What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2013 Coaches and Schemes Thread (1 Viewer)

Jene Bramel

Footballguy
2012 thread can be found here.

Current situation in the codebox below. We'll update and speculate whenever any major news hits.

Code:
BASE DEFENSE AFC EastBUF	DOUG MARRONE / MIKE PETTINE          Multiple, lean 4-3MIA	Joe Philbin / Kevin Coyle            4-3NE	Bill Belichick / Matt Patricia       Multiple, lean 4-3NYJ	Rex Ryan / DENNIS THURMAN            Multiple, lean 3-4AFC NorthBAL	John Harbaugh / Dean Pees            Multiple, lean 3-4CIN	Marvin Lewis / Mike Zimmer           4-3	CLE	ROB CHUDZINSKI / RAY HORTON          3-4PIT	Mike Tomlin / **** LeBeau            3-4AFC SouthHOU	Gary Kubiak / Wade Phillips          3-4IND	Chuck Pagano / Greg Manusky          3-4JAX	GUS BRADLEY / BOB BABICH             4-3TEN	Mike Munchak / Jerry Gray            4-3AFC WestDEN	John Fox / Jack Del Rio              4-3KC	ANDY REID / BOB SUTTON               3-4OAK	Dennis Allen / Jason Tarver          4-3SD      MIKE MCCOY / John Pagano             3-4NFC EastDAL	Jason Garrett / MONTE KIFFIN         4-3NYG	Tom Coughlin / Perry Fewell          4-3PHI	CHIP KELLY / BILLY DAVIS             3-4WAS	Mike Shanahan / Jim Haslett          3-4NFC NorthCHI	MARC TRESTMAN / MEL TUCKER           4-3DET	Jim Schwartz / Gunther Cunningham    4-3GB	Mike McCarthy / Dom Capers           3-4MIN	Leslie Frazier / Alan Williams       4-3NFC SouthATL	Mike Smith / Mike Nolan              4-3CAR	Ron Rivera / Sean McDermott          4-3NO	Sean Payton / ROB RYAN               3-4, multiple TAM	Greg Schiano / Bill Sheridan         4-3NFC WestARI	BRUCE ARIANS / TODD BOWLES           3-4STL	Jeff Fisher / TIM WALTON             4-3SF	Jim Harbaugh / Vic Fangio            3-4SEA	Pete Carroll / DAN QUINN             4-3**Changes in CAPS

Last edited by a moderator:
It's Black Monday and it's shaping up to be another year of significant change.

Buffalo, Cleveland, Kansas City, San Diego, Philadelphia, Chicago and Arizona have already made coaching changes. Moves in Carolina, Jacksonville, Tennessee and Detroit are still possible. Mike Zimmer, Jack Del Rio, Mike Pettine, Mel Tucker, Ray Horton and other coordinators could be on the move to a head coaching job, other teams or college gigs.

Should be fun to see what the turnover brings. Last year, a mini-shift toward an aggressive 4-3 and multiple front defenses didn't quite pan out as expected as most new coordinators stuck with one front -- and sometimes not the one expected -- predominantly.

:excited:

Buffalo hires former Jets DC Mike Pettine, who has spent his whole career coaching with the Ravens or Jets. Scheme wise, he uses multiple packages last year, but base 3-4. He does blitz quite a bit, so hopefully he can figure out how to utilize Mario Williams and not kill any potential IDP value. It will also be interesting to see what FA LBs are brought in to fill in the roles.

Buffalo hires former Jets DC Mike Pettine, who has spent his whole career coaching with the Ravens or Jets. Scheme wise, he uses multiple packages last year, but base 3-4. He does blitz quite a bit, so hopefully he can figure out how to utilize Mario Williams and not kill any potential IDP value. It will also be interesting to see what FA LBs are brought in to fill in the roles.
Does this bump Kelvin Shepperd? Maybe now he has a quicker route to a 3-down role instead of waiting for Barnett to move on.

In the Bills offseason thread Pettine is quoted saying that he will be multifront tailored to his players strengths, starting with the DL. Would guess that means mostly 4-3, obviously they could bring in new FAs and draft more towards 3-4 (but would that make sense?)

A few major pieces of news...

Dallas hired Monte Kiffin as defensive coordinator.

All indications are that Kiffin was hired with the knowledge that he'd morph the team toward a 4-3. Kiffin is the father of the Tampa-2 scheme, but it's not a given that he'll play Tampa-2 concepts with the back seven exclusively. It's possible we may see other coverage concepts, with Kiffin sticking to a game plan of getting pressure from the front four. It's also possible we may see Kiffin play a mix of Tampa-2 and other, more aggressive front seven concepts -- as Lovie Smith has over the years despite coming from the Kiffin coaching tree.

I expect to see Sean Lee at MLB and Bruce Carter at WLB, but it's possible Kiffin could switch those roles. I'm worried about DeMarcus Ware's durability as a full time defensive end and I'm surprised the consensus has been quick to rule out Anthony Spencer, who'd be a decent fit at LDE. That may be because Spencer will have opportunities elsewhere. Jay Ratliff (among others) will be interesting upside picks at the 3-technique DT spot. The secondary isn't a great fit, but Brandon Carr has played two deep concepts in the past and Claiborne won't be entirely miscast. The safety group will need to be addressed, however.

Buffalo hired Mike Pettine as defensive coordinator.

There's been a lot of talk about Pettine as a 3-4 coach, but he's always been a multiple front leaning coach. His lectures show him favoring one gap concepts regardless of front. We may see Mario Williams standing up at times alongside two ILBs, but expect Pettine to play to his current players' strengths.

Kansas City may hire Bob Sutton as defensive coordinator.

Sutton has been a 3-4 coach in his previous NFL stops as coordinator and position coach. Romeo Crennel runs a contemporary 3-4, but a relatively conservative version compared to many. There's not likely to be much philosophical change here.

There are reports that Rob Chudzinski wants an aggressive 3-4 as his base defense in Cleveland.

Read that as confirmation that the Browns will approach 1-gap 3-4 coaches in the mold of Wade Phillips, Mike Nolan, etc. That's not great news for Jabaal Sheard and it'll be interesting to see how the Browns approach the ILB roles and responsibilities. D'Qwell Jackson isn't a great fit as a SILB and James-Michael Johnson might struggle in either ILB role. More here when the defensive coordinator move is announced.

Does this bump Kelvin Shepperd? Maybe now he has a quicker route to a 3-down role instead of waiting for Barnett to move on.
Tough to see Sheppard growing into a full-down role when he's shown no cover skills to this point. He's not even a strong run defender as he just looks slow out there most of the time. I hope/expect the Bills to come out of the first 3 rounds of the draft with a potential upgrade at MLB this year. Other than QB, it's probably their biggest need.

There are reports that Rob Chudzinski wants an aggressive 3-4 as his base defense in Cleveland.

Read that as confirmation that the Browns will approach 1-gap 3-4 coaches in the mold of Wade Phillips, Mike Nolan, etc. That's not great news for Jabaal Sheard and it'll be interesting to see how the Browns approach the ILB roles and responsibilities. D'Qwell Jackson isn't a great fit as a SILB and James-Michael Johnson might struggle in either ILB role. More here when the defensive coordinator move is announced.

Not good news for me as I have Sheard and Rubin. Can you see Clevland going for an linebacker in the first round of the draft?

Tough to see Sheppard growing into a full-down role when he's shown no cover skills to this point. He's not even a strong run defender as he just looks slow out there most of the time. I hope/expect the Bills to come out of the first 3 rounds of the draft with a potential upgrade at MLB this year. Other than QB, it's probably their biggest need.
this always gets me and its just bad management; you buy the best defensive player in the game for a 100M and a yr later you bring a DC who won't use him correctly. What was the point of bringing in super mario?

this always gets me and its just bad management; you buy the best defensive player in the game for a 100M and a yr later you bring a DC who won't use him correctly. What was the point of bringing in super mario?
huh? I was talking about Kelvin Sheppard at MLB. What does Mario Williams have to do with anything I wrote?I don't think the Bills are moving to a 3-4 base anyway. Pettine said he will adapt his scheme to the strengths of the players he has.

Not good news for me as I have Sheard and Rubin. Can you see Clevland going for an linebacker in the first round of the draft?
Browns new Defensive Coordinator:Defensive Coordinator -- Ray Horton (Replacing **** Jauron) -- The Browns should be excited by the acquisition of Ray Horton, who learned under **** LeBeau in Pittsburgh before coordinating an attacking 3-4 defense in Arizona the last two years

Their are questions if Sheard can make the move from 4-3 DOWN DE to 3-4 UP OLB so you have reason to worry but new HC Rob Chudzinski (forever will go by the much easier nickname CHUD) has stated that its likely that we will see a 4-3/3-4 'hybrid' since he has stated that base defenses typically do switch up between different defenses.

Rubin will still be on the field a ton so you don't have to worry about him.

And the question of whether or not the Browns will target a linebacker with their top pick? Very likely linebacker but I certainly wouldn't lock that in at this early stage or rule out anything.

Oh and FWIW Sheard has already been asked if he can make the switch should the Browns hire a DC who wants to switch to the 4-3 and he said he definitely can.

Add a switch to a 3-4 would obviously mean a hit to D'Qwell Jackson's value.

Browns new Defensive Coordinator:Defensive Coordinator -- Ray Horton (Replacing **** Jauron) -- The Browns should be excited by the acquisition of Ray Horton, who learned under **** LeBeau in Pittsburgh before coordinating an attacking 3-4 defense in Arizona the last two years

Their are questions if Sheard can make the move from 4-3 DOWN DE to 3-4 UP OLB so you have reason to worry but new HC Rob Chudzinski (forever will go by the much easier nickname CHUD) has stated that its likely that we will see a 4-3/3-4 'hybrid' since he has stated that base defenses typically do switch up between different defenses.

And the question of whether or not the Browns will target a linebacker with their top pick? Very likely linebacker but I certainly wouldn't lock that in at this early stage or rule out anything.

Oh and FWIW Sheard has already been asked if he can make the switch should the Browns hire a DC who wants to switch to the 4-3 and he said he definitely can.

Is it wrong to assume that DQ and JMJ are slated to be the starting ILB's? If so who will be in the more productive role?

Is it wrong to assume that DQ and JMJ are slated to be the starting ILB's? If so who will be in the more productive role?
Honestly it is next to impossible to make any speculation since Horton hasn't stated his base defensive scheme yet let alone have the Browns had their draft or have we had even a projected depth chart before we could even begin to imagine the stat sheet between D'Q and whoever the other inside LBer would be.Having said that here is a tweet from Bret Sobleski where he speculates on who the starters will be. Bret, aka SOBO, has written for ESPN on the college side and is a big Browns fan and also writes for a scouting site.

Brent Sobleski‏@brentsobleski

Expect Horton 34 to look like: DE - Taylor, NT - Rubin, DE - Winn/Rucker, Jack - Sheard, Buck - JMJ - Mike - DQwell, Will - No. 6 draft pick

He speculates that James-Michael Johnson will start at the 'buck' position and that D'Q will man the 'mike' position. I would pose a question to Jene or the Guru as to which of those two positions typically racks up better IDP stats but I would guess it is the 'MIKE' that D'Qwell Jackson will man however any move from his current MLB position in a #### Juron 4-3 to a Ray Horton 'MIKE' in a 3-4 will mean an IDP hit.

Also right now the 'BUCK' position is far from locked up by JMJ IMHO. LJ Fort is an ILB and he emerged from out of nowhere to get PT last year. Craig Robertson, not JMJ took over for Scott Fujita at the begining of last year at the 'SAM' (strong side outside linebacker) and was very good in coverage. Chris Gocong played 'WILL' (weakside OLB) before he got hurt but filled in for Fujita at 'SAM' and he has decent size and strength to play any LB postion IMHO so he might be a contender at 'BUCK'.

Also just throwing this out for concerns over Sheard making the move to 3-4 OLB. Another tweet from SOBO.

Been saying same for awhile now @AaronAloysius After watching some tape this week, I'm convinced Jabaal Sheard will thrive as a 3-4 OLB

Honestly it is next to impossible to make any speculation since Horton hasn't stated his base defensive scheme yet let alone have the Browns had their draft or have we had even a projected depth chart before we could even begin to imagine the stat sheet between D'Q and whoever the other inside LBer would be.Having said that here is a tweet from Bret Sobleski where he speculates on who the starters will be. Bret, aka SOBO, has written for ESPN on the college side and is a big Browns fan and also writes for a scouting site.

Expect Horton 34 to look like: DE - Taylor, NT - Rubin, DE - Winn/Rucker, Jack - Sheard, Buck - JMJ - Mike - DQwell, Will - No. 6 draft pick

He speculates that James-Michael Johnson will start at the 'buck' position and that D'Q will man the 'mike' position. I would pose a question to Jene or the Guru as to which of those two positions typically racks up better IDP stats but I would guess it is the 'MIKE' that D'Qwell Jackson will man however any move from his current MLB position in a #### Juron 4-3 to a Ray Horton 'MIKE' in a 3-4 will mean an IDP hit.

Also right now the 'BUCK' position is far from locked up by JMJ IMHO. LJ Fort is an ILB and he emerged from out of nowhere to get PT last year. Craig Robertson, not JMJ took over for Scott Fujita at the begining of last year at the 'SAM' (strong side outside linebacker) and was very good in coverage. Chris Gocong played 'WILL' (weakside OLB) before he got hurt but filled in for Fujita at 'SAM' and he has decent size and strength to play any LB postion IMHO so he might be a contender at 'BUCK'.

Also just throwing this out for concerns over Sheard making the move to 3-4 OLB. Another tweet from SOBO.

Been saying same for awhile now @AaronAloysius After watching some tape this week, I'm convinced Jabaal Sheard will thrive as a 3-4 OLB
you always bring us solid Browns info and I appreciate it but I wouldn't be down on DQ in Horton's D just yet.Darryl Washington had an OK season as the MIKE in ARZ

'Shane Falco said:
you always bring us solid Browns info and I appreciate it but I wouldn't be down on DQ in Horton's D just yet.Darryl Washington had an OK season as the MIKE in ARZ
Well I guess its a matter of defining terms that people interpret differently when trying to project numbers.A famous French philosopher by the name of Voltaire said; "If people only had the courage to define thier terms, many an argument would be dissolved in a sentence."So when I say expect D'Qwell Jackson to take a 'hit' by any switch to a 3-4 I'd have to back up and explain that statement.D'Q came into the league under Romeo Crennel who had Grantham as his DC and they ran a 3-4. D'Qwell then played under Mangini who had Rob Ryan as his DC and they played a 3-4. Jackson was ok to solid but gradually increased his numbers (93, 101, 154 tackles) to turn into a stud MLB in a 3-4. But then he got injured the next year (only played six games with 59 tackles). D'Q got injured and missed the 2010 season and some overlooked him when the team hired Shurmur who had Juron and his 4-3 scheme. I had noted the Rob Ryan 3-4 scheme left Jackson 'uncovered' and thus open to getting injured. In the 4-3 D'Qwell had two huge beefy DTs in front of him forming a 650 t0 700 pound wall of mean and they 'covered' him by taking on guards and centers whick left him 'UN-covered' to fill gaps. The very first year in that system he racked up a career high 158 tackles but he had two veteran OLBers on his wings in Scott Fujita and Chris Gocong. Last year both Fujita and Gocong were basically gone all year and D'Q was missing either DT Phil Taylor or DT Ahtyba Rubin for much of the year so his tackle numbers plunged to 118. A switch back to a 3-4 means D'Qwell will be 'uncovered' once again and open to injury and even though the LBers surrounding him 'should' improve either via FA or a rookie or two from the draft, the players will be learning a new scheme under a new DC so even though Darryl Washington had a very good year last year, 134 tackles, he didn't get there overnight. His rookie season he started out with 78 tackles then improved the next year with 107 tackles before he had his big season in his third season with Horton.So yes, a MLB in a Ray Horton system 'can' wrack up IDP numbers but when comparing a third-year up-and-coming LBer in his third year in that system to a eight year guy who has had one big year as a MLB in a 3-4 when he was ALSO in his third year in the same 3-4 system when he was an up-and-coming LBer but when left 'uncovered' in the 3-4 he suffered a spate of injuries.I guess my caution is a combination of a new system/new coaches along with anticipated new players surrounding D'Q and just tempering expectations. I don't expect a crash and burn but I would not expect high water numbers for D'Qwell Jackson in his first year in a Ray Horton defensie scheme.Also Horton is not giving away anything on the type of system he plans on running. My link
... He ran a 3-4 in Arizona and with the Steelers, but "I'm a coach of men, whether it's 3-4, 4-3, 5-5, I don't care. I'm going to coach men."
He said he can run anything and I believe his system will hinge on a couple of things. One if DE Jabaal Sheard can successfully make the transition to play UP at OLB and what sort of player they expect to get with the #6 pick. If that player is a DOWN 4-3 DE or an UP 3-4 OLB.Typically a rookie DOWN DE who is asked to make the transition to an UP 3-4 OLB takes at least one year but others like Anthony Spencer take longer HOWEVER I have noticed that veteran NFL DE's who have successfully made the transition have done so much quicker. Last year both the INDY DEs, Dwight Freeny and Robert Mathis, made the transition. I remember Miami's 4-3 DOWN DE Jason Taylor also made a very quick and successful transition so if DE Jabaal Sheard seems like he will be able to make a quick and successful transition then it would pave the way for Horton to implement his scheme.Also for Browns fans, its MUCH EASIER for a team to switch over its defensive scheme since defenses, by nature, are REACTIVE and these transitions are not as painful or lengthy as trying to install an offense.

I understand comparing Washington and DQ is only natural because they play the same position in Horton's former and now current defenses, but it's really not fair to either of them. Different players. Don't really want to dig too much into the Browns new defense as there's a lot more questions than answers, but I would definitely be concerned about DQ's value taking a hit.I felt real good about having Sheard and Brandon Graham as my DE's 2 weeks ago, but...not anymore. Here's hoping Ninkovitch gets moved to DE in MFL...

In Mobile for the Senior Bowl this week, and will have much more when I catch up early next week.The terminology for inside linebackers in 3-4 fronts is variable and confusing, but the tweet above is -- I think -- suggesting JMJ as the presumptive strong inside backer and Jackson as the weak inside backer. For fantasy purposes, we're looking for the ILB who plays every down and fits the role he'll play. I'm not sure JMJ -- or anyone currently on the Cleveland roster -- fits well as a SILB. Some of Jackson's value will be dependent on the SILB playing well, but he should do well if the defensive line stays healthy.This is a defensive system that uses a lot of ILB blitzes, so there'll be a big play bump for an every-down ILB here, too.

I understand comparing Washington and DQ is only natural because they play the same position in Horton's former and now current defenses, but it's really not fair to either of them. Different players. Don't really want to dig too much into the Browns new defense as there's a lot more questions than answers, but I would definitely be concerned about DQ's value taking a hit.

I felt real good about having Sheard and Brandon Graham as my DE's 2 weeks ago, but...not anymore. Here's hoping Ninkovitch gets moved to DE in MFL...
i feel you here. i have him and fletcher cox.

Philly Mag: Birds 24/7 says there is a "good chance" the Eagles transition to a 3-4 defense under new head coach Chip Kelly.Kelly hasn't publicly spoken on the transition, but since his hiring it has been rumored that is the direction he is looking. The Eagles also have yet to hire a defensive coordinator, however 49ers DBs coach Ted Donatell has been linked as the favorite. New Eagles coaches reportedly discussed the transition with Illinois OLB/DE Michael Buchanan at the Senior Bowl, as well. The move would likely be bad news for MLB DeMeco Ryans, but DL Fletcher Cox would seem to be a perfect fit as a 3-4 defensive end. so pretty much all the Philly IDPers are screwedCole / Graham / Curry will be OLBsRyans once again will be a bad fit and Kendricks is undersized anyway

@AdamSchefter posted: Saints announced today that defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo and secondary coach Ken Flajole have been relieved of their duties.
Also rumors that Peyton wants to move to a 3-4.edit: And while making sure that the twitter link was correct, I see Adam is also reporting that the Rams picked up Rob Ryan

Philly Mag: Birds 24/7 says there is a "good chance" the Eagles transition to a 3-4 defense under new head coach Chip Kelly.Kelly hasn't publicly spoken on the transition, but since his hiring it has been rumored that is the direction he is looking. The Eagles also have yet to hire a defensive coordinator, however 49ers DBs coach Ted Donatell has been linked as the favorite. New Eagles coaches reportedly discussed the transition with Illinois OLB/DE Michael Buchanan at the Senior Bowl, as well. The move would likely be bad news for MLB DeMeco Ryans, but DL Fletcher Cox would seem to be a perfect fit as a 3-4 defensive end. so pretty much all the Philly IDPers are screwedCole / Graham / Curry will be OLBsRyans once again will be a bad fit and Kendricks is undersized anyway
ugh.

In Mobile for the Senior Bowl this week, and will have much more when I catch up early next week.

The terminology for inside linebackers in 3-4 fronts is variable and confusing, but the tweet above is -- I think -- suggesting JMJ as the presumptive strong inside backer and Jackson as the weak inside backer. For fantasy purposes, we're looking for the ILB who plays every down and fits the role he'll play. I'm not sure JMJ -- or anyone currently on the Cleveland roster -- fits well as a SILB. Some of Jackson's value will be dependent on the SILB playing well, but he should do well if the defensive line stays healthy.

This is a defensive system that uses a lot of ILB blitzes, so there'll be a big play bump for an every-down ILB here, too.
Indepth read on how the Browns IDP's might fit into Horton's defensive scheme.My link

Projecting the Browns Front Seven to Ray Horton’s Defensive Scheme

January 24th, 2013

... looking at the players’ skill sets and projecting them the best I possibly can.

Ahtyba Rubin:

When the Browns previously employed a 3-4 defense, Ahtyba Rubin was the nose tackle. I expect him to return to the position. He may have the athletic ability to hold up as a 5-technique (defensive end in a 3-4), but I feel that his best fit is at nose. Rubin isn’t ever going to be an elite nose tackle, but he’s a solid starter and his skill set fits the position well.

Phil Taylor:

When Phil Taylor came out of Baylor, many draft pundits hyped him up as a pure nose tackle. Due to the hype, many expected Taylor to be drafted by a 3-4 team. In watching Taylor at Baylor, I always felt he had the athletic ability and versatility to play anywhere from nose tackle to 5-technique on the defensive line at the next level. Simply using him as a nose tackle and not moving him around at all would be wasting the freakish athletic ability that he possesses for a man his size. I expect Ray Horton to use Taylor in multiple spots on the defensive line, but in the base defense, I think that he’ll start at 5-technique (defensive end). Taylor has the combination of athletic ability and strength to really thrive at the position.

Billy Winn:

In being drafted in the sixth round, Billy Winn wasn’t expected to be a big-time contributor during his rookie season. Now that the 2012 season is in the books, his future looks very bright. Winn showed impressive athletic ability for a defensive tackle and also showed a great deal of versatility. He dropped into coverage on 18 snaps and lined up as a defensive end on 43 snaps in 2012. This versatility will help Winn in transitioning to Ray Horton’s defense. I expect Winn to compete for a starting position at 5-technique opposite Phil Taylor. I also expect Horton to take advantage of Winn’s versatility and athletic ability by moving him around.

Jabaal Sheard:

When Jabaal Sheard was in the 2011 NFL Draft, many expected him to be a good fit as an outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense. After playing his first two seasons at left defensive end, it’s time for Sheard to make the switch. Sheard’s role won’t change a ton as he makes the transition. Rather than being in a 3-point stance on most downs, Sheard will be standing up the majority of the time now. He will still be asked to rush the passer most of the time. Also, this may be surprising to many, but Sheard stood up on 22.1% of pass plays in 2012 and dropped into coverage on 6.1% of those plays. Sheard will undoubtedly have to drop into coverage more often and he may have to lose some weight (may not have to), but his skill set fits the position well and I expect him to play well in Ray Horton’s defensive scheme.

D’Qwell Jackson:

In transitioning to the new defense, D’Qwell Jackson will likely be moved to the weak inside linebacker position as the Mike linebacker. Jackson’s skill set fits the position well, but not quite as well as it fit the Mike linebacker position he played in the 4-3. Jackson will be asked to shed blocks more often in the 3-4 because there won’t be as many bodies in front of him to keep him clean. Jackson will have to improve his ability to get off blocks and make plays in the backfield if he wants to thrive in the 3-4 defense.

James-Michael Johnson:

After starting eight games at strong side linebacker as a rookie in 2012, James-Michael Johnson will likely transition to the strong inside linebacker position as the Ted linebacker in Ray Horton’s defense. Johnson does a decent job of getting off blocks and making tackles. These are both important skills for the position, as he will be asked to take on lead blockers on a regular basis. I don’t expect Johnson to simply be handed the starting job, but I definitely think he will be in the mix for the starting Ted linebacker position.

John Hughes:

John Hughes should transition to nose tackle in switching to the 3-4 defense. Hughes is strong at the point of attack and he rarely takes plays off. He should provide excellent depth behind Ahtyba Rubin at nose tackle.

Chris Gocong:

Although Chris Gocong tore his Achilles tendon and missed the 2012 season, he is still under contract at this point in time. Gocong’s best fit in the 3-4 is undoubtedly at the Ted linebacker position. Gocong is good at taking on blocks and he can make an impact as a pass rusher from the inside. Horton likes to send his inside linebackers on creative blitzes and Gocong could be very valuable in this role if he is under contract. I expect Gocong to be in the mix for the starting Ted linebacker position with the aforementioned James-Michael Johnson.

Kaluka Maiava:

Kaluka Maiava is an impending unrestricted free agent. Although he had a very under appreciated season starting every game at weak side linebacker in the base defense, I don’t expect him to return. If Maiava were to re-sign, his best fit would be at Mike linebacker in the new defense due to his athletic ability. Maiava would bring solid depth behind D’Qwell Jackson.

Frostee Rucker:

I am uncertain of how good a fit Frostee Rucker is for a 3-4 defense. Rucker has held up well in the run game as a base defensive end in a 4-3 throughout his career, but the double teams he will face in a 3-4 are a different animal. Rucker’s best fit, position-wise, is undoubtedly as a 5-technique. Rucker will probably be in the mix with Billy Winn to start at 5-technique, but I give Winn the edge due to the fact that he is much more stout at the point of attack.

Craig Robertson:

I expect Craig Robertson to keep the same role in the new defense as he had in 2012. Robertson was a nickel linebacker throughout the entire season due to his abilities in coverage. Robertson is a restricted free agent, but he should be back in 2013. In the base defense, Robertson will probably transition to Mike linebacker, but I don’t expect to see him very often, if at all, in that role.

LJ Fort:

LJ Fort played 98 snaps in 2012, splitting time at both strong side linebacker and middle linebacker. Due to his length and physicality, I expect him to transition to Ted linebacker in the new defensive scheme. With a strong offseason, Fort could challenge for the starting job at the position.

Ishmaa’ily Kitchen:

Ishmaa’ily Kitchen played 212 snaps in 2012, mostly as a 1-technique defensive tackle. Kitchen is strong at the point of attack and his best fit in the new scheme will undoubtedly be at nose tackle. Kitchen should provide solid depth at the position.

Emmanuel Stephens:

Emmanuel Stephens was actually putting together a pretty solid campaign in 2012 before being placed on injured reserve with a neck injury. He produced one sack and 8 quarterback hurries in 149 snaps as a rotational defensive end. Stephens will be joining Jabaal Sheard in making the transition from defensive end to outside linebacker. It is hard to tell how comfortable Stephens will be dropping into coverage and standing up because he hasn’t done much, if any, of it in his career up to this point. If Stephens is comfortable standing up, he has a chance to be a contributor because the Browns simply don’t have very many pass rushers on the roster at this point in time.

Other projections:

Tank Carder- Ted linebacker

Brian Sanford- 5-technique

Auston English- Outside linebacker

In my opinion, the Browns shouldn’t have as much trouble making the transition to a new defensive scheme as they did in the past. The Browns have a lot more talent in the front seven now than they did back then. Additionally, Ray Horton is a great defensive mind and he should do an excellent job of adapting his scheme to his personnel. The Browns currently have two huge needs in the front seven. An elite pass rushing talent at outside linebacker and depth everywhere.

A couple of interesting names being tossed around for the Saints according to Adam Schefter:

Adam Schefter‏@AdamSchefter

Two defensive coaching candidates the Saints will consider adding to staff include Eric Mangini and Romeo Crennel, per… http://say.ly/sKG52jD

I would have to imagine they would be up for the DC position but Schefter only says 'sfaff' hmnnn. They reportedly want to switch over to the 3-4 and both were HCs and DCs so both are qualified.

A couple of interesting names being tossed around for the Saints according to Adam Schefter:

Adam Schefter‏@AdamSchefter

Two defensive coaching candidates the Saints will consider adding to staff include Eric Mangini and Romeo Crennel, per… http://say.ly/sKG52jD

I would have to imagine they would be up for the DC position but Schefter only says 'sfaff' hmnnn. They reportedly want to switch over to the 3-4 and both were HCs and DCs so both are qualified.
Pretty much ruins Cameron Jordan

Philly Mag: Birds 24/7 says there is a "good chance" the Eagles transition to a 3-4 defense under new head coach Chip Kelly.... The move would likely be bad news for MLB DeMeco Ryans, but DL Fletcher Cox would seem to be a perfect fit as a 3-4 defensive end. ...Ryans once again will be a bad fit and Kendricks is undersized anyway
Why would the switch to a 3-4 be a bad fit for Ryans or Kendricks?

Philly Mag: Birds 24/7 says there is a "good chance" the Eagles transition to a 3-4 defense under new head coach Chip Kelly.... The move would likely be bad news for MLB DeMeco Ryans, but DL Fletcher Cox would seem to be a perfect fit as a 3-4 defensive end. ...Ryans once again will be a bad fit and Kendricks is undersized anyway
I thought it was already covered but Ryans was a poor fit in the 3-4 with Hou ala Vilma when he was in the same type of D. Kendicks is likely too small but we'll have to see it play out.There is also the chance that Ryans gets purged with other high-price vets

Still waiting on Philadelphia, St. Louis and now New Orleans to hire a defensive coordinator and decide on a specific defensive direction…

The two big story lines from this offseason’s coaching changes? Only one defensive coach got a head coaching gig (Gus Bradley) and there are a small handful of teams who will be making major philosophical changes to their schemes.

The first story line shouldn’t be all that surprising. Though Mike Zimmer and Ray Horton may not have gotten a fair shake, we’ve seen what Wade Phillips, Lovie Smith, Jack Del Rio, Perry Fewell, Jim Haslett, Gunther Cunningham, Dom Capers, Mike Nolan, Romeo Crennel and others have to offer. And there hasn’t yet been a coach that has consistently shown that they can defend the read-option, pistol and/or speed no-huddle offenses consistently. Until that happens, it’ll be the offensive innovators that rule the day.

The second story line isn’t surprising either. Coaching turnover happens every year and the multiple front playbook trend hasn’t yet peaked. Don’t tell the Cowboys that, however. They’re scrapping their multiple front playbook in favor the Tampa-2 scheme that was last decade’s flavor of the month.

Buffalo (Mike Pettine DC)

Philosophy: Pettine strongly prefers a multiple front philosophy. His lectures at coaching clinics often showed a flexible one-gap philosophy. So, even when the Bills mix in some 3-4 – which they will do – the responsibilities of the front seven won’t be much different. I’d expect the Bills to lean 4-3 base for now, but free agency and the draft could alter that mix considerably should Buffalo target a high profile hybrid pass rusher. We’re also likely to see more aggressive blitz packages than what the Bills have used in recent years.

Personnel: I wouldn’t worry about Mario Williams. He showed he could pass rush from a two point stance in Houston. Durability is a much bigger concern with him. Marcell Dareus and Kyle Williams can both be effective 5-tech players and fit the right profile for successful fantasy 3-4 defensive ends. I’m more interested in the linebacker group. Nick Barnett is still an attractive short-term IDP option, but I’m not certain how the new staff will see Kelvin Sheppard or Nigel Bradham. Pettine has had “thumping” strong inside linebacker play every down – e.g. Bart Scott – so there’s a chance that one of those two could ascend in value this offseason. It’s also possible we’ll see the Bills draft a weak inside linebacker of the future in April. Though not scheme related, the George Wilson – Da’Norris Searcy competition is also a must watch.

New York Jets (Dennis Thurman DC)

Philosophy: Thurman will share play-calling duty with Rex Ryan. The multiple front philosophy isn’t likely to change, though we may see more 4-3 fronts if the Jets aren’t able to find a viable hybrid edge rusher.

Personnel: If the Jets do trend 4-3, Quinton Coples should be a more statistically productive defensive end. Demario Davis should also benefit from the decision to retain Ryan as head coach.

Cleveland (Ray Horton DC)

Philosophy: Rob Chudzinski told reporters that he expects his defense to be a hybrid front, but that won’t happen with Horton. Horton is going to run a slightly more aggressive version of the fire zone heavy 3-4 playbook he learned under **** LeBeau. There may be a four man front in subpackages, but they’ll be rare. Expect to see the inside linebackers more active in pass rush and the safety more active around the box.

Personnel: Bracie and others have posted lots of good information throughout the thread. I think D’Qwell Jackson is the odds-on favorite to play the fantasy rich weak inside linebacker role, but he’s not Daryl Washington or Lawrence Timmons. Horton didn’t shy away from using his strong inside linebacker in subpackages, so James-Michael Johnson could also have some value. If he can fix his struggles to stack and shed blocks, there’s upside for him, too. T.J. Ward also deserves an upgrade. The tackle numbers may not take a big jump, but the big play counts should be above-average. There were teams looking at Jabaal Sheard as a 3-4 strong outside linebacker, but it’s unlikely he’ll be productive enough to become an upper tier rush outside linebacker. Billy Winn is worth watching as a upside depth option at defensive end if he gets enough snaps in the base defense.

Jacksonville (Gus Bradley HC / Bob Babich DC)

Philosophy: Bradley comes from the Monte Kiffin coaching tree, but draws more heavily on the under front side of the Kiffin playbook. He was a great fit for Pete Carroll, who shares the same philosophy. Babich has coached under Lovie Smith for years. Both Bradley and Babich have Tampa-2 roots, but neither uses it as a base philosophy. Expect the Jaguars to use the same aggressive under fronts we’ve seen in Chicago and Seattle, possibly including some Chris Clemons-like Elephant concepts as well. Depending on personnel, there should be as many man coverage looks as Tampa-2 shells.

Personnel: This ain’t Seattle. Jeremy Mincey isn’t as explosive as Chris Clemons and Tyson Alualu is no Red Bryant. Expect Bradley to address the line early in his tenure. Paul Posluszny and Daryl Smith fit well enough in this scheme, but their value will be more opportunity based than scheme driven. Dawan Landry should continue to be a strong fantasy option, though there’s some risk of variance if the Jaguars have to use more Cover-2 until they can find their own (lesser) version of Earl Thomas and company.

Kansas City (Andy Reid HC / Bob Sutton DC)

Philosophy: Sutton has been with the Jets since 2000, coaching through some major scheme changes (Tampa-2 to Mangini’s less aggressive 2-gap-ish 3-4 to Ryan’s hyper-aggresssive multiple front playbooks). Indications are that Sutton will keep the 3-4 in place but bring some of Ryan’s more aggressive concepts with him. I don’t expect much change here.

Personnel: The two big questions here aren’t scheme related. Eric Berry may not be used as a hybrid nickel linebacker, but his health and level of play should be better than it was last year. Filling the gaping hole at strong inside linebacker could also send a ripple through the back seven.

Dallas (Monte Kiffin DC)

Philosophy: This is a complete overhaul. Gone are the multiple front, multiple coverage packages of Rob Ryan. In its place is the underfront heavy, rarely blitzing, Tampa-2 coverage style of Monte Kiffin that had fallen nearly completely out of favor after being the defensive trend of the 2000s. Kiffin strongly believes in a strong four man pass rush and playing the run on the way to the quarterback. He prefers quick linebackers who can cover and bigger corners that can play the run. The vast majority of his coverage calls will be two-deep shells with the middle linebacker dropping deep.

Personnel: This defense is a strong fit for Bruce Carter. He’s a perfect fit for the weak side linebacker role in a Tampa-2 scheme. Sean Lee was asked to cover deep zones at times under Ryan and was very effective. In the early days of the Tampa-2, it was easy to argue that the elite weak side linebacker would outproduce the middle linebacker statistically. That won’t be the case here. Lee should be fine. I’m not sure I’d say the same of DeMarcus Ware. I think he could succeed as a down defensive end, but I was already worried about the health of his neck. Those is defensive tackle required leagues should bird dog the early reports on Kiffin’s choice at the 3-technique. Jason Hatcher and Tyrone Crawford are both interesting names to watch.

Philadelphia (Chip Kelly HC / Open DC)

There have been plenty of rumblings that Kelly wants to bring a 3-4 front to Philadelphia. It’s still unclear whether Kelly has anyone specific in mind. More on the potential impact of Brandon Graham, Vinny Curry, Fletcher Cox, Mychal Kendricks and DeMeco Ryans when an announcement is made.

Chicago (Mel Tucker DC)

Philosophy: Marc Trestman wanted Rod Marinelli, who would’ve kept Lovie Smith’s philosophy mostly intact. When Marinelli joined Kiffin in Dallas, he turned to Tucker. Tucker has experience with lots of schemes, from Nick Saban’s interesting hybrid 4-3 front to Romeo Crennel’s flavor of the 3-4 to the 4-3 front he’s used in Jacksonville. Locals in Chicago expect that he’ll keep the 4-3 mostly intact, but we’re likely to see some minor philosophical changes away from Smith’s scheme. Tucker could also work in some 3-4 looks over time if the Bears choose to draft in that direction.

Personnel: I think the depth chart dictates 4-3 for now and I doubt we see much change overall. That could change if the Bears decide to move on from Brian Urlacher sooner than later but I don’t expect we’ll see major depth chart movement until 2014.

New Orleans (Open DC)

Philosophy: Sean Payton is transitioning the Saints to 3-4 front. We won’t know the exact philosophy and direction until the new hire is announced, but there will be some changes from the aggressive four man fronts used by Gregg Williams and Steve Spagnuolo.

Personnel: This won’t help the value of Curtis Lofton, but it doesn’t necessarily hurt either. Much will depend on where Lofton plays, the flavor of 3-4 chosen and whether the new coordinator sees Lofton as a coverage fit. There isn’t an obvious edge rusher / outside linebacker on the roster, so expect turnover there. Cameron Jordan could remain an effective fantasy option if the Saints choose a more aggressive, 1-gap flavor of the 3-4.

Arizona (Todd Bowles DC)

Philosophy: The Cardinals don’t seem to want to commit yet, but it would appear that they’d like to keep most elements of the 3-4 in place while introducing some 4-3 concepts. Bowles was in Philadelphia last year, but has coached under Mike Zimmer and Mike Nolan in the past. Both Zimmer and Nolan are known for their flexibility of concepts and fronts. For now, I’d expect to see an aggressive front that stays mostly 3-4 in the base.

Personnel: Ray Horton was hyper-aggressive with Daryl Washington in nickel situations. That’s not likely to continue. Washington’s pass rush numbers weren’t likely sustainable anyway, but the scheme change won’t help. There are indications that Darnell Dockett likes what he’s heard so far, so we could see more fronts that use him in a three-technique role.

St. Louis (Open DC)

The Rams heavily pursued Rob Ryan before deciding to pass. That suggests to me that Jeff Fisher is looking for a coordinator but isn’t ready to stray too far from his aggressive, predominantly 4-3 approach. If that changes, there could be serious ripples for Chris Long, Robert Quinn and possibly James Laurinaitis.

Seattle (Dan Quinn DC)

Philosophy: Quinn has worked with Nick Saban and Eric Mangini, but he’ll keep the same base philosophy favored by Pete Carroll here.

Personnel: The health of Chris Clemons is a concern, but indications are that the Seahawks like Bruce Irvin at defensive end. We’ll also likely see a new body in LeRoy Hill’s outside linebacker spot.

I’m more interested in the linebacker group. Nick Barnett is still an attractive short-term IDP option, but I’m not certain how the new staff will see Kelvin Sheppard or Nigel Bradham. Pettine has had “thumping” strong inside linebacker play every down – e.g. Bart Scott – so there’s a chance that one of those two could ascend in value this offseason. It’s also possible we’ll see the Bills draft a weak inside linebacker of the future in April. Though not scheme related, the George Wilson – Da’Norris Searcy competition is also a must watch.
Nick Barnett and George Wilson were released today.Wilson not a surprise, but LB has to be a massive focus in free agency and the draft now.

The Eagles still haven't disclosed what their D will look like, but the most frequently mentioned possibility is a "4-3 Under" defense,

I thought it was already covered but Ryans was a poor fit in the 3-4 with Hou ala Vilma when he was in the same type of D. Kendicks is likely too small but we'll have to see it play out.There is also the chance that Ryans gets purged with other high-price vets
I don't think he was necessarily a poor fit, but coming off an Achilles is a tough recovery and Houston was paying him a lot of money and already had Vilma.On the other hand, they might not even be going to the same type of defense as Houston (though I'm not ruling it out).

The Eagles still haven't disclosed what their D will look like, but the most frequently mentioned possibility is a "4-3 Under" defense,
Paging Jene or other people with more football knowledge than me: What does that mean for the DL/LBs on PHI roster?

'msommer said:
'ICDogg said:
Paging Jene or other people with more football knowledge than me: What does that mean for the DL/LBs on PHI roster?
Cole and Graham are moving to OLB, and im thinking Ryans will be a LB3 w/ some upside.

'msommer said:
As 5-ish notes, the Seahawks are the best current comp. But it may also end up functioning like a 1-gap 3-4 -- similar to SF, HOU, etc. -- especially if Kelly uses more stand-up Elephant pass rushing concepts.Until we see it on the field, I think it's difficult to know exactly how it'll affect Graham, Kendricks and Cox. For now, I'd think it's likely good for Cox, very possibly good for Kendricks and neutral for Graham pending classification, etc.

Jene, in your mind, if they DO use more of a 4-3 Under....does that mean Cole retains his DE classification, a la Clemons, with Graham/Curry going to LB?

Not sure Cole even fits at all, truly. He isn't a 5-tech type in my mind, and I'm not sure he has the quicks/twitchiness left to play that "Predator" role either, even if asked to just blitz 95% of the time.

'5-ish Finkle said:
Jene, in your mind, if they DO use more of a 4-3 Under....does that mean Cole retains his DE classification, a la Clemons, with Graham/Curry going to LB?Not sure Cole even fits at all, truly. He isn't a 5-tech type in my mind, and I'm not sure he has the quicks/twitchiness left to play that "Predator" role either, even if asked to just blitz 95% of the time.
Will depend on how the Eagles put their depth chart together. I think Cole could do okay in the Clemons role, but he isn't a lock for more than 600 snaps.

At this stage in Cole's career, I think his primary role might be nickel pass rusher, but that is up in the air.

There are reports that Rob Chudzinski wants an aggressive 3-4 as his base defense in Cleveland.Read that as confirmation that the Browns will approach 1-gap 3-4 coaches in the mold of Wade Phillips, Mike Nolan, etc. That's not great news for Jabaal Sheard and it'll be interesting to see how the Browns approach the ILB roles and responsibilities. D'Qwell Jackson isn't a great fit as a SILB and James-Michael Johnson might struggle in either ILB role. More here when the defensive coordinator move is announced.
Browns new Defensive Coordinator:Defensive Coordinator -- Ray Horton (Replacing **** Jauron) -- The Browns should be excited by the acquisition of Ray Horton, who learned under **** LeBeau in Pittsburgh before coordinating an attacking 3-4 defense in Arizona the last two years Their are questions if Sheard can make the move from 4-3 DOWN DE to 3-4 UP OLB so you have reason to worry but new HC Rob Chudzinski (forever will go by the much easier nickname CHUD) has stated that its likely that we will see a 4-3/3-4 'hybrid' since he has stated that base defenses typically do switch up between different defenses.Rubin will still be on the field a ton so you don't have to worry about him.And the question of whether or not the Browns will target a linebacker with their top pick? Very likely linebacker but I certainly wouldn't lock that in at this early stage or rule out anything.Oh and FWIW Sheard has already been asked if he can make the switch should the Browns hire a DC who wants to switch to the 4-3 and he said he definitely can.Add a switch to a 3-4 would obviously mean a hit to D'Qwell Jackson's value.
Honestly it is next to impossible to make any speculation since Horton hasn't stated his base defensive scheme yet let alone have the Browns had their draft or have we had even a projected depth chart before we could even begin to imagine the stat sheet between D'Q and whoever the other inside LBer would be.Having said that here is a tweet from Bret Sobleski where he speculates on who the starters will be. Bret, aka SOBO, has written for ESPN on the college side and is a big Browns fan and also writes for a scouting site.Brent Sobleski‏@brentsobleski Expect Horton 34 to look like: DE - Taylor, NT - Rubin, DE - Winn/Rucker, Jack - Sheard, Buck - JMJ - Mike - DQwell, Will - No. 6 draft pick He speculates that James-Michael Johnson will start at the 'buck' position and that D'Q will man the 'mike' position. I would pose a question to Jene or the Guru as to which of those two positions typically racks up better IDP stats but I would guess it is the 'MIKE' that D'Qwell Jackson will man however any move from his current MLB position in a #### Juron 4-3 to a Ray Horton 'MIKE' in a 3-4 will mean an IDP hit.Also right now the 'BUCK' position is far from locked up by JMJ IMHO. LJ Fort is an ILB and he emerged from out of nowhere to get PT last year. Craig Robertson, not JMJ took over for Scott Fujita at the begining of last year at the 'SAM' (strong side outside linebacker) and was very good in coverage. Chris Gocong played 'WILL' (weakside OLB) before he got hurt but filled in for Fujita at 'SAM' and he has decent size and strength to play any LB postion IMHO so he might be a contender at 'BUCK'.Also just throwing this out for concerns over Sheard making the move to 3-4 OLB. Another tweet from SOBO.Brent Sobleski‏@brentsobleski Been saying same for awhile now @AaronAloysius After watching some tape this week, I'm convinced Jabaal Sheard will thrive as a 3-4 OLB
Any new thoughts on the Browns after adding Bryant, Kruger, and Groves in free agency? I'm not great at analyzing this stuff yet, so please pardon the lack of depth in my analysis, but if Bryant is going to be playing DE, do you think he'll be used in the Caais Campbell role?

Based on the Eagles' post-draft personnel, I can't see them doing a lot of 2-gapping up front. Although they're still pretty mum about what they're going to do, it looks like the base will be the 4-3 Under. Keep in mind that Jenkins of Georgia was still available when they took Logan, as was Williams from Alabama.

Tommy Lawlor, Igglesblitz.com, writes:

I don’t think you draft Bennie Logan in the early 3rd round if you want to run a 3-4 with guys playing 2-gap. That’s just not an ideal fit for a high pick. Logan is ideal for NT in the 4-3 Under. That role requires a player that can anchor against the run at times and shoot gaps on other plays. Logan is that kind of a player. The Eagles have already talked to him about playing in the 315 to 320 pound range. Logan does have 34-inch arms and could slide out to DE if needed, but he’s a limited athlete that is meant to be a 1-tech NT. Over time he’ll develop the ability to be a 3-4 NT, but he’s not a guy that is meant to be a block-eater.

Joe Kruger can play in any scheme. David King is best suited for the 4-3 Under. He lacks the size to be a 2-gap player, but could be a solid 5-tech in the 4-3 U. Heck, it would not shock me if he bulked up enough that he could even be a backup NT, playing the 1-gap technique. King is in the 6-4, 280 range. Bill Davis’ NT in Arizona was Bryan Robinson, who was about 6-4, 305.

Users who are viewing this thread