradeable, or frankly, you can trade swish to anyone who would jump on him at a short commitment. Pettite, I hear what you're saying, but frankly, he showed some quality ability this year and I think he was good for the other pitchers. Hughes numbers improved greatly having Andy around. Martin I think you're looking more like 8 mil per and probably 3 years, and I think thats too much , but I'm torn, because I like him at the right price too. Next year is the last year before this ceiling kicks in. I'd do 1 year of 11 million for Martin and hopefully Sanchez or Romine is ready for 14. Probably wishful thinking on Sanchez. Nooney is super intriguing and I'd like him to be part of things, but they should really bite the bullet and make him a damn OF. They threw him out there with no prep, made a coulple of bad plays and that was abandoned but he has the athleticism and arm to do it. I'd love to see him groomed, particularly if its going to be a Grandy-Gardy-Itchiro OF. You need some RH presence. Jeter's injury complicates things though.

if offering swish arbitration is a good risk, why did you say hopefully he gets offered more elsewhere?

seriously. i dont even want swish back at 1yr, 1m deal. im more disgusted with him than anyone and its not even close

if offering swish arbitration is a good risk, why did you say hopefully he gets offered more elsewhere?
Because at 1 year and 12-15 million of arb money, he's both good value to plug in and keep his production while he's still at this peak OR he's a trade chip for the same reasons.I hope he gets offered more elsewhere so they get the two draft picks and I don't have to look at him any more but you only get picks if you offer arb with the new CBA.I don't want to get into a situation of paying swish 5 years for 80 million or whathave you (may go for even more, just throwing out a number). We've seen and articulated his postseason struggles and I think his particular approach problems will magnify with age so I don't want to be paying him 16 million at age 35.But 15 million at age 30, you still have to bridge the gap if you have faith in these younger players down the pipe line (Mason Williams, etc). You need something or someone to keep that regular season production in place.

Under the new compensation rules, it doesn't make sense for the Yankees to make the qualifying offer to a borderline player like Swisher unless they're really interested in retaining him. The most they'll get out of it is one 2013 sandwich pick.

Under the new compensation rules, it doesn't make sense for the Yankees to make the qualifying offer to a borderline player like Swisher unless they're really interested in retaining him. The most they'll get out of it is one 2013 sandwich pick.
Wow good point. I just reread through the rules, but some interesting points:-qualifying offer figure based on an average of the top 125 salaries in MLB, which looks to be between 12-13 mil-teams have 5 days after the world series to offer-player has 7 DAYS to acceptThey will have to get a fast read on the market. I have to think Swish would at least get a Willingham/Cuddyer level contract of 3 years/36 mil. But you're right, a dicier proposition based on only one pick of compensation. Definite food for thought. I would still do it. Swish for a year at 12.5 million is an asset any way you slice it.I'm with the Yank homers though in that i don't want him on the team.Its also a rough free agent class this year. Swish and/or Grandy would/should have trade value.

The free agent market sucks. Swisher probably isn't coming back. I'd be surprised if anyone takes Alex's contract and I'm not sure they need to trade him. Maybe a longer than usual offseason and some more treatment gets his hip back enough that he gets some of his swing back. The staff probably needs one more arm, but there isn't much out there. What's the word on Pineda? Is he done?

OK....

Rangers need OF help with Hamilton leaving and Cruz injured. We sign Swisher to a good deal. We take him and Gardner and move them to Texas for a couple of their prospects....Profar and Olt. I know we'd be giving up a lot....but that could pay dividends in a few years.

A-Rod + 50% of his salary to the Phils for Dom Brown.

I don't think we have enough to get Trout.....but maybe float Grandy and Hughes and a couple of A/AA prospects. See if they go for that.

That's a start.

OK....Rangers need OF help with Hamilton leaving and Cruz injured. We sign Swisher to a good deal. We take him and Gardner and move them to Texas for a couple of their prospects....Profar and Olt. I know we'd be giving up a lot....but that could pay dividends in a few years.A-Rod + 50% of his salary to the Phils for Dom Brown.I don't think we have enough to get Trout.....but maybe float Grandy and Hughes and a couple of A/AA prospects. See if they go for that. That's a start.
:lmao: at this whole post

OK....Rangers need OF help with Hamilton leaving and Cruz injured. We sign Swisher to a good deal. We take him and Gardner and move them to Texas for a couple of their prospects....Profar and Olt. I know we'd be giving up a lot....but that could pay dividends in a few years.A-Rod + 50% of his salary to the Phils for Dom Brown.I don't think we have enough to get Trout.....but maybe float Grandy and Hughes and a couple of A/AA prospects. See if they go for that. That's a start.
:unsure:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Pretty sure he was being sarcastic guys
You think?The Yanks this year will have to mine those fields of veteran players; giving out one and two year deals to those who can either platoon effectively or who still have something left to prove. That'll bring down payroll a little and give them flexibility.Hamilton,Victorino to long term deals?.....That's fools gold.

OK....A-Rod + 50% of his salary to the Phils for Dom Brown.I don't think we have enough to get Trout.....but maybe float Grandy and Hughes and a couple of A/AA prospects. See if they go for that.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:Edit: guess he's not just a dumb Yankee fan. Dammit.

Wait a second, wait a second, wait a second. Dis idear dat da Angels wouldn't jump at the chance to bring in a future Hall uh Famuh like A-Rod and play him at 3rd base fouah da next 5 yeaz is udduh nonsense. Ok.
LOL!.....I live near Philly and was subjected to the countless Trumbo/Trout for Lee deals that were permeating 610 all summer long.

Wait a second, wait a second, wait a second. Dis idear dat da Angels wouldn't jump at the chance to bring in a future Hall uh Famuh like A-Rod and play him at 3rd base fouah da next 5 yeaz is udduh nonsense. Ok.
LOL!.....I live near Philly and was subjected to the countless Trumbo/Trout for Lee deals that were permeating 610 all summer long.
That is golden. Love that.

How about A-Rod for Ryan Howard? Their contracts are pretty close (5 years/$105M guaranteed for Howard). The Phillies need a 3B and both players could probably use a change of scenery. Howard could aim for the RF porch until his body falls apart.

I personally wouldn't do the deal from the Yankees perspective. They're already committed at that end of the defensive spectrum. Howard is younger but has had injury issues of his own and always seems like the kind of talent that won't age well. If I was A-Rod, I'd also think three times about waiving my no trade clause to end up in Philadelphia.

You know you have a bad contract when even straight up potential trades for the worst contracts in the game (e.g. Crawford, Wells, A. Soriano) don't make any sense for the seller.

someone called into WFAN today and suggested trading Granderson AND a prospect for Jeff Francouer. I swear he was serious

Unless Kuroda wants to leave his options open to go back to Japan after next season, he has easily earned a multiyear deal if he wants one. If he only wants one year though, we've got to bring him back.

Same with Ichiro, I'd love to see him come back on a 1-year deal but I would imagine he has earned a multiyear deal from someone even if just for the marketability aspect.

I want to bring Martin back. I like him, and I think he's better than a .200 hitter...not to mention, if he walks who is our catcher going to be?

Agreed on Pettitte, it's up to him.

They'll probably offer arb to Swisher, knowing he will reject it for a multiyear deal with someone else. As bad as he was in the postseason, someone out there will pay for those regular season stats and it's not gonna be us.

Wright has an option that the Mets should pick up, I think around $15-$16 mil. I love Hamilton but that is a contract that seems like a disaster waiting to happen, whoever signs him. I'd honestly like to sign Greinke. He's got the anxiety issues, but I don't think that would be made worse being in NY. Good Posnanski article from last year about how Greinke may be a great fit in NY because he doesn't have to be "the man" just another piece. As much as the issue was with the offense in the postseason, I can't help but think a still fairly young potential ace who can be had at a decent value has to be a consideration no?

How much do we give Mo?

As the Yankees await word on Mariano Rivera’s plans for 2013, their ninth-inning insurance policy appears willing to walk out the door. Rafael Soriano has opted out of his contract, the team announced this afternoon.Soriano is due $14 million for next season, but would receive a $1.5 million buyout if he opts out. Soriano could receive another multi-year deal on the open market, after an excellent 2012 campaign.The Yankees most likely will counter with a $13.3 million qualifying offer in order to receive draft-pick compensation, should Soriano depart. But once he turns down that offer, the team could pursue him for a two-year deal as continued insurance for Rivera. Free agency begins on Saturday.After Rivera tore his ACL in May, Soriano filled in with aplomb. He collected 42 saves with a 2.26 ERA and more than a strikeout per inning.The Yankees understood Soriano might depart early when the team gave him this contract following the 2010 season. Soriano elected not to opt out after 2011, when he experienced some difficulty adjusting to New York and finished with a 4.12 ERA.

As the Yankees await word on Mariano Rivera’s plans for 2013, their ninth-inning insurance policy appears willing to walk out the door. Rafael Soriano has opted out of his contract, the team announced this afternoon.Soriano is due $14 million for next season, but would receive a $1.5 million buyout if he opts out. Soriano could receive another multi-year deal on the open market, after an excellent 2012 campaign.The Yankees most likely will counter with a $13.3 million qualifying offer in order to receive draft-pick compensation, should Soriano depart. But once he turns down that offer, the team could pursue him for a two-year deal as continued insurance for Rivera. Free agency begins on Saturday.After Rivera tore his ACL in May, Soriano filled in with aplomb. He collected 42 saves with a 2.26 ERA and more than a strikeout per inning.The Yankees understood Soriano might depart early when the team gave him this contract following the 2010 season. Soriano elected not to opt out after 2011, when he experienced some difficulty adjusting to New York and finished with a 4.12 ERA.
Why do the Yankees continue to give "opt-out" clauses? They are paying guys like Sabathia and Soriano dam good money. Why give them more leverage with the opt-out clause?

Why do the Yankees continue to give "opt-out" clauses? They are paying guys like Sabathia and Soriano dam good money. Why give them more leverage with the opt-out clause?
Sabathia was a reasonable one, and he had the leverage of being a legit ace (and perhaps the last legit ace) to hit the open market. Soriano was an attrocious option setup. To give TWO opt outs in a 3 year deal to an injury plagued guy when youre paying him a fair market rate is ridiculous. Thank you Randy Levine.

'Smack Tripper said:
Sabathia was a reasonable one, and he had the leverage of being a legit ace (and perhaps the last legit ace) to hit the open market. Soriano was an attrocious option setup. To give TWO opt outs in a 3 year deal to an injury plagued guy when youre paying him a fair market rate is ridiculous. Thank you Randy Levine.
IMO an opt out clause only hurts the team. If the player has a crappy year they are stuck with the contract. If they have a good year the palyer opts out and holds the team hostage. The only way I would give opt out clauses if they were two way opt outs.

'Smack Tripper said:
IMO an opt out clause only hurts the team. If the player has a crappy year they are stuck with the contract. If they have a good year the palyer opts out and holds the team hostage. The only way I would give opt out clauses if they were two way opt outs.
Well it's not like an opt out is worthless. As I recall in sabthias car his specific opt Out request was tied to him being uncertain if he'd respond to NYC. It it's make or break in signing a stud, I'm ok with it. For a jobber like sori who had no market, it's brutal.I agree with you in principle but am ok with exceptions for the elite.

David Cone was so impressed with the haul the Blue Jays will get from the Marlins, he thinks Toronto is the team to beat in the division.“I would think they’d have to be the favorite, right now, in the American League East,” Cone said.While the Blue Jays have fooled people into thinking they could contend before, the addition of Jose Reyes, Josh Johnson and Mark Buehrle, coupled with the Yankees’ focus on reducing their payroll, makes them a force to be reckoned with, according to Cone. The trade is currently being reviewed by MLB.“If [Andy] Pettitte says no and [Hiroki] Kuroda says no, that leaves some gaping holes in the rotation,” Cone said of the free agents. “Then [GM Brian] Cashman’s got more work to do. He’s already got a tough job this winter.”One that would become tougher if Pettitte decides to retire and Kuroda opts to sign elsewhere.“I think Andy wants to play,” said Joe Girardi, who has spoken to the lefty several times since the season ended. “That’s my feeling from what I saw last year. But there are family decisions he has to make.”

Agreed on Kuroda, he was the MUST sign of the offseason.

Hearing new stuff about the auserity budget for 2014, it sounds like they can and will by all costs get under that limbo bar, short of an under .500 season next year. I guess, from what I can figure out, it will basically reset the tax percentage plateau. It behooves them to stay at that rate for 2015 but its not as imperative as the 2014 number. I think they're playing for the wildcard for next two years.

Things are shaping up. Kuroda back. Andy back. MO BACK! :excited:

Lost Martin. Not gonna be easy finding a .160-hitting backstop who sails throws into the OF.

On a more important note, who is our catcher now? Sanchez/Romine aren't ready, Cervelli is a backup. Who's still out there?

Users who are viewing this thread