What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

One Man Trip To Madrid (1 Viewer)

John Bender

Footballguy
Kind of a spinoff on EGs threadI'm debating going to Europe for the first time just by myself on vacation in February or March.Let's say the budget is pretty flexible.My first thought was go to Madrid just because I speak Spanish and it'll probably be easier to get around on my own. I kind of like to roam and don't really want to be restricted by a tour schedule.Country you'd go to? What to check out? How long to stay? Any logistics I should know about? Thinking of booking the trip this week and just going through a travel website. Is there anything I need to worry about when going that route?TIA

Last edited by a moderator:
How long are you going for?

Spain is the only country I've been to in Europe, had a great time everywhere. Barcelona is a bit easier to get around on English. Both it and Madrid have plenty to see roaming around on foot by yourself.

If you speak Spanish then Spain seems like a no-brainer. Wait for Z Machine to check in since he's the resident expert on Spain.

I saw you asking about Madrid, that has some info.

I'd suggest going to Spain with the language comfort zone and Amsterdam although a fabulous suggestion, is awful in February. South of the Alps is where its at.

Valencia, Palma di Maiorca and Seville might be destinations. Spain is very easy to drive FWIW.

Once you get your feet wet I'd suggest any of the following if you are single:

Croatia

Hungry

Slovakia

Lithuania

Estonia

Latvia

gllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

All depends on length of time you have to spend, whether you've been to other European countries before and what your primary goal for going is? Do you just need to go to one place, chill, and recharge your batteries? Or are you looking to get a bunch of different experiences in different countries? Very easy to get around by train. We went to Paris, Florence, Rome, Venice etc in the summer. Had a great time golfing in Scotland with the amigos on another trip (great boys trip). Heard great things about Spain. If it were me, and I had 3-4 weeks, I might book my arriving city and my departing city and then just play it by ear. Can't do that when traveling with a family. But very cool to travel light and just move on when you've had enough of 1 city/country.

I'd suggest going to Spain with the language comfort zone and Amsterdam although a fabulous suggestion, is awful in February. South of the Alps is where its at.

Valencia, Palma di Maiorca and Seville might be destinations. Spain is very easy to drive FWIW.

Croatia

Hungry

Slovakia

Lithuania

Estonia

Latvia

Spent a month in Croatia some 10 years back ... the women ... good lord ... the women. Oh, the women.

Out.

It's not a sabbatical or anything. I have vacation time and got a very big bonus from work this quarter so I wanted to do some non work related traveling for once.

I was thinking a week or so. I'd like to relax but I can relax in Florida as long as no one tries to eat my face off while on bath salts. So, point being, I'm looking to experience the destination as a tourist normally would. I don't see myself really city hopping in one weeks time.

I like exotic cuisine, good alcohol, history, museums, and just wandering around alone.

I've taken a lot of trips around the US with no itinerary planned and got off the plane and just decided what to do from there. This seems like it would need more planning.

Really just looking to travel overseas before I get too old.

Seville, hill country (Jerez), down to Morocco or, better, over to Portugal's Algarve, then take the girl you hook up with there anywhere she wants - that's how i'd spend Feb/Mar in Europe. The boys are right about the Balkan womens, tho - god, are they right....

One of my best friends was in Madrid this week for the first time and she went alone. She had no issues, said the museums were good and the people friendly. I lived in Zaragoza and spent a lot of time in Seville but I never spent a ton of time in Madrid. But from what I've seen and done there I think it's underrated, few tourists, good chow and nice gals. I think your original idea was best, go there.

Pissah is right though, Seville/Gibraltar/Morocco is a good sight-seeing adventure. Relax, catch an Sahara breeze and just chill.

One of my best friends was in Madrid this week for the first time and she went alone. She had no issues, said the museums were good and the people friendly. I lived in Zaragoza and spent a lot of time in Seville but I never spent a ton of time in Madrid. But from what I've seen and done there I think it's underrated, few tourists, good chow and nice gals. I think your original idea was best, go there.Pissah is right though, Seville/Gibraltar/Morocco is a good sight-seeing adventure. Relax, catch an Sahara breeze and just chill.
:goodposting: Staying south makes good sense. A cruise through southern France, northern Italy, and parts of the Baltic penisula would be great, but that might make the trip too 'busy,' especially if you're only planning on one week. Spain+ would be really nice.

It's not a sabbatical or anything. I have vacation time and got a very big bonus from work this quarter so I wanted to do some non work related traveling for once. I was thinking a week or so. I'd like to relax but I can relax in Florida as long as no one tries to eat my face off while on bath salts. So, point being, I'm looking to experience the destination as a tourist normally would. I don't see myself really city hopping in one weeks time. I like exotic cuisine, good alcohol, history, museums, and just wandering around alone. I've taken a lot of trips around the US with no itinerary planned and got off the plane and just decided what to do from there. This seems like it would need more planning. Really just looking to travel overseas before I get too old.
southern france / barcelona

If you're a beer :nerd: (like me), Belgium is a no-brainer.
:goodposting: This.I've been to Antwerp 4x for 2-3 weeks each time, and a few days on vacation. The beer selection and quality of the Trappiste monks in the North is second to absolutely none. Plus, you are a 2 hour train ride from Amsterdam.Winner winner chicken dinner. You need Antwerp restaurant recommendations, let me know, all over it.

Croatia

Hungry

Slovakia

Lithuania

Estonia

Latvia

Spent a month in Croatia some 10 years back ... the women ... good lord ... the women. Oh, the women.

Out.
Agree. I was in Croatia a little over a year ago and was absolutely amazed. The hottest women I've seen anywhere. The rest of it was great too.

Sweden.They're pretty friendly to those who speak English.
in February or March.
Cosign with DD. Scandinavia (Denmark, Sweden and Norway) are my favorite European destinations but only in the summer. Same goes for places like Budapest, Tallinn, Riga, etc. At the time you mention, I'd probably do a Spain/France road trip. Can't lose with either country although Spanish wimmenz are much tougher to bed so be prepared to step up your game. Or just skip France and add Ibiza to the Spanish portion.

Croatia

Hungry

Slovakia

Lithuania

Estonia

Latvia

Out.
Agree. I was in Croatia a little over a year ago and was absolutely amazed. The hottest women I've seen anywhere. The rest of it was great too.
You guys been to Sweden or Iceland? easily the hottest wimmenz per capita IMO. Budapest is pretty incredible as well. After visiting those countries/cities and how sexually liberal the women are, I really began to despise visiting places like Italy. Personally, I wouldn't mind if Al Queda vaporized that country except for a few choice museums, restaurants and landmarks.

Croatia

Hungry

Slovakia

Lithuania

Estonia

Latvia

Out.
You guys been to Sweden or Iceland? easily the hottest wimmenz per capita IMO. Budapest is pretty incredible as well. After visiting those countries/cities and how sexually liberal the women are, I really began to despise visiting places like Italy. Personally, I wouldn't mind if Al Queda vaporized that country except for a few choice museums, restaurants and landmarks.
Israeli wimmenz (I'm partial to Haifa region) ... hot as Hades itself; and they tend to live every day like it is their last. Did I mention HOTT!!1!

Toss up between them and the Balkan babes ... slight, very slight edge to the Israelis based on the "live in the moment" mantra.

Croatia

Hungry

Slovakia

Lithuania

Estonia

Latvia

Out.
Yes. Ukraine and Moldova easy better than either of those, Slovakia, Latvia and Lithuania along with Spain rank ahead of Sweden for me.

I'd suggest going to Spain with the language comfort zone and Amsterdam although a fabulous suggestion, is awful in February. South of the Alps is where its at.Valencia, Palma di Maiorca and Seville might be destinations. Spain is very easy to drive FWIW. Once you get your feet wet I'd suggest any of the following if you are single:CroatiaHungrySlovakiaLithuaniaEstoniaLatviagllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
All great places to get some strange if you don't go to China :thumbup:

Croatia

Hungry

Slovakia

Lithuania

Estonia

Latvia

Out.
Israeli wimmenz (I'm partial to Haifa region) ... hot as Hades itself; and they tend to live every day like it is their last. Toss up between them and the Balkan babes ... slight, very slight edge to the Israelis based on the "live in the moment" mantra.
Semi-serious question: how receptive are they if they know you're not a member of the Tribe? Or do they tend to assume most people are?

Croatia

Hungry

Slovakia

Lithuania

Estonia

Latvia

Out.
Israeli wimmenz (I'm partial to Haifa region) ... hot as Hades itself; and they tend to live every day like it is their last. Toss up between them and the Balkan babes ... slight, very slight edge to the Israelis based on the "live in the moment" mantra.
Semi-serious question: how receptive are they if they know you're not a member of the Tribe? Or do they tend to assume most people are?
Hard to mistake me for a member of the tribe ... wayyyy too much ink, waayyyy to " eye-talian" looking ... Ergo ...Those wimmenz who did party it up with me knew right off the bat ... sexually liberated, the none too "****" kind are genuinely friendly and open.

Just know that marriage is never gonna be on the table ... which is fine; cuz I don't travel with a ring in my pocket .. mr right now, not mr. Rightenbergowitzstein

Croatia

Hungry

Slovakia

Lithuania

Estonia

Latvia

Out.
Hard to mistake me for a member of the tribe ... wayyyy too much ink, waayyyy to " eye-talian" looking ... Ergo ...Those wimmenz who did party it up with me knew right off the bat ... sexually liberated, the none too "****" kind are genuinely friendly and open.

Just know that marriage is never gonna be on the table ... which is fine; cuz I don't travel with a ring in my pocket .. mr right now, not mr. Rightenbergowitzstein
Interesting. Wish I had gone to Israel before I went to China. :( .

'otb_lifer said:
'johnnycakes said:
'otb_lifer said:
'Major said:
'Ketamine Dreams said:
'otb_lifer said:
'Doctor Detroit said:

Croatia

Hungry

Slovakia

Lithuania

Estonia

Latvia

Out.

Interesting. I was never too impressed with the Israelis I'd encounter in NYC but that's good to know. I do respect the fact that they can likely kick your ### and know how to handle a gun.

'johnnycakes said:
'otb_lifer said:
'johnnycakes said:
'otb_lifer said:
'Major said:
'Ketamine Dreams said:
'otb_lifer said:
'Doctor Detroit said:

Croatia

Hungry

Slovakia

Lithuania

Estonia

Latvia

Out.

Interesting. Wish I had gone to Israel before I went to China. :( .
China is one of two places I really regret never getting to ... the other is India. Now, with my gf and our 7 year old daughter, looks like those 2 locales are off the table forever ... and if I ever did go, I certainly won't be " sampling" the locals ..

So, to those young and unencumbered men ... GET OUT THERE AND DO IT WHILE YA CAN !!1!

@Major ... try around Ocean Parkway ... some of the most gorgeous Sephardic/Syrian/ Israeli women in all the world ... right in our backyard.

'johnnycakes said:
'Doctor Detroit said:
I'd suggest going to Spain with the language comfort zone and Amsterdam although a fabulous suggestion, is awful in February. South of the Alps is where its at.Valencia, Palma di Maiorca and Seville might be destinations. Spain is very easy to drive FWIW. Once you get your feet wet I'd suggest any of the following if you are single:CroatiaHungrySlovakiaLithuaniaEstoniaLatviagllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
I'm not going to China, guy.Not attracted to asians...at all. :shrug: sorry.

'johnnycakes said:
'Doctor Detroit said:
Oh, I get it. In that case be sure to check out Mykonos, Greece.

BTW - you've given me a ton of good info here. Thanks FFA.

I'm still leaning Madrid just because of the time of season, but my interest is no piqued on Scandinavia or the Baltic States. I want to look at this trip as it being my only opportunity to go to Europe so I want to go to the right place in case it is a once in a lifetime trip

'johnnycakes said:
'Doctor Detroit said:
Banging fellow bewildered tourists in the shadow of the Great Wall down?

'johnnycakes said:
'Doctor Detroit said:
Banging fellow bewildered tourists in the shadow of the Great Wall down?
Fabulous word play here. :bowtie:

'John Bender said:
It's not a sabbatical or anything. I have vacation time and got a very big bonus from work this quarter so I wanted to do some non work related traveling for once.

I was thinking a week or so. I'd like to relax but I can relax in Florida as long as no one tries to eat my face off while on bath salts. So, point being, I'm looking to experience the destination as a tourist normally would. I don't see myself really city hopping in one weeks time.

I like exotic cuisine, good alcohol, history, museums, and just wandering around alone.

I've taken a lot of trips around the US with no itinerary planned and got off the plane and just decided what to do from there. This seems like it would need more planning.

Really just looking to travel overseas before I get too old.
Go to Paris. I am not even the biggest fan, but if you haven't been to Europe before, it is really a must. Paris is also solid for all of the above.

'Bucky86 said:
Spain or Italy. Italy might turn you into a :porked: but it'll be worth it. Skip Milan...Rome and anywhere else is better.
Loved Milan...very underrated city.

As a single man, I'd advise doing the Amsterdam/Belgium double. Excellent weed, excellent beer, excellent ladies, tonnes of museums, and none of their cities require transit to get around, everything is pretty well walking distance.

However, since you speak Spanish you might as well take advantage of that convenience and hit up Madrid or Barcelona which are obviously both fantastic places in their own right.

Also, I wouldn't go to any European country simply for the women; you'll have little issue finding plenty of stunners in just about any mainland European country, apologies to Ireland/England.

so many people not getting the Feb/Mar part in this. not only does that put NEur out, the central Mediterranean is quite clousy & drismal during that time of year.

i love Greece - next to my homeland Ire, my most visited country - but Ibiza>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Mykonos

:blackdot:

I don't think I'll be able to afford it this year, but hoping to take a solo Europe trip in 2014 and time it during one of the major music festivals. Exit Festival in Serbia during July sounds incredible.

so many people not getting the Feb/Mar part in this. not only does that put NEur out, the central Mediterranean is quite clousy & drismal during that time of year.i love Greece - next to my homeland Ire, my most visited country - but Ibiza>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Mykonos
Isn't Ibiza just a druggie/rave party island for young adults, or have I been given false information?

so many people not getting the Feb/Mar part in this. not only does that put NEur out, the central Mediterranean is quite clousy & drismal during that time of year.i love Greece - next to my homeland Ire, my most visited country - but Ibiza>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Mykonos
:goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: I lived in Germany for nine years, Feb/March is the suck and their weather is better than Belgium and the Netherlands. You won't see the sun in the Benelux for weeks on end, horrible place to go in late winter. Netherlands is great in the summer though, oh the times I had in Nijmegen. :wub:

Isn't Ibiza just a druggie/rave party island for young adults, or have I been given false information?
that's pretty much right, from what i hear - the difference is authenticity. i was a guest of the Clifford Irving estate while he was in prison, exactly 40 yrs this wk (a gf's dad was his moneyman) and Ibiza was really something then. it's essentially a Hollywood party that began almost half a century ago. pretty tired & mostly noisy and the original guests are dead, but they know what theyre doing. Mykonos is, has always been & always will be a nest of clueless poseurs. the closest approximation of the old Ibiza are the British post-hippie colonies on the southern part of Rhodos.

Maybe he wasn't thinking of that as an issue and now would rather go to some of those places a few months later.

Spain would be great. Madrid in nice for a couple of days, tops. Barcelona for another few. Finish the trip with a weekend in Palma de Mallorca or Ibiza to get you single guy swerve on.

'John Bender said:
It's not a sabbatical or anything. I have vacation time and got a very big bonus from work this quarter so I wanted to do some non work related traveling for once. I was thinking a week or so. I'd like to relax but I can relax in Florida as long as no one tries to eat my face off while on bath salts. So, point being, I'm looking to experience the destination as a tourist normally would. I don't see myself really city hopping in one weeks time. I like exotic cuisine, good alcohol, history, museums, and just wandering around alone. I've taken a lot of trips around the US with no itinerary planned and got off the plane and just decided what to do from there. This seems like it would need more planning. Really just looking to travel overseas before I get too old.
paris, florence, venice, zurich, munich (but weather might be an issue)

Users who are viewing this thread