What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Civil unrest hits! What's in your survival kit? (1 Viewer)

leftcoastguy7

Footballguy
A major terrorist attack has caused civil unrest. The food supply has been disrupted and power is out throughout the country. Looting is rampant everywhere and people are panicking.

What kinds of things should I have on hand to endure this? I would guess lots of bottled water and canned foods. Can opener, firearm, and a battery-operated AM/FM radio. What else would be valuable?

On another note, if this kind of thing happened -- Would you get in your car and try to flee somewhere? Or bunker down in your home?

:popcorn:

In before TGunz says making any effort to prepare for this is silly, and da gubmint will protect us all no matter what.

My thoughts:
Good camping setup is a nice dual purpose place to start. If SHTF you can get off the grid for a week or two pretty easily while things settle down (if you care to do so). If things don't go haywire, you can still enjoy your gear on weekend camping trips. tent, bags, thermarest mats, water purifier, camp chairs, Camp stove, basic utility tool, etc.

Water: Assuming you don't live in a closet, it's pretty easy to set aside space for 10-15 gals of clean drinking water.

Food: MREs, Canned foods, etc. Pretty easy to set aside food for a week or so in a pinch.

Defense: In the unlikely event of major unrest, it's unlikely LEO will be very responsive. Not a bad idea to be able to CYA.

Communication: FRS radios for local chatter. Nice hand crank weather/radio/light/charger isn't a terrible idea.

Booze: While you sit around with your thumb up your ###.

First Aid Kit: Basics... but can be a lifesaver.

Last edited by a moderator:
Based on my experience with the Boston Bombing and Hurricane Sandy, I think most people will shelter in place or get home to be with their family ASAP.

Another tip: always fill up your car with gas before you get home.

In before TGunz says making any effort to prepare for this is silly, and da gubmint will protect us all no matter what.

My thoughts:

Good camping setup is a nice dual purpose place to start. If SHTF you can get off the grid for a week or two pretty easily while things settle down (if you care to do so). If things don't go haywire, you can still enjoy your gear on weekend camping trips. tent, bags, thermarest mats, water purifier, camp chairs, Camp stove, basic utility tool, etc.

Water: Assuming you don't live in a closet, it's pretty easy to set aside space for 10-15 gals of clean drinking water.

Food: MREs, Canned foods, etc. Pretty easy to set aside food for a week or so in a pinch.

Defense: In the unlikely event of major unrest, it's unlikely LEO will be very responsive. Not a bad idea to be able to CYA.

Communication: FRS radios for local chatter. Nice hand crank weather/radio/light/charger isn't a terrible idea.

Booze: While you sit around with your thumb up your ###.

First Aid Kit: Basics... but can be a lifesaver.
Icon is ready! Icon has been ready for years!

My thoughts:

Water: Assuming you don't live in a closet, it's pretty easy to set aside space for 10-15 gals of clean drinking water. Food: MREs, Canned foods, etc. Pretty easy to set aside food for a week or so in a pinch. Defense: In the unlikely event of major unrest, it's unlikely LEO will be very responsive. Not a bad idea to be able to CYA. Communication: FRS radios for local chatter. Nice hand crank weather/radio/light/charger isn't a terrible idea. Booze: While you sit around with your thumb up your ###.First Aid Kit: Basics... but can be a lifesaver.
Icon is ready! Icon has been ready for years!
:goodposting: Holy cow

Based on my parents' experience staying in post-Katrina New Orleans:

Obviously food and water - MREs are great for portable, high calorie meals. Didn't come into play for them in Katrina, but some way to purify water is a good idea. Think Iodine tablets.

Plywood for windows - they boarded up for the hurricane and took them off once the storm passed. Then they put them back up once the looting started.

Batteries - tough to have too many of these.

Full tank of gas plus a 5-gallon can

Shotgun and ammo

Revolver and ammo

A major terrorist attack has caused civil unrest. The food supply has been disrupted and power is out throughout the country. Looting is rampant everywhere and people are panicking.

What kinds of things should I have on hand to endure this? I would guess lots of bottled water and canned foods. Can opener, firearm, and a battery-operated AM/FM radio. What else would be valuable?

On another note, if this kind of thing happened -- Would you get in your car and try to flee somewhere? Or bunker down in your home?
Don't forget the equalizer

I have one of those emergency radios that's also a flashlight, and I also have a Gatling gun.

That should be enough IMO.

I have one of those emergency radios that's also a flashlight, and I also have a Gatling gun.

That should be enough IMO.
Nobody comes in here looking for a Gatling gun. I'm gonna have to polish it up, and it will take up a LOT of room in my shop. It could be sitting here for three years.

I'll give you four hundred.... not a penny more.

I think one of the most interesting aspects of this topic is the impact of how Walmart, et al have led the way in the retail industry towards "just in time" distribution of so much of what we consume.

To put it this way, 50 years ago it would take about a month for a community to consume all the stock of their local grocery stores if the stores' supply lines were cut off. Today the community would consume all the stock in about 3 days.

While "just in time" distribution drastically reduces costs, and as such is preferred by both consumers and corporations alike, it has made us much weaker as a society in our ability to weather disasters that could cut of supply chains.

Just enough gas to back it into the garage and keep the engine running for a bit. I have no desire to live in such a world.

:blackdot:

Moving into our new home this weekend, and seriously contemplating a little disaster storage in the basement, just in case...

Politician Spock said:
I think one of the most interesting aspects of this topic is the impact of how Walmart, et al have led the way in the retail industry towards "just in time" distribution of so much of what we consume.

To put it this way, 50 years ago it would take about a month for a community to consume all the stock of their local grocery stores if the stores' supply lines were cut off. Today the community would consume all the stock in about 3 days.

While "just in time" distribution drastically reduces costs, and as such is preferred by both consumers and corporations alike, it has made us much weaker as a society in our ability to weather disasters that could cut of supply chains.
The most interesting aspect of this topic to me is that it's even a topic at all. I realize that there have always been survivalist wackos out there, but they seem to be especially loud right now. Then again, they were pretty loud during the 90s too. Maybe it's a Democrat president thing? I don't know.

Whatever. Short of nuclear war or some dreaded disease like Captain Trips that kills most of us, there will never be enough civil unrest to create the need for personal survival. And if that happens, how many of us are going to be around to survive anyhow?

I would be dead within a few days. I will be completely honest, it's a minor miracle I'm alive in today's world.

Link?

After all the soup is gone, I'm probably falling in with the zombies and just raiding homes of what people leave behind when they move to their bunkers.

Otis said:

Moving into our new home this weekend, and seriously contemplating a little disaster storage in the basement, just in case...
Not you too...
How could this be a bad thing? I've wasted money on a lot of other crap in my life.
Yeah. I mean, Single Otis, who cares. Otis, provider for a family and father of two? I'm ok with putting some modest precautions in place in case we're hit with another Sandy or worse. I'm not talking about a HamBunker here, but really just things like a supply of drinking water, some canned food/meals, batteries and flashlights, radio, first aid kid, some blankets. Really just the basics. I've sure as hell spent way more money on way dumber things, and if this stuff is ever needed I suspect I'll be damn glad to have it.

:shrug:

Politician Spock said:

The most interesting aspect of this topic to me is that it's even a topic at all. I realize that there have always been survivalist wackos out there, but they seem to be especially loud right now. Then again, they were pretty loud during the 90s too. Maybe it's a Democrat president thing? I don't know.

Whatever. Short of nuclear war or some dreaded disease like Captain Trips that kills most of us, there will never be enough civil unrest to create the need for personal survival. And if that happens, how many of us are going to be around to survive anyhow?
I think Katrina / Sandy have opened people's eyes to the fact that our creature comforts are perhaps a little less rock-solid as we have come to believe. The couple hundred measly bucks a few cubic feet of storage space are a small price to pay for peace of mind if something like that (or worse) occurs where you live. :shrug:

I don't think anyone in here is envisioning a zombie apocalypse where we're walking around in a "walking dead" scenario. That said...while it's still unlikely, losing access to electricity, food, water, etc for a week or two isn't that far fetched of a scenario to envision. Pretty cheap/simple bandaid.

If you've got a wife and kid, I'd file it under insurance as being a responsible husband and provider for your family.

My running shoes, a few pairs of socks, Bodyglide, compression shorts, Nathan hydration pack and my mountain bike. Civil unrest typically leads to lots of walking, might as well be comfortable. People undervalue a good pair of shoes & clean socks.

Otis said:

Not you too...
How could this be a bad thing? I've wasted money on a lot of other crap in my life.
Yeah. I mean, Single Otis, who cares. Otis, provider for a family and father of two? I'm ok with putting some modest precautions in place in case we're hit with another Sandy or worse. I'm not talking about a HamBunker here, but really just things like a supply of drinking water, some canned food/meals, batteries and flashlights, radio, first aid kid, some blankets. Really just the basics. I've sure as hell spent way more money on way dumber things, and if this stuff is ever needed I suspect I'll be damn glad to have it.

Sounds like a weekend trip to costco would get you ready. Just throw that stuff in the basement.

Our local beef supply would last a very long time as long as the government didn't confiscate it to feed troops or something.

After that It might suck to eat mostly soybeans for a while, but it's better than starving. Mix in some venison, rabbit and squirrel, and it might not be all that bad.

Otis said:

Not you too...

Sure sign of a good investment: "it's not the dumbest money I've ever spent"

Otis said:

Not you too...

I've bigger sums go up in smoke in the hands of others :shrug:

Otis said:

Not you too...

Not sure how having some essentials stored away is such a bad thing?

I'd be sure to get a hold of a water purification system first. Something small to provide drinking water from streams.

Depending on the season, I'd be on the move to stay in areas where cold wouldn't be an issue. Light camping gear and some spare quality clothing would probably be next.

Then the issue is food. Definitely use my rifle for hunting. Matches for fire would be very handy as well.

If I have all of that, I head for my uncle's land about 100 miles from here. It would take a couple of weeks on foot, but plenty of cover available on the way there. He's got a pretty good place with a basement, fireplace and lots of land for hunting/gardening/gathering plus some firearms and ammunition.

ETA: First place I go straight to is Bass Pro Shops. Their headquarters is here and they have a good size warehouse and a very large store with everything we could need.

As long as "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses." then I'm good.

I head for my uncle's land about 100 miles from here. It would take a couple of weeks on foot,
If it takes you that long to walk 100 miles you should just off yourself when #### goes down to save you an inevitable painful death

I head for my uncle's land about 100 miles from here. It would take a couple of weeks on foot,
If it takes you that long to walk 100 miles you should just off yourself when #### goes down to save you an inevitable painful death
Yeah 3-4 days would be a fairly casual pace.... that's about 25-30 hours of walking for a normal adult.

Anyways... neither here nor there...

Otis said:

Not you too...

Not sure how having some essentials stored away is such a bad thing?
Some weird criticism in this thread.

I'm talking about travelling with my wife, a 4 yr old and an 8 yr old while trying to stay out of sight.

ETA: Looked it up, it is actually 130 miles, and from what you guys are saying, I probably overshot it. Could take up to a week, but maybe less.

Users who are viewing this thread