What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Some interesting reading (1 Viewer)

Family Matters

Footballguy
Enjoy. My comment in blue:

RB Willis McGahee wouldn’t reveal his weight, but he looked noticeably slimmer and more toned at the team’s June minicamp than he was at the end of last season. Word is McGahee believes that carrying less weight will bring back some of the explosiveness he lacked last season.

Maybe his TD totals will improve somehwhat. Of course this assume they'll get in the redzone in the first place. LOL

Sources close to the Raiders indicate that WR Jerry Porter isn’t the happiest camper with the way new head coach Art Shell has pushed for more discipline. As an example to previous issues, sources cite the sometimes tenuous relationship Porter had with Jon Gruden, who, like Shell, was more heavy-handed than Bill Callahan or Norv Turner. The Raiders have dangled Porter as trade bait in the past, so it wouldn’t come as a complete surprise for Oakland to shop him if things don’t go well early on.

This can't be good news. Keep an eye on this.

Sources say Broncos QB Jake Plummer has been sharp throughout summer workouts and appears to be as confident as ever despite Jay Cutler looking over his shoulder. Though the real bullets have yet to start flying, we’re hearing that Cutler looks like “the real deal” to this point.

Our sources in New Orleans tell us newly acquired WR Bethel Johnson and underachieving third-year WR Devery Henderson will compete in training camp for the No. 3 WR role behind Joe Horn and Donté Stallworth. We hear that the loser of the competition will likely be traded or released because the Saints are only going to keep one deep threat on the roster.

What's that you say? A WR in NO is under achieving? Tell me something new.

Jaguars RB Fred Taylor has somewhat smoothed over his disagreement with team management by keeping his word to participate in mandatory workouts. He chose to skip the offseason conditioning program to work out on his own in South Florida against the advice of head coach Jack Del Rio. Taylor has been injured in training camp two of the past three years, and the Jaguars wanted to keep a close watch on the training habits of the offensive cornerstone. In 2005, Taylor failed to rush for 800 yards for the first time in any season in which he had 10 starts, and he had just one carry of more than 20 yards.You have to admit, A Fred Taylor in shape is a bit of a scary thought. Now what do they do about it now that they have=all thos RB's?

Sources in Jacksonville say the 2006 season is extremely critical for QB Byron Leftwich, who’ll be in line for a new contract in the next two years. Leftwich has missed seven of the last 24 regular-season games because of injuries and could take the blame if the passing game falters without Jimmy Smith. Leftwich consistently missed the mark at a recent minicamp but said he wasn’t worried about his accuracy or timing with his new starting receivers, Matt Jones and Reggie Williams.Is anyone else worried about the WR's in Jax? I am.

Several players with ties to Lions offensive coordinator Mike Martz are moving their way up the depth chart. ORT Rex Tucker supplanted last year’s starter Kelly Butler in minicamp, and RB Arlen Harris, a solid receiver with good speed, has ascended to No. 2 behind starter Kevin Jones. A third ex-Ram, WR Mike Furrey, remains very much in the mix for a reserve WR spot. I hate to be the party poopper in Det but Kitna is in big trouble. Besides big Roy Williams and Pollard he has nothing to work with. The Oline is in trouble and that has been the issue all along. I don't see where they've addressed it yet. Some say don't sllep on Kitna. I say don't sleep on on Det. Avoid them as your No 1.

Don’t expect the Colts to be as reliant on the running game early this season as they were last year. Without Edgerrin James, offensive coordinator Tom Moore will anchor the team with a spread formation, using multiple receivers to protect Peyton Manning and create wide running lanes for RBs Joseph Addai and Dominic Rhodes. Watch for Addai to surprise this year.

The door isn’t wide open for Vikings RB Ciatrick Fason to steal work from Mewelde Moore as the backup to Chester Taylor, but Moore hasn’t slammed it shut to date. Still bothered by a wrist injury, Moore must answer the same question he faced from the Mike Tice regime: Can he stay healthy? He appeared to be coming around at the most recent minicamp. If Moore doesn’t stay healthy, Fason is one of several backs head coach Brad Childress said he’s confident will pick up the slack. Another year of disappointing performers in Minny RB's.

We’re told the Bears don’t expect much of a QB controversy between Rex Grossman and Brian Griese. Grossman has the full backing of the coaching staff, but his injury history necessitated the Griese signing. Greise could steal this job if he wanted too.

Word out of Atlanta is the Falcons no longer plan to trade backup RB T.J. Duckett before training camp begins. But we hear if rookie Jerious Norwood has an outstanding camp, he could take carries away from Duckett and even starter Warrick Dunn, and in the process, put Duckett back on the trading block. Anyone shocked at this? Stash this kid in your dynasty if you can. Make trades.

Massive TE Brandon Manumaleuna may have been acquired by the Chargers more for blocking purposes, but it’s his soft hands that have caught the eye of new QB Philip Rivers and the coaching staff.

Ravens QB Steve McNair showed consistent improvement throughout his first minicamp in Baltimore. The way we hear it, McNair and WR Derrick Mason picked up right where they left off from their time together in Tennessee, and their exceptional chemistry was apparent. That's a shocker.

Some Texans observers don’t share the team’s optimism about RB Domanick Davis being ready for the start of training camp as he recovers from the effects of knee surgery. Shhh. Don't tell Yudkin.

Of the Browns’ rookies, there’s a feeling rookie RB Jerome Harrison is most ready to contribute, likely on third downs. Shhhh. Don't tell Yudkin.

Expect the Browns to split out TE Kellen Winslow at wide receiver at times, particularly if Braylon Edwards misses the start of the season. I'm telling ya this is ground breaking stuff here. Who knew?

New Redskins offensive coordinator Al Saunders gushed about backup RB Ladell Betts in the team’s final minicamp, and Saunders pledges to find more ways to get both Betts and Clinton Portis on the field at the same time. Expect Betts to be used more as a receiver and keep his job as kick returner.

Eagles RB Correll Buckhalter, who is coming off his third season-ending knee injury in five years, likely won’t be ready for the start of camp and faces long odds to make the roster despite being a personal favorite of the coaching staff.

Glad these finally came out, been looking for them the last two weeks.

EDIT: Of course...now that Ive read this, Im disappointed. Old news and baseless speculation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Massive TE Brandon Manumaleuna may have been acquired by the Chargers more for blocking purposes, but it’s his soft hands that have caught the eye of new QB Philip Rivers and the coaching staff.

Some Texans observers don’t share the team’s optimism about RB Domanick Davis being ready for the start of training camp as he recovers from the effects of knee surgery.

New Redskins offensive coordinator Al Saunders gushed about backup RB Ladell Betts in the team’s final minicamp, and Saunders pledges to find more ways to get both Betts and Clinton Portis on the field at the same time. Expect Betts to be used more as a receiver and keep his job as kick returner.
1) Potential bad news for Gates? Could see a few hundred yard /couple TD dip in his numbers if they plan to actually use a 2nd TE, not to mention the added blocking duties of a double TE set. Mild news, worth noting for Gates owners IMO.2) Davis isn't supposed to back until a few weeks after. Notice that there's still not been a hint of information saying he could miss any regular season time. He'll be fine.

3) This is bad news to me as a hopeful Portis owner in a couple redrafts. I was under the impression Portis would become the full package under Saunders and put up at or around 500 yards receiving this year. That Betts is being worked out as a receiving back leads me to believe either a) they are going to very slowly work him more into the receiving game, or b) they don't think he can do it, so they're just giving that part to Betts. Certainly something to keep a real eye on. If Portis can grab those receiving yards, there's a real chance he can finish as a close #2RB behind Johnson, rather than the semi-distant fourth he's at now.

Expect the Browns to split out TE Kellen Winslow at wide receiver at times, particularly if Braylon Edwards misses the start of the season. I'm telling ya this is ground breaking stuff here. Who knew?
til Winslow lines up wide everyone will keep discreditting it. Apparently, Romeo saying it holds no weight. This is months old BTW

I seriously doubt Betts will be returning kicks. The Redskins signed Randle-El to return kicks.

Some Texans observers don’t share the team’s optimism about RB Domanick Davis being ready for the start of training camp as he recovers from the effects of knee surgery.

1) Potential bad news for Gates? Could see a few hundred yard /couple TD dip in his numbers if they plan to actually use a 2nd TE, not to mention the added blocking duties of a double TE set. Mild news, worth noting for Gates owners IMO.2) Davis isn't supposed to back until a few weeks after. Notice that there's still not been a hint of information saying he could miss any regular season time. He'll be fine.

3) This is bad news to me as a hopeful Portis owner in a couple redrafts. I was under the impression Portis would become the full package under Saunders and put up at or around 500 yards receiving this year. That Betts is being worked out as a receiving back leads me to believe either a) they are going to very slowly work him more into the receiving game, or b) they don't think he can do it, so they're just giving that part to Betts. Certainly something to keep a real eye on. If Portis can grab those receiving yards, there's a real chance he can finish as a close #2RB behind Johnson, rather than the semi-distant fourth he's at now.
Definitely not something to worry about. For Manu to hurt Gates, Gates would have to be the one left in blocking, while the 290lb Manu gets sent out into a route. The TE stats for SD are not a zero sum game. Assuming Manu gets 200 or so yards somehow, those yards would get absorbed from elsewhere.Plenty of other reasons to dislike Gates this year, but this isnt one of them. Having a great blocking TE opposite him frees him up to do more route running.

I seriously doubt Betts will be returning kicks. The Redskins signed Randle-El to return kicks.
Pretty sure they signed him to have him return Punts and run gadget plays with him all year. Could be wrong though.

Outside of Rivers falling on his face I wouldn't worry about Gates too much. The biggest problem for Gates would be his TD production falling. His reception total might actually increase which is good for PPR leagues. The biggest question is that we haven't seen Rivers so no one knows what to expect. Therefore the speculation will be just that. Speculation.The news on Davis continues to be bad. I haven't seen anything good. It's still early so we shall see. But it would be nice to hear something positive for a change.

Do not worry about Portis. He will get plenty of touches. They like Betts and they want to get him involved somehow and they're just looking for ways to do so. Portis will need to be relieved as well if he's going to get through 16 games and the playoffs, assumming they make the playoffs. He'll be fine.

Expect the Browns to split out TE Kellen Winslow at wide receiver at times, particularly if Braylon Edwards misses the start of the season.  I'm telling ya this is ground breaking stuff here. Who knew?
til Winslow lines up wide everyone will keep discreditting it. Apparently, Romeo saying it holds no weight. This is months old BTW
I was just be sacarcastic this morining Bri. I'm not sure KW will even make it throught a season without hurting his pride or something else. ;) Opps. I did it again didn't I. :P

But I thought he was a WR? Er a QB? :confused:

Definitely not something to worry about. For Manu to hurt Gates, Gates would have to be the one left in blocking, while the 290lb Manu gets sent out into a route. The TE stats for SD are not a zero sum game. Assuming Manu gets 200 or so yards somehow, those yards would get absorbed from elsewhere.Plenty of other reasons to dislike Gates this year, but this isnt one of them. Having a great blocking TE opposite him frees him up to do more route running.
:goodposting:

Several players with ties to Lions offensive coordinator Mike Martz are moving their way up the depth chart. ORT Rex Tucker supplanted last year’s starter Kelly Butler in minicamp, and RB Arlen Harris, a solid receiver with good speed, has ascended to No. 2 behind starter Kevin Jones. A third ex-Ram, WR Mike Furrey, remains very much in the mix for a reserve WR spot. I hate to be the party poopper in Det but Kitna is in big trouble. Besides big Roy Williams and Pollard he has nothing to work with. The Oline is in trouble and that has been the issue all along. I don't see where they've addressed it yet. Some say don't sllep on Kitna. I say don't sleep on on Det. Avoid them as your No 1.
Hmmm, yeah, ok, I'm gonna have to go ahead and, umm, disagree with you there. ;)

I think Mike Williams is a fine receiver, I think Martz will start to get the offensive timing down by the second half of the season and these guys could be rolling - and his use of the pass to the RB/FB will be huge for KJones in PPR leagues.

Unfortunately, I think it'll take some time. Folks who draft Lions won't start seeing real dividends until Martz gets the offense clicking as he likes - and clicking well enough for him to take advantage of his ability to see in defenses what the QB doesn't see.

Good thing Kitna is REAL good at taking direction and doesn't really WANT to freelance.

Just keep in mind that Martz' offenses require the QB to hit the receiver in stride with timing patterns. If those take longer to click than we would like, the Martz experiment will be over before it begins - watch for QB swapping. The Martz offense REALLY requires the QB to be confident - and yanking and replacing QBs is a great way to destroy their confidence - and destroy their rapport with the receivers.

Temper enthusiasm with reality, but I don't think Kitna's in "trouble."

Hmmm, yeah, ok, I'm gonna have to go ahead and, umm, disagree with you there. ;)

I think Mike Williams is a fine receiver, I think Martz will start to get the offensive timing down by the second half of the season and these guys could be rolling - and his use of the pass to the RB/FB will be huge for KJones in PPR leagues.

Unfortunately, I think it'll take some time. Folks who draft Lions won't start seeing real dividends until Martz gets the offense clicking as he likes - and clicking well enough for him to take advantage of his ability to see in defenses what the QB doesn't see.

Good thing Kitna is REAL good at taking direction and doesn't really WANT to freelance.

Just keep in mind that Martz' offenses require the QB to hit the receiver in stride with timing patterns. If those take longer to click than we would like, the Martz experiment will be over before it begins - watch for QB swapping. The Martz offense REALLY requires the QB to be confident - and yanking and replacing QBs is a great way to destroy their confidence - and destroy their rapport with the receivers.

And Kitna looked real good filling in for Palmer in that playoff game too. But putting that aside, I didn't see you address the issue with the Oline anywhere. Exactly how has that been addressed. Because while Martz is an excellent offensive mind, I'm not sure even he can overcome that problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sources in Jacksonville say the 2006 season is extremely critical for QB Byron Leftwich, who’ll be in line for a new contract in the next two years. Leftwich has missed seven of the last 24 regular-season games because of injuries and could take the blame if the passing game falters without Jimmy Smith. Leftwich consistently missed the mark at a recent minicamp but said he wasn’t worried about his accuracy or timing with his new starting receivers, Matt Jones and Reggie Williams.Is anyone else worried about the WR's in Jax? I am.
Worried? No, I'm not a fan of Jacksonville. I am a fan of Leftwich and Jones, and they'll be fine. Temper expectations, but this group will surprise you if you're "worried".

I didn't see you address the issue with the Oline anywhere. Exactly how has that been addressed. Because while Martz is an excellent offensive mind, I'm not sure even he can overcome that problem.
I'm not addressing it - I think the OL suxor, but that does not automatically mean trouble for Kitna.

Hmmm, yeah, ok, I'm gonna have to go ahead and, umm, disagree with you there.
Have you been watching Office Space again?"Um, I'm going to need you to go ahead and come in tomorrow so if you could be here around 9, that would be great. Umkay... Ahh, I'm going to have to go ahead and ask you to come in on Sunday, too. OK?""Yeah, um.. if you would just go ahead and come down to work on Saturday, that would be great."

I didn't see you address the issue with the Oline anywhere. Exactly how has that been addressed. Because while Martz is an excellent offensive mind, I'm not sure even he can overcome that problem.
I'm not addressing it - I think the OL suxor, but that does not automatically mean trouble for Kitna.
Just calrifying why I think there's a reason to be worried. They have some nice players that have taken a beating and I think the Oline doesn't get enough credit.

Hmmm, yeah, ok, I'm gonna have to go ahead and, umm, disagree with you there.
Have you been watching Office Space again?"Um, I'm going to need you to go ahead and come in tomorrow so if you could be here around 9, that would be great. Umkay... Ahh, I'm going to have to go ahead and ask you to come in on Sunday, too. OK?"

"Yeah, um.. if you would just go ahead and come down to work on Saturday, that would be great."
^--------------Yup.

Just calrifying why I think there's a reason to be worried. They have some nice players that have taken a beating and I think the Oline doesn't get enough credit.
granted - however, you also said that all they had on O was RWilliams and Pollard - KJones and Mike Williams don't suck and they fit Martz' offenses.

granted - however, you also said that all they had on O was RWilliams and Pollard - KJones and Mike Williams don't suck and they fit Martz' offenses.
K Jones may not not suck but he hasn't shown much yet. Probably more to do with the line more than him wouldn't you say? As for Mikey, not so sure. Over wieght and slow sound more like the line. But I digress and I'm just messin wit ya too. :P

And Kitna looked real good filling in for Palmer in that playoff game too. But putting that aside, I didn't see you address the issue with the Oline anywhere. Exactly how has that been addressed. Because while Martz is an excellent offensive mind, I'm not sure even he can overcome that problem.
Ross Verba and Rex Tucker. Not saying they addressed it well, but thats how they addressed it.

Some Texans observers don’t share the team’s optimism about RB Domanick Davis being ready for the start of training camp as he recovers from the effects of knee surgery. Shhh. Don't tell Yudkin.

Of the Browns’ rookies, there’s a feeling rookie RB Jerome Harrison is most ready to contribute, likely on third downs. Shhhh. Don't tell Yudkin.
OK . . . don't tell me. But why aren't you telling me??? Is there a point that I'm missing?

OK . . . don't tell me. But why aren't you telling me??? Is there a point that I'm missing?
I can't tell you. ;)

Ross Verba and Rex Tucker. Not saying they addressed it well, but thats how they addressed it.
Verba can be a decent obtion but he's also a head case. If he's on board meatally he can be an upgrade. It just depends I guess. He's got some serious issues. I so not know about Tucker. Not sure if his skills are on par to get the job done or not. In fact I don't if he can even handle Verba on a day in day out basis to co-exist. That could be problamatic in itself. So I saying this isn't exactly a team to get exicited about. Anyone telling you otherwise is selling you a pip dream my friend. That's alll I'm saying.

great linemen don't change teams often. Maybe due to money they have to but Verba and Tucker have gotta be considerred journeymen. IIRC Verba had egg on his face after sitting out a long time insisting on big $ and he never got it. They're OK, just OK, IMO. Tucker used to get his QB killed but he's improved upon that.

With Fabini in FA and Flozell returning from injury, the Cowboys have last year's starters sitting on their "bench". A trade with them wouldn't be a bad idea.

Users who are viewing this thread