What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"Cheers": All-Time Ranking (1 Viewer)

Cheers

• Elite Top Ten Show Of All-Time

Votes: 190 51.9%
  • Great Show

Votes: 119 32.5%
  • Really Good

Votes: 28 7.7%
  • Good (For Its Time)

Votes: 19 5.2%
  • Meh

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • Didn't Suck

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not Good

Votes: 5 1.4%

• Total voters

Encyclopedia Brown

Footballguy
The thirty-year anniversary was not exactly this day, but close (September 30th 1982)

In its first season it finished 77th out of 77 shows. It went up against "Simon & Simon" on CBS and "Too Close For Comfort" on ABC, and got killed in the ratings.

Thankfully, it was not cancelled. It went on to hold a Top Ten ranking for the next ten years.

Sam and Diane Assaulting Each Other:

Coach: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScpDRX18sBU

Season One: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LICj7mfmI3k

http://www.lamag.com/laculture/culturefilesblog/2012/09/28/celebrating-emcheersem-on-the-30th-anniversar1

being a comsnob, i love watching actors make interesting choices as they work and, like her or not, Shelley Long's Diane is right there with Lucy & Elaine as being the most fascinating that way. the post-Long/Colasanto "Cheers" was good, the original was epic.

I watched the premiere episode in 1982. I was only 10 years old but I knew it would be a hit. It was different from everything else that was on TV at the time. Such a breath of fresh air.

"Is there an 'Ernie Pantuso' here?"

"That's you, Coach."

"Speaking!"

:lmao:

I watched the premiere episode in 1982. I was only 10 years old but I knew it would be a hit. It was different from everything else that was on TV at the time. Such a breath of fresh air."Is there an 'Ernie Pantuso' here?""That's you, Coach.""Speaking!" :lmao:
They promo'd with that bit over and over and over. And it's still funny.

Great show, especially great for its time and format. I can't compare it to modern dramas, but it did an amazing job of blending comedy, character development, and emotions.

Great show, especially great for its time and format. I can't compare it to modern dramas, but it did an amazing job of blending comedy, character development, and emotions.
Yep. They really made you care about all of the characters, and I also loved how so many episodes were not always centered around the main character (Sam). Sure, Sam always had his own little mini-story in the episodes where his wasn't the main one, but instead of it being one of those shows where almost every episode is focused around the same person or two, the main story from week to week was often focusing on a different character. Great, great writing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never understood the love for this show. Most of the characters were so unbelievable that I just could never get into it and always hated Ted Danson.

I watched the premiere episode in 1982. I was only 10 years old but I knew it would be a hit. It was different from everything else that was on TV at the time. Such a breath of fresh air."Is there an 'Ernie Pantuso' here?""That's you, Coach.""Speaking!" :lmao:
Coach: It's the damnest thing. I've been shivering all the way over here.Diane: Well, Coach you don't have a coat on. It's thirty degrees outside.Coach: Oh, thank God. I thought I had malaria.

I would agree with top ten sitcoms but that's my time and no way it makes it across generations imo.

Here's a Google of top ten sitcoms. You won't find it in many of them. The bar-stage itself loses 1/4-1/2 the viewership.
:lmao: Just look at the first list and you'll see all you need to know about the opinions of the masses.1. Friends (1994 TV Series)

2. Will & Grace (1998 TV Series)

3. How I Met Your Mother (2005 TV Series)

4. The Big Bang Theory (2007 TV Series)

5. Joey (2004 TV Series)

6. Cougar Town (2009 TV Series)

7. Just Shoot Me! (1997 TV Series)

8. Dharma & Greg (1997 TV Series)

9. Yes, Dear (2000 TV Series)

10. Mad About You (1992 TV Series)

11. Seinfeld (1990 TV Series)

12. Malcolm in the Middle (2000 TV Series)

13. Two and a Half Men (2003 TV Series)

14. Perfect Strangers (1986 TV Series)

15. Everybody Loves Raymond (1996 TV Series)

16. Arrested Development (2003 TV Series)

17. Spin City (1996 TV Series)

18. The Simpsons (1989 TV Series)

19. The Office (2005 TV Series)

20. Full House (1987 TV Series)

Paraphrasing:

Coach: "My nickname was 'Red'"

Sam (or someone): "Why? Because you had red hair?"

Coach: "No. Because I READ a book once"

In my top 5 along with these in no particular order:

Seinfeld

All in the Family

Arrested Development

Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Even if you don't like it (can't see how but to each their own) you have to give it some credit for the success of Seinfeld as its lead-in.

'Christo said:
I would agree with top ten sitcoms but that's my time and no way it makes it across generations imo.

Here's a Google of top ten sitcoms. You won't find it in many of them. The bar-stage itself loses 1/4-1/2 the viewership.
:lmao: Just look at the first list and you'll see all you need to know about the opinions of the masses.1. Friends (1994 TV Series)

5. Joey (2004 TV Series)

I have never watched 16 of those

My favorite show of all time. I rank it ahead of Seinfeld. I know I'm in the vast minority, but I never though Seinfeld was funny. Yeah, there were a few shows that I liked, but overall I put Cheers ahead of Seinfeld.

Harry, did you see i scratched my nose.

Yes coach i saw it.

Harry well i scratched it because it itched...

Top 3 show on my list....so many great episodes...Also in my opinion the best final epiode ever - brought back Diane...closure for all the characters including a nice tribute to coach..."Sorry we're closed"

Some of my faves:

Albania....Albania....you border on the Adriatic..

Gary's Old Town Tvern....any one!

Kelly Kelly Kelly Kelly Kelly...K E L L Y

Anything coach centric

I voted great. It's a top 10 comedy but not top 10 across all genres. It's probably not even top 25 across all genres.

brohans this was the best show ever and there is no doubt about it you had real working joes at a bar drinking it off and they were funny sounds a lot like life to this old boy i will tell you that right now so if you like cheers you are my kind of brohan and you can take it to the bank and one more thing any list that has uncle jesse before coach is not even worth wiping yourself off with if you know what i mean so bam right there take it tot he bank brohans from brohston

It must have been after this that all of the sitcom snobs decided they hated the laugh track. Right?

It must have been after this that all of the sitcom snobs decided they hated the laugh track. Right?
Wait, what? The great thing about Cheers is that the crowd laughter was real, not a laugh track.
It was filmed before a live audience, yes, but they still dubbed in laughter."Cheers and other shows were indeed filmed in front of live audiences, but they were “sweetened” in postproduction by Northridge Electronics. Cheers was shot in the eighties and nineties, but you can still hear laughs recorded in the fifties and sixties."

link

another

Hmmmmm, well, that doesn't surprise me. Sometimes, having real crowd reaction is great, like on All in the Family when the audience goes nuts when Edith fights off her would-be rapist, but it can also work against the show, like several instances on Friends where a dramatic moment had laughter for a few seconds cause the audience thought it was gonna be a comedic moment, but quickly realized that it wasn't.

5. Joey (2004 TV Series)

Good lord.

In my top 5 along with these in no particular order:SeinfeldAll in the FamilyArrested DevelopmentIts Always Sunny in PhiladelphiaEven if you don't like it (can't see how but to each their own) you have to give it some credit for the success of Seinfeld as its lead-in.
I would probably add in SOAP there and take out Arrested Development (but it's close)

The two-parter just starting on Hallmark was Jump the Shark territory for me with this show. Robin cheats on Rebecca. Sam sees it. He turns down Colcord's bribe, and tells Rebecca. She thinks he's lying. She finds out he was telling the truth, and doesn't dump Robin. Shrewd, tough businesswoman Rebecca has now completely morphed into a punchline. Almost the entire Robin storyline was a waste of time.

Eh, I don't see it that way. They steered her away from the shrewd, tough businesswoman type early on in her stint, as they found out that she wasn't connecting with audiences, so they made her character more neurotic, which made her funnier and more prone to making bad decisions, like staying with Robin after she discovered he had other girlfriends.

I always wonder what would have happened if Shelley Long had stayed. I would have loved to find out.

Diane >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Rebecca

Sam and Diane would have kept getting back together, breaking up, lather, rinse, repeat. She left at the perfect time, as the Diane character had run her course. She was the better character, but it was time for a change.

I always wonder what would have happened if Shelley Long had stayed. I would have loved to find out.

Diane >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Rebecca
I agree totally. Alley was very good but it always felt like a comedy routine between her and Danson whereas it always felt deep and authentic between him and Long.

I know Shelley really wanted to make movies--and being in her late 30's in that industry is not easy so she probably felt as if the clock was ticking--but I wish she had followed Danson, and Harrelson's strategy: keep your high profile gig and make movies during the summer.

Danson could have bolted after "Three Men And A Baby" but he didn't. Harrelson had "White Men Can't Jump" and "Indecent Proposal" on his resume, but he also stayed. Very smart career choices.

5. Joey (2004 TV Series)

Who did they poll, 13 year olds? No MASH, No WKRP, No All in the Family, No Andy Griffin, No Honeymooners, No Cosby, No Family Ties.

I always wonder what would have happened if Shelley Long had stayed. I would have loved to find out. Diane >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Rebecca
First 3 seasons with Rebecca were as good as any with Diane.Best sitcom ever imo.

Users who are viewing this thread