What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Common Core Education Standards (1 Viewer)

vnel8tn

Footballguy
[SIZE=16pt]Our school district has recently implemented the Common Core Standards also known as, College and Career Ready Standards. What are the political motives and the agenda of the investors who stand to gain from it? Is anyone else concerned about potential infringement of our parental rights concerning the privacy of our children? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]Here is a link that provides one point of view (Catholic): http://www.pghcatholicsagainstcommoncore.com/action-plan[/SIZE]

Non-Catholic points of view (but still 'con'):

http://kansansagainstcommoncore.com

http://truthinamericaneducation.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Not surprised at the identity of the first responder. How you doin' Tim? I've been away (actually, just trying to keep up reading) for a while, so don't think me rude for my lack of contributions.

Not surprised at the identity of the first responder. How you doin' Tim? I've been away (actually, just trying to keep up reading) for a while, so don't think me rude for my lack of contributions.
I'm doing fine, thanks.

I'm not necessarily a fan of top-down educational tools (though I have to admit it does concern me if certain states teach that evolution doesn't exist or something like that.) But I'm not sure what exactly your fear is here. The link you posted seems to feel that somehow this is anti-religious in nature, but doesn't specify how. I thought it mainly had to do with math and science requirements.

I like the Maine governor's objection to it... it should be a state's rights thing.

AN ORDER REGARDING PROTECTION OF LOCAL EDUCATION CONTROL AND STUDENT PRIVACY RIGHTS

WHEREAS, Under Maine law, the state’s ultimate goal with regard to its schools is that they will “enable today’s students to gain the knowledge and skills necessary for postsecondary education, career, citizenship and military”; and

WHEREAS, rigorous state standards detailing expected learning outcomes for students are essential if the state is to meet that goal; and

WHEREAS, The adoption of state standards for learning outcomes should be done in an open, transparent way that includes ample opportunity for public review and comment, and

WHEREAS, The federal government has no constitutional authority to set learning standards in Maine or any other state, nor determine how children in the State of Maine or any other state will be educated; and

WHEREAS, The Maine Constitution specifically grants to local governments responsibility for “the support and maintenance of public schools”; and

WHEREAS, It is therefore the right of local school units, not the state, to develop and or adopt curricula and instructional approaches consistent with state learning standards; and

WHEREAS, The protection of student and family privacy is a fundamental right of all Maine people;

NOW, THEREFORE, I, Paul R. LePage, Governor of the State of Maine, hereby order as follows:

That the Department of Education shall not adopt any educational standards, curricula or instructional approaches that may be mandated by the federal government.

That the Department of Education shall not apply for any federal grant that requires, as a condition of application, the adoption of any federally-developed standards, curricula or instructional approaches.

That, consistent with state statute, the Department of Education may provide guidance and technical assistance to schools, but may not require the adoption of specific curricula or instructional approaches.

That any amending of Maine’s Learning Results standards must be done through a transparent public rulemaking process that allows Maine people ample time and opportunity to review proposed changes and provide feedback. Specifically, the Department of Education shall ensure that any amendment to the Learning Results be posted for public review and comment for at least 60 days. Any comments received during this notice period shall be made public prior to final adoption of any changes.

That the collection of student data by school districts and the state Department of Education must be done in a manner consistent with state and federal laws intended to protect student privacy. No personally identifiable data on students and/or their families’ religion, political party affiliation, psychometric data, biometric information, and/or voting history shall be collected, tracked, housed, reported or shared with the federal government, nor provided to private vendors for the purposes of marketing or business development.

I've read your articles. If you didn't already have it, you now have kook status. Get em Todd.

timschochet said:
It's setting up national standards for math and English. What exactly are you afraid of here?
Who wants Big Brother watching our children? It is an invasion of privacy! From my understanding, the results of the state assessment test given at the end of the school year, along with student's personal information, can be shared with any third party that the government deems worthy (or "authorized"). There is no implied or expected guarantee of privacy.

If this doesn't bother you during the current administration, would it bother you if the other side was in control?

Another link:

http://epic.org/apa/ferpa/

Not sure there is a compelling reason for education to be handled by the federal government.
You can say that again. 100% agreed.
Except for the whole evolution thing. I don't want public school kids in Kwntucky taught that the Earth is 6000 years old. I don't want kids in Idaho taught that homosexuality is evil. It seems to me there needs to be SOME standard, however minimal.

Not sure there is a compelling reason for education to be handled by the federal government.
Except for the whole evolution thing. I don't want public school kids in Kwntucky taught that the Earth is 6000 years old. I don't want kids in Idaho taught that homosexuality is evil. It seems to me there needs to be SOME standard, however minimal.
KWNED!

Is the point to teach math and english or impart your views on others?

Can anyone in here name a single specific thing in the Common Core curriculum that they oppose? Not "we don't want the Feds in our local classroom." Something specific.

Can anyone in here name a single specific thing in the Common Core curriculum that they oppose? Not "we don't want the Feds in our local classroom." Something specific.
I'm pretty pissed about this one:

Graph proportional relationships, interpreting the unit rate as the slope of the graph. Compare two different proportional relationships represented in different ways. For example, compare a distance-time graph to a distance-time equation to determine which of two moving objects has greater speed.

I'm pretty pissed about this one:Graph proportional relationships, interpreting the unit rate as the slope of the graph. Compare two different proportional relationships represented in different ways. For example, compare a distance-time graph to a distance-time equation to determine which of two moving objects has greater speed.
:lmao:

Sounds dangerous.

I'm pretty pissed about this one:

Graph proportional relationships, interpreting the unit rate as the slope of the graph. Compare two different proportional relationships represented in different ways. For example, compare a distance-time graph to a distance-time equation to determine which of two moving objects has greater speed.
4?

Now this is :bs:

Conduct short as well as more sustained research projects to answer a question (including a self-generated question) or solve a problem; narrow or broaden the inquiry when appropriate; synthesize multiple sources on the subject, demonstrating understanding of the subject under investigation.

Now this is :bs:

Conduct short as well as more sustained research projects to answer a question (including a self-generated question) or solve a problem; narrow or broaden the inquiry when appropriate; synthesize multiple sources on the subject, demonstrating understanding of the subject under investigation.

This is unacceptable:

Present information, findings, and supporting evidence, conveying a clear and distinct perspective, such that listeners can follow the line of reasoning, alternative or opposing perspectives are addressed, and the organization, development, substance, and style are appropriate to purpose, audience, and a range of formal and informal tasks.

Good god. I was hoping there would be one "place" where I didn't have to hear about Common Fing Core.

Thanks, Jerk.
I guess you are welcome, Pete...

Where else has it been occupying your listening skills?
I had never even heard of it before you posted this, fwiw.

That said, I can understand the need for some minimum standards of education. Here in MA, we have the MCAS, which is given from 3rd grade through high school... and you have to pass to get a diploma. At first I didn't like it... teachers absolutely teach "to the MCAS", because it is also used as a tool to evaluate their effectiveness. But you know what? My son is a special needs kid... he lives with me and has an out-of-district placement on an IEP... no problems here... but he has two sisters that still live with their mother in a school district that had absolutely no issues whatsoever with my son's learning disabilities (pre-divorce)... nope... he's perfectly fine... no learning problems (before I got custody and moved to Lexington, which promptly identified serious learning deficiencies and did the right thing)... just pass him along.

Anyhow... they're telling me the same crap about my daughters... no problems... one is on an IEP, another on a "504" plan, which is like IEP-light. And the teachers all tell me they're doing just swimmingly.

So tell me, then.. if they're doing so well, why do their MCAS scores #### the bed? I mean really... depending on the area, they're in the 6th to 20th percentile on the MCAS... please reconcile the two, teacher. :shrug:

That said, to me, this is clearly a states' rights issue.. the federal government trying to stick its nose into local education is just beyond the pale. Let the local schools determine their standards; let the states set their standards... but let's not go one step further towards saying the federal government rules on everything, including kids' education. Leave this one to the states. :2cents:

Good god. I was hoping there would be one "place" where I didn't have to hear about Common Fing Core.

Thanks, Jerk.
:goodposting:
Got you too, Mario? You are welcome...God bless!
Allah is there for you.
Or Budda...since you wanna go there...
Or, Ra. Or the Flying Spaghetti Monster. It's all good.
:devil:

Thanks, Jerk.
:goodposting:
Got you too, Mario? You are welcome...God bless!
Allah is there for you.
Or Budda...since you wanna go there...
Or, Ra. Or the Flying Spaghetti Monster. It's all good.
You're making a really good case why state standards might not be good enough.

"Tell me something you don't like about this, besides your main point."

I graduated with a BS in Secondary Education and the NCTM (dep't of ed's math wing basically) was pushing math standards when I went to school 20 years ago.

Sounds like they're giving up with the cajoling and moving into arm twisting.

By all means, lets not look to change something that is working as well as our current education system.

My wife actually has started a consulting career working for the local DOE presenting to school districts about the common core. She really likes it but she has concerns because so many teachers are against it (with very little knowledge about it) and she believes a lot of teachers will fail to implement it properly. I think the common core is a positive step for education but there are so many other problems with our current education system that in order for it to be really successful there has to be a ton of other changes.

I'll take that as a "no."
How about, the Constitution specifically prohibits the federal government from involving itself in education?
Really? Is Brown vs. Board of Education aware of this?

How about, the Constitution specifically prohibits the federal government from involving itself in education?
I wonder if these Common Core standards will teach students the meaning of the word "specifically."

The Constitution does not in any way "specifically" prohibit federal involvement in education.

There is a difference between civil rights/discrimination and curriculum.

I am opposed to the Common Core. When Michigan put in very specific graduation requirements for the state, I was opposed to that as well. The more that can be kept local, the better. Before Michigan put in their state requirements, the school had the ability to tailor a curriculum for each student based on their strengths, weaknesses, likes, and goals. However, with the new state requirements, we essentially have to put all students on the same curriculum. Nationalizing the standards and the testing is only going to make the situation worse. There is no way a parent, student, teacher, or administrator can have interaction or input with the forces driving their education.

Also, I am pretty sure these test scores are going to be a nightmare. All the tests are on the computer. We don't have enough computers for every kid to take the tests. The "hypemen" for Common Core keep saying not to worry and that we will get what we need. Doubtful. This means to do the testing, we are going to have to do it in blocks which means we will lose a week or more every time we test. There are talks about testing anywhere from 2x a year to monthly. This is costing states billions of dollars to reinvent their curriculum. All while many schools are physically falling apart, can't pay teachers, have a lack of technology, etc.

Here is a summarized version of a 7th grade math question:

You have been hired to help remodel a bedroom. Here are the paint color options that the couple like. It lists a few different pains and their price per gallon. It then lists it takes x gallons per square feet and tells you the dimensions of all the bedroom walls. Students must calculate how many cans of paint to buy and how much it will cost. (They have to know on their own that walls require 2 coats of paint and to subtract out the area of the windows).

Then, there is a list of the flooring the couple likes. Students will decide which flooring, how much they need, and calculate cost based on prices.

Then there are multiple furniture options they have to choose from based on price and size. The couple has an heirloom rug which must be in the space so that has to be factored in while laying out the furniture.

Finally, students must calculate a price that they will charge the couple based on the cost of the supplies and the amount of work they have done.

The problem with this question is that it fails to acknowledge there are other questions that need to be answered long before we get to an acceptance of a nation wide set of standards.

Who is the primary beneficiary? Is it the student? Is it society in general? Is it the business world? What is considered a successfully educated student? Is it a well rounded liberal education? Is it a math score?

I submit to you there are many valid opposing answers to all these questions. I think rational people in different parts of the country can share opposing viewpoints and determine for their own community what an education should look like. The cost of liberty means allowing others to believe and act differently than you would given the same circumstances.

Does the Constitution make that distinction?

None of you guys have come close to answering Buckfast's question. He wants to hear a specific complaint. Not a generalized "states and local communities run things better than the federal government" argument. Not a "this is an infringement on our liberties!" argument (which sounds pretty fringe in this instance, BTW.)

The federal government, and more specifically the Department of Education, has been setting rules and guidelines for decades now. We can always have a larger debate about whether or not this is good or appropriate, but the fact is that there is nothing new here. So that means that for Common Core to be especially objectionable, there should be something specific about it that you guys take issue with- hence Buckfast's question, which was perfectly reasonable. But so far, nobody has been able to answer it.

Does the Constitution make that distinction?
I am not an expert, but I think so.

http://www.departments.bucknell.edu/edu/ed370/federal.html

None of you guys have come close to answering Buckfast's question. He wants to hear a specific complaint. Not a generalized "states and local communities run things better than the federal government" argument. Not a "this is an infringement on our liberties!" argument (which sounds pretty fringe in this instance, BTW.)

The federal government, and more specifically the Department of Education, has been setting rules and guidelines for decades now. We can always have a larger debate about whether or not this is good or appropriate, but the fact is that there is nothing new here. So that means that for Common Core to be especially objectionable, there should be something specific about it that you guys take issue with- hence Buckfast's question, which was perfectly reasonable. But so far, nobody has been able to answer it.
Has anyone provided a reason why it is superior to the current status quo?

The billions of dollars it will cost.
Billions?

According to Wiki, much of the cost of this is being funded by the Bill and Melissa Gates Foundation. But I don't know what the total expenditure is. Do you? Where do you get "billions"?

Users who are viewing this thread