What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Coaching Changes - New coach tendencies, IDP impact (1 Viewer)

msommer

Footballguy
I decided to start this thread as a place holder for the coaching carousel and the impact the changes might give to the IDP landscape.

First job is already in place, Bill O'Brien from the Belichick branch of the coaching tree, but from the offensive side. At Penn he worked with Tom Bradley as DC. How does this translate to the Texans?

Frazier DC in Tampa

Munchak and his entire staff fired in TEN. Does Fisher hire Gregg Williams again?

Last edited by a moderator:
If Jim Schwarz is hired as the Browns DC, will the Browns go back to a 4-3 team and Jabaal Sheard back to DE?

Whisenhunt rumoured to want to change to a 2-gap 3-4 in TEN and wants to hire PIT LB coach Butler as DC

Interesting.

Timmons was among the league leaders in blitz percentage. It would be nice if they found someone that's willing to unleash Zach Brown. Definitely worth monitoring.

Whisenhunt rumoured to want to change to a 2-gap 3-4 in TEN and wants to hire PIT LB coach Butler as DC

Interesting.
Ugh. That'd pretty much kill Morgan/Casey if Butler maintained a strict "LeBeau Fire Zone" flavor 3-4. Could make McCarthy viable again though, if he secured one of the starting inside LB gigs.

Saw a rumor that Whisenhunt is also a fan of Horton's for his new DC. That'd still be a 3-4, but probably a bit more friendly to the DEs at least. He's certainly aggressive, if nothing else.

ETA: Seeing that the Browns have given Horton permission to talk to other teams about vacancies, even if it's a lateral move. Fully expect he'll be heading to Nashville if he doesn't get bites for a HC gig.

5-ish Finkle said:

Interesting.
Ugh. That'd pretty much kill Morgan/Casey if Butler maintained a strict "LeBeau Fire Zone" flavor 3-4. Could make McCarthy viable again though, if he secured one of the starting inside LB gigs.

Saw a rumor that Whisenhunt is also a fan of Horton's for his new DC. That'd still be a 3-4, but probably a bit more friendly to the DEs at least. He's certainly aggressive, if nothing else.

ETA: Seeing that the Browns have given Horton permission to talk to other teams about vacancies, even if it's a lateral move. Fully expect he'll be heading to Nashville if he doesn't get bites for a HC gig.
Horton hasn't gotten a sniff at an interview yet and who's left other than CLE? Pretty obvious he's not on their short list...

I'd love to see Horton in TEN but not sure the personnel matches. Jurell Casey might move to end, what about the other DTs? Anyone a space eater with a nasty streak? Wimbley doesn't fit at all, so it would be Ayers on the outside, is Brown big enough to go to the other side or would Morgan transition to OLB.

Agree on McCarthy, he's won a reprieve but if all of his tackles are made 7-8 yards from the LOS and he misses too many, then he'll be on the bench again.

It's looking more and more like LB to the Titans in the 1st. Or maybe NT. Or OT?

The personnel isn't a great match at present, but that hasn't stopped teams from making the switch in the past(it wasn't a great match for Cleveland either, really). They do have some guys who could fit.

Ropati is certainly big enough to play 5-tech at one of the End spots. I'd guess they'd be more likely to try and put weight on Morgan and keep him at DE rather than make him drop it and move to LB. Can't imagine they'd want to use him in coverage under any avoidable circumstance, so making him into a Will seems....risky. Just guessing though. He'd clearly be the guy who got screwed the most for fantasy purposes with a switch, along with Wimbley I guess, but who's depending on Wimbley anyway? :)

I like Casey a good bit, but wonder if he'd be able to make the move to end. He's kind of squatty. That said, I don't necessarily think he's equipped to be a "Hampton-esque" NG, but they still have Hill on the roster don't they? That guy is massive. If Butler were the guy hired they'd desperately need to get that guy who demanded the double in the middle or the scheme will crumble.

Horton's brand of 3-4 is more "fast and loose", in my mind. Still need a NG you can depend on, but it seems(to me anyway, but I'm not a Cards/Browns fan) like he's comfortable rotating guys there heavily.

Looks like it's Horton in Tennessee. Will be waiting to see what he decides to do with Casey/Morgan before I draw any final conclusions, but my initial reaction for them is <_<

I had a conversation last off season with braxie smathers on Horton's defense, which led me to take a shot at TJ Ward this season (who finished DB4). With George WIlson, Griffin and Pollard in TEN there certainly is talent to pick from but it remais to be seen who (if any) would be the beneficiaries. IIRC there never really was a DB in ARI that stood out except Kerry Rhodes and he was mostly hit and miss...

I had a conversation last off season with braxie smathers on Horton's defense, which led me to take a shot at TJ Ward this season (who finished DB4). With George WIlson, Griffin and Pollard in TEN there certainly is talent to pick from but it remais to be seen who (if any) would be the beneficiaries. IIRC there never really was a DB in ARI that stood out except Kerry Rhodes and he was mostly hit and miss...
Yes and no. The production Horton got out of 55 year old Yeremiah Bell is noteworthy. The tenn. DBs were already fantasy-friendly, though, so I'm not sure if this makes a gem out of dirt. THe LBers, however, should produce a fantasy must-have. In Zona, they used the d-line to completely open up things for Daryl Washington and Horton loves that a-gap blitz. I think Brown probably is the best physical match for that job but I don't follow him enough to know if he has the overall game for it.

Yes and no. The production Horton got out of 55 year old Yeremiah Bell is noteworthy. The tenn. DBs were already fantasy-friendly, though, so I'm not sure if this makes a gem out of dirt. THe LBers, however, should produce a fantasy must-have. In Zona, they used the d-line to completely open up things for Daryl Washington and Horton loves that a-gap blitz. I think Brown probably is the best physical match for that job but I don't follow him enough to know if he has the overall game for it.
Maybe the DBs were getting tackles because Moise and Colin where whiffing all the time...

But in any case you are right. They are known. Pollard is UFA, Wilson twounder contract in 2014 (for 2m I think) and Griffins salary baloons to 6,2m vs 5.4 to cut him. He ranked DB 35 this year, Pollard DB 7. Wilson way behind both of them. He might fly under the radar a bit. Could also be they use the cash they save by cutting Griffin to resign Pollard to a longer contract.

Subscribing. JJ Watt in the "elephant" role manned by Willie McGinest in NE doesn't strike me as a bad thing. I'm new to IDP so maybe Willie didn't have stats to back it up but I recall him pretty consistently making plays, whether it was tackles, pass break-ups, and the always obvious sacks.

EDIT: NVMD - Of course I realize after posting that it would lead to an OLB designation, rather than DE.

Loving Mike Pettine in Cleveland so far. He's been Rex Ryan's understudy and did a good job in Buf with the talent he had.

Users who are viewing this thread