What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Firefox users, default search engine (1 Viewer)

TxBuckeye

Footballguy
My Firefox browser has decided that Bing should be my default search engine. I prefer Google. I checked the order I have set, Google is first. Yet when I open Firefox, it selects Bing. I went in and actually deleted Bing from the list entirely. I restarted Firefox. It STILL defaulted to Bing. Is this just a glitch, should I just uninstall and then reinstall? Or does someone perhaps know how to fix this? From what I can see on Mozilla, what I have been doing should work. But it isn't and it is driving me a little crazy.

Type "about:config" into the URL field. Check "allow access" or whatever it asks you.

Search for broswer.search.defaultenginename

Change the value from Bing to Google.ca (Google Canada doesn't censor XXX pics like Google US. Just my preference though)

Lemme know if it works.

I thought it was going to work. I found the value and changed it. But when I close Firefox and re-open it, it is set right back to Bing. Is there some sort of "save" option I have to do after editing the entry? I can't find it if there is.

Thing is, I want the small search window at the top on the menu bar. That is the piece I am saying keeps defaulting to Bing. I have Google as my homepage, so I can always go there to search. But I want the quick search to be Google, and it is stuck on Bing. I tried moving it off then back on per your video. It still wen right back to Bing. I guess an uninstall/re-install is my only option.

Weird, man. BING is evil but one of those two options always works for me.

Maybe try a system restore to a point last week or so when Google was your default.

Oh yea, could do that too. Didn't think about that option. I honestly don't think Bing did anything. I think the software is just glitching.

Yeah, I don't mean you necessarily caught a virus. It's just that Bing is a nuisance. When you download certain things, it stealthily installs itself as your default search engine unless you take the time to read the fine print and uncheck some boxes.

Sounds suspiciously like the Conduit Search Protect malware horror show. Cnet is a huge distributor of that one these days, and without the "do you agree to install" box that sort of thing used to mandate. It'll just hijack.

Not hard to take care of if it is the culprit, but it can be hard to spot.

This is a fairly new laptop and, to be honest, I have hardly installed anything. Firefox and Foxit Reader are about it. And I have used those on every laptop I ever had. Maybe Foxit had a check box I missed and did it. It's possible I suppose. But it only affect the quick search window. So like I said, I just turned it off.

Can you remove the Bing! from the search engines? If you go to about :26 in TR's video, you have the option to 'manage Search Engines' if you go there, can you remove Bing from FF?

Can you remove the Bing! from the search engines? If you go to about :26 in TR's video, you have the option to 'manage Search Engines' if you go there, can you remove Bing from FF?
Yea, did that early on. Doesn't stop it from appearing by default. It's weird.

TxBuckeye said:
That happened to me. It was one of those Conduit 'virus' thingys. Google it (Assuming you can get to Google! ;) ) for some instructions!!

TxBuckeye said:
That happened to me. It was one of those Conduit 'virus' thingys. Google it (Assuming you can get to Google! ;) ) for some instructions!!
I did when someone mentioned it earlier. I don't have any of the Conduit symptoms.

I uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox. That seemed to fix the problem. Even reseting Firefox hadn't worked previously.

Users who are viewing this thread