What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"No Refusal" checkpoints going on in Ohio tonight (1 Viewer)

tom22406

Footballguy
Thought this might spark some conversation.

‘No refusal’ checkpoint in Clark County tonight

SPRINGFIELD —

The Clark County OVI Task Force will conduct the county’s first “no refusal” OVI checkpoint Friday.

The checkpoint, operated by law enforcement officers from the Clark County Sheriff’s Office, Ohio State Highway Patrol, Springfield Police and other local departments will be at the intersection of U.S. 40 and 68.

“No refusal” means that a magistrate and nurse are readily available to sign and carry out a search warrant compelling a blood test from suspected drunk drivers.

If an individual is suspected of being impaired they are pulled out of the line of cars for a field sobriety test, sheriff’s Lt. Dustin White said. Depending on the outcome of that test officers can also administer a breathalyzer test or have a phlebotomist draw blood inside a mobile command center. Drivers always have the right to refuse any of those tests, but an on site prosecutor can seek a search warrant which will then be reviewed by a magistrate.

If the magistrate feels there is probable cause and signs the warrant, the test can be carried out on site.

“It doesn’t mean we’re not going to take breath tests,” OSHP Lt. Brian Aller said in advance of the checkpoint Friday. “We’re not going to take blood from every person we suspect to be impaired.” It’s simply an option that they are publicizing to alert the public and hopefully deter drunk driving.”

The option to get a search warrant for an individual’s blood is one that is always open to law enforcement, Aller said.

The state patrol obtained a search warrant to draw the blood of Lewis Chambers earlier this month, suspected of being under the influence of alcohol when his Ford Explorer slammed into the back of a Clark County family’s car, killing a 12-year-old girl and her 65-year-old grandfather on Dayton-Springfield Road.

This checkpoint is only different from normal enforcement because the magistrate and nurse will be at the scene in anticipation of a warrant being sought, Aller said.

Montgomery County’s OVI Task Force has conducted similar checkpoints periodically for the past several years and Clark County modeled their protocols on Dayton’s approach. They were scheduled to conduct a “no refusal” OVI checkpoint on Wayne Ave. in Dayton Friday evening as well.

During three no refusal checkpoints conducted in Dayton over the summer no one refused field sobriety or breath tests, said Montgomery County OVI Task Force Coordinator Carlene Maynes.

Out of 293 cars the task force checked on July 19 on N. Gettysburg Road in Dayton only two drivers were pulled aside for field sobriety tests. Neither was found to be impaired and there were no arrests. At a checkpoint in Centerville last month there was only one OVI arrest out of 888 drivers contacted. That individual submitted to a breathalyzer test willingly.

“Rarely does it ever get to that point that the judge has to sign the warrant to compel their blood sample,” Maynes said.

http://www.springfieldnewssun.com/news/news/crime-law/no-refusal-checkpoint-in-clark-county-tonight/nhrKx/

Texas doing this Saturday night

Starting Saturday Night, Oct. 25, law enforcement in western Montgomery County will begin increased DWI/NO REFUSAL enforcement looking for intoxicated drivers on Montgomery County roadways.

This increased enforcement is in cooperation with the ongoing Renaissance Festival and other activities occurring in the western part of Montgomery County.

Advertisement
This Saturday night, the Montgomery County Sherriff’s Office BAT (Breath Alcohol Testing) Van along with the Montgomery County District Attorney’s Office DART (District Attorney Response Team) Van will be stationed at strategic locations in and around the Magnolia, Texas, area to assist law enforcement with arresting intoxicated drivers and securing blood samples as evidence in these cases.

Every year, we see a drastic increase in roadway traffic during the Renaissance Festival. These No Refusal operations are meant to ensure the safety of the public on our roadways during this time and to minimize Driving While Intoxicated incidents which can lead to crashes and fatalities.

The operation will use the mobile breath alcohol testing units (the BAT Van), nurses, prosecutors, and investigators from the Montgomery County District Attorney’s Office, and police officers from the county’s various law enforcement agencies.

This is in combination with what the Texas Renaissance Festival already does to help combat DWI and related traffic issues: purchasing a thermal camera for use by law enforcement to help monitor traffic flow; hiring off-duty law enforcement officers to direct traffic at specific point-control areas, expanding camping facilities, partnering with a taxi service and providing shuttles to local hotels and signage to offer alternatives to Driving While Intoxicated.

During this time, judges will be available to review search warrants for the existence of probable cause for the search of a person blood. Any person suspected of DWI who refuses to provide a breath sample will be subject to their blood being taken by trained nurses if a judge agrees that the arrest was proper and lawful.

Drivers who are suspected of being impaired will be the targets of this initiative. This program ensures that scientific evidence will be available for all cases. The prosecution will receive strong evidence of guilt or innocence as a result of this program.

The participating agencies include: The Montgomery County Sheriff’s Department, the Department of Public Safety in Montgomery County and surrounding counties, the Magnolia Police Department, and the Tomball Police Department.

“The ultimate goal here is public safety,” Vehicular Crimes Division Chief Tyler Dunman said. We want people to enjoy the activities that the Renaissance Festival has to offer, but we want them to do it responsibly. Designate a sober driver and plan ahead when you go out so you are not left with the option to drive after you have had too much to drink. If everyone gets home safely, this No Refusal operation will be a success.”

http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/humble/news/no-refusal-starts-this-weekend-for-renaissance-festival/article_dea1bbae-0668-56fe-9419-ae6b694e53e3.html

You can have my big pop when you pry it from my cold, overweight hands, but this doesn't bother me. Driving on public roads is a privilege, not a right.

These checkpoints are just money grabs anyways. If law enforcement agencies and/or citizens were truly concerned about public safety there would be resources & punishment devoted to the real danger on the road.

A cop pulled his gun on my wife and I because I was driving a 96 Deville slammed out on 22's. Once he saw that we were white, he smiled and started laughing. He apologized and let us go. True story.

The way to build support for these police checkpoints is to say they're checking for ebola. Public opinion's easy to manipulate.

Out of 293 cars the task force checked on July 19 on N. Gettysburg Road in Dayton only two drivers were pulled aside for field sobriety tests. Neither was found to be impaired and there were no arrests. At a checkpoint in Centerville last month there was only one OVI arrest out of 888 drivers contacted. That individual submitted to a breathalyzer test willingly.
Sounds like its a waste of time and resources.

Chicago police just announced they will start performing random bomb testing at CTA stations and if you refuse they will prevent you from getting on the train. So one unit will go out every day to a random station to pick random people to test. There are 145 stations. Oooooooooooooooooooooooh, that'll really throw off the terrorists. It boggles the mind.

In Australia, you can get pulled over for absolutely no reason for a random breathalyzer. It was very odd the first time it happened to me on a Wednesday afternoon around 2PM.

Chicago police just announced they will start performing random bomb testing at CTA stations and if you refuse they will prevent you from getting on the train. So one unit will go out every day to a random station to pick random people to test. There are 145 stations. Oooooooooooooooooooooooh, that'll really throw off the terrorists. It boggles the mind.
:lol:

What a complete waste of resources.

What are they really trying to do? Just search for anything? Put on a show? :shuked:

What are they really trying to do? Just search for anything? Put on a show? :shuked:
Play with their new machine they bought with federal funds.

Play with their new machine they bought with federal funds.
Well, in the CPD's defense, crime is so low in the city that they have time and resources to do stuff like this. :mellow:

Hopefully they get Catcher In the Rye girl before she acts.

It'd be pretty funny to drive up to one of these checkpoints with a trash can of yellow water and 100 beer bottles, open the door and dump them all out like that one commercial. I bet the police would think it's real funny too.

I'm not a fan of this, but it's real simple.

1. Don't drink and drive.

See how easy that is? If you drinking knuckleheads don't do that and people stop dying because of it, I'd bet they go away.

See how easy that is? If you drinking knuckleheads don't do that and people stop dying because of it, I'd bet they go away.
Those bastards. How dare they try and prevent drunk drivers from killing innocent people.
Just because the ultimate goal is very noble and worthwhile does not mean that means to that goal are acceptable/constitutional.

Those bastards. How dare they try and prevent drunk drivers from killing innocent people.
Just because the ultimate goal is very noble and worthwhile does not mean that means to that goal are acceptable/constitutional.
So where did I say that it was acceptable?

If only our Founding Fathers had thought about this problem and created a provision against it in our Constitution.

I generally am on the side of the police but I do not like to be stopped for no reason. If the police would randomly knock on your door and search your home for stolen property would that be acceptable? Just don't steal stuff and you will be fine? I would be for installing cameras on roads to check for people viewing their phones while driving. My wife and I were almost killed a few weeks ago when a young lady veered into our lane while looking down at her phone. People like her get a pass though but people who go out to dinner and have a beer with their steak are made to feel like criminals.

At a checkpoint in Centerville last month there was only one OVI arrest out of 888 drivers contacted.
So treat 887 law-abiding citizens like criminals so they can catch one drunk driver.

Let's call this what it is - lazy policing.

cstu said:
If only our Founding Fathers had thought about this problem and created a provision against it in our Constitution.
Our founding fathers thought horse drawn carriages were neato. They might be out of their depth, here.

cstu said:
At a checkpoint in Centerville last month there was only one OVI arrest out of 888 drivers contacted.
So treat 887 law-abiding citizens like criminals so they can catch one drunk driver.

Let's call this what it is - lazy policing.
Gotta wonder how many legit DUIs they would have had if they had that many patrols just driving around.

Tom Servo said:

I'm more worried about seniors who drive than drunks who drive.

Cliff Clavin said:
Hey, I know. We can just ban drinking. That'll stop all of the drunk driving!

Users who are viewing this thread