What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I need to relocate somewhere with nice weather (1 Viewer)

Sabertooth

Footballguy
I need to get the #### out of Michigan. I've lived here my whole adult life in a tiny litter ####hole called. Escanaba. In the Upper peninsula. I've had it. The schools are bad, there is zero culture. There are zero prospects for my kids, no jobs, and the place is just a dead end. I've lived in this same town for 38 of my 40 years. The town is shirking and dependent on the paper industry. My wife and I are summer people.

I am a house flipper and have been for 3 years, I have two little girls and a wife. She has stated her condition of moving is being a stay at home mom. So it we be my income only. I haven't worked for anyone else since 2009. Been on my own with the business but it's time to face the music here about the good ole UP.

How does one properly begin the process of relocating. Seems almost impossible.

Figure out where you want to go first. Then work on finding a job there. Then move the family. It isn't always easy but I know plenty of people that have done it.

I moved from southeast Michigan to just north of West Palm Beach with whatever could fit in my truck, and the knowledge that I had a job in the area. I was engaged with my fiance still attending school, so I was able to stay with a relative for a few weeks until I found an apartment in town. That was in 2007. I now own a home with my wife, 2 kids, a third on the way, and now with my sister and brother-in-law an hour away. It's certainly not easy, but it was worth it. I never have to shovel snow again, my parents are nearing retirement, and the weather is generally pleasant. Sure, there's the threat of hurricanes, but not very often.

I've never been, but supposedly San Diego has the best weather in the country. Charlotte, NC has real strong income in comparison to cost of living. Austin, TX is booming.

These 3 would be on my hit list if I was relocating.

I can't stand anything

I've never been, but supposedly San Diego has the best weather in the country. Charlotte, NC has real strong income in comparison to cost of living. Austin, TX is booming.

San Diego is an option although I've never been to that area. Charlotte is an option. I would never be able to handle all the Texans in Texas to be honest. Never met dooshier people than those from Texas. They are like crossfitters but instead of talking about crossfit, all they talk about is Texas. And that's the people who left.

I can't stand anything

San Diego is an option although I've never been to that area. Charlotte is an option. I would never be able to handle all the Texans in Texas to be honest. Never met dooshier people than those from Texas. They are like crossfitters but instead of talking about crossfit, all they talk about is Texas. And that's the people who left.
Clearly you have limited experience with people from New York/ New Jersey. All I hear from October to May is how great it is there. If it's so great, go back.

I need to get the #### out of Michigan. I've lived here my whole adult life in a tiny litter ####hole called. Escanaba. In the Upper peninsula. I've had it. The schools are bad, there is zero culture. There are zero prospects for my kids, no jobs, and the place is just a dead end. I've lived in this same town for 38 of my 40 years. The town is shirking and dependent on the paper industry. My wife and I are summer people.

I am a house flipper and have been for 3 years, I have two little girls and a wife. She has stated her condition of moving is being a stay at home mom. So it we be my income only. I haven't worked for anyone else since 2009. Been on my own with the business but it's time to face the music here about the good ole UP.

How much work do you do on homes when you flip them? There some areas around the Gulf of Mexico where you can make some serious money if you're willing to do full renovations.

I do quite a lot. Interiors mainly. Electrical, plumbing, kitchens, baths, drywalling.
http://money.cnn.com/gallery/real_estate/2014/01/23/hottest-housing-markets/3.html

Top ten housing markets as of January. Fort Worth, New Orleans, Tampa, and Birmingham all listed there. And some of those - notably New Orleans - have a lot of homes that need a whole lot of work. You can still buy places there that are fully gutted and need to be completely redone on the inside.

I'd recommend Arizona. Pretty big flipping market and the weather is great if you can deal with a ton of dry heat in the summer.

Never done any pool plumbing up here. We get about 2 months of summer. Not many pools. Tons of cold lakes though.

When I made the move, it was tough. I did it with no job. Not sure I would suggest doing that.

Also, make sure you know what money in the UP compares to the area you plan to move. I had a buddy move from Cincinnati to San Diego because his company offered him almost twice what he was making. After he moved there, he realized he took a huge pay cut.

I can't stand anything

San Diego is beautiful. The weather is perfect everyday...just don't expect to own a home unless you have a million dollars to spend.

I can't stand anything

I'm from NE Wisconsin and have been to Escanaba many times so I understand where you're coming from. I'm a bit older than you and moved to Chicago for a few years, Northern CA for 19 years, and Dallas for about 5 years. You are dead wrong about Texans. They were the friendliest, most fun people we ever met. The climate was great, the housing is phenomenal, and I am sure there is big demand for the type of skills you have. And, the cost of living was very low compared to the other places we lived.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never done any pool plumbing up here. We get about 2 months of summer. Not many pools. Tons of cold lakes though.
It's not very hard. The main issues are working outdoors in hot weather and the increasing likelihood of dealing with fire ants.

Oof. I have family in Cheboygan...couldn't imagine living anywhere like Escanaba.I moved from Bay City to central Florida 20 years ago. best thing I ever did was get out of Michigan. May be moving to Charlotte next year, its a nice non-extreme place weather wise. It gets cold in the winter, but no snow (other than a dusting maybe couple of times a year) and summers arent brutal like FL.

San Diego is awesome but cost of living compared to where you're at would make your head spin.

I can't stand anything

I'm from NE Wisconsin and have been to Escanaba many times so I understand where you're coming from. I'm a bit older than you and moved to Chicago for a few years, Northern CA for 19 years, and Dallas for about 5 years. You are dead wrong about Texans. They were the friendliest, most fun people we ever met. The climate was great, the housing is phenomenal, and I am sure there is big demand for the type of skills you have. And, the cost of living was very low compared to the other places we lived.
Agreed. Texas was great. Very friendly. And depending on where you live, a lot of the people are actually people just like you who didn't want to live up north in the cold anymore.

I can't stand anything

Prejudices usually are wrong. Thanks for the post. I do have an aunt who lives in Dallas.

Oof. I have family in Cheboygan...couldn't imagine living anywhere like Escanaba.I moved from Bay City to central Florida 20 years ago. best thing I ever did was get out of Michigan. May be moving to Charlotte next year, its a nice non-extreme place weather wise. It gets cold in the winter, but no snow (other than a dusting maybe couple of times a year) and summers arent brutal like FL.

San Diego is awesome but cost of living compared to where you're at would make your head spin.
Oh its a #### hole no doubt.

I'd recommend Arizona. Pretty big flipping market
:yes:

You'd have done really well had you jumped in 2-3 years ago. Values have rocketed back up & seem to now stabilized.

As noted, summers can be brutal if you don't like extreme heat. I spent most of my winter in Phoenix area this year & I can't recall many days below 70 all winter (warmest winter I can remember) while most everyone else was experiencing hell.

I can't stand anything

Agreed. Texas was great. Very friendly. And depending on where you live, a lot of the people are actually people just like you who didn't want to live up north in the cold anymore.
Like where would that be? Which areas have lot of upper midwest refugees like myself?

I'd recommend Arizona. Pretty big flipping market
:yes:

You'd have done really well had you jumped in 2-3 years ago. Values have rocketed back up & seem to now stabilized.

As noted, summers can be brutal if you don't like extreme heat. I spent most of my winter in Phoenix area this year & I can't recall many days below 70 all winter (warmest winter I can remember) while most everyone else was experiencing hell.
Anyone know about the Denver area? Seems a lot like the UP. Outdoorsish, but with actual beauty instead of Iron Ore mine tours and lakes so cold they don't give up their dead.

I can't stand anything

Like where would that be? Which areas have lot of upper midwest refugees like myself?
I don't know if they are from a certain area, but I lived in The Woodlands, just north of Houston. It seemed like almost anyone who live there was from another part of the country. Very few Texans lived in The Woodlands. It was like an expat community.

I can't stand anything

DFW has boatloads of Michiganders. I would easily live in Texas again before I even considered living in Florida, but it's hot as #### in the summer. It's great in the spring and winter, but you can't really be outside a lot in the summer. There aren't many places in this country without extreme weather of some sort, and those places have earthquakes.

I can't stand anything

I don't know if they are from a certain area, but I lived in The Woodlands, just north of Houston. It seemed like almost anyone who live there was from another part of the country. Very few Texans lived in The Woodlands. It was like an expat community.
Sounds good. I'll keep that in mind. I don't know that I want to be in a city. More like a town about the size of Appleton.

If you wait long enough, the weather should be just fine in Michigan.
The weather in Michigan in the summer beats any place I have ever lived. It's awesome.
It's pretty nice up here in July but by late August you are already wearing a jacket. We couldn't really put our jet ski in lake Michigan until 4th of July weekend last year. I expect it to be mid-July this year with all the cold and ice we got.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kansas City is not a bad place to live. You will get winters here, but generally they are relatively short (compared to what you are used to) and you will get some 50 degree days sprinkled in from December through February.

Cost of living here is pretty reasonable and the flipper market is pretty good here. There are also a lot opportunities for remodeling type jobs if you want or need something to tide you over.

Housing rates for renting and buying are reasonable, and the schools here are good for your kids.

New Mexico is pretty nice and the cost of living is low. Santa Fe is a neat town.

I'd probably move out west somewhere if I could just go, New Mexico, Tucson, Colorado, etc. I think Phoenix has more former Michiganders than any metro area in the U.S., but I hate the desert. #### the desert.

I've never really been to the desert. I am going to look into Colorado and the Carolinas for sure. Wife has a very close cousin who lives in Texas.

I've never really been to the desert. I am going to look into Colorado and the Carolinas for sure. Wife has a very close cousin who lives in Texas.
Santa Fe is really cool, plenty of culture, you will find more art/artists there than in almost any other city in the country. The food is amazing (assuming you can handle some spice).

One of the things I really like about Charlotte is its a short drive to the mountains, and a couple of hours from the Atlantic coast. Best of both worlds if you like outdoors and beaches.

DONT go to Florida...its nice weather but hard to make a living ....not to mention everyone's bat #### crazy down there..
What makes you say its hard to make a living in FL? Cost of living isn't high, jobs aren't hard to come by, and yes, people are bat #### crazy.

Users who are viewing this thread