What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trade Vetoed - Opinions? (1 Viewer)

SecondString

Footballguy
In an ESPN league, Julius Thomas was offered for Andre Ellington and Keenan Allen. Thomas owner also owns Gronk. Trade got vetoed (5 required votes) based on "imbalance".

Opinions?

I've always had issues with vetoes in ESPN leagues. I guess the JT owner needs to add another player to make things more balanced instead of just two for one.

don't join leagues that allow vetos...

having said that, seems like a totally legit trade as both teams benefit; both teams have owners who are sentient beings; both teams exercise their right for free will.

On 2nd thought, I don't even know which side people thought for the better end of the deal.

I've never seen a trade get vetoed in any of the leagues I'm in (all dynasty) and there have been some terrible trades, so this getting overturned is pretty surprising.

Allowing owners to vote on vetoes allows owners to block any and every trade that makes both teams better, which is theoretically the point of every trade.

In an ESPN league, Julius Thomas was offered for Andre Ellington and Keenan Allen. Thomas owner also owns Gronk. Trade got vetoed (5 required votes) based on "imbalance".

Opinions?
Who populates this league?

Is it just a random free public league? People you know? Private league for money/how were the managers assembled?

Vetoing that is stupid.

But if owners can veto other people's trades because they don't want other teams to improve, well, they just might do that

Opinions?
Who populates this league?

Is it just a random free public league? People you know? Private league for money/how were the managers assembled?

Vetoing that is stupid.

But if owners can veto other people's trades because they don't want other teams to improve, well, they just might do that
Local 14-team league, $100 entry. Live draft.

Everyone who vetoed should have fantasy football privileges revoked.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bad veto.

I still prefer owner veto power over commish veto power.

I don't understand why people join leagues with morons who don't understand the purpose of the veto.

Maybe all the owners should get together and come up with their best proposals for Julius Thomas and then they can all vote on which offer is the best and that is the final deal. Kind of sucks though to be the Julius Thomas owner and not have any say in who you acquire for him.

It was vetoed by owners purely because of self-interest.
This is exactly right, this why you don't join leagues that have veto votes. Collusion is the only reason to veto
I'll say, in my main league (local) we have a veto - but have no problem with it because no one's a #####. We've had some major trades that swung balances of power significantly without issue.

I like having it because it prevents collusion such "I'll trade you A.J. Green and Arian Foster for scrubs if you trade me X and Y next year" or something like that. But then again, I know everyone in my league.

Awful. We don't allow vetoes, all trades go through instantly and are only reviewed if there is is a serious outpouring of concern and reasonable evidence of collusion.

We used to use veto's to decide trades. For this reason we no longer do it this way. Trades would be vetoed solely based on whether it was in the best interest of the teams not involved in the trade vs the other way around. Now it's decided by the commishes unless their team is involved, then it defers to another owner.

Opinions?
BS quit league immediately or if already paid quit after season.... No reason trade should be banned.. or send a scrub player to even out 2-2 if that's what they mean by imbalance??

worst trade I ever seen was 3 years ago in Dynasty owner gave up L. Blount, David Nelson and a 2nd round pick for Brandon Marshall.... That's as lopsided as they come and that wasn't vetoed... That is complete horseshi# they vetoed that trade bro.

Opinions?
BS quit league immediately or if already paid quit after season.... No reason trade should be banned.. or send a scrub player to even out 2-2 if that's what they mean by imbalance??
Quit not because of the dumb veto rule but because the league is full of petty whiners.

Awful. We don't allow vetoes, all trades go through instantly and are only reviewed if there is is a serious outpouring of concern and reasonable evidence of collusion.
Yup, any league NOT like this consistently surprises me. Especially one where it is a $100 entry fee. That is even more astounding.

Opinions?
Leagues with trades are dumb.

But to address your situation trades should not be "voted" on.

Opinions?
I don't understand the imbalance. Staring requirement would be helpful.

You should NEVER allow other owners to vote on a trade.

But if you do I will ALWAYS vote in my team's best interest.

So if a trade makes a team stronger that threatens my playoff chances, I'm voting against it.

I would just resend the trade, and then post a message that it will keep being put through until someone puts forth a better offer or the original is not vetoed.
I agree, it's a joke. There is no reason for a trade like that to get shot down. Get out of that league ASAP

So if a trade makes a team stronger that threatens my playoff chances, I'm voting against it.
You are the reason my leagues are commish approval (have never not approved immediately) or no approval at all they just go immediately.

So you prefer where just the commissioner gets to veto trades? Odd stance considering you freely admit that you are only capable of acting in a selfish manner. What makes you think a commissioner would be any different?

Or do you prefer no trades at all, or simply allowing all trades to go through?

You are the reason my leagues are commish approval (have never not approved immediately) or no approval at all they just go immediately.
I can get behind the no approval required leagues but having a commish doesn't seem like a viable solution considering everyone in here seems to be entirely selfish. What makes you think a commish wouldn't be equally self interested, or just stupid enough to think a trade like this was imbalanced and veto it?

I would just resend the trade, and then post a message that it will keep being put through until someone puts forth a better offer or the original is not vetoed.
I really like this strategy a lot.

Agreed. Neil's post is a valuable one in that I think that is how a lot of people think. Which is why I would never trust other owners to vote objectively on a trade. There should never be any vetoes, and the commissioner should only be looking at trades for possible collusion and that's it.

I can get behind the no approval required leagues but having a commish doesn't seem like a viable solution considering everyone in here seems to be entirely selfish. What makes you think a commish wouldn't be equally self interested, or just stupid enough to think a trade like this was imbalanced and veto it?
If you don't trust people then you just can't have trades because allowing trades with no recourse whatsoever means obvious collusion cannot be handled. And even then you'd have to do FAAB and all dropped players go on waivers or else you could get collusion where the party receiving the player simply needs #1 waiver priority before they do it.

You simply need a commish who will do the right thing (which is almost always to do nothing) and who isn't a complete moron. It's not difficult.

I've been commish of multiple leagues for years and mostly use commish approval for trades, or just wide open trades (since I can always use the magic wand to undo things), and haven't had any issues. I've also, long story short, corrected some things that came up mid season, half of the time which harmed me/my team, but I just did what needed to be done and it was all good. It's NOT hard, you just can't be a selfish #####

Of course the commish says that he would never be biased.

And I only play in a league where I know and trust everyone. Makes the whole process very easy.

Maybe all the owners should get together and come up with their best proposals for Julius Thomas and then they can all vote on which offer is the best and that is the final deal. Kind of sucks though to be the Julius Thomas owner and not have any say in who you acquire for him.
This is one of those ideas that almost sounds good at first, but is terrible in reality. I think the standard response would be to immediately quit any league where the other teams decided who I was going to trade for. Its even worse if its a new "rule" that wasn't in place when I paid my money.

The better solution is for the other owners not to over-react to small "perceived" differences in value. Its amazing how cocky people get about Fantasy Football and act like they KNOW how every game is going to play out. Who's good and who sucks.

Ellington and Allen for Julius Thomas...

I swear I must be terrible at fantasy football, but not only do I think this is a fair trade... I'm not even sure which side the league thinks is getting fleeced. I'll go with the team giving Thomas, because it's almost always better to get the one in a two for one. That said, Ellington and Allen is a pretty big haul for a TE. Both have legit top 10 upside at their position.

If you don't trust people then you just can't have trades because allowing trades with no recourse whatsoever means obvious collusion cannot be handled. And even then you'd have to do FAAB and all dropped players go on waivers or else you could get collusion where the party receiving the player simply needs #1 waiver priority before they do it.

You simply need a commish who will do the right thing (which is almost always to do nothing) and who isn't a complete moron. It's not difficult.

I've been commish of multiple leagues for years and mostly use commish approval for trades, or just wide open trades (since I can always use the magic wand to undo things), and haven't had any issues. I've also, long story short, corrected some things that came up mid season, half of the time which harmed me/my team, but I just did what needed to be done and it was all good. It's NOT hard, you just can't be a selfish #####
Ahhh... the benevolent dictator.

Works for free and cares about the integrity of the league. It's definitely the best type of commissioner.

Works for free and cares about the integrity of the league. It's definitely the best type of commissioner.
8 years running, multiple leagues now

It's NOT hard.

I haven't had to veto/disallow a trade yet. Haven't even considered it actually. Nor has anybody complained about trades I was involved in.

Even if you don't believe you are capable of doing that, please don't project that onto others.

It's NOT hard.

I haven't had to veto/disallow a trade yet. Haven't even considered it actually. Nor has anybody complained about trades I was involved in.

Even if you don't believe you are capable of doing that, please don't project that onto others.
Forgive me. I wasn't being sarcastic.

Leonidas said:
Air Stich said:
Leonidas said:
Chaka said:
Leonidas said:
Neil Beaufort Zod said:

It's NOT hard.

It's nice to be in leagues like that. I definitely wouldn't trust them with the awesome power of votes though. Wouldn't want to risk anarchy.

This thread did get me thinking about the whole process and next year I am going to push my league to adopt the FreeLove method of auto processing trades and only having a review if a complaint is made.

Seems like the best way to go. Commissioners can't be trusted.

ETA: Owners probably aren't much better.

ETAx2: Seriously, why do people participate in leagues with people they don't know and/or can't trust?

Ridiculous veto. You should quit the league.

[Didn't read the OP, but I think I'm on safe ground here.]

It's nice to be in leagues like that. I definitely wouldn't trust them with the awesome power of votes though. Wouldn't want to risk anarchy.
Votes are far too slow. You have to give a couple days so everybody has a chance to see it/log in/possibly vote.

Votes are far too slow. You have to give a couple days so everybody has a chance to see it/log in/possibly vote.
Yeah, that is a legitimate issue/concern. But in my experience with 10-12 owners and only requiring a simple majority it is pretty easy to drum up the vote in a short time frame.

Then again I only play in one league where most of the owners have been together for almost 20 years so things just go smoother in that circumstance. We had one of the worst trades that I have ever seen pass through last week (super-flex QB, non-ppr, 12 team, 16 man roster, 9 starters) Dez Bryant and Shane Vereen for Jake Locker and Trent Richardson. It's an awful trade even in a super-flex (dude lost RGIII and panicked) but we all know for a fact that there was no collusion and our owners generally believe that people should be allowed to make bad decisions even if it makes one team much stronger.

I think most of the owners primary complaint was that they didn't get to the guy willing to trade Dez for a bag of wet paper first. I would hate to play in a league where a majority of owners or the high and mighty commish overturned such a deal just because they felt it upset "competitive balance". People need to be allowed to trade Herschel Walker for 12 players/draft pics, even if it is a terrible decision.

Yeah, that is a legitimate issue/concern. But in my experience with 10-12 owners and only requiring a simple majority it is pretty easy to drum up the vote in a short time frame.

Then again I only play in one league where most of the owners have been together for almost 20 years so things just go smoother in that circumstance. We had one of the worst trades that I have ever seen pass through last week (super-flex QB, non-ppr, 12 team, 16 man roster, 9 starters) Dez Bryant and Shane Vereen for Jake Locker and Trent Richardson. It's an awful trade even in a super-flex (dude lost RGIII and panicked) but we all know for a fact that there was no collusion and our owners generally believe that people should be allowed to make bad decisions even if it makes one team much stronger.

I think most of the owners primary complaint was that they didn't get to the guy willing to trade Dez for a bag of wet paper first. I would hate to play in a league where a majority of owners or the high and mighty commish overturned such a deal just because they felt it upset "competitive balance". People need to be allowed to trade Herschel Walker for 12 players/draft pics, even if it is a terrible decision.
I mean waiting a couple days for the trade to go through takes too long.

I see no reason people can't/shouldn't be able to agree to a trade and immediately, or very shortly, have it actually happen. None of this...oh the trade was agreed to on Friday or Saturday so it won't be usable until after the next week of games crap

Most of the leagues I'm in are commish veto power or auto process.

In my personal league I commish it's commish veto. However there are checks and balances to everything. If I veto a trade then either owner can lodge a protest for the veto and call for a league vote to overturn my veto. Then it goes up to a league vote and 7 of 9 owners not involved (so myself and the two owners don't count) can vote to overturn my veto and let the trade stand.

In 15 years I've only vetoed two trades, latest was 12 years ago. Both were of the #1 QB for kick returner type. Both times the owners admitted they were idiots and didn't protest. I believe they were just testing me to see how far they could push me and if I was serious in enforcing the rules. Since then, notta. I this happens early on and periodically in most leagues.. Being commish is like babysitting a bunch of 7 year olds who want the cookies they aren't supposed to have. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread