What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Footballguys is hiring (1 Viewer)

Cathy Fazio

Token Chick
We are looking for recappers for the upcoming 2008 season. Game recaps are an integral part of the inseason content, and the information written about specific players is included in our player pages.

For an example of what we are looking for, here is a great example: Sample Recap

If you are interested, please watch any preseason game, write up a recap and send it to me at fazio@footballguys.com, preferably as a word document. Also being sure to note if you have NFL Sunday ticket and if not, what market you are in or teams you could cover on a regular basis.

Game recaps pay $25.00 per recap, and a subscription to the site is included as well. I usually have more recappers than games on a weekly basis, but I try to even things out throughout the season. And I do work with you as to your schedule and team coverage preferences.

If you have any questions, please feel free to pm me or send me an email.

Last edited by a moderator:
that's quite thorough, that example.

Is that a summary of several reporters or by just one individual?

From my experience on the recap squad (heading into year three), I can tell you that the sample is an outstanding example of one person's work, with edit and review by FBG staff, of course. :boxing: And no, I didn't write that one. That's something to aspire to, though.

From my experience on the recap squad (heading into year three), I can tell you that the sample is an outstanding example of one person's work, with edit and review by FBG staff, of course. :hangover: And no, I didn't write that one. That's something to aspire to, though.
Really? WOW yeah that's some pretty great work.I did this for stats inc years ago and sorta keep an eye on those things every now and then. That's exceptional.

One Q though, with stats we enterred in every play 32 rush 10yards first down, tackle by 56.

You guys do that? or just the overall recap?

Are the game stats(play by play) and targets from NFL or done by recapper?

I have a hard time believing that one guy could enter in every play AND recap that well. The cruddy part of stats job was you actually didn't see the game so much as became a numbers hound. Kinda hard to word.

I could see him taking notes(without the stats) then writing something later.

Eh well that's well done, kudos to him.

From my experience on the recap squad (heading into year three), I can tell you that the sample is an outstanding example of one person's work, with edit and review by FBG staff, of course. :lmao: And no, I didn't write that one. That's something to aspire to, though.
Really? WOW yeah that's some pretty great work.I did this for stats inc years ago and sorta keep an eye on those things every now and then. That's exceptional.

One Q though, with stats we enterred in every play 32 rush 10yards first down, tackle by 56.

I have a hard time believing that one guy could enter in every play AND recap that well. The cruddy part of stats job was you actually didn't see the game so much as became a numbers hound. Kinda hard to word.

The internet has lots of great places to get the stats, and I personally use NFL.com as a statistical supplement to watching the game. The targets are tracked by the individual Recapper, but can also be verified against other sources. NFL.com's play-by-play has gotten both consistently more accurate and more detailed, which I've also found to be a great resource. I can't speak for the other Recappers, but I've put some time into creating some tables and spreadsheets that I can print out to use for tracking various aspects of the game while I'm watching (targets, drives, scoring, etc.).

From my experience on the recap squad (heading into year three), I can tell you that the sample is an outstanding example of one person's work, with edit and review by FBG staff, of course. :lmao: And no, I didn't write that one. That's something to aspire to, though.

Game recaps are done by one individual per game. And the recappers are outstanding, amaze me every week.The stat line is pulled in automatically when the recaps are generated to the site. Thanks to Doug Drinen.

Targets are counted by the recapper, and confirmed at NFL.com. Once in a great while NFL.com does make a mistake.

When are these due every week? Is this one day turnaround from comletion of a game? A regular feature on the same day every week? Just curious. Thanks.
The recaps are due by 5 am EST Monday following the game. Sunday and Monday night games are due by 12 noon EST. They are posted to the site, usually by late Monday afternoon.

If that recap is indicative of an average recap, that is a lot of work for $25.00. I would guess 5 hours work or so between watching the game, reviewing it via TIVO and writing the actual recap. Not that your basic model would suggest paying more than $25 per game, but $5 an hour is not exactly time well spent. I guess you could skip the game and just TIVO it. Take notes while watching it later. You might be able to complete a good recap in 3 hours time.

If that recap is indicative of an average recap, that is a lot of work for $25.00. I would guess 5 hours work or so between watching the game, reviewing it via TIVO and writing the actual recap. Not that your basic model would suggest paying more than $25 per game, but $5 an hour is not exactly time well spent. I guess you could skip the game and just TIVO it. Take notes while watching it later. You might be able to complete a good recap in 3 hours time.
You're right, Pat, it's not really about the money. But it is a nice touch.

If its not about the money then what do you get out of it? The satisfaction of a job well done? Promise of more lucrative employment down the line? Less time with your kids? Whats the end game?

Pat Patriot said:
If its not about the money then what do you get out of it? The satisfaction of a job well done? Promise of more lucrative employment down the line? Less time with your kids? Whats the end game?
Some people like to write and have their stuff published. If it's not worth it to you, why don't you just move on?

Pat Patriot said:
Money is certainly part of it, though not the entire reason for it.Yes.Possibly.I don't have any kids.Turning in a recap, having it edited and published, and having thousands (hopefully) read it.

Some people like to write and have their stuff published. If it's not worth it to you, why don't you just move on?
Dude, it was a legitimate question and I was curious. Whats wrong with that? I'm not here attacking anybody for doing these recaps.

From ny, but i live in NC... I wouldnt be surprised if yall dont have anybody to recap Panthers games. I would like to give it a shot

From ny, but i live in NC... I wouldnt be surprised if yall dont have anybody to recap Panthers games. I would like to give it a shot
You should definitely give it a shot, but don't underestimate the number of FBGs with Sunday Ticket™. :jealous:

Hi Cathy, are you still accepting exhibition examples of the game recaps? I'd be interested in doing this, only issue is I don't have Sunday Ticket. With satellite I probably get about 8 games a week, and I am from Canada so I don't always get one team or another. Do you have others like that, and do you juggle the game responsibilities? Let me know asap as to whether that scenerio has the potential to work for you. Thx.

Wait.....they will PAY ME to watch the game I was going to watch anyway, and write about it (when I would almost certainly be here talking/writing about it anyway)?And then I can LEGITIMATELY tell my old lady I'm "working" while on FBG or watchingfootball?AND THIS IS BAD HOW??????????BY THE WAY....SIGN ME UP!!!! :thumbup:

I don't know if they are looking for more recappers for this year (I guess a PM to Clayton would get you an answer)....BUT for those of you who might be interested and as some suggested you would be watching a particular team or would watch one game to do this........since you are getting paid the $25 per week, you could write off your Sunday Ticket subscritption as a work expense :thumbup:

From my experience on the recap squad (heading into year three), I can tell you that the sample is an outstanding example of one person's work, with edit and review by FBG staff, of course. :goodposting: And no, I didn't write that one. That's something to aspire to, though.

Thanks for the kudos. I spent a lot of time on my recaps. Bizarre I never saw this thread a year ago.I charted every play of the game using grid of players by positions. Different symbols for targets, penalties, sacks, incompletions, drops, TDs, etc. I have a digital copy of a sample if someone wants one. Tried to get a large chunk of it done during halftime and usually was able to finish an hour or two after the completion of a game, but I was writing continuously during games as well. Writing these is definitely the one thing I miss about working for FBG.

I also would like to know if FBG's is hiring this year for recappers. I wanted to apply last year but I was in my final year of school and did not want to end up choosing whether to write a term paper or my FBG recap. But now that I can donate 100% of time to it, I wouldnt mind writing at all.

I edited the opening post to reflect, that yes we will be hiring game recappers for the Fall.
Sweet, I'll have to send in a sample here soon. Is there anyway to move up to a 3 digit membership number as compensation. Ever since I had car issues the day this site converted over I've been stuck with a 4 digit number since I logged in at the end of the day.

I'll do the Detroit Lions...I watch all their games...Does this constitute an application?
that should be easy...Today the Lions punted the ball a lot. They played pretty bad. They surprisingly were in the game late in the fourth quarter but a last minute interception that was returned for a touchdown sealed the defeat for the motor city kitties.

I'll do the Detroit Lions...I watch all their games...Does this constitute an application?
that should be easy...Today the Lions punted the ball a lot. They played pretty bad. They surprisingly were in the game late in the fourth quarter but a last minute interception that was returned for a touchdown sealed the defeat for the motor city kitties.
wow you're good..."they played well on special teams, Their Punter really has a well developed Kicking Leg...except for one blown play which allowed DHester to tie the NFL record of an 109 punt return...They had a shot..."

I would be interested in the job only if I am in contract to be the only recapper for all AFC games and all playoff games.

My Fantasy skills and NFL knowledge are legendary in many circles. Just ask around.

No offense but 25 bucks for what looks to be a several hour job (not including watching the game) is lowballing contributors.

No offense but 25 bucks for what looks to be a several hour job (not including watching the game) is lowballing contributors.
I disagree. Since I would do it for free just to have it published on such a high-quality and well respected site, $25 bucks in my opinion is a pretty sweet deal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread