What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The hardest thing to do in sports? (1 Viewer)

Raider Nation

Devil's Advocate
When this question is asked, the answer almost always is "hit Major League pitching." Hard to argue, but I think I could close my eyes and get a bunt down in fair territory off of Aroldis Chapman within 100 or so tries, just out of sheer luck.

But THESE guys... are you freakin kidding me?

I could play against them every day for a year and never take a single point. Not even kidding.

When this question is asked, the answer almost always is "hit Major League pitching." Hard to argue, but I think I could close my eyes and get a bunt down in fair territory off of Aroldis Chapman within 100 or so tries, just out of sheer luck.

But THESE guys... are you freakin kidding me?

I could play against them every day for a year and never take a single point. Not even kidding.
What are we talking here? Win a point? Return a serve? Return a volley?

Serves are easy because of the rules around them in real table tennis. Volley would be difficult, but doable in less attempts than a major league pitch IMO, since their "regular" volley is probably equivalent to an amateur slam which I'm sure most of us have returned occasionally. Winning a point is doable too, with unforced errors and all (or a good return off the serve).

Out of 20 attempts, I think I could win more points in table tennis than hit balls from a major league pitcher. By more, I likely mean 1 vs 0.

You would never make it safe to first.

I never had any illusions of reaching base safely. Just putting it in play would be an enormous accomplishment.

Covering Megatron... Pretty sure I could have 100 chances and get burned 100 times. Prob take my chances at the plate than covering Mega.

I never had any illusions of reaching base safely. Just putting it in play would be an enormous accomplishment.
Wouldn't that be on par with just returning a volly in ping pong?

If you're talking about taking a point in ping pong, that would be like reaching base safely.

Yeah, think along the "all things being equal" lines... sports like the ones mentioned above, where physical mismatches don't come into play.

Obviously, LeBron could post-up any of us and score 100 times out of 100. That's a physical limitation thing. Not talking about that.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no way you could touch a Chapman fastball. Not even to bunt.

In fact bunting may be even more difficult.

If you lay your bat in a bunting stance horizontally across the plate, he's gonna hit it eventually, no? (Assuming he doesn't want to walk you).

Last edited by a moderator:

If you lay your bat in a bunting stance horizontally across the plate, he's gonna hit it eventually, no? (Assuming he doesn't want to walk you).
You would never get it fair. Assuming you're a righty and you could touch it, your lack of readiness for something that fast would push it to the first base dugout area.

P.S. If I'm allowed to wear a full suit of armour, my chances of successfully bunting off of Chapman go up exponentially.

The strike zone is bigger than the barrel of the bat so no, you aren't guaranteed to make contact. Plus you have to pull back in time for it not to be a strike, a ball in the dirt is a strike if you offer at it. Ready to make those quick calls on what to even offer at?

Also about bunting is where do you put your second hand. Scariest part about putting down a bunt against Chapman is late movement that might break your exposed fingers.

Have a picture of me in a ridiculous pose next to my girlfriend, have it leaked on the internet, and then face the locker room the next day.

I don't know if it's the "most difficult", but I would be terrified of being an NFL quarterback- even if I had a great arm and was 6-4 and muscular. 250+ guys with 4.5 speed rushing at you trying to take your head off? No thanks. I watch that and I don't get how they can stay in the pocket and take those hits.

Would you rather get beamed in the back by a Chapman fastball or, wearing full pads, get pummeled off the line of scrimmage by Ray Lewis?

Would you rather get beamed in the back by a Chapman fastball or, wearing full pads, get pummeled off the line of scrimmage by Ray Lewis?
Neither sounds like fun. But the difference is Chapman isn't trying to hit you. It's brave to stand in there against him, but not as brave, IMO, to stand in there against a defensive lineman or linebacker, no matter how much padding you have on.

Neither sounds like fun. But the difference is Chapman isn't trying to hit you. It's brave to stand in there against him, but not as brave, IMO, to stand in there against a defensive lineman or linebacker, no matter how much padding you have on.
If you were at bat, I'm sure he would consider it. I know I would.

Users who are viewing this thread